post #661 of 959 Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacjones View Post

I have a seymourAV XD 120" wide x 50" tall 2.40:1 screen that I need to choose a projector for, doing poor man's CIH like you. Are you happy with the Panasonic on such a large screen in widescreen mode?

No, not at all. Because I don't have one. I think at the start of the build thread, I mentioned that I was considering the Panny - but I decided to go for a used JVC RS20, for better blacks and more calibrated lumens (at the expense of not having zoom/shift memory - but still motorized). I'm very happy with the JVC. Its by no means "plasma bright" - but it is plenty strong enough to handle my screen size, even on low bulb setting. I tried high bulb again last night, but still preferred the eco mode (at least at this point - 650 hours on the bulb or so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhibit#4 View Post

Read the whole thread,including the Screen assembly & the manual masking system by Deewan, man did you take on a mother of a project, it definitely should be in CEPRO!
I'm helping a friend with a HT, leaning towards painting the screen with a Maxx Mudd formula from the DIY screen forum, but the Seymour/Jamestown is tempting. Question: If I go your dimensional route by picking a 2.35:1 width & a 16:9 height do the black bars completely cover the parts of the screen not in use or will there be white space showing? If so won't that be annoying without masking?

Not sure what masking you're referring to - maybe mixed up with another thread you read - I don't have any masking. I may add masking at some point, but for now, the bars don't bother me much - the JVC's black levels are such that the bars are pretty dark - not dead black, but not annoyingly gray either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Obviously, I'm not Brad, but I asked him if he was happy with his decision to skip masking, and he said it's working well for him, as is.

If you look closely above and below this image I'm reposting from a few pages back, you can see (especially where the pause icon is, in the lower left) that the screen is slightly less black than the border. It's tough to say from posted screen shots like this if it would bother me, but I think if it looked this good, I'd skip it as well. I tried to find a similar example from Brads posted screen shots of a 16:9 image where you could see the pillar bars, and I couldn't see the pillars in any of them.

Fred

Right, the bars are there, but they're dark enough to me at least to not be super annoying. If I could get a ready made fully automated masking system for $50, I'd do it in a heartbeat - but automated masking is either (a) extremely expensive, or (b) a very challenging DIY project.

Quote:

Sometimes your brain can't wrap around something, this is one of them for me, the projector does not have "Smart Tech" where it knows how wide to make the outside borders of the Black bars go high or wide enough to cover the white screen left over like a traditional Flat panel would. Why is there not white screen showing in any of Brad's screen shots?

Its there, its just dark. You can see it in person, even though it is dark, but the camera can't pick it up. Trick photography.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhibit#4 View Post

Why is there not white screen showing in any of Brad's screen shots?

For the same reason that you actually see black in the image. The dark area around the alien's neck is actually the white screen with nothing shining on it. The projector is not shining a black light for the neck, it is shining nothing. It is all a matter of contrast. The brighter the surrounding image the blacker the dark.

This all goes back to Home Theater 101. If you want great blacks you need a dark room. The lighter the room the more you would see the white boarder.
PaulFSemicolen likes this.
post #663 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess after reading 22+ pages my brain turned to mush, thanks for bringing me back to reality, I liked the Expresso bean color, originally was thinking dark gray but think my friends wife will like the color better while keeping the room nice and dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

For the same reason that you actually see black in the image. The dark area around the alien's neck is actually the white screen with nothing shining on it. The projector is not shining a black light for the neck, it is shining nothing. It is all a matter of contrast. The brighter the surrounding image the blacker the dark.

This all goes back to Home Theater 101. If you want great blacks you need a dark room. The lighter the room the more you would see the white boarder.

post #664 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 06:59 AM

Liked: 11
"Not sure what masking you're referring to - maybe mixed up with another thread you read - I don't have any masking. I may add masking at some point, but for now, the bars don't bother me much - the JVC's black levels are such that the bars are pretty dark - not dead black, but not annoyingly gray either."
Brad, again awesome job, thanks for the explanation, as for the "Masking system" it was post #532 by Super Leo in your thread when you and other people were tossing around whether to use a making system. He suggested checking out a post by Deewan http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1090889 I read it, thought it was pretty ingenious, simple & inexpensive, although it looks like there will be no need for masking from your shots. Projector will be a Epson 8700UB
post #665 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I think your projector choice sure worked out nicely.

