Pimp My Garage - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 956 Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have samples of all three and just took them all for a test drive. I would say that Broadcast falls between FR701 (most transparent) and Anchorage (least transparent).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 956 Old 09-10-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
^^ that sounds right to me too ^^
post #903 of 956 Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For what it's worth, I just covered some large wall panels in GOM Anchorage, in preparation to put OC 703 inside. With all the fabric on the walls, even without the OC 703 insulation installed, the room is noticeably "more dead". Being "acoustically transparent" I expected to not notice much change until I inserted the OC 703. Least transparent is right eek.gif

Paul
post #904 of 956 Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkarmouche View Post

For what it's worth, I just covered some large wall panels in GOM Anchorage, in preparation to put OC 703 inside. With all the fabric on the walls, even without the OC 703 insulation installed, the room is noticeably "more dead". Being "acoustically transparent" I expected to not notice much change until I inserted the OC 703. Least transparent is right eek.gif
Paul

Interesting Paul - I didn't find that to be the case with the Broadcast fabric I'm using. For example, without insulation, during MCACC calibration pink noise test bursts, slap echo is still noticeable.
post #905 of 956 Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Liked: 12
I got my sample of Broadcast and it is good in the blow test and holding up to a monitor screen. Anchorage is not that transparent. Look at the specs on GOM.

I am going with Broadcast Chinchilla on the upper wall and Anchorage Aubergine on the bottom 2' of wall. I averted WAF to going Aubergine in the whole room, due to acoustical performance.
post #906 of 956 Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
And you my friend thought for a second that you weren't going to make the cut?!?!?!?! Haha well your wrong!!! Havent been around AVS in months and suddenly got a hankerin' to stop bye and say hi to some old friends. Hope things are well with you. And please tell me where you have been on MW3?? Havent seen you in a while let alone had the opportunity to play with you. Are you jumping on the Blops2 bandwagon?? I think I'll give it a whirl.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #907 of 956 Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Woah!!!

Pinch me - is that IUSteve chiming in?
Good to hear that you are still interested in keeping up with us types!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #908 of 956 Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for dropping by guys - here, have a beer!

beers.jpg

I still play MW3 sometimes, but not as often I guess - I'll definitely be picking up BLOP2, I'm a sucker for punishment. I usually check to see who's online, but haven't seen you lately either - sometimes I'll see you were on earlier in the day, but went offline already - time zone deal I guess - I usually play around 9pm or so (pacific time).

Steve, I see you're having a nice football season thus far, based on your facebook posts! wink.gif

Craig, did you dive into the SEOS building yet, or still surveying the options? I'm almost done with mine, just waiting for a back ordered inductor so I can finish the crossovers for speaker #2 and #3. Then I need to figure out how to set them up in the room - something tells me the rubbermaid shelving I have now won't be beefy enough for three 75+ lb speakers. tongue.gif
post #909 of 956 Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
beer.gif

Thanks Brad! Very tasty!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #910 of 956 Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Shameless plug for my new LCR build / thread bump to keep this thread out of the can:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1422024/seos-12-dna-360-jbl-2226-j-build
what is it you did not like about the Chase Home Theater LCRs
post #911 of 956 Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't say I really have any complaints - just enjoying the hobby, which now includes speaker building
post #912 of 956 Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Craig, did you dive into the SEOS building yet, or still surveying the options? I'm almost done with mine, just waiting for a back ordered inductor so I can finish the crossovers for speaker #2 and #3. Then I need to figure out how to set them up in the room - something tells me the rubbermaid shelving I have now won't be beefy enough for three 75+ lb speakers. tongue.gif

Brad,
This is a challenge that I would really like to take on, still pondering the decision to build some SEOS boxes this winter. One of the deciding factors for me will be how to "size/configure/orient" a box for my center channel?
I do not have an AT screen and am limited to 20" of height under my screen.....

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #913 of 956 Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Is it too early to compare the SEOS to the CHT speakers?

