Moltar's "I have no idea what I'm doing" Home Theater thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've recently decided i'm hosed and that I have no idea what i'm doing..

I sort of found some speakers on Dell's website for $350 USD (price later dropped to 300!! got the difference back)
Pinnacle MB8000 Speakers

Next, I bought an Onkyo TX-SR608 from www.abt.com for $390 USD (found about the live chat thing off of www.avsforum.com)
Onkyo TS-SR608

Next, I went to Ikea (yeah, i needed some furniture too) and bought a tv stand for $80 USD (and a new computer desk, but that doesn't count). I added in glass doors (ugh, 40 bucks a piece for 2) and the fancy legs (another 20 bucks for 4)
Besta TV Stand

The next part requires explaining. I've included the original mockup (in pdf format) of my plans. My house is a patio home.. pretty small. I want to be able to hook my computer up to my receiver, so I plan to run HDMI, S/PDIF, and speaker wire through the walls (on June 19th, actually). My old video card didn't have HDMI out, so i craigslist-sold my old one (got 125 bucks for it!) and bought an ATI Radeon 5770 for $160 bucks. I also picked up a blu-ray drive for my computer for $69 USD.
XFX Radeon HD 5770
SAMSUNG Black 8X BD-ROM - Bulk Model

Here is my problem:

Now i'm buying cables. Thus far, I'm planning on the following:
One panel for the bedroom: 4 keystone panel: Cable, Ethernet (already ran in wall), HDMI, and S/PDIF
Two Panels in the living room:
- 4 keystone panel: Cable, Ethernet (already ran in wall), HDMI, and S/PDIF
- a 7.2 surround sound panel for $40 USD [SEEMS EXPENSIVE]
7.2 Surround Sound Panel

My new plan is to wallmount the tv and the speakers. However, I just opened the speaker box and took out one of the fronts to look at the banana plugs. HOLY CRAP, IS IT HEAVY. This is my first HT set up, and I'm completely confused on if that's actually how heavy it is suppose to be. I don't even know if i can mount something that's 10 or 15 pounds on the wall with the dinky speaker mounts i saw on monoprice.

I have another running list of wires and keystone parts that I need to order, but it's incomplete. I'll post it if asked.

Please, someone take a look and see if there is anything I've missed or something I've screwed up. I've already spent alot of cash (i was trying to do this on a budget.. HA!) and i'm trying not to waste any money. Thus far most of what i've bought I caught on sale and such.

I dunno.. maybe I'm freaking out.. tonight was the first time actually touching a piece of the stereo system i've already spent 1.2k on.. with at least another 200 bucks to go on wires..

What does avsforums think? All accusations of being a n00b are welcome as long as they come with advice!

Home Theater.pdf 43.8154296875k . file
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page