Rich H's Variable Image Size Home Theater - Build Thread - Completed! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Great looking room Rich! Congrats, and thanks for putting in all the time to document your build to share with us, must have taken many hours.

Curious - were you missing some bulbs on the ceiling when you took the pics? At first I thought it had a very assymetric light layout, but then noticed 3 of the fixtures were dark. I like the ceiling look, any closer pics of it available? Looking for ideas, and liked the molding treatment up there to break up the wide expanse of my otherwise undecorated ceiling (no soffit - yet anyway).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rich, your theater looks great! I'll be taking at least a couple of your ideas for my HT. Yours looks very cozy and inviting. The front speakers are hidden very well even though they are not behind the front wall. It was a successful compromise.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT

post #63 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Rich, thanks for putting up this thread. Having followed your posts in the projectors section it's great to finally see the finished article. I think you've achieved a great room without spoiling for day to use, which is my aim too. I'll probably be taking away some ideas myself when I revamp my living room later this year (just finishing a major kitchen reno so I need a break for a while ), so I hope that's a compliment.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #64 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What a great room Rich, congrats! I especially like your idea on the proj solution.

Floyd

post #65 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Thanks guys. I'll get to answering any questions. Just gotta post the final shots/descriptions....

Rich H

post #66 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SO...DOES IT ALL WORK?

Believe it or not: Yes.

There have certainly been many bumps in the road, but ultimately it worked out even better than I hoped for.

The JVC projector puts out a stellar image.

The projector lift works beautifully and reliably. In fact the projector lift may actually be the thing that gets the most "Oh My God" comments in the whole room. Once the button is pressed the projector appears out of nowhere, rising from behind the sofa up...up...up quite high. I get lots of "It's like a James Bond movie" comments. :-)

The screen wall turned out just as I wanted. I was quite nervous about how it would look, given how busy it could have appeared with buikheads, two different masking systems combined etc. What really helped was using the Fidelio black velvet everywhere possible which gave a consistency to the material look. And the fact that all the screen wall fabrics/materials (excepting screen) are black, you don't see little seams or discontinuities. So the whole screen wall looks really even, coherent, one-of-a-piece.
It strikes me as having a coherent built-in look, rather than a bunch of systems thrown together.

Not to mention I get that image-floating-surrounded-by-pitch-black look I was craving!

MASKING: It works!

I knew the system would be a bit of a kludge: the Carada only offers 2 preset image heights: 16:9 (masks fully open) and 2:35:1 (masks deployed). While the Goelst offered 5 different image width pre-sets. Both Carada and Goelst systems also allow you to move the panels to any in-between points - in the case of the Carada system there is a "jog" button that moves the masks in 1/2" increments. The Goelst system you just hold down the "open" or "close" buttons and the masking smoothly travels to wherever you want. It stops on a dime too! Very responsive to the remote, to perfectly precise masking is quite easy.

During initial planning stages for my HT, I wasn't actually sure how'd I'd use the system. Was I just going to zoom the image first to whatever size I want and then mask around the image using the masking controls? Or would I more likely use pre-set image sizes and then use the projector zoom to fit those?

Turns out I've found it easiest to have pre-set image sizes. I select an aspect ratio/image size, and as the screen is altering it's shape I zoom the image to fit. It's fast and easy.

This would all have to be whipped into shape by a powerful Universal Remote Control, which is why I bought a full RTI system. It can be programmed to do almost anything you can dream up. My AV installer (who sold me the RTI and programmed the remote) and I found that we could use macros to make one-button commands for literally any image AR or size as we wanted. Aside from the screen shape itself, there was no limit.

We made some initial image sizes that employed the pre-set stopping points available on the Goelst/Carada systems. Then for all the subsequent image sizes/AR choices, we would choose the closest pre-set stopping points already programmed, and followed by the appropriate amount of "jog" and "open/close" commands to get the masks to the desired new position.

At this point I have 16 pre-set image ARs and image sizes and have found no need for more.

Now, the one issue with this system is that, when you select certain image sizes the masks don't travel directly to that shape. Rather, they move out, or in, to an intermediate position, and then move again to the final position. So the screen sometimes does a "magic shape changing thing" where, if you didn't know what image size was chosen, you'd wonder where it's going to end up. I don't mind this, it actually looks kind of cool and the timing is virtually perfect for how long it takes to zoom the image anyway. (Takes about 12 to 15 seconds to change images size/AR).

