Pimp My Garage - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 956 Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The journey is as much fun as the destination, so I'm in no particular hurry to "finish" mine - whatever "finish" means for an HT. But I do enjoy hearing feedback from others, so that's an incentive by itself.

Now, if it was a client's theater, I'd probably have a significantly different sense of urgency (especially if a fixed bid).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 956 Old 04-06-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

The journey is as much fun as the destination, so I'm in no particular hurry to "finish" mine - whatever "finish" means for an HT. But I do enjoy hearing feedback from others, so that's an incentive by itself.

Now, if it was a client's theater, I'd probably have a significantly different sense of urgency (especially if a fixed bid).

This is SPOT on. I LOVE the journey and LOVE the build process probably more than the finished product hence the reason I killed theater build 1.0 before it was finished to start on theater build 2.0 (a different space all together). It is a ton of fun dreaming, designing and make those designs come to life. Take out the drywall stage and this is better than any job I've ever had. My wife has been begging me lately to "stop with the projects for a while so that we can relax and ENJOY life"......

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #843 of 956 Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
^^^^I love tinkering and doing odds and ends types of things. I truly enjoyed my HT journey and have learned a tremendous amount. I do like the fact I have a "usable" theater, don't know if it will ever be "finished".

I think your attitude plays a huge role in this (or I guess any process) as to what you want or get out of the project. I knew full well going in it was going to be a long process out of necessity. Did I get discouraged at times sure, but I always had my long term goal in mind and that kept me motivated (mostly). It truly was a labor of love, blood, sweat, and tears.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #844 of 956 Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Found this picture of RT from waaaaaay back when he was framing his theater.

post #845 of 956 Old 04-06-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
^^^^Very funny! I had many scrapes, minor cuts, and bruises, luckily nothing major or needing an ER trip.

I did have a close call building my riser. The last OSB cut I made I was on was on the short side of the saw horses when I made my cut. Obviously I did not know this until I got within about 8 inches of the end and everything started to flex. The rest of the image I have is in all slow motion as I realize that I'm on the wrong side of the sawhorse my brain says "this is going to be very ugly". As all of this is going through my mind I am trying to stop the forward motion of my cut, which at this point is next to impossible as I am now falling into the OSB and between the sawhorses as the OSB begins to collapse because it is no longer being supported by anything. The next thought was to push as hard as I could to finish the cut and get the circular saw as far away as I could so I would not fall on it. By this time the OSB board, the saw, me and all the misc. tools I had on the OSB panel crash onto the concrete driveway. I ended up only bruising my ego and thinking how stupid I was for not checking something as simple as where my cut was going to go. Bonus for not amputating anything and another bonus my cut on the OSB was good too.

I laugh at it now, but man I thought for a while how nasty it could have been.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #846 of 956 Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

How many neighbors were watching you through their windows or passing bye in their cars?? That is the scarier part atleast to me.

post #847 of 956 Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

^^^^Very funny! I had many scrapes, minor cuts, and bruises, luckily nothing major or needing an ER trip.

I did have a close call building my riser. The last OSB cut I made I was on was on the short side of the saw horses when I made my cut. Obviously I did not know this until I got within about 8 inches of the end and everything started to flex. The rest of the image I have is in all slow motion as I realize that I'm on the wrong side of the sawhorse my brain says "this is going to be very ugly". As all of this is going through my mind I am trying to stop the forward motion of my cut, which at this point is next to impossible as I am now falling into the OSB and between the sawhorses as the OSB begins to collapse because it is no longer being supported by anything. The next thought was to push as hard as I could to finish the cut and get the circular saw as far away as I could so I would not fall on it. By this time the OSB board, the saw, me and all the misc. tools I had on the OSB panel crash onto the concrete driveway. I ended up only bruising my ego and thinking how stupid I was for not checking something as simple as where my cut was going to go. Bonus for not amputating anything and another bonus my cut on the OSB was good too.

Regards,

RTROSE

RT,

This one had me LMAO, has to be one of the funniest (luckiest) construction bloopers on this forum. I'm glad it ended humorously!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #848 of 956 Old 04-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

How true, I've also noticed that I'm far more motivated to keep going when I know others are watching and giving me feedback on my build.
Looks like I'm really going to need that motivation too as the next part of my build is working out and installing the lighting and insteon setup and I'm completely unmotivated as the room's pretty usable as it is.
post #849 of 956 Old 04-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Pardon my newbness on CIH and CIA screens but am I correct in assuming you are NOT using a lens? Are you just poor man zooming?

I've also been reading the CIH forum and there's mention of using an HTPC to scale the image to 2.35 using a custom resolution. Maybe that's it? But it seems like that would still require zooming (and possibly shifting) when going between resolutions.

