Pimp My Garage - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 963 Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Brad,

Well words can't really express the true feeling of how your room looks. Very, very well done. You truly have a very classy and great looking theater. All of the elements have come together in that rare combination to make it absolutely fantastic. You should be very happy, thrilled, and proud of how it all has come together.

Enjoy!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 963 Old 06-12-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Brad,

This is TERRIFIC - you should be proud !!
And how about that screen...?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #543 of 963 Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Congrats buddy, looks awesome finished. The lights are organized and play out great in your room!
post #544 of 963 Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Absolutely AWESOME Brad. I really like the color combinations you used and the soffit downlighting. It's clean and has nice accent lines. Congrats!
post #545 of 963 Old 06-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brad,

I really like your color scheme.
You have black soffits and espresso bean color in the ceiling.
What colors are you using on your walls?
I had somewhat similar scheme but the color on the walls does not look good so I am looking for other options.

Thanks
post #546 of 963 Old 06-15-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
You guys are too kind, thanks for all the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme View Post

What colors are you using on your walls?

Its Guilford of Maine Fabric, from the Broadcast line, and the color is called Chinchilla. Not sure if you're painting or doing fabric wall coverings? It might be hard to simulate with paint, because it changes in different lighting, due to a mix of a couple colors of thread in the pattern.

Swatch up close:

post #547 of 963 Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Talked to James (Jamestown) and Chris (Seymour A/V) tonight, to get my orders going for the screen frame and material. And now the wait begins...again...
post #548 of 963 Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

So what is the final verdict on the screen size.
Let me guess.
Your false wall can accomodate 136 inch screen. So you chose a 136 inch wide AT screen.
post #549 of 963 Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hemmed and hawed, and eventually decided to go with what "felt right" for both 2.35:1 and for 16:9. I was planning on 2.35:1 CIH, but the height I liked for 2.35:1 just felt too small using that same height for 16:9. So I've decided to go with a CIA-ish format screen - 136" wide (you nailed it), 64" high. 2.35 goes full width, 16:9 goes full height. Masking at some point, but not immediately, unless the bars bug me - they usually don't too much. I'd rather err on the size of big than go too small, and have to completely redo the screen. I've been happy with the picture at this size so far on just a fabric temp screen, Eco mode.
post #550 of 963 Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2709 Post(s)
Liked: 1581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I've decided to go with a CIA-ish format screen - 136" wide (you nailed it), 64" high. 2.35 goes full width, 16:9 goes full height.

I don't think I've ever seen a CIA screen outside of commercial cinemas. So your 2.35 image will be roughly 136" x 57" while your 16x9 image will be about 114" x 64". Wonder how that will calibrate. Does the projector have two settings or will you have to manually zoom?
Quote:

Masking at some point, but not immediately, unless the bars bug me - they usually don't too much.

I doubt they will. The JVC projectors I've seen put out really nice blacks. The bars basically disappear in a dark room.
Quote:

I've been happy with the picture at this size so far on just a fabric temp screen, Eco mode.

Keep in mind you'll lose some light when you switch from your temp fabric to a real AT screen.

Sanjay
post #551 of 963 Old 06-16-2011, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Keep in mind you'll lose some light when you switch from your temp fabric to a real AT screen.

Wow, I would have thought just the opposite. I assumed the weave would be tighter on the AT screener (smaller holes), but I suppose that may not be the case. I guess if he has a non-AT fabric up, then there would be some light loss...... Hmmm

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #552 of 963 Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the projector have two settings or will you have to manually zoom?

Manually (power) zoom and shift. Not as elegant as the panny presets, but there were a number of factors I was trading off as far as projector features - price, light output, power zoom/shift/focus mandatory, pq, noise, etc - so had to compromise there. The panny is pretty much the only game in town with the presets (other than one vaporware projector).

Quote:

Ray called and reminded me of that as well (and noted that I need to compare the AT material without fabric behind it) - I did however compare output on a fabric (weave) sample, and if anything it was a little brighter, the weave is 1.2 gain, I guess the muslin I'm using is probably sub unity gain.

I can see Ray shaking his head now - much bigger than he advised - and I do appreciate your advice Ray! - but I decided immersion was important to me - and I can always zoom it down when you come over. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Wow, I would have thought just the opposite.

Depends of course on the fabric and screen material in question - as mentioned above, I found it to be as bright, actually a little brighter, but the fabric I was using wasn't intended as screen fabric, just something cheap to test sizes with - so could be low gain. I wonder if the weaves lose less light than say a perf screen.
post #553 of 963 Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Brad,

I about a month behind you so It will be great to see how you like the size of the screen.