What I really want to see is a thorough side-by-side comparison of measurements. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a set of PRO/SHO-10s, mostly since I don't think I could build the cabinets, but I'm very interested to see what sort of performance each is capable of (particularly off-axis and around the crossover). I'm not asking you to do that if you don't want to, but if you have the data, I, for one, would love to see it.

Fred
post #914 of 956 Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Was there any issue with them filling the room or was your THT Subs to much for them? I am a little way off and if DIY is the way to go then I may jump out there. Rythmik now has DYI kits for their subs and amps what do you think of these Rythmik has verry good reviews on their subs I am thinking building your own with their guts may be the way to go.
15” subs http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500driver.html
amps http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers.html
kits http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500ci.html
post #915 of 956 Old 10-12-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Brad,
This is a challenge that I would really like to take on, still pondering the decision to build some SEOS boxes this winter. One of the deciding factors for me will be how to "size/configure/orient" a box for my center channel?
I do not have an AT screen and am limited to 20" of height under my screen.....

Hmm yeah that's tight - there is the Malcolm design - or could probably shoehorn a regular 10"+SEOS into that space, but not much room to spare if you want to elevate it or tilt it. No space above the screen I assume? Or there's always phantom center, but I guess that only gives one sweet spot, not good if you want to cover all the seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Is it too early to compare the SEOS to the CHT speakers?
What I really want to see is a thorough side-by-side comparison of measurements. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a set of PRO/SHO-10s, mostly since I don't think I could build the cabinets, but I'm very interested to see what sort of performance each is capable of (particularly off-axis and around the crossover). I'm not asking you to do that if you don't want to, but if you have the data, I, for one, would love to see it.
Fred

I still plan on doing it, but haven't completed speaker #2 and #3 (waiting for back ordered part for crossovers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

Was there any issue with them filling the room or was your THT Subs to much for them? I am a little way off and if DIY is the way to go then I may jump out there. Rythmik now has DYI kits for their subs and amps what do you think of these Rythmik has verry good reviews on their subs I am thinking building your own with their guts may be the way to go.
15” subs http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500driver.html
amps http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers.html
kits http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS1500ci.html

Nope, nothing like that, they perform admirably, and hold their own with the THTs. They are very sensitive, and can crank just on receiver power. Part of what I like about the hobby is getting to a nice setup for movies and music - and I definitely already have that; but the other part is learning and seeing what else you can try to push the envelope (within limits of your budget). The CHT speakers are an outstanding value, but there is always something more - so I'm out to see what I can get by investing in the next level of components.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Rhythmiks, but have never listened to one.
post #916 of 956 Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I was just wondering how the Rhythmik DYI sub and AMP would do built into the THT it looks like their amp has a lot of equalization built into it.
post #917 of 956 Old 10-13-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the Rhythmik driver to work in a THT, it's t/s specs would need to be sufficiently close to the recommended drivers. I'd think it would end up being more expensive though - the recommended 15" drivers are usually available for between 130 and 175.
post #918 of 956 Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess I never posted a picture of my completed DIY LCRs - here they are - not in place behind the screen yet, but well, here they are anyway:

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

SEOS%2520002.jpg

in-room%2520001.jpg

in-room%2520006.jpg
post #919 of 956 Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Bet you can't wait to get those back there. I'm assuming you have tested them. How do they sound compared to your SHO-10s?
post #920 of 956 Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Beautiful work on the speakers.

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
post #921 of 956 Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Just notice your updates to the build thread! Good job on the clickable links to your build on page 1!!! Wish more avs'ers would do that. Why the upgrade up front, SHO's not quite cutting it?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #922 of 956 Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Bet you can't wait to get those back there. I'm assuming you have tested them. How do they sound compared to your SHO-10s?

Yeah for sure - I still want to do some more comparative measurements and critical listening between the SEOS and PRO-10/SHO-10, and easier to do that with the speakers sitting on the floor than behind the screen. So far they sound great, but I need a little more A/B testing to be able to put the difference into words - not used to being a speaker reviewer. tongue.gif Initial thoughts: stronger in the crossover region, slightly more detailed, slightly improved dialog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by memmo View Post

Beautiful work on the speakers.

