How Do You Play Your Movies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I'm sure this is supposed to be in the Home Theater Computers thread, but I wanted to find out from those of you with dedicated HT what you use to play your movies.

It seems like putting all of that effort into a dedicated space, you would want the movie playback to be seemless. So far I haven't had any luck making streaming movies seamless and wife proof. Currently I'm using Media Browser to stream to an HTPC from windows home server, but I get errors or it locks up enough that I'm always a little nervous when my wife wants to watch a movie. I've even gotten the dreaded, "if you tell me where the Blu-ray is, I'll just put it into the player."

So, how do you guys get your DVDs/Blu-rays from the disc to the screen?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 533
I put them in the drawer of my Oppo player and press start.
post #3 of 31 Old 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tell my wife to put it in the player and press start
post #4 of 31 Old 05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon View Post

I tell my wife to put it in the player and press start

Even better!

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #5 of 31 Old 05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Discs? We don't need no stinking discs!!

Put me in the 'Home Theater Computers' camp, although I don't stream right now, I run everything local (see my signature for details).

AnyDVD HD+MyMovies+TMT3+Windows 7 Media Center. With about 180 BDs and 400 DVDs, I've never had a problem with any titles playing incorrectly or displaying errors (after everything was configured correctly). Stacked together with a Harmony One, it's so easy even my girlfriend can do it.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Liked: 13
I have a Popcorn Hour A-110. The kids (11 & 12) have it figured out. The wife, too, mostly. I still load disks, only because I need more storage. As sonn as I expand my array I'll be good to go (diskless, that is.)

The A-110 has been rock solid. I'll pick up a C-200 as soon as it is, too.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-26-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

Discs? We don't need no stinking discs!!

Put me in the 'Home Theater Computers' camp, although I don't stream right now, I run everything local (see my signature for details).

AnyDVD HD+MyMovies+TMT3+Windows 7 Media Center. With about 180 BDs and 400 DVDs, I've never had a problem with any titles playing incorrectly or displaying errors (after everything was configured correctly). Stacked together with a Harmony One, it's so easy even my girlfriend can do it.

I have a similar setup, but TMT3 will give me fatal errors from time to time. I have to fiddle with the settings to get it to stream lossless audio over HDMI sometimes ( don't change any settings, it just forgets to do it sometimes). Just random things that shouldn't happen. I'm really considering a dedicated player and just converting my HTPC into a desktop.

post #8 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For DVDs, I've been ripping them. However, sometimes the quality of playback isn't great.

For Blurays, I tried ripping them, but i cannot figure out (yet) how to get seven channels of sound for those Blurays that have seven channels or high quality sound. Perhaps FLAC? Will FLAC send over HDMI for seven channels?

Bob
post #9 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a HTPC (Media Portal with TMT3 for BD playback) and am working on an unRAID server, but frankly I am the only one that uses it. My wife doesn't watch movies over and over. My daughter does, but my wife still grabs the disc. I would say that is my fault since I am still messing with it. Once I watch a movie I'll decide if it is one that I want to add to the server or not. I only rip the ones I know I will watch again at some point.

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #10 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post

The A-110 has been rock solid. I'll pick up a C-200 as soon as it is, too.

Will the C200 play Blu-ray ISO's from a networked disc? I've tried to decipher their website, but no joy. The tech specs claim that the C200 supports ISO playback, but it also says that a Blu-ray ready optical drive is required for Blu-ray playback. That sort of defeats the point I think?

post #11 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

For DVDs, I've been ripping them. However, sometimes the quality of playback isn't great.

For Blurays, I tried ripping them, but i cannot figure out (yet) how to get seven channels of sound for those Blurays that have seven channels or high quality sound. Perhaps FLAC? Will FLAC send over HDMI for seven channels?

What are you using for Blu-ray playback? TMT3 supports lossless audio, and while I haven't tried any 7.1 content, I would assume it will work (at least, most of the time ).

post #12 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

For Blurays, I tried ripping them, but i cannot figure out (yet) how to get seven channels of sound for those Blurays that have seven channels of high quality sound. Perhaps FLAC? Will FLAC send over HDMI for seven channels?

What are you using to rip your BDs? Into what format? What graphics and sound card are you using? What OS? Other software running?

That's the biggest difference between a Popcorn Hour and a custom built HTPC; hardware, drivers and software need to be carefully picked, especially for HD audio playback. Yes, they are finicky beasts to get perfect...kind of like a theater.

Streaming appliances are much more user friendly (and cheaper after software purchases), but limited in functionality. I'm interested in testing out a C200 or similar for streaming to other rooms, but the aggravation I see people dealing with keeps pushing me away. Kind of ironic since most of the guys with streaming appliances use them because of the hassle with HTPCs.
post #13 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

I have a HTPC (Media Portal with TMT3 for BD playback) and am working on an unRAID server, but frankly I am the only one that uses it. My wife doesn't watch movies over and over. My daughter does, but my wife still grabs the disc. I would say that is my fault since I am still messing with it. Once I watch a movie I'll decide if it is one that I want to add to the server or not. I only rip the ones I know I will watch again at some point.

