Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 957 Old 09-27-2011, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looks nice.

When do I get to see evidence of a ceiling mounted projector?

Buy GOW3 yet?

-Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 957 Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This is a little out of place now, since its been a few months... But you asked for the feedback. About 2 weeks ago, we finished Red Dead. I would recommend it pretty highly, but it didn't crack into the upper tier of games for me (COD, Uncharted). But few do, so this is a high endorsement none the less. It's the biggest "world" I've ever played in, and took about 30 hours (with ony a 60% completion). The story is good and picks up pace in the second half. I could see someone loosing interest at the halfway point, but it's worth sticking it out. There are a handful of chapters that are as good as anything I've ever played. However, it did have several very repetitive things that got old quickly (skinning your hunt).

I tried online a few times, but as said earlier, it was more frustrating than fun. For that reason, I already sold my copy on Amazon. I got $3 less than I paid, so the game was phenomenal entertainment for $3!

Next up for me is my preordered Uncharted 3 !!! UC2 was perhaps my top entertainment media of any media of all time! It hit all the right buttons for me.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #723 of 957 Old 09-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nicely done Brad. How is your THTLP working out for you in the position you have it. Does it provide the thumping base you want or is that why you're building a second?

-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #724 of 957 Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I took a picture of the projector mount last night, but it came out terrible so I didn't post it - flash made the ceiling look like diarrhea, which isn't what I was shooting for.

Re: THT LP - it's working great now that I have it EQ'ed - the second isn't for more output really, just for better seat to seat balance, and headroom (I EQ'ed rather heavily at a couple dips, so additional headroom will help). Plus i have an extra channel on the sub amp just sitting there, and space behind the screen for it, and it was a fun build, so why not. It's really amazing the amount of output coming from a single 15" driver.

Uncharted 3 is PS3 only, so I guess I'll have to play that at my brother in law's house. Haven't gotten GOW 3, how is the multiplayer? I pretty much only do multiplayer XB Live these days.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #725 of 957 Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Next up for me is my preordered Uncharted 3 !!! UC2 was perhaps my top entertainment media of any media of all time! It hit all the right buttons for me.

Next up for you "should" be COD MW3! Heck that "should" be next for all of us. I know Brad will be there early November with me hacking our way through the new maps with our nube tubes in tow

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #726 of 957 Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Suck it up and get a PS3... Of course I don't have an Xbox. The one I am waiting on is Battlefield3, will probably wait on the next COD until I wear out BF3 for awhile.

As for Read Dead, yes the hunting got real old, but my son had a great time spotting for me (I wouldn't do the shooting others missions with him watching, so we became hunting buddies). We also love the Lego series to play together, just finished the star wars clone wars one.

Now just have to wait for 1 month for BF3, at least the beta is open to all on Thursday to give it a try.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #727 of 957 Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM

Wow so i read all 25 pages of your post and got your name wrong ... go me.
Funny your fathers name is Dan, kinda makes you wonder who i am lol.

No one likes to say how much they're hobbies cost...
Agreed!

Great job Brad!!!
post #728 of 957 Old 10-10-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Dan is quite frugal however his hobbies (to him) are quite priceless. The bigger surprise here is that someone read ALL 25 pages.................LOL

Much love "Dan-O" and why haven't I seen you in the trenches lately???? We NEED to practice soon so that 11-08-11 doesn't catch us off guard.

post #729 of 957 Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

Now just have to wait for 1 month for BF3, at least the beta is open to all on Thursday to give it a try.

I tried the BF3 beta a bit - my son seems to like it a lot, so far I'm not crazy about it, but only played about 15 minutes before I switched back to MW2. Hard as heck to see anyone shooting at you with the 15x scopes and what not. I like engagement more, not the camp up in a building and pick people off games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perensen View Post

Great job Brad!!!

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Much love "Dan-O" and why haven't I seen you in the trenches lately???? We NEED to practice soon so that 11-08-11 doesn't catch us off guard.