I'm so confused. I have an Optoma HD3300 which will do the vertical stretch but that means I'd need a lens and I don't really want to fuss (or pay out the nose) for one. Is it even possible to do CIH or CIA with the HD3300 and no lens?
post #850 of 956 Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, no lens. When using the Blu-ray player, I manually zoom to accommodate 16:9 or 2.35:1 aspect ratios. When using the HTPC, I zoom like for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie, and then use XBMC controls to shrink 16:9 titles down to size.
post #851 of 956 Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, no lens. When using the Blu-ray player, I manually zoom to accommodate 16:9 or 2.35:1 aspect ratios. When using the HTPC, I zoom like for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie, and then use XBMC controls to shrink 16:9 titles down to size.

And I assume the amount of zoom on your projector allows for this? I also assume higher end projectors tend to have more zoom range than their lower cost brethren? Finally, do you have to mess with shifting the image in any direction when moving between aspect ratios?

I finally have power in my basement as of yesterday, so I may just drag everything out of its boxes and do some testing on my own. Just trying to wrap my head around it without that going through much effort.

Thanks, Brad!
post #852 of 956 Old 04-11-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

How many neighbors were watching you through their windows or passing bye in their cars?? That is the scarier part atleast to me.

This post and the above, made me think about something I saw, back many years ago while I was in college. I lived in an old house that had been made into apartments. Next to us lived a guy that was a biker. He was big, burly, hairy and lots of tattoos. This was in the early 80's before tattoos were popular. One day I heard him crank his Harley in the driveway. I looked out and he was dressed in his leather chaps and biker gang jacket. The guy was the real deal and not a poser. He started slowly driving down the driveway and he was going so slow, that he lost his balance and laid his bike over. Needless to say the guy was looking around to see if anybody saw him. I certainly did not let him see me watching. Stupid stuff happens to you when you lest expect it and yes, someone probably saw it happen to you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #853 of 956 Old 04-11-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Its good to know that another member in the la ht group has a htpc instead of a dune

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #854 of 956 Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Brad,

I had a quick question about your screen frame, and how it is constructed. I understand there is an outer wooden frame covered in velvet. Is there a separate aluminum frame the screen is attached to, or are the aluminum bars screwed directly to the velvet covered frame?

If there is a separate frame, how did you attach the velvet frame to the aluminum screen frame?

If you were going to do it all over again, would you still choose to go with a Jamestown frame? or build your own?
post #855 of 956 Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unacceptable View Post

And I assume the amount of zoom on your projector allows for this? I also assume higher end projectors tend to have more zoom range than their lower cost brethren? Finally, do you have to mess with shifting the image in any direction when moving between aspect ratios?

Yes, the RS-20 has a 2:1 zoom, so plenty for zoom method. I don't know if its just higher end that have more zoom necessarily, but it seems DLP projectors usually have less zoom and are more restrictive in terms of placement, not sure why. I do have to do shift as well when adjusting aspect ratio, but zoom and shift are powered, so not too hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unacceptable View Post

I finally have power in my basement as of yesterday, so I may just drag everything out of its boxes and do some testing on my own. Just trying to wrap my head around it without that going through much effort.

Thanks, Brad!

Yeah, that's the best approach, set it up temporarily using a chair or table or whatever, and experiment with placement and size before you nail it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

Brad,

I had a quick question about your screen frame, and how it is constructed. I understand there is an outer wooden frame covered in velvet. Is there a separate aluminum frame the screen is attached to, or are the aluminum bars screwed directly to the velvet covered frame?

If there is a separate frame, how did you attach the velvet frame to the aluminum screen frame?

If you were going to do it all over again, would you still choose to go with a Jamestown frame? or build your own?

Its just the wood frame with square stock attached to the back for rigidity. Yes, if I had to do it again, I'd still go with the Jamestown frame and Seymour AT fabric, it has worked great for me, no problems at all. I believe in saving a few bucks in places where it doesn't show, and although I'm sure there are nicer frames out there, using extruded aluminum all around for example, it isn't worth the extra cost to me if its all hidden.
post #856 of 956 Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to follow what you did very closely.

Thanks again!
post #857 of 956 Old 04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Wood frame? Mine is square aluminum stock tube......did he change his frames?

post #858 of 956 Old 04-12-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Wood frame? Mine is square aluminum stock tube......did he change his frames?