Lastly, the masking system has proven to be amazingly reliable and accurate! I keep measuring to see if there is any drift, but the Carada and Goelst masks stop dead on to wherever they were programmed, over and over.

So I can give my hearty recommendation for anyone considering the same type of solution for automated masking.

Rich H

post #67 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

MASKING SYSTEM SHOTS

Here are some quick shots of the masking in different positions (BTW, some of the masking lines may look
crooked in these shots; it's the camera lens, they are straight in real life):

1:85:1

2:35:1

The extra tall screen (vs strict CIH) allows me to open up the image height/size for more spectacular presentations when desired, for instance Avatar, IMAX-source movies...or just when I want a bigger 16:9 picture:

I can also go for a bigger 4:3 image as well:

This was very gratifying for a recent viewing of the Wizard Of Oz blu-ray, where I could have quite a huge 4:3 image for a cinematic effect.

Rich H

post #68 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

HERE'S MY RTI T2-C REMOTE CONTROL:

I love this remote. It was certainly a pricey remote control system, but it feels like quality when you hold and use it - it's really solid, very ergonomic in my hand etc.

Perhaps a better shot:

For me it's virtually the "perfect remote" insofar as it has all the hard buttons I would need as well as a customizable touch screen. I started with a more fully touch-screen oriented remote (a T3) but missed the ergonomics of hard buttons, so this remote fits the bill.

We have it working via RF antenna. The signals are sent from the remote to the RF antenna, which then sends the signal to an RTI RP6 control module, mounted in my equipment rack. Since all the commands are actually stored in the command module, which is hard wired to my equipment, it means that even for the longest macro commands, the remote only has to send a single command via RF, then the macro string is reliably executed by the main RP6 unit. No unreliable macros and you don't have to point the remote at any components.

LIGHT CONTROL

I use the Lutron Grafik Eye system, which allowed me to break up the lighting into 6 different discretely controlled zones on the ceiling. There are 8 pot lights, which are controlled as 3 different zone - from closer to the screen to the furthest from the screen, and four sections of track lights, in an outer square. The track lights are worked as 3 different zones: front colored lights, side lights, over the sofa lights.

This allows me total control over the lighting and vibe in the room. I can control exactly how much light we might want to have on over the sofa area, without spill on to the screen. Once you've controlled directivity of the lights like this, combined with non reflective surfaces, it's pretty startling just how bright you can have the lights on over the sofa area while having an image on the screen. The image looks almost the same whether bright lights are on over the sofa or not. It's almost a plasma-like experience, and this is with a Stewart ST-130 1.3 gain white material, which is among the most sensitive-to-ambient-light screens you can buy.

I can select light control either from the remote home page or from any of the movie/TV watching pages. Selecting the LIGHTS button brings me to the light control page, for different pre-set lighting scenes:

More discrete controls are on the next page, to control the different zones of light separately:

Choosing the COLORED LIGHTS button brings up the page with the LED colored light controlls, mapped to the screen. So I can select light color, light dissolve patterns or whatever:

Rich H

post #69 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

USING THE SYSTEM: WATCHING A MOVIE

I find the image looks excellent even if I simply just close the automated blinds and the doorway curtains. However, being a fellow AVS nut you know I want to maximize image quality by controlling light in the room. So to that end I've ensured I have options available to help. Again, I went dark on the floor, ceiling and furniture because those are things that would be generally hard to change to watch a movie. I went light on the walls to keep it cheery in the day time, and because I figured ways I could easily change the reflectivity of the room for movie watching using curtains/blinds. Besides, materials like velvet curtains are, in terms of reflectivity, generally much darker than any paint. I could probably paint the room black and it would still be more reflective than using dark velvet curtains pulled along the walls.

First, here's a close up of the remote control MAIN PAGE (or "Home") screen:

As you can see I can choose the screen size either before I put a movie in or there's an option in the movie-watching pages to do so as well.

When I press the WATCH MOVIE button it goes to the movie-set-up page:

Pressing "System On" starts a macro that: shuts the window blinds, turns the projector and equipment on and sets the lighting to dim (I turn the lights off when everyone is settled in). The PROJ UP and PROJ DOWN buttons raise and lower the projector. That command is also mapped to a hard button that is hard to see in the picture. When you press and hold PROJ UP this happens:

PROJECTOR BEGINS RISING FROM BEHIND SOFA

PROJECTOR LIFTED TO FULL HEIGHT:

"Look up...look waaaay up...." (Canadians will know that one). It's a neato sight watching the projector telescope way up high. That will be part of the video I'll post, hopefully soon.

