Pimp My Garage - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 959 Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Brad,

When it comes to OC 703, how much is too much?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 959 Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaitkeeper View Post

Brad,

When it comes to OC 703, how much is too much?

It's somewhat room and equipment dependent - acoustic treatments are there to treat something - so it's best to diagnose (measure frequency response and decay times, interpret) and then prescribe treatments. However, it is apparently impossible to overdo bass trapping, so I've gone at that first without measuring; similarly with the front wall, there seems to be a general consensus to kill it, so I've done so. I'll hold off on the rest of the room treatments (walls) until I've got carpet and furniture in, and have measured with REW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #183 of 959 Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Thanks so much Leo.

it allowed me to hit a parallel stud on the long walls, which simplified hanging them;

I assume that you did not use hat channels and clips above the drywall? What's REW in your previous post. I think that I am going to follow your lead for the bass traps and speaker columns. Why sand under the stage?

post #184 of 959 Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

I assume that you did not use hat channels and clips above the drywall? What's REW in your previous post. I think that I am going to follow your lead for the bass traps and speaker columns. Why sand under the stage?

Right, no hat channels / clips. Since its detached from the house, I haven't focused much on sound isolation. REW is Room EQ Wizard, a program used to do acoustic measurements. Sand under the stage is to make it completely non-resonant, so subs sitting on it don't excite it.

|
|
|
|
post #185 of 959 Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, with sand, to power your sub exerts is transferred into sound, as it is not loosing energy shaking the stage it is sitting on.

Carpet guy comes this evening, so I will see what the damage will be.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #186 of 959 Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

I had 48 sq yd including stairs and my quote was $1500 here installed......how about you guys?

My quote last night was 75 SQ Yd for the rec room and stairs. Carpet, 6lb 1/2" pad and install for just over $1800.

Your carpet is going to be the big price changer.

My pad is 2.75 Yd and installation is 3 something a yard. The stairs are extra, 3.50 per step, I am not doing the sides of the stairs, I will just paint those. The carpet I picked was $16 something a yard, and then there is tax also.

If you are getting carpet, the U.S. prices for all carpet is going up 5-8% Feb 1.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #187 of 959 Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Michael, sounds like I better get shopping. Besides, I'm falling further behind you in progress.

|
|
|
|
post #188 of 959 Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The carpet guy just let me know the price increase is Feb 4th, not Feb 1st.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #189 of 959 Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
$16 a yard...that's cheap! My theater carpet was $47 a yard!

Follow my build here:
post #190 of 959 Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went to Home Depot at lunch just to see what carpet they have - even that fairly generic stuff is 22-30/yd - ouch, a lot more expensive than even just a couple years ago. I may end up sewing together scraps of remnants... :-|

I noticed now that they like to advertise the price by the foot instead of by the yard, maybe they think it doesn't look as godawful expensive that way.

|
|
|
|
post #191 of 959 Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

My quotes on what I am looking at for the theater are $22.29 and $37.25 per yd.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #192 of 959 Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
$45 here

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #193 of 959 Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I went to Home Depot at lunch just to see what carpet they have - even that fairly generic stuff is 22-30/yd - ouch, a lot more expensive than even just a couple years ago. I may end up sewing together scraps of remnants... :-|

I noticed now that they like to advertise the price by the foot instead of by the yard, maybe they think it doesn't look as godawful expensive that way.

Brad, we got the carpet for our entire basement build from HD. We went with the Martha Stewart collection which is probably the softest carpet I have ever owned. I highly recommend it. We even went with a berber for everywhere but the HT and even the Berber is super soft. With the heavier pad we paid about $27/yd, $37 for installation. Keep your eye out for financing specials. We were able to get 10% off for opening an HD CC and got interest free financing for 18 months.

Dan

post #194 of 959 Old 02-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Brad,
Also, look at Lowe's. Starting Tuesday they are offering something called a Tax Refund Card. Basically it's a gift card that you buy, and whatever you put on it (between $500 and $4000), you get 10% of that amount added to the card on March 18th. You can use the card to pay for your carpet and possibly installation (I will find out on Tuesday) and then get money back. This really turns into a good deal if you or someone you know is prior military as most Lowe's stores give a 10% discount for veterans. However, you would only be able to use that on the carpet. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes!
post #195 of 959 Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the carpet suggestions guys!

Here's a (very) little progress - built shelves within the side columns, and fabric frames for the side column faces - slow going because I was using leftover scraps from the THT, plus no table saw. Hopefully will get the other four columns done this weekend. Sure.