My wife really likes the idea of having an interface much like what the set top box from the cable company provides. Everything in one place. Just scroll through until you find the movie or tv show that you want, all in one place. As the collection of DVDs/Blu-rays grows, it becomes more and more difficult to find the actual disc that we're looking for, or even remember which movies we have for that matter. There have been several times where we've been scrolling through the list of movies in Media Browser and she's said, "I forgot we had that, let's watch it."

So, i'd really like for the streaming thing to work, but right now it's just not error-free enough.

post #14 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

My wife really likes the idea of having an interface much like what the set top box from the cable company provides. Everything in one place. Just scroll through until you find the movie or tv show that you want, all in one place. As the collection of DVDs/Blu-rays grows, it becomes more and more difficult to find the actual disc that we're looking for, or even remember which movies we have for that matter. There have been several times where we've been scrolling through the list of movies in Media Browser and she's said, "I forgot we had that, let's watch it."

So, i'd really like for the streaming thing to work, but right now it's just not error-free enough.

One of the new features in Moving Pictures (The movie part of Media Portal) is the ability to setup "collections". You can set them up based on folder name, genre, rating (G, PG, etc), format (DVD, BD), and more. So it is easy to find movies in a large collection.

Mike

post #15 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Personally, I use a SageTV HD200 extender for playback of most movies. That way I have the same interface on all TVs and can access BR rips from the same place as I access my DVR'ed TV shows. As it is not uncommon for us to watch a movie and then I will watch a recorded TV show after the movie while she goes to bed. (Sometimes I may only get half way through the TV episode before going up and getting in bed. The beauty of having Sage at each TV is that after I get ready for bed, I just have to press play and can pick up the episode on the bedroom TV right where I stopped it down in the basement.)

I rip BRs as main movie to .m2ts with just the English audio and any forced subs. I don't archive movies for long term, I just rip the rentals (yeah, I said that) and then delete them when I'm done watching. In actuality, the reason for ripping and using the Sage extender is almost entirely for the ability to get rid of the ridiculously absurd levels of mandatory previews and advertisements, but also the flexibility of being able to watch a movie on the night I want to watch it, and not necessarily the night the disc comes in the mail.

As the Sage extender does not support DTSHDMA/TrueHD, I also use the PS3 on occasion for the guy movies that have a lot of boom boom and pew pew sounds in them...

-Suntan
post #16 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

In actuality, the reason for ripping and using the Sage extender is almost entirely for the ability to get rid of the ridiculously absurd levels of mandatory previews and advertisements...

It's pretty sick what you're forced to sit through before you can actually get to the movie. I watched a blu-ray disc a month or so ago on the PS3 for the first time in at least 2 years, and I was only seconds short of tearing my hair out and cursing the disc and it's producers to the deepest fiery pits of hell for putting me through the experience.
post #17 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

It's pretty sick what you're forced to sit through before you can actually get to the movie. I watched a blu-ray disc a month or so ago on the PS3 for the first time in at least 2 years, and I was only seconds short of tearing my hair out and cursing the disc and it's producers to the deepest fiery pits of hell for putting me through the experience.

Just a tip, while you can't skip all the junk like you should be able to!! You can fast foward
post #18 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Just a tip, while you can't skip all the junk like you should be able to!! You can fast foward

Yeah, it's just the principal of the matter that gets me all fired up.
post #19 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, it's just the principal of the matter that gets me all fired up.

You're not the only one! Although we do like to watch some of the previews/trailers to see if there is anything we would like to see. I can do without the damn commercials though!

Mike

post #20 of 31 Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
WDTV Box... or PS3...
post #21 of 31 Old 05-28-2010, 05:17 AM

OH c'mon guys. You don't enjoy watching commercials about the new exciting features of BR when you're watching a BR movie!!!! Now I'm fired up!!!

OH, I use a PCH for my non dedicate HT setup.
post #22 of 31 Old 05-28-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I've contemplated on building a HTPC in the past, specially since I have all the pictures, video clips etc on a RAID server already; However, with a non technical family, 2 daughters+ 11 year old + wife it was bad enough some years ago just with 4, 5 different remote controls. That of course got resolved with a harmony.

I still rip some video/movies for the IPods/ITouches/IPad and they just have to sync, but it comes to something having the least of trouble working the way it should it just not there, at least not yet. I have a Sony mega 400 DVD player that has ONLY movies and it works flawlessly. The Graphical interface might not be very sexy and nice but it gives you the information you need to choose what you want to watch. The next acquisition will be the Sony BD 400 mega player that will have only BD movies.

