Quail Creek Cinema - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 84 Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well guys, here we go. I received a wealth of info from this forum and I would like to thank you all! It's time I give back and share some of my build. I've been working on it off and on for a while now. I do the work as the money comes in. In the next few weeks as time allows I'll be posting progress pics of my build. I'll try posting my first pic of the room which the previous owner called a "finished" room in the basement The dimensions are 13Wx23Lx71/2H. I've received the blessing from the wife to start the project as long as I agreed to do the main part of the basement in conjunction with it. I'll do my best to keep a balance.

"Nick, what did your dad get done in the movie room tonight?" "Nothin', he just went down there and stared again".
Build Link
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post18526304
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hello and welcome. If you have been lurking here for some time you know what type of maddening journey this theater thing can be. The more you learn it seems, the more you need to learn so get used to that feeling.

Looks like you have a great "finished" space to work with to start your adventure. Are you going to be doing some demo or just starting with what the previous owner left for you to work with. Sometimes it helps to sketch and list out what your plans are for the room. This helps you/and us, visualize what you want to do and how we can help you to get there. I understand the budget as I have been in your shoes. There are times where there will be lots to do that doesn't take much money (demo, unless you break something ) and other times you'll need to put a tourniquet around your wallet to stop the hemorrhaging.

The most important things to remember......Have fun and enjoy your project, ask lots of questions, post lots of photos, and it doesn't matter if you spend 1k or 100k as long as your theater puts a smile on your face.

One quick suggestion. If you could make your photos a little larger (so us old guys don't have to squint) that would be really appreciated.

Good luck and welcome to the journey.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #3 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, good point. I'll resize those images.

"Nick, what did your dad get done in the movie room tonight?" "Nothin', he just went down there and stared again".
Build Link
post #4 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Wow! That's a lot of wood! And I think I have that same light fixture in one of the bed rooms in our house

Any plans yet? Number of seats, screen size, colors? Any problem areas you've identified? Any ideas on what sort of equipment you'll be using?

I'm always interested in these builds when they are in the planning stages. I'm still researching, but hope to be in your shoes in a few more months.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #5 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. Got the pic thing figured out. Hopefully they are big enough for all to see. Thanks for the pep talk RTROSE! It's easy to find yourself consumed by this whole dedicated Home Theater thing. If I had it my way I would dump tens of thousands into it but, the reality of it all is that I don't have tens of thousands! I will make the best of what I have. As far as your demo question....I gutted the room. I wanted to start with a blank canvas. I'll post pics soon of the demo process. Time and money seem to be my worst enemies right now so progress has been slower than I would like but, progress is being made.

J_P_A, thanks for your interest in my build. It is and exciting project but time consuming. Sometimes it's hard to stay motivated. When you've been working all day the last thing you want to do is come home and work all night!! I try to get a little something done every night no matter how big or small. As far as my plans for the room. I already have a 120" Elite screen which I bought used but in new condition from w00ly (thanks again w00ly) and a Panasonic PT-AX200U which I just love! I plan on purchasing an Onkyo receiver which will be housed in an in wall audio rack. Columns, sconces, can lights, halogen screen lights and treated walls covered in upholstery are in the plans. In my minds eye it looks beautiful! We'll see how all this pans out. Good luck on your build! Keep me posted.

Build Link
post #6 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok RTROSE....if it's demo you want, it's demo you'll get!! Like I said before, I wanted to start with a blank canvas, nothing in my way if you know what I mean. I'm glad the demo decision was made. There was bad wiring in the ceiling and we also found a little surprise! Needless to say demo was a good call!

Build Link
post #7 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neaner72 View Post

....... Sometimes it's hard to stay motivated. When you've been working all day the last thing you want to do is come home and work all night!! I try to get a little something done every night no matter how big or small.....

I can understand that completely! I put down hardwood floors in my entire house a few months back, and it was the same deal. I work all day, come home and work on the floors until 10:00 or 11:00 and then All day on the weekends. Did that for two solid months. When I was done, I was so sick of hardwood floors I almost wanted to put carpet down over it.

The good thing about a HT is you can sit and watch it when it's done

post #8 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 739
I just got an idea for a new "show me" thread"

"Show me your dead animals in walls"

Good Grief.
post #9 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Nice surprise, Bullwinkle! I hope you didn't tell your wife about that find - if she's anything like my wife she would then be convinced that she is hearing more << insert type of rodent here >> scampering around behind the new walls.

Keep 'er going!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #10 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yeah, what hanesian said. I'm surprised you didn't smell him first. I think you have a perfect space to work with. I like the shape of the room and the large door openings.
post #11 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

LOL! It had been dead for so long it didn't even weigh nothing! Scared the crap out of me when I was yankin down the ceiling! Did tell the wife though....it helped justify the demo

Build Link
post #12 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 10:45 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

You should be able to build this theater for peanuts now that you have helpers.
post #13 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

YIKES! Petrified squirrel! That alone did justify the demo for sure. Glad to see you want a blank slate, it really is the best way to do things. I would be in the camp of not telling the wife/SO. Just too much for the imagination to run wild with.