Thanks Steve-O - yeah we seem to keep missing each other - time zone challenges I guess, I usually play between 8-10pm when I play on weeknights, so that makes it 11-1 your time. I didn't preorder it, wonder if I should.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #730 of 957 Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I plan on pre-ordering it assuming that I still can. Maybe I will get that done this week yet. Are you planning on getting it (I know this may be a dumb question)? I think I should schedule a month of vacation from 11-8 to 12-8.

post #731 of 957 Old 10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Grow up guys and get back to work. All you all round here need to realize why we build these theaters anyway. It is to watch MOVIES not play some silly game(s). Man where are your priorities anyway?

Now if my theater was only done I could play a REAL game. Need for Speed, now THATS what I'm talking about!

Now if you could only post some screen shots of your gaming exploits, I might be interested.

Regards,

RTROSE

@ Iusteve, I thought you were too busy trying to figure out which PJ you were going to get to be playing games.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #732 of 957 Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It may surprise you to learn that I'm quite the gamer myself, thankyouverymuch!

post #733 of 957 Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like someone sucks at camping.

-Greg

post #734 of 957 Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Sounds like someone sucks at camping.

Now camping is one of those pastimes that my family has experimented with. I found out that I spent three days preparing for a two day camping trip, where I basically packed up my house transported it about two hours to set up in the dark, only to spend the entire weekend doing what I would have done at home, cooking food, cleaning up, cooking food, cleaning up, chasing kids, cooking food, cleaning up, chasing after kids, starting a campfire, chasing after kids and dogs, cooking food, cleaning up, all in a much much tighter space than at home, chasing after kids, dodging storms, tornadoes, cold, rain, wind, burst eardrums, (don't ask), cooking food, cleaning up, then cleaning up the campsite, and then packing up, traveling two hours back home, unpacking, cleaning up the camper, then cooking food and cleaning up. Sounds about right, right?

I decided after four camping adventures (Mrs. RTROSE only needed three to decide) that the whole camping thing was not the RTROSE's family's forte. I have friends and family that absolutely LOVE to camp and plan their summer vacations that way. I say go for it. Just not for us.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #735 of 957 Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Funny stuff RT! And so true!

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #736 of 957 Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Just subscribed to the thread and wanted to say whuts up to the posters. Im starting my theater which is already done but not really done lol meaning i bought a model home with a 14.4 x 20.5 x 9 dedicated theater room and its wired for in wall speakers (that im not gonna use and the rears are on the ceiling and would sit directly above to in front of second row seating) wired with component (which ill switch to hdmi), and wired for a ceiling mount projector (too close to the screen wall) with a faceplate at the front of the room (theres a closet at the back of the room where ill more than likely house the equipment). so i have sort of a blank slate and plan to work on it for about a year depending on how i choose to sound proof paint sconces etc... sorry for the novel..lol

...no use in building a theater that needs quotation marks

post #737 of 957 Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaforty View Post

Just subscribed to the thread and wanted to say whuts up to the posters. Im starting my theater which is already done but not really done lol meaning i bought a model home with a 14.4 x 20.5 x 9 dedicated theater room and its wired for in wall speakers (that im not gonna use and the rears are on the ceiling and would sit directly above to in front of second row seating) wired with component (which ill switch to hdmi), and wired for a ceiling mount projector (too close to the screen wall) with a faceplate at the front of the room (theres a closet at the back of the room where ill more than likely house the equipment). so i have sort of a blank slate and plan to work on it for about a year depending on how i choose to sound proof paint sconces etc... sorry for the novel..lol

Sounds like lots of reading, and some drywall demolition is in your future. I would tear off the drywall and start with a really clean slate and put wires and outlets exactly where you want them.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #738 of 957 Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

^ +1

I did what you are "attempting" to do in my first build only to stop what I was doing and build a brand new theater on the other side of the basement that was previously unfinished. Why I didnt start there in the first place you ask? Well I wanted to save "money", "time" etc. But in the end I saved NONE of those things, in fact it cost me MORE in the long run as I quickly realized the room wasnt wired the way I preferred, wasnt built the way I wanted. Long story short, start as fresh as possible even if stripped down to the studs as you will be able to run electrical and low voltage wiring ANYWHERE you want, place lighting ANYWHERE you want and so on. The best part is once its done you will know the ins and outs of the space and where all wiring is run and will have no regrets.

post #739 of 957 Old 10-11-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

mistaforty,

You would be wise to heed the advise given already. I will add that there are many advantages of starting off with a clean slate. What I suggest is that you start a build thread of your own so we can all gang up er ah I mean mentor you in your project. Welcome to the madness and this thing we call home theater where when we are done, we still truly aren't. If you don't understand that last comment then you have not been involved quite long enough, and you soon will.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #740 of 957 Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaforty View Post

Did you mean to cut and paste that in my build thread too?