In 2-3 years we'll see there might be a 3-D Mega something, or by then HTPC will be main stream devices, in the mean time real disc are it for me.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #23 of 31 Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Blu Ray, HD on demand, Xbox Live, HBO, DVD
post #24 of 31 Old 05-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

My HTPC worked perfectly, then blu-ray, HDMI, and HDCP came along. Since then I've been fighting with audio/video dropouts, inexplicable gliches in movie playback, codecs that mysteriously stop working, audio that mysteriously stops working, system resolutions that change on their own, loosing video when coming out of standby, subtitles that won't work, GUI's crashing, etc. In short, all the problems I dealt with with DVD back in 2000-2005. The time it takes to get everything set up and sorted completely eliminates the convenience factor. I imagine it will be sorted around the time Microsoft integrates native blu-ray support in the OS (Win8?), so we don't have to rely on get-what-you pay for free codecs and media browsers. But by that time, then who cares?
post #25 of 31 Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader View Post

My HTPC worked perfectly, then blu-ray, HDMI, and HDCP came along. Since then I've been fighting with audio/video dropouts, inexplicable gliches in movie playback, codecs that mysteriously stop working, audio that mysteriously stops working, system resolutions that change on their own, loosing video when coming out of standby, subtitles that won't work, GUI's crashing, etc. In short, all the problems I dealt with with DVD back in 2000-2005. The time it takes to get everything set up and sorted completely eliminates the convenience factor. I imagine it will be sorted around the time Microsoft integrates native blu-ray support in the OS (Win8?), so we don't have to rely on get-what-you pay for free codecs and media browsers. But by that time, then who cares?

+1

My wife and I have a 6 mo. old, so we get to watch movies during his nap times. The last time we watched a movie we had to restart the HTPC 3 times before we finished it. Everytime we would leave it paused for a while, when we came back and tried to start playing it again something wouldn't work. Video, Audio, the resolution was off. I'm beginning to think it's just not worth the hassle.

That's why I was curious what those of you with dedicated theaters do. It seems an awful waste to have that much time and effort in you HT, then have the actual movie not work flawlessly every time.

post #26 of 31 Old 05-29-2010, 04:39 AM

windows 7 ultimate based HTPC running media centre, media browser and meta browser for the artwork.

TMT3 platinum and Anydvd HD

16 TB Seagate Barracuda`s.

ATI 5450 and Catalyst 10.3 drivers with HD passthrough bitstreaming

This setup works flawlessly for playing back of bluray ISO`s for me with no glitches, nothing

Try it and you`ll love it

Al
post #27 of 31 Old 05-29-2010, 08:49 AM

I use an HTPC... Windows 7 64 bit, using MediaPortal as a front end to watch movies/TV seasons. I have a library of about 700 movies saved and I feel like MediaPortal with Moving Pictures does a great job of organizing them and making them accessible. As well as great playback once you get it correctly set-up. I have 1500-2000 TV episodes and MediaPortal works great for those as well.

I do have a Blu Ray drive on the HTPC, but I've never used it to playback video.... so I can't comment on how that works.

The only thing I use WMC for is live TV, I just feel like it does a much better job.
post #28 of 31 Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

+1

My wife and I have a 6 mo. old, so we get to watch movies during his nap times. The last time we watched a movie we had to restart the HTPC 3 times before we finished it. Everytime we would leave it paused for a while, when we came back and tried to start playing it again something wouldn't work. Video, Audio, the resolution was off. I'm beginning to think it's just not worth the hassle.

That's why I was curious what those of you with dedicated theaters do. It seems an awful waste to have that much time and effort in you HT, then have the actual movie not work flawlessly every time.

For my upcoming HT 2.0 I'm thinking about getting one of the Sony 400 disc blu-ray players with the menu system that fetches meta data for all the discs, and keeping the HTPC for online content, netflix streaming, and recording OTA tv. To be honest with my new Intel H55 motherboard I've got the setup reasonably well sorted, but I wasted an entire weekend doing so. I ended up having to disable a driver service that kept trying to help me out by automatically kicking my display into an "optimal resolution" that it could not display. Gee, thanks? I won't even start with the problems and hacks I went through with my previous ATI setup. Check out some of the hundred page threads on spoofing EDID so people can get the same functionality out of a $1000 htpc that they could otherwise get from the $150 bluray player.
If Sony would make a 400 disc PS3 changer, that would do just about everything I need.
post #29 of 31 Old 05-29-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

I haven't bit the pc storage arena yet..

when money is available I think I'll doing a 5-10x 400 disc array...

i'll do a large storage server aswell

sony already does a 400 disc changer, pity the don't develop it it to have a plugin game interface using the 400 disc storage as a gaming portal
post #30 of 31 Old 05-29-2010, 10:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
I use a Kaleidescape. The kids (6 & 4) have no problems using the system. Nothing is more reliable, so the wife is happy too.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page