Well, the frame itself is poplar (I believe), covered in black velvet - and then the square aluminum stock screwed to the back of that - same as what you have I think?
post #859 of 956 Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea I was a tad confused (imagine that) for a second.

post #860 of 956 Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Regards,

RTROSE

You should try that when you are building a deck around an above ground pool and are standing on the board you are cutting LOL

Hey I had to subscribe to the thread anyway

Great work Brad. I am going to have a custom built home next year after i retire, 36 years in the Army, and I will be borrowing a few of your ideas. Having the builder put a frame a dedicated theater room in the attatic 17x24x9
post #861 of 956 Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks guys!

Here's some updates...

New speakers - CHT - 6x Pro-10, 1x SHO-10 (center) - they were returns (scratches here and there), and Chris gave me a smoking hot deal on them - thanks Chris!

Did the fan mod on my QSC power amp that drives the THT LP - huge difference, the old fan was a turbo prop:

Painted the trims for the 3" recessed lights that are going in the soffits:

Cut the holes for the lights:

Pile of debris, and cans ready to go (tomorrow):

Hi Brad,

Love your build!

Sorry to take you back a few months.

Putting all the pieces together to build a THT-LP and like the idea of using a QSC amp. I just have a couple of questions. What type of conection from your reciever to the QSC, and where did you get the cable? What fan did you use for your fan mod on the QSC amp?

Any review on your THT-LP's?

Thanks in advance!!

Alan J
post #862 of 956 Old 04-19-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxheat View Post

Hi Brad,

Love your build!

Sorry to take you back a few months.

Putting all the pieces together to build a THT-LP and like the idea of using a QSC amp. I just have a couple of questions. What type of conection from your reciever to the QSC, and where did you get the cable? What fan did you use for your fan mod on the QSC amp?

Any review on your THT-LP's?

Thanks in advance!!

Alan J

Thanks Alan.

I used an RCA splitter to the receiver sub out:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and two of these from the RCA splitter to the EQ in:

and two of these from the EQ out to the QSC in:

Here's the thread where I found the fan part I used (which I believe is now obsolete, not sure the replacement):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1279674

Re: THT LP review - never really did a formal review, but some comments in my THT build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1275894

and over on the BFM forum:

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...hp?f=5&t=16648

summary: I like them
post #863 of 956 Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks Brad!

What EQ did you go with? Are you using the EQ for your entire setup or just the subs?

Agian thanks for the answers!

Alan
post #864 of 956 Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Behringer FBQ2496 feedback destroyer, bought used on eBay. Its just dedicated to the subs, the rest of the speakers are handled by the AVR (MCACC).
post #865 of 956 Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Brad,

Wow quite the update - Nice speakers!!

Your fan mod. update for the QSC amp was most timely! I have the same amp, and need to do the same thing. Can you point me to where you bought that fan mod? Thanks in Advance!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #866 of 956 Old 04-20-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Brad,

Wow quite the update - Nice speakers!!

Your fan mod. update for the QSC amp was most timely! I have the same amp, and need to do the same thing. Can you point me to where you bought that fan mod? Thanks in Advance!

Please disregard that question. I just found your answer above, and also checked out the other thread

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #867 of 956 Old 04-20-2012, 08:45 AM

So how much did the 2nd THT do? Do you think it was worth adding?
post #868 of 956 Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Please disregard that question. I just found your answer above, and also checked out the other thread

As mentioned, the fan that I used is now discontinued, but I'm sure there are equivalents available - I think the fan that I used was the same that's used in Behringer amp fan mods, which are more common than QSC fan mods, so that would be another place to look for recommended models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

So how much did the 2nd THT do? Do you think it was worth adding?

The reasons that I added the second were (1) to help smooth seat to seat LF FR variation, and (2) to provide additional headroom, especially in light of the significant amount of EQ that I've employed. I would definitely say it has been successful in both regards, so well worth the investment to me.
post #869 of 956 Old 05-27-2012, 12:10 PM

Liked: 20
Hey Brad,

First time I saw pics of your setup and color scheme is when I decided I had to go with full fabric walls. I just love the look! Even after going through a bunch of different GOM samples and carpet stores I still come back to Chinchilla. I hope you don't have a patent on your room's finished look
I believe you have 3" halogen's in your soffits. What do you have for your main pot lights? Do you find you get enough lighting with those?

Thx
post #870 of 956 Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the compliment 235. I actually almost never use the recessed lights in the ceiling (4" iridescent), unless I want to vacuum or do maintenance in the room somewhere - the halogens in the soffit are plenty bright to light the room up. And I really enjoy seeing when others adapt something from my build into theirs, so feel free to steal away - I definitely took a lot of inspiration from other people's builds and adapted to mine!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Sc27 Sc 27 Sc 27 Elite 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Thx Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page