You can also see my rear FX speakers mounted between the bay windows. They do a nice job of filling in the rear ambience for movies etc.

Rich H

post #70 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

CUTTING LIGHT REFLECTIONS

This is where curtains, and some other hidden ploys, come into action. After I've pressed the SYSTEM ON button and the projector is warming up, I quickly pull the curtains around the room.

There's a curtain that sits in the back wall corner, that I can pull along the back wall:

Room entrance:

Curtains pulled to close off room entrance. They also pull along the walls right up to the side FX speaker:

What about the other side of the room? The fireplace side? Well, I want to kill reflective surfaces along that wall as far as I can a well. To that end I had a blind made from the same chocolate brown velvet as the curtains. The blind is hidden up between the small space between the coffered ceiling and the wall, so it's completely out of site when not used. I've taken this over-exposed photo, looking up into the ceiling where you can see the blind hiding:

Here's the blind when lowered:

Next I have another panel of the brown velvet I had made to cover the rest of the fireplace.
It's kept in the ottoman nearest the fireplace:

It has 3 little eyelet holes, which hook on to 3 discrete hooks on the fireplace. Here's a close up of one hooking point:

FIREPLACE COVER ON (images are over-exposed somewhat so you can see better):

The curtain to the side of the screen covers that section of wall. Together they provide a very dark, non-reflective material surface along the wall, well out from the screen sides:

Again, this process is very fast. I can do this transformation in under 30 seconds.

I even had a large panel made from the Fidelio Black Velvet material. This panel is kept in one of the ottomans. When I want I can even lay that on the floor, out from the stage area, to make the floor entirely black right up to the ottomans. The effect is plenty amazing, actually. The rug is already dark so I don't think it's a big deal in terms of killing light reflection, but the way the room just disappears in front of you when all this is done just sucks you into the image big time. Many a guest has commented on this aspect. I think attention to the little details which many dismiss as subtle or unimportant end up reaping big dividends overall.

Rich H

post #71 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Wow Rich--You have come a long way since our days of debating Fujitsu and Panny 42" plasmas over at the plasma forum Rogo would be proud!!

In my view, this room is a "reference room" for how to combine a home theater experience with an everyday, main floor living space. This is worthy of an article in Electronic House etc. Can't wait to see the video.

I especially love the ceiling (are those high velocity air vents up there?).

The room is all around amazing and you should be proud of what you achieved with your careful planning.

Great work, and thanks for sharing it.
post #72 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

USING REMOTE CONTROL...and MASKING CONTROLS

If I choose BLU-RAY from the WATCH MOVIE page, it switches the source to Blu-Ray and ends on this page:

I like the fact all the transport and menu buttons are mapped to the remotes hard buttons for ease of use in the dark, freeing up the touch screen to have various options readily available. Pressing SOUND, or PICTURE brings me to pages allowing fine control.

You can see on the bottom right that there is a SCREEN SIZE button, like on the main home page. Pressing that button brings up pages from which I can select and manipulate image sizes. PAGE ONE:

PAGE TWO

What happens is I choose a pre-set Aspect Ratio/Image size button, say...16:9 115"

That starts the screen size changing and calls up the projector's lens zoom feature on the screen. As the masking is changing size I'm zooming the image out to fit the width of the screen - the projector is centered so it zooms out evenly on both sides. This makes it really quick and easy to just zoom until the edges of the image meet the new image width.
Then it's just a quick vertical shift up or down to adjust the image into place (the top/bottom masks will have stopped in place by that point).

ETA: This is also were a good universal remote pays dividends. I have all the commands needed for making a new image size mapped to the IMAGE SIZE pages. The projector lens functions are mapped to the center cursor buttons (zoom/shift etc), while, aside from the discrete image size buttons being on the LCD screen, the masking open/close control of the Carada is mapped to the "channel up/down" ("open/close" masks) and the Goelst side masking is mapped to the "volume up/down" ("open/close") buttons...just in case any minor adjustments need to be made to the masking. So it's all easy to reach by one thumb.

This process is quick and painless. I have it down to as low as 12 seconds to change from one AR/image size to a new one. And guests tend to think it's way cool watching the process. I use the JVC RS20 projector's lens pattern, which has all the relevant ARs marked in "laser green" against a black background, and it really does look cool using it.