I'm with Big, new sticky show-me thread for dead critters found during your build.

Regards,

RTROSE

BTW thanks for making the photos bigger!

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #14 of 84 Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well, now that demo is complete, it's time to start resurrecting this room. I purchased an eight-pack of 6" can lights at my local Menards and put up 6 of them. Fairly simple and cheap project. Future lighting will include 3 halogen lights in front to show off my 120" Elite screen and sconces on the side walls. I'm also considering using my existing audio rack and building it into the wall under the stairs. I will have access to it from the 5th bedroom. Ive always like the ease of access to my components idea so, I think I'm gonna run with this one. I know it's not framed properly, I'm just trying to get an idea of what it will look like........I think I like it!

Build Link
post #15 of 84 Old 04-25-2010, 02:21 PM

SQUIRREL!!!!!

Looks good! I hate shopping at Menards, but have to do it from time to time
post #16 of 84 Old 04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The rack looks really good SQUIRREL!!!!! there. I think you just found a new home for the rack. Oh and your right it isn't framed properly!

While you still have access to your can lights go ahead and secure the arms so they don't rattle. Some of us have siliconed the arms others (like me) have used zip ties. I just would not use duct tape as it would tend to creep after time. Maybe overkill but my can lights don't rattle!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #17 of 84 Old 04-25-2010, 04:09 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

What are your goals for keeping the sound contained in the theater? If it is important to you now is the time to develop a game plan and we can help you spend your money.

For starters those can lights should get backer boxes.
post #18 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Looks good! I hate shopping at Menards, but have to do it from time to time.

Yeah, I hate shopping at Menards myself. It's the Wal-mart of Home Improvement Stores. Sometimes it has to be done. Most of the stuff there is junk!

Build Link
post #19 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are killing me with this whole squirrel thing! LOL! Got the rack framed in properly. I think your right RTROSE, the rack has a new home! As far as the can lights making noise... I crimped the tracks down. No rattles here! As far as sound proofing the room, I'm just keeping it simple. The walls and ceiling will be filled with fiberglass battings to help reduce any noise reflection inside the walls and ceiling. The interior walls will be treated with linacoustic and fabric. We're pretty simple folks and don't do alot of entertaining so, I'm not concerned about the sound throughout the house. When we watch movies we're usually all together

Build Link
post #20 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Looks good! I hate shopping at Menards, but have to do it from time to time.

Yeah, I hate shopping at Menards myself. It's the Wal-mart of Home Improvement Stores. Sometimes it has to be done. Most of the stuff there is junk!

If you are going to menards, then you must be in the midwest?
I have never heard the wal-mart of home improvement before, but that's the whole truth and damn funny to boot!
post #21 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ok guys, the audio rack is framed in properly. The walls are framed and insulated. Lights are all in and all circuits are live! Hung the screen and projo to get myself motivated. Man! I can't wait until this is done! This is way to cool! I've been wanting to do this for years. Now, it's finally happening!

Build Link
post #22 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok guys, the audio rack is framed in properly. The walls are framed and insulated. Lights are all in and all circuits are live! Hung the screen and projo to get myself motivated. Man! I can't wait until this is done! This is way to cool! I've been wanting to do this for years. Now, it's finally happening!

And he lived happily ever after watching movies in his HT which was "almost completed" when he died of old age.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #23 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
SQUIRREL!!!!

Great space, nice build and congrats on finishing so fast You know that since the projector is hung, the screen is up, speakers in place and Nemo on the screen that this build is officially COMPLETE!!! Ohh it was a great run but yet another one down

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #24 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh no! You put up the SQUIRREL!!!!!..... PJ. It's all over now! Just stick the popcorn machine in the corner and call it good

Sorry, I didn't really have anything to offer, but I had to jump on the squirrel band wagon too.

post #25 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy Cow!!! Have you not learned anything........Have we not taught you anything?????????? You went and put up the projector. HT CARDINAL SIN NUMERO UNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well this "build" thread is officially done!

Best of luck!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #26 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
How the hell did you manage to install lights and insulate the entire room in a day and a half??

I've been working 3 days on just installing the insulation! I've spent 8 full hours with that itchy crappy stuff and just finished tonight at 9:30 PM.

And besides that, my entire room is COVERED with fiberglass dust. It's going to take me another several hours just to clean it up. And you've already got your equipment mounted!!!

I need to know your secret!

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #27 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Relax guys! This is not the fastest HT build on the planet. I've been at this off and on for a year now. I already have drywall up. I'm playing picture catch-up. You guys were so right, once that PJ went up the build stalled for a good 3 months. I would go downstairs to work and would always end up in a folding chair watching a movie! No worries though.....the PJ and screen are down and I'm back in the saddle! I'll have more pics up soon.

Build Link
post #28 of 84 Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Stop resting and get back to work!

Mike
post #29 of 84 Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Whew! That was a close one! I almost had to use my super powers on you to get that PJ down!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #30 of 84 Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
neaner72 where abouts do you live? We have a quail creek neighborhood near me. Not sure if it a popular name but I've seen it before in other states.

Always Up for a Good Zombie Flick
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page