Those shots are great.
post #666 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Lovely. Lovely? Lovely! What in the #$^% is going on here? Sorry man but it has to be done.

You CAN get it back, you just need to refrain from ever saying Lovely again.....ever! You are on double secret squirrel probation buddy boy!

Regards,

RTROSE

Like.
post #667 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

No, not at all. Because I don't have one. I think at the start of the build thread, I mentioned that I was considering the Panny - but I decided to go for a used JVC RS20, for better blacks and more calibrated lumens (at the expense of not having zoom/shift memory - but still motorized). I'm very happy with the JVC. Its by no means "plasma bright" - but it is plenty strong enough to handle my screen size, even on low bulb setting. I tried high bulb again last night, but still preferred the eco mode (at least at this point - 650 hours on the bulb or so).

Hi Brad,

Do you know how many Foot Lambers you are getting?

Ivan
post #668 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it was post #532 by Super Leo in your thread when you and other people were tossing around whether to use a making system. He suggested checking out a post by Deewan

Oh yeah now I remember that - yeah, there are a lot of guys that come up with some clever solutions for masking, and that was is nice because it doesn't require a Masters in Electrical Engineering to understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I think your projector choice sure worked out nicely.

Those shots are great.

Thanks Greg...yours looks awesome too! Bet you're enjoying it. What are you going to watch this weekend? I might finally get around to Battle:LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post

Do you know how many Foot Lambers you are getting?

No, I don't have gear to measure it. Just guesstimates based on size, gain, reviewed lumens, etc. I know its not very AV Scientific of me but...I'm happy thus far not knowing, and just enjoying it.
post #669 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

For movies this weekend.....I'm leaning toward watching one of the handful of Akira Kurosawa films I have torrented, or watching something like Star Trek or Dark Knight or Avatar from an actual BluRay to see if the quality is much better than my rips and torrents, which I'm guessing it is.

The upgrade is very significant image quality wise, especially in the sharpness and shadow/black detail. I was surprised at how much improvement the calibration numbers made from the OOTB.

Any BluRay suggestions? Or is my list good...........
post #670 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Greg...yours looks awesome too! Bet you're enjoying it. What are you going to watch this weekend? I might finally get around to Battle:LA.

Actually, if my wife can stand the ridiculous waves of sound from the basement, I may have to crank TRON:LEGACY up for another run.

Just heard Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) and it brought me back.

Still can't believe the mix of audio in that one.
post #671 of 959 Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I still haven't gotten around to watching Star Trek all the way through - just clips. Will have to address that soon.

Tron:Legacy was sick LFE for sure. I only listen at -15 to -10, and it was still very impactful. What level do you listen at?
post #672 of 959 Old 07-30-2011, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That latest Star Trek is one of my favorite LFE movies. Powerful, yet appropriate. You've got to get to it soon!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #673 of 959 Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

That latest Star Trek is one of my favorite LFE movies. Powerful, yet appropriate. You've got to get to it soon!

+1 on the latest Star trek - last weekend was our 3rd viewing

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #674 of 959 Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I actually do have it on Bluray - picked it up cheap at the recent Blockbuster 5 for $20 steals - have watched parts of it, but somehow haven't say down to watch it all the way through.
post #675 of 959 Old 08-01-2011, 06:51 PM

Liked: 14
Great Job Brad! It is looking good-No Great! I highly suggest you watch the whole thing as I think Star Trek is the best of all the Relaunches, and wish J.J. would get going on the sequel.
post #676 of 959 Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks much THX. Upon your recommendation, I just finished watching it.
post #677 of 959 Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

stretched 16:9 (zoom to widen, throw away some content on top and bottom) - I accidentally watched some 16:9 this way because the velvet frame eats light so effectively that I didn't notice I was overshooting quite a bit. Not bad depending on the content.

I kind of stumbled in to this. We had a movie night and all the guests were in their seats and excited for the movie to begin. I thought it was a 2.4 movie and when it came up was 1.85. Everyone was into it so I did not want to stop to zoom in. I have a rs10 with hot buttons for zoom and focus on my rf harmony, so extremely easy to change the aspect - but you still have to disrupt the movie. We watched the whole movie cropped to 2.4 and no one noticed - thanks to the velvet masking and JVC blacks. Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone I watch more and more 16x9 content this way.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #678 of 959 Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Don't tell anyone I watch more and more 16x9 content this way.

