Pimp My Garage - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 957 Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Thanks Spaceman, yup those are the ones. Order a few extra in case a couple snap off, I've had a couple do that (and don't epoxy them in in case you do need to replace any - easy to do with a screwdriver and pliers).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 957 Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

How far is your front lights from screen? If you did it again would you have gone closer or further? Thanks

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

post #933 of 957 Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Have any of you that use the ball type speaker grill attachments for panels noticed any audible vibration noises during heavy bass?
post #934 of 957 Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Have any of you that use the ball type speaker grill attachments for panels noticed any audible vibration noises during heavy bass?

None here. They are pretty snug.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #935 of 957 Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

How far is your front lights from screen? If you did it again would you have gone closer or further? Thanks

I think it was about 10" to the center of the can? Not sure, I can measure. It has worked fine, no second thoughts - but I honestly don't use them often at all. If I was going to change anything, I'd forego the last light can on the soffits on the sides, closest to the screen, since it washes some light on the screen, so I can't really run the soffit lights low during a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

No, I haven't had any issues with them from LFE shaking them. I do notice my closet door rattles at a certain frequency ("Pulse" for example), I need to add some weather stripping to tighten it up.

|
|
|
|
post #936 of 957 Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Just dropped in again Brad to visit. And well, you sure don't disappoint!

Everything is just so well planned and executed. Congratulations. Lighting creates such emotion, and I am sure you are going to be very happy.

|
 |
|
 |
post #937 of 957 Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the drop in and bump zulu, I've definitely been enjoying it, and its still fun sometimes to just sit there, look around from the money seat, smile and say to yourself "wow, I actually built this". Still at a terminal 95%, I think every time I mark another little todo off the list, I think of something else to add to it. But that's OK, because the process is just as enjoyable as the never-finished result. smile.gif

I still haven't added any swords to my HT though - those could come in handy if anyone wants to argue over the movie I picked.

|
|
|
|
post #938 of 957 Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Brad if your were going to do a DIY speaker today what would you choose and why ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #939 of 957 Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I guess I might do something similar to what I went with, but probably would have gone for the SEOS-15s in plastic, and the 8 Ohm 2226H instead of 2226J. Or one of the Jeff Bagby SEOS designs? Hard to say without hearing them of course, I went in blind and I'm quite happy with the results. The SEOS-15 and the 2226H would be better on paper, but no idea if I could actually hear any difference, probably not. I don't play loud enough (-15 to -10) for the sensitivity to ever be an issue.

A 2.5 design would be cool too (two 15s), but would need even more help with crossover design.

|
|
|
|
post #940 of 957 Old 06-05-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I checked out your speaker build and I'm jealous !

More and more I'm thinking a DIY option makes sense - but being a noob I'm having a tough time understanding where I should start and what makes sense for me to incorporate into my theater build.
I'm not making and definitive plans until the room is constructed.

That should give me time to learn and make the right choice when the time is right.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #941 of 957 Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm, I guess I might do something similar to what I went with, but probably would have gone for the SEOS-15s in plastic, and the 8 Ohm 2226H instead of 2226J. Or one of the Jeff Bagby SEOS designs? Hard to say without hearing them of course, I went in blind and I'm quite happy with the results. The SEOS-15 and the 2226H would be better on paper, but no idea if I could actually hear any difference, probably not. I don't play loud enough (-15 to -10) for the sensitivity to ever be an issue.

A 2.5 design would be cool too (two 15s), but would need even more help with crossover design.

How much did you pay for the 2226h ? Where did you end up getting them ?

-

post #942 of 957 Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got them from ErichH for $125 each, before shipping. They were leftovers from a group buy thing where he got a bunch of JBL cinema stuff that was pulled from some large theaters. Long gone by now I think. Shouldn't be too hard to find them on eBay, for similar price or maybe a bit more - I felt a lot better getting from Erich though, since I knew he wouldn't sell anything that was iffy at all, vs eBay sometimes you get what you get (like non-JBL recone).

|
|
|
|
post #943 of 957 Old 06-25-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

How much brand new is something like that ?

-

post #944 of 957 Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

How much brand new is something like that ?

About $500 - http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-2226H-15---Low-Frequency-Transducer-100163651-i1153636.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&kwid=productads-plaid^32412584441-sku^100163651@ADL4gc-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^13625722841

(except mine are the J, not the H)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-472

|
|
|
|
post #945 of 957 Old 06-28-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Much better than a $50 Celestion like in the cheap thrill you think ?

-

post #946 of 957 Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hard to say, as I haven't heard those - I'd take a look at the DIY Sound group forums for comparisons and also the SEOS thread, some of the builders should be able to comment on the ones they've heard - as for me, the ones I built are the only SEOS designs I've heard in person. I like em. biggrin.gif

|
|
|
|
post #947 of 957 Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

I got them from ErichH for $125 each, before shipping. They were leftovers from a group buy thing where he got a bunch of JBL cinema stuff that was pulled from some large theaters. Long gone by now I think. Shouldn't be too hard to find them on eBay, for similar price or maybe a bit more - I felt a lot better getting from Erich though, since I knew he wouldn't sell anything that was iffy at all, vs eBay sometimes you get what you get (like non-JBL recone).

Deals like this make my heart smile

|
 |
|
 |
post #948 of 957 Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Brad,
Much kudos on your build..impressive. Has given me a lot of ideas. I really like your columns given the narrowness I am dealing with in the room. Did a search on the thread but I cannot find the dimensions or rough drawings anywhere. Would you be able to provide several rough dimensions and/or drawings of the framing of those columns? Thanks!
Mfusick likes this.
post #949 of 957 Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks much reb - there are some bookmark links on the first page of the thread that lead to posts related to the column building - I don't have measurements or drawings handy, although I think some of the pictures in the build should help you visualize how the columns are constructed. I'll do some measurements when I'm back home and get back to you.