Rich H

post #73 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SCREEN SHOTS

Ok, here are some very quick screen shots of the system at various image shapes/sizes. Unfortunately my tripod was a piece o' crap and was very wiggly, so the low exposure times plus the wiggle made for somewhat blurry images. But I want to finish this thread and can't be bothered to do better for now. I left some lights on over the ottomans to try to give a little bit of perspective to the shots, but I note that the screen size changes don't come across with remotely the same size difference/impact they do in person. But...it'll have to do.

Here's a 1:85:1 (almost 16:9) AR image, from Ang Lee's HULK (I think around 105" diagonal):

You do get a sense of the image-floating-in-black effect that I was going for. It's one of the more satisfying results of the reno, to my mind.

Image in wide mode - LOTR Return Of The King:

WIZARD OF OZ, 4:3 AR, at full screen height:

Rich H

post #74 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Whew...that's all I can think of posting for now..until I manage to put any video up.

Feel free to let me know what you think or ask questions. I tried to design to overcome various challenges and issues. I certainly learned a lot from this forum. I posted in detail just in case any of my ideas/approach are remotely helpful to other people wrestling with similar design/aesthetic/ergonomic issues.

I'll respond soon.

Cheers,

Rich H

post #75 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
All I can say is OUTSTANDING!!!

I love your flexibility of being able to do different screen sizes. The only thing that may bug me is the projector zoom but it seems like you have that down to a science. Very, very, very, nice. Thanks for sharing.

post #76 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know if I mentioned it, but in case it wasn't obvious from the pix, my L/C/R speakers around the screen have been covered with (fitted) Fidelio black velvet as well, so with the lights down the completely disappear from view.

Rich H

post #77 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

My post inadvertently fell right between your posts of pics, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't lost in there. Just outstanding!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon View Post

Wow Rich--You have come a long way since our days of debating Fujitsu and Panny 42" plasmas over at the plasma forum Rogo would be proud!!

In my view, this room is a "reference room" for how to combine a home theater experience with an everyday, main floor living space. This is worthy of an article in Electronic House etc. Can't wait to see the video.

The room is all around amazing and you should be proud of what you achieved with your careful planning.

post #78 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

REPLIES TO COMMENTS SO FAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelc View Post

Rich:

It looks great, looking forward to more pictures...

Regarding the pain and sleepless nights I can relate as I am going through those myself...it is good to know that they eventually end..

Wonderful to see a fellow Torontonian posting here...I do not know where in the city you but I am near Yonge and 401 so, when my theatre is done, you are invited over for a test drive...

Have a good weekend..

Thanks for the invite. Careful, I may well take you up on it. It's how I met AVS forum member "mrlittlejeans" as well.

I was crazy about details on this project. You wouldn't believe even how many sofa materials I researched, everything figured out to the inch. It was like a grotesque, surreal Rubik's cube of renovation horror. Every time I tweaked an inch there, other things would be affected.

I have a pal who is in to music and 2 channel stereo and who has a nice little projection system as well. It's an old Panasonic AE700 720p projector and a smallish graywolf screen. It's all he needs and he's very happy (I like his set up too - I watch a lot of stuff over at his house).

Sometimes I thought it would be wiser to be more easily satisfied rather than sweat every detail. But I think one element of wisdom when doing these projects and soliciting advice is "know thyself." I know that ultimately all the little things, the things I didn't do when I had the chance, would bug me...even if they wouldn't bug someone like my pal.

That's why it can be hard taking advice from some people who don't share the same characteristics; solutions for their temperament may not be solutions for mine.

In the end of course I'm glad I sweated the details. Everytime I use my room I feel like everything, every detail, is "just right" and just as I desire, so it's extremely satisfying. I use the room constantly.

So...take that FWIW. May your "pain" end soon and the movie watching begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Nice build (so far). But sorry, it seems a bit like pushing a square peg into a round hole; a beautiful, round hole.

Good luck.

CD

Curious what you think of the end results. If you don't like it no problem, I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Nice work!

If you don't mind could you PM the price you paid for the Masking system and where you purchased it from? I'm thinking it may be the next thing I do in my theater.

Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post

LOVE those LEDs!

So do I. I'm all about flexibility and being able to alter the mood of the room via lighting adds to the fun. And they are cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Great looking room Rich! Congrats, and thanks for putting in all the time to document your build to share with us, must have taken many hours.