I just got my projector yesterday so I am going to play with various screen sizes.
My current thought is 130 Inch wide and 62 Inch high. This will give me a 110 Inch 16:9 screen. 110 Inch will be much better size than 98 Inch wide 16:9 screen that I would have had if I went to 2.35 130 screen that was 55 inch high.

My basement height is 105 Inches but soffits take up a lot of space so I am left with 92 inch height. I hope I can get away with a 62 high screen. I have read recommendations that viewing angle from seating position should be no more than 15 degrees. I have to figure out how to calculate the viewing angle from my primary seating position.
I am thinking of positioning the screen about 20 inches from the ground and this will give me 10 inches above the screen.

I don't plan to do any masking in the beginning. Bars have not bothered me in the past.
post #554 of 963 Old 06-16-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2709 Post(s)
Liked: 1581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post
The panny is pretty much the only game in town with the presets (other than one vaporware projector).
Worth giving up that one convenience for the better picture you got.

Sanjay
post #555 of 963 Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Beautiful Job Brad, Your theater is georgeous!

Brad

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #556 of 963 Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Awesome Theater Brad!! Beautiful Job!
post #557 of 963 Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Pretty fly................for a white guy!!

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #558 of 963 Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Love to watch you theater come together. It has helped me make some of my decisions. I'm also trying to figure out the best screen size, but don't have to decide quite yet, but i'm putting in the biggest screen that i want to have and if the first projector i get doesn't fill it, then i'll mask off part of the screen. Eventually when i upgrade projectors (which i'm sure by then will only be brighter), I can then unmask if needed. Future proofing. .. . But who knows by then maybe i'll want a silver screen or whatever new stuff is out then. Just a thought.
post #559 of 963 Old 06-18-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Worth giving up that one convenience for the better picture you got.

Yup, plus having visited several local HTs with you guys that have the JVCs, it made me pretty confident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Beautiful Job Brad, Your theater is georgeous!

Thanks namesake, I'm happy with how its turning out so far. Nothing quite to your level of woodwork mastery, but I am at least becoming quite handy with fabric - I think I'm at about 22,000 staples, and still have the screen wall to do, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterChad View Post

Awesome Theater Brad!! Beautiful Job!

Thanks Chad! Getting there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Pretty fly................for a white guy!!

Man, is it that obvious, do I act that white online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Pete View Post

i'm putting in the biggest screen that i want to have and if the first projector i get doesn't fill it, then i'll mask off part of the screen. Eventually when i upgrade projectors (which i'm sure by then will only be brighter), I can then unmask if needed. Future proofing. .. . But who knows by then maybe i'll want a silver screen or whatever new stuff is out then. Just a thought.

Thanks Doc! Yeah, that was my thought as well, hopefully the screen will live through a few projector upgrades.

Last night I watched Moon on the muslin sheet - the bars are really barely noticeable, and not at all distracting. Masking shmasking.
post #560 of 963 Old 06-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Liked: 11
Brad - took a break from my construction to check out your thread. Theater is really looking good. Love the colors. Keep up the good work

Thanks,

David Tester
Tarheel Born, Tarheel bred, Tarheel till I die!!!

"Don't Worry, Don't Hurry" Cinemas
HT Construction Thread
post #561 of 963 Old 06-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Hey Brad,

I was wondering where u purchased your LED rope lighting and what color u used?

-RG
post #562 of 963 Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoolio32 View Post

Hey Brad,

I was wondering where u purchased your LED rope lighting and what color u used?

-RG

Here's a link to it RG - warm white incandescent:

http://1000bulbs.com/product/2120/SIV-206ULC.html

Oh, and thanks David =)
post #563 of 963 Old 06-21-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Seymour won't have more AT material until 6/30 - oh well, I guess a few more weeks of muslin screen won't kill me - hope to have it by Jul 4th weekend, but unlikely I guess.
post #564 of 963 Old 06-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Did the fan mod on my QSC power amp that drives the THT LP - huge difference, the old fan was a turbo propI just finished scanning through your thread on your project. GREAT WORK!I have a question regarding the QDC fan mod that you pictured on page 5 of this thread. I just bought a QSC RMX 4050HD to drive one/two Danley DTS-10's. Upon powering it up I noticed that the fan noise was very noticeable like a background hum.I have an small audio closet that's on the other side of my front theater wall. It has 73 inch rack rails framed through an opening into the room to mount AV gear. There is another pair of 60-nch rack rails framed inside the closet. Even if I mount the QSC amp inside the closet, it can be heard (muffled) distinctly in the theater room.Can you give me all the info on sourcing and installing the mod? What was the CFM rating of the stock and replacement fans? How many DB did it drop the noise floor?Does your new unit have the CFM's to cool a 4050HD?ThanksPeterC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saudi Zero Edge screen_00001.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	785442  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Saudi Zero Edge screen.pdf (595.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Peterc613; 06-19-2015 at 02:06 PM.
post #565 of 963 Old 06-24-2011, 05:44 PM

This room is GORGOUS!!!! Great job Brad
I am currently in the middle of a remodel and am trying to find inspiration. Your build has given me great ideas that I might be able to use in my room.