-Greg

post #741 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Did you mean to cut and paste that in my build thread too?

haha i knew someone would catch that. I was jumping thru you guys' links and was in the wrong thread...i had subscribed to this one and had a bunch of windows open and didnt realize i was in the wrong one when i posted. I was trying to see which one was more active and it seemed like you guys posted here more.

post #742 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

mistaforty,

What I suggest is that you start a build thread of your own Welcome to the madness and this thing we call home theater where when we are done, we still truly aren't.
RTROSE

I didnt think id post often enough to have my own thread...maybe when i actually take the walls down I will.
LOL I AM familiar with never truly being done in all my other hobbies including motorcycles, guns, car audio, cigars, and whiskey (not necessarily in that order LOL). im not totally new to the HT thing but at the level im about to go which looks like will include some demo and construction I would be just getting my feet wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

^ +1

start as fresh as possible even if stripped down to the studs as you will be able to run electrical and low voltage wiring ANYWHERE you want, place lighting ANYWHERE you want and so on.

Quote:

Sounds like lots of reading, and some drywall demolition is in your future. I would tear off the drywall and start with a really clean slate and put wires and outlets exactly where you want them.

I AM considering taking the drywall down to put up quiet rock and i would take advantage of the open walls in running the rest of the wiring and lighting. my wife will hate me until she DOESNT hear the theater lol.

thanks for the replies!

post #743 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 AM

any of you guys have long HDMI runs? I need to run HDMI to these to hide the boxes. the run to the closet is about 50-60ft. any brand suggestions or should i try to shorten the run? this is the rec room not the theater.

post #744 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I used around 50 feet to my panel in the rec room. I used monoprice for those. much longer and you could have issues. Mine flashes every so ofter too.

One thing I have heard for longer runs is to use baluns (or extenders). The HDMI plugs into the balun, but between the baluns, you run Cat 5e or Cat 6. You can get longer runs this way. More expensive (for the baluns, not cat cable), but should cause less issues down the road, and cat cables are easier to run than hdmi.

I think monoprice sells the baluns too.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #745 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 09:25 AM

ok i did it...lol its the only way ill get started. thanks again and i look fwd to the conversation and help

post #746 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I used around 50 feet to my panel in the rec room. I used monoprice for those. much longer and you could have issues. Mine flashes every so ofter too.

One thing I have heard for longer runs is to use baluns (or extenders). The HDMI plugs into the balun, but between the baluns, you run Cat 5e or Cat 6. You can get longer runs this way. More expensive (for the baluns, not cat cable), but should cause less issues down the road, and cat cables are easier to run than hdmi.

I think monoprice sells the baluns too.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

What do you mean by "flashes" Iwent to monoprice and saw what they call their thickest cable and they had 50 and 75 ft runs...Ill measure it when i get home and see if i can get away with 50. the theater room is closer to the panel and I have a couple of location options for the boxes.

post #747 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Almost like an interference, the screen flashes every minute or so.

As the cable gets longer the signal gets weaker. And with digital, you either get the signal or you don't.

My flashing could be something else entirely too.

Monoprice also sells extender boxes. they are basically HDMI amplifiers you can place in long runs. I bought 1, but have never used it.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #748 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 10:51 AM

Sorry for taking over Brad but I'll add this here for convenience. I'm using a run over 50ft, but not by much and will be using HDMI extenders to boost the signal too. 50 is about the best Max.

-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #749 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM

very informative thread!
post #750 of 957 Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Remember back in the day ... when a guy could come to Brad's thread to read about Brad's HT?

That was awesome!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Sc27 Sc 27 Sc 27 Elite 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Thx Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page