And thanks for the thread bump smile.gif

|
|
|
|
post #950 of 957 Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Brad I don't know if I thanked you yet? My room is 19’x23' so I sole er borrowed a lot of your ideas. The main difference being mine build was 2nd floor over the garage so I had to do some engineering around the sloped ceiling for my columns. The main reason I am checking in is to tell you about my screen. I used your advice and went with a DIY 2.0:1 constant image area format screen made out of Seymour Center Stage XD materiel.
The 126"x65" constant image area 2.0:1 that gives me
126"x52" 2.40:1 with 136" diag, 6 12" bars top and bottom
126"x54" 2.35:1 with 137" diag, 5 1/2" bars top and bottom
120"x65" 1.85:1 with 137" diag, (man this size make it like being there) 3" bars both sides
116"x65" 16x9 with 133" diag. 5" bars both sides
So in the way the best of both worlds If I would have done a 2.40:1 screen 126" wide my 16x9 size would have been 92"x52" with 106" diag. If I would have done 16X9 65" tall my 2.40:1 would have been 116"x48" 126" diag.

The frame and 2x4s made it so dark I had to turn my back lighting on to get some good contrast.

This shot best shows all my colors

Check out my screen build thread and thanks again for all your help even if you didn’t know you did.

post #951 of 957 Old 02-27-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks cw5billwade, so you enjoying the CIA approach? Has worked well for me.

Off to check your screen thread.

|
|
|
|
post #952 of 957 Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I really love it and with the AE-8000 and automatic format it is sweet. I have 2.40:1, 1.85:1 and 16x9 formats saved in memory. I have my automatic adjust set for 2.40:1 and 16x9 when I watch 2.35:1 it selects 2.40 format automatic so there is no issue sine the formats are so close the image is just taller. But when we watch 1.85:1 it selects 16x9 and makes bars top bottom and sides so I select the 1.85:1 format manually. the Constant Image height is in a word awesome.

post #953 of 957 Old 03-04-2014, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Brad,
Were you ever able to get measurements on your columns...I see how you built them now after looking through your thread a few more times. I'm just curious what your width was and the depth at the top and bottom of the columns? Once again, I appreciate you sharing your incredible theater!
post #954 of 957 Old 03-04-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

I really love it and with the AE-8000 and automatic format it is sweet. I have 2.40:1, 1.85:1 and 16x9 formats saved in memory. I have my automatic adjust set for 2.40:1 and 16x9 when I watch 2.35:1 it selects 2.40 format automatic so there is no issue sine the formats are so close the image is just taller. But when we watch 1.85:1 it selects 16x9 and makes bars top bottom and sides so I select the 1.85:1 format manually. the Constant Image height is in a word awesome.

Ah right, lens memory, nice. I'm still using an RS-20, so no lens memory for me. Since I mostly watch from HTPC using XBMC, I have it set up to do digital shrink on 16:9 / 1.85:1 titles, and 2.35/2.4 untouched, so also no adjustment needed, except when using a Blu-ray Disc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb162 View Post

Brad,
Were you ever able to get measurements on your columns...I see how you built them now after looking through your thread a few more times. I'm just curious what your width was and the depth at the top and bottom of the columns? Once again, I appreciate you sharing your incredible theater!

Sorry, I forgot to measure, so thanks for the reminder.

The front columns measure 6" deep x 18" wide at the bottom, 12" deep x 18" wide at the top. But since the wall panels between the columns + furring strips are 1 1/2" deep, they only extend 4 1/2" deep at the bottom and 10 1/2" deep at the top.

The side columns are 7" deep x 18" wide at the bottom, 12" deep x 18" wide at the top - 5 1/2" deep at the bottom, 10 1/2" deep at the top after the panels are in place. Why different than the front columns? I think I may have measured wrong and didn't notice, or had to adjust the height (shorten) to account for the riser height. Don't copy that part lol. Anyway, not noticeable in the room.

The "face panels" (covered with black speaker cloth) are 15" wide, to fit between the side 2x2 framing.

In the rear, there are "corner columns", just because of the way the room is laid out - having them inboard on the back wall wouldn't work due to the placement of the rear entry doors. So they are kind of oddball, match the overall look of the side columns, but not an exact match. The "face panels" are 19 1/2" wide, and the "sides" are 3" deep (top and bottom - not tapered like the other columns), go back at a 45 degree angle, so they are perpendicular to the side and back walls.

Let me know if that doesn't make any sense, or if you think of any other questions.

|
|
|
|
post #955 of 957 Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Brad guess where I got the idea for my columns as well. rolleyes.gif I based the column on the idea to have a 12” deep speaker in them so I made a shelf for the speaker and attached it to the wall. Then I framed the columns like you did with 2x2s. The rear columns are square so 12” from the wall x 18” wide I have 3” of rear wall treatment they come to 9”x18”. Based on the location the side columns differ at the bottom like yours the riser 6” center column 7” stage 6 1/2" that way all the angles were identical at the top.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468993/the-retirement-dream-home-theater/150#post_23484542

post #956 of 957 Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Love it! Off to go catch up on your build thread...
Mfusick likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #957 of 957 Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks like I'm bringing this back from the dead , I don't know how I haven't seen it before , especially since it looks like we live close enough for me to hear your subs . Beautiful theater man. I don't have the space for a dedicated theater , but just got my first PJ and may poach a couple of your design ideas to make my living room a touch more "theater like" . If you ever do demos or meet and greets with any of the forum members , I would love to experience a real home theater , let me know how to get an application. Thanks for sharing your build

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Sc27 Sc 27 Sc 27 Elite 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Thx Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page