Thanks memmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Just notice your updates to the build thread! Good job on the clickable links to your build on page 1!!! Wish more avs'ers would do that. Why the upgrade up front, SHO's not quite cutting it?

Thanks - still working on the first post, a couple people had suggested I do it, because my thread does get conversational at times, which makes it more fun for the participants, but harder to sift through for those who just want the info.

The PRO-10/SHO-10/PRO-10 LCR has been working great, but I've gotten a little hooked on speaker building DIY, its fun - and upgraditis, just wanted to see what I could get by investing in higher end components for the LCR.
post #923 of 956 Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 PM

Liked: 10
You did such a great job in your garage. Just new inspiration for my own project. Many thanks wink.gif

Enjoy now !!!! smile.gif
post #924 of 956 Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kroutch - hope to see your build someday soon too! And it reminds me I still need to take and post some more up to date pictures, and other little updates.
post #925 of 956 Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Brad a few questions for you. It may be in here but what is the distance from the wall to the back of your false wall and how do your SEOS fit back there? Do you have any pics of the SEOS in place yet? The reason I ask is I would really like to build some SEOS speakers but to do so I want to change my screen to AT as I also have a JamesTown screen so I would do the same as you and replace the originall with the AT material. I only have about 18" that I can push the false wall out though and am wondering if that will be enough? Thanks!
post #926 of 956 Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't take any pictures of the SEOS speakers in place yet - I was too eager to try them out with the screen in place, and forgot to take pictures.

I placed the front of my false wall 24" from the real front wall; since the false wall is made of 2x3s, that puts the back edge of the false wall 21.5" away; minus 1" of fiberglas on the front wall, leaves 20.5" clear. My speaker enclosures are built quite deep, but since the screen sits on the front of the false wall, I'm still able to toe them in, although not quite enough depth to have them cross in front of the LP - built the speakers a little deeper than I should have really, but they still sound great set up the way they are.

So whether you can fit them will depend on the depth of the box you go for, and how much you want to toe them in, as well as the available space behind the wall.
post #927 of 956 Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Cheezit,

Which SEOS speakers are you considering? If you do the SEOS 12" speakers with the flat pack, they are only 14.5" deep. That would give you just enough gap between the front of the speaker and the back of the screen material (assuming the 18" takes you right against the screen).
post #928 of 956 Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I didn't take any pictures of the SEOS speakers in place yet - I was too eager to try them out with the screen in place, and forgot to take pictures.

I placed the front of my false wall 24" from the real front wall; since the false wall is made of 2x3s, that puts the back edge of the false wall 21.5" away; minus 1" of fiberglas on the front wall, leaves 20.5" clear. My speaker enclosures are built quite deep, but since the screen sits on the front of the false wall, I'm still able to toe them in, although not quite enough depth to have them cross in front of the LP - built the speakers a little deeper than I should have really, but they still sound great set up the way they are.

So whether you can fit them will depend on the depth of the box you go for, and how much you want to toe them in, as well as the available space behind the wall.[/quote}
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Cheezit,

Which SEOS speakers are you considering? If you do the SEOS 12" speakers with the flat pack, they are only 14.5" deep. That would give you just enough gap between the front of the speaker and the back of the screen material (assuming the 18" takes you right against the screen).

Thanks for the info Brad! I am thinking the Fusion Tempests which I am thinking with the 14.5" Depth I could just squeeze in that space with decent toe in.
post #929 of 956 Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

That panel removed, showing the ball part of the grill guides, and the corner lap joints.

Sorry if it's already answered in here, trying to use the search but doesn't seem to get me relevant results. Are these pretty much the same grill guides? Heavy Duty grill guides from parts express...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-367

Can't find these guys locally so putting an order in today just wanted to make sure they're not going to pull out with something a little chunkier than a speaker grill.
post #930 of 956 Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll answer for Brad, since I used the same ones. Yes, they are the heavy duty speaker grill guides from PE. If you are ordering a bunch, call them and ask for a bulk discount. That saved me quite a bit.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Sc27 Sc 27 Sc 27 Elite 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Thx Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page