Have you been able to run the Pro and Sho-10s through their paces yet? I have a JTR setup right now with a T12 front stage and slanted 8s for surrounds. The slanted 8's are about 12 1/2" deep and my room is not very wide so I was looking to buy something slimmer (that has dynamic sound).

I was looking at some JBL 8430As or some Sho-10s

Thanks for the detailed insight you are providing in your thread!!!!
post #566 of 963 Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post

I just finished scanning through your thread on your project. GREAT WORK!

I have a question regarding the QDC fan mod that you pictured on page 5 of this thread. I just bought a QSC RMX 4050HD to drive one/two Danley DTS-10's. Upon powering it up I noticed that the fan noise was very noticeable like a background hum.

I have an small audio closet that's on the other side of my front theater wall. It has 73 inch rack rails framed through an opening into the room to mount AV gear. There is another pair of 60-nch rack rails framed inside the closet. Even if I mount the QSC amp inside the closet, it can be heard (muffled) distinctly in the theater room.

Can you give me all the info on sourcing and installing the mod? What was the CFM rating of the stock and replacement fans? How many DB did it drop the noise floor?

Does your new unit have the CFM's to cool a 4050HD?

Thanks
PeterC

Thanks for the support Peter!

The fan I used was model FBA08A24L from digikey. Specs say 24 CFM and 21 dB. It is a LOT quieter than before the mod - now the whining from my Sony BD player is the noisiest component in the rack (maybe until I add an XBOX). Neither are audible when the equipment closet is closed now though (the amp definitely was audible before the mod).

Not sure if its enough for your amp, maybe you can find specs on the stock fan for comparison? I found reference to the part I used in other QSC and Behringer pro amp mod threads here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

This room is GORGOUS!!!! Great job Brad
I am currently in the middle of a remodel and am trying to find inspiration. Your build has given me great ideas that I might be able to use in my room.

Have you been able to run the Pro and Sho-10s through their paces yet? I have a JTR setup right now with a T12 front stage and slanted 8s for surrounds. The slanted 8's are about 12 1/2" deep and my room is not very wide so I was looking to buy something slimmer (that has dynamic sound).

I was looking at some JBL 8430As or some Sho-10s

Thanks for the detailed insight you are providing in your thread!!!!

Thanks oc! Yeah, I've been listening to the speakers a lot now that the carpet and seats are in, and I have a projector. Some music, but mostly movies. No regrets at all, I really like what they give me. I've heard a lot about the JTRs, but haven't heard any in person yet. They're not that small though, I think about 10.5" deep, so not much shallower than the slanted 8's.
post #567 of 963 Old 06-25-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Looking real good Brad!

I really like the wall treatments. I may steal some of your ideas on those.....
post #568 of 963 Old 06-25-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
And the countdown (or up) is at 14days.......!!

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #569 of 963 Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 AM

Do you notice an imaging difference between the Pro10s and the Sho10 center you have?
In my room, that 2" difference between my surrounds and the Sho or Pro10s could be significant because of where the columns will be installed (back by the riser steps). I also have two DTS-10s as well. Trying to hide all of this large equipment in a my room gives me a headache everyday.
I just might have to pull a Jay-Z and make an appearance as I live somewhat near you!!!!
Great job and I will continue following your thread!!!
post #570 of 963 Old 06-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Brad,

My muslin screen looked very good and it only cost me $20. It is hard to figure out how much better a real AT screen will look like. The tried 130 wide and 62 inch white muslin screen. I am thinking of going with this size. I am trying to figure out the exact position of the screen.

My ceiling height is 105 inches. Soffits height is 92 inches. Ideally I wanted to have screen bottom 30 inches from the bottom but I don't have the height to do this. I am thinking of having the screen 20 inches from the bottom of the floor. The screen top will be 10 inches from the soffit. My primary viewing position will be around 14-15 feet.

THX recommends maximum vertical viewing angle to be 15 degrees. Based on this I think my screen position should be OK.

How are you positioning your screen?

Thanks
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Sc27 Sc 27 Sc 27 Elite 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Thx Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page