Curious - were you missing some bulbs on the ceiling when you took the pics? At first I thought it had a very assymetric light layout, but then noticed 3 of the fixtures were dark. I like the ceiling look, any closer pics of it available? Looking for ideas, and liked the molding treatment up there to break up the wide expanse of my otherwise undecorated ceiling (no soffit - yet anyway).

You spotted it, you wily dog you.

Yeah, a few of the lights aren't working at the moment. It might be the bulbs which I have to check out, but I couldn't be bothered waiting any longer to take photos (my friend, a photographer, took a bunch of the "finished room" photos for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

Rich, your theater looks great! I'll be taking at least a couple of your ideas for my HT. Yours looks very cozy and inviting. The front speakers are hidden very well even though they are not behind the front wall. It was a successful compromise.

Thanks. Another benefit of having the speakers "disappear" during a movie is that when you don't see the sound source your brain tends to "map" the sound to the picture better. It may not go all the way to an Acoustic Transfer screen effect, but it gets closer.

I find it pays off to pay attention to what might seem "little" or "subtle" details when designing the viewing experience. It makes the difference between "good" and getting to the "next level." A number of forum members have made awesome theaters and clearly understand this.
(Some of the builds here blow my mind in the scope of the work...they make me actually think I'm the sane one!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Rich, thanks for putting up this thread. Having followed your posts in the projectors section it's great to finally see the finished article. I think you've achieved a great room without spoiling for day to use, which is my aim too. I'll probably be taking away some ideas myself when I revamp my living room later this year (just finishing a major kitchen reno so I need a break for a while ), so I hope that's a compliment.

Nice to hear from you Kelvin and I appreciate the props. Steal away

Since I described some of my earlier ideas and reno stages on the UK AV forum, I figure I'll get around to posting some of this stuff on that forum as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

What a great room Rich, congrats! I especially like your idea on the proj solution.

Cheers.

It's really convenient too; if I have to get at the projector for any reason, clean it, change the bulb or whatever, it's easy to just lift it up to work on.
Another benefit is that it can go both high enough to work with an angular-reflective screen like my Stewart ST-130, or it could go only as high as needed to work with a retro-reflective screen like the Da Lite High Power screen (which needs the projector lower, closer to the viewer's head height).
Turned out I didn't go with the High Power screen, but it's nice to know the flexibility is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon View Post

Dixon, so nice to hear from you. Look at our join dates, huh? Remember when we had one foot into the future with our spanking new flat screens?

Thank you for the compliments regarding the room. I mean to post a few photos on my old "Goodbye Panasonic Plasma" thread. I don't know if anyone I know is still around in the plasma forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

All I can say is OUTSTANDING!!!

I love your flexibility of being able to do different screen sizes. The only thing that may bug me is the projector zoom but it seems like you have that down to a science. Very, very, very, nice. Thanks for sharing.

Much obliged.

I actually really enjoy the process of changing the picture size. It's fun and looks cool.

Over 'n out.

Rich H

post #79 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Nice classy look Rich, nice work !!

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #80 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Congratulations Rich! I know this has been in the works for quite some time. I've always enjoyed reading your take on different subject even back to when you wanted a bigger plasma (not much need for that anymore now).
post #81 of 210 Old 06-08-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Great job Rich. Looks like a very comfy space. Hope you are enjoying it.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #82 of 210 Old 06-09-2010, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Great job, looks fantastic...

Joel
Some people choose to have a pool, I choose to have a home theater!
post #83 of 210 Old 06-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Rich.. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the write up for the construction of your room, thanks for sharing the experiences.

Exceptional planning and execution for the space while preserving the character of your home, the color/texture choices fit beautifully. (personally I have an affinity for stained glass and would have had trouble letting go of the windows) Out of curiousity, what year was your home built?

Again, congratulations, great space you created.

Brad

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #84 of 210 Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNKKNK View Post

Rich.. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the write up for the construction of your room, thanks for sharing the experiences.

Exceptional planning and execution for the space while preserving the character of your home, the color/texture choices fit beautifully. (personally I have an affinity for stained glass and would have had trouble letting go of the windows) Out of curiousity, what year was your home built?

Again, congratulations, great space you created.

Brad

Brad,

Thanks. If my wife is happy I must have done something right.

Regarding the stained glass windows, I understand. However close up the windows were old, stained and grotty, not to mention buckled and cracked so air was coming in during the winter. I was told they couldn't be fixed.