I took delivery of the Berklines I ordered back in August - which means I better get some carpet in. Only opened one box and assembled and tested the motorized recline.

Checked a few places for carpet - here are the ones I'm looking at - the dark brown with the large diamond pattern is my front runner. What do you think? The carpet guy came to measure, says I need 58 yards - initially it was 62, but then he realized the carpet I was interested in comes 15' wide, not 12' wide, so less waste. Will come to $1800 installed, including pad (~$31/yd incl pad and install). Will mull it over this weekend. Turnaround is supposed to be about a week.

Maybe I should check if HD / Lowes can get those same carpets, and if so, what their price would be, just as a sanity check.

|
|
|
|
post #196 of 959 Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Maybe I should check if HD / Lowes can get those same carpets, and if so, what their price would be, just as a sanity check.

Big box store prices will be hard to beat

post #197 of 959 Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

Big box store prices will be hard to beat

Called HD, they don't carry either of my front runners. Boo. Thought they could special order just about anything, maybe not for carpets??

|
|
|
|
post #198 of 959 Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Your carpet selections look cool. I like the patterns.

Why is carpet so cheap out there? I feel like I got taken. roughly 38 yards, best pad, Shaw carpet... but I have stairs...$1400.

-Greg

post #199 of 959 Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Husker, stairs add a HUGE cost to installation. My basic installation with Lowes was $97. Add stairs and it jumps to $390! Sorry you couldn't find a carpet you liked at Lowes Brad. With my military discount I was able to do 570 sf (~60 sq yds) for $1600. If you take into account the tax refund card I mentioned earlier (10% back), it comes to $1440 (albeit with $160 on a gift card). I felt like that was pretty good.

post #200 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks gaitkeeper, sounds like you got a nice deal. I shopped around a little more, didn't see any better deals or carpets that I liked more without breaking the bank (there were some nice looking options for about triple my price). So I'm going to go ahead with that dark brown diamond pattern Shaw carpet (Shaw Complete Decor Q1784, Color 00702 Mystical), will drop off a deposit this afternoon. I'm going to schedule the install a few weeks out though, in the hope that I can finish my sawdust making phase at least (furring, panel frames - going to take off Monday and Tuesday next week to work on those).

|
|
|
|
post #201 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Shaw seems to be solid quality as far as I could figure.

I'm looking at 21st for install....you?

Looking good, your build is inspiring.

-Greg

post #202 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Brad - nice choice on the carpet - I like it a lot. And your build is coming along very nicely as well!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

post #203 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys! Sometimes when I post an update and don't get any feedback, I suspect I've done something horribly wrong and nobody wants to mention it! =)

I'm going to set up the carpet install in about 3 weeks, to give me some time to get my sawdust making done hopefully, so I don't make as much of a mess with the carpet.

|
|
|
|
post #204 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 12:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

Sometimes when I post an update and don't get any feedback, I suspect I've done something horribly wrong and nobody wants to mention it! =)

Well you did post a picture of an empty Berkline box not the actual chair so that we could see what color and style you picked.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #205 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, but the box, what are your thoughts on the box? I wonder if I should have gone with a darker shade of cardboard.

|
|
|
|
post #206 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Yes, but the box, what are your thoughts on the box? I wonder if I should have gone with a darker shade of cardboard.

I think that shade of cardboard goes perfectly with the blue highlights.

BTW...the carpet picks all look very nice.

Floyd

post #207 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The carpet looks good. Mine was $47/square yard , so it sounds like a bargain to me!

The box looks good and will complement the carpet very well.

Follow my build here:
post #208 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

The carpet looks good. Mine was $47/square yard , so it sounds like a bargain to me!

The box looks good and will complement the carpet very well.

Oh yeah, I looked at some intricately patterned carpets like that, but too rich for my blood.

Thanks guys for the box support!

If nothing else, I figure the cardboard will be useful to lay down on top of a layer of plastic drop sheeting, to put the ladder on when I inevitably have to do some more work on the ladder after the carpet is in.

|
|
|
|
post #209 of 959 Old 02-09-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I kept trying to lug those boxes out for the recycle dude today...slippery, heavy things they are.

-Greg

post #210 of 959 Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

So for fabric: Nice these are in 118" widths!

http://www.rosebrand.com/product271/...lack%252c%2bFR

Cheaper than Dazian too.

hmm

-Greg

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Pioneer Sc27 Sc 27 Sc 27 Elite 7 1 Channel Digital Home Theater Thx Receiver , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page