I won't tell if you won't
post #679 of 959 Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I won't tell if you won't

Oh god another "dont ask, dont tell" scenario and we are ALL witnesses!!

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #680 of 959 Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantmyTHX View Post

Great Job Brad! It is looking good-No Great! I highly suggest you watch the whole thing as I think Star Trek is the best of all the Relaunches, and wish J.J. would get going on the sequel.

Quote:

I still haven't gotten around to watching Star Trek all the way through - just clips. Will have to address that soon.

Tron:Legacy was sick LFE for sure. I only listen at -15 to -10, and it was still very impactful. What level do you listen at?

Star Trek is phenomenal.

Two scenes I'm still trying to figure out...is that my subs or is that the movie....The warp scene in Star Trek when they warp chasing the Enterprise, and in Tron when he gets sucked into the Laser to the Grid. Both either have crazy LFE that my subs can't reach, or the sound is just that odd. Seems to like echo like you are going into...I don't know a black hole or something.

I've watched the majority of TRON at -3 to reference.

When no one was home.

Just for fun.

It was awesome.
post #681 of 959 Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:

When no one was home.

Just for fun.

It was awesome.

Just for fun? That's highly technical research.
post #682 of 959 Old 08-02-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Star Trek is phenomenal.

Two scenes I'm still trying to figure out...is that my subs or is that the movie....The warp scene in Star Trek when they warp chasing the Enterprise, and in Tron when he gets sucked into the Laser to the Grid. Both either have crazy LFE that my subs can't reach, or the sound is just that odd. Seems to like echo like you are going into...I don't know a black hole or something.

When no one was home.

Just for fun.

It was awesome.

Greg, there's a scene in Star Trek that is best described as "awkward" on my system and a buddies system. When the Enterprise finally blasts free of the black hole. It's just an out of harmony sort of sound.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #683 of 959 Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Greg, there's a scene in Star Trek that is best described as "awkward" on my system and a buddies system. When the Enterprise finally blasts free of the black hole. It's just an out of harmony sort of sound.

That one is weird as well. What about when Eric Bana chases the Enterprise and goes to warp? What does that sound like?
post #684 of 959 Old 08-03-2011, 11:35 AM

Liked: 10
How did you make the panels? Do you have some detailed pictures of those.
Your theater looks awesome.
Best regards.
post #685 of 959 Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSINGH View Post

How did you make the panels? Do you have some detailed pictures of those.
Your theater looks awesome.
Best regards.

Thanks HSINGH. I used the same general approach as GPowers, which he documents here - except I used two layers of 1/2" plywood instead of plywood + MDF. I documented my frames starting about here.
post #686 of 959 Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Modern Warfare 2 load-out.

AK-74 with grenade Launcher. 2nd gun is the resupply pack.

Find a place with a good noob tube from heights and set up shop, claymore each entrance.

Set up claymore. reload pack. Set up 2nd claymore. Reload pack.

Grenade Launch (reload pack) until people get pissed.

And all that because I couldn't join your game the other night.
post #687 of 959 Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is pure quality Greg.

Yeah matchmaking was the suck lately.
post #688 of 959 Old 08-04-2011, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Modern Warfare 2 load-out.

AK-74 with grenade Launcher. 2nd gun is the resupply pack.

Find a place with a good noob tube from heights and set up shop, claymore each entrance.

Set up claymore. reload pack. Set up 2nd claymore. Reload pack.

Grenade Launch (reload pack) until people get pissed.

And all that because I couldn't join your game the other night.

Too much time on Black Ops my friend. It's AK-47 and your secondary is one man army......not that I have EVER done this.

Quote:

That is pure quality Greg.

Yeah matchmaking was the suck lately.

Matchmaking has sucked for me as well. I just replaced my router with a Netgear wndr3700 and it actually has made my xbox live connection worse. I am about to return it and try a different manufacturer.

post #689 of 959 Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks steve I knew something didn't sound right. Those double claymore is fun. Match making has been garbage lately
post #690 of 959 Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

What this thread needs is an UPDATE!!! Lets go already slacker....you act like you live in California with your laid back lifestyle and all.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Sc27 Sc 27 Sc 27 Elite 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Thx Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page