For me the "nice" factor of those windows wore off long ago; I always wanted a better view outside to the street, which has beautiful trees and houses, which the stained glass blocked. Plus, I wanted to counterbalance the fact was was doing a dark ceiling and some dark furniture by getting rid of the stained glass and letting in more light. I think the room remains as bright as it does, despite the darker ceiling, due to this decision.

I can't remember exactly when the house was built. Sometime between 1915 and 1925 I think, though I may be a bit off. I could find out, I think, if you really want to know.

Rich H

post #85 of 210 Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Nice classy look Rich, nice work !!

Art

Much obliged Art!

My reno is certainly not going to thrill those looking for the more spectacular theater-like constructions that can be seen on this forum. But happily it does suit my tastes and goals for the room.

Rich H

post #86 of 210 Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Brad,

I can't remember exactly when the house was built. Sometime between 1915 and 1925 I think, though I may be a bit off. I could find out, I think, if you really want to know.

Thats ok... it was just a curiousity.. I love the look of the Victorian/Revival period homes and have tried to recreate it in a few new builds but found the detail and mill work to be cost prohibitive.

I understand about the windows.. cant have cold Jan drafts on your neck while watching Aliens in scope

Brad

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #87 of 210 Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
I have been less present here lately, so just catching up. Looks great, downright elegant. Very nice balance. Be sure to add some picks to the show me threads for future folks who might try to strike your kind of balance. And put a link in your sig!

Dave

|
|
|
post #88 of 210 Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I got the Fidelio Black Velvet shipped from the States, from here:

http://www.bymichelle.com/fidelio.html

I highly recommend this fabric. I looked at many of the black velvets offered in my city and none had the combination of pitch blackness, non-reflectivity combined with a rich, lustrous look.

thank you for that indo rich. do you remember if this fabric is stretchy at all? reason i ask is because i am having a local blind place make me masking panels and when i brought them a sample of 701 GOM, they said it was too stretchy to make into a mask. any idea?

thanks.

PS. did you ever go to designer fabrics on queen street downtown? they have a wide selection of black velvets... just wondering if you did and your take on those.

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

Home Automation Construction Thread

post #89 of 210 Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

thank you for that indo rich. do you remember if this fabric is stretchy at all? reason i ask is because i am having a local blind place make me masking panels and when i brought them a sample of 701 GOM, they said it was too stretchy to make into a mask. any idea?

I just tried stretching a bit of the Fidelio velvet (I still have some bits left over). It's actually quite tight as fabrics go, likely due to the backing, so it stretches very little when pulled.

However, do I infer correctly your masking idea is to have pull down masking, which roll up on blinds? If so I know from experience that most normal materials won't do.

I have one area left on my wall, beyond my fireplace toward the back of the room, that is not covered by curtains when watching a movie. I had planned on using a blind system for that space - material put on a roller blind, hidden up in the ceiling, that I'd pull down to cover that area of the wall.

The blind place rejected most materials as too stretchy and we settled on choosing materials from those offered by blind manufacturers, which were dark black out plastic fabrics (no stretch at all). I haven't employed this yet.

You might find that your blind place will try with non-standard materials like the Fidelio velvet, I don't know.

This is one reason why I made the velvet cover/blind over my fireplace a "roman blind." That style of blind essentially folds the material up, rather than winding it around a roller, and hence stretching isn't an issue, leaving fabric choices much more open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

PS. did you ever go to designer fabrics on queen street downtown? they have a wide selection of black velvets... just wondering if you did and your take on those.

You bet. I was a fixture there for over a year looking at various fabrics for my room. I looked at all their black velvets. They were decent, but I saw nothing that was as dark and as nice looking as the Fidelio fabric.

Rich H

post #90 of 210 Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

thats great info thanks so much. yes, i am building a masking system like carada's masquerade using the same somfy motor and rollease tube system. my room is covered in black GOM so i wanted to stick with that, but it seems its too stretchy for any blind place to make it work and they have recommended to either but a vinyl backing on it or use their own plastic type materials. i don't want to use their materials since they all have some sheen to it and not as absorbing as GOM or velvet, hence why im looking for something different.

since you suggest its not very stretchy then i think i will order it for my masks and screen border. its a bit pricey, but i don't want to have to redo it either so its money well spent.

btw, is the fidelio very thick? any concern having it roll up on the blind roller or is the thickness not an issue?

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

Home Automation Construction Thread

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page