My equipment closet cooling set up works with one problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an equipment closet with 2 amps, prepro, blue ray, power conditioner, 2 sat receivers with a four way switch/amp, router. The closet is 30 inches by 30 inches and 8 feet tall with a door (basically a small closet).
I have two types of systems for keeping the closet and equipment cool and they do their job.
Winter system:
1. a vent near the top of the cabinet and above the door that has two fans and a temperature sensor. The door has a 1 1/4 inch gap under it. The air enters from under the door and exits from the vent near the top. The fan runs most of the time due to the heat from the sat boxes even when the a/v equipment is off. The heat from the equipment closet helps heat the house.
Summer system:
2. A bathroom fan with a temperature switch from home depot that vents the air to the attic when windows are open which keep the heat out of the house. The other cabinet fan is turned off and vent closed (both vents can be opened and closed.
ONLY PROBLEM: The home depot temperature switch on the bathroom fan causes a noise on my intercom system each time it turns off and on. Can anyone recommend another type of switch that can eliminate that noise?
Other that that issue, the system works great. I don't want to change the vent in the ceiling and I don't want the fan to run 24/7. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 AM

If I had to guess it is probably the fan turning on and off that is causing the noise versus the t-stat switch itself. I think you probably have 1 of 2 things going on.
1. the fan and the intercom are on the same circuit? If so then I would try to run a dedicated circuit to the fan (Same thought if you are using the same neutral for the 2 circuits)
2. the fan is on the same "phase" as the intercom system, if you look at your panel you should have 2 "hot" (each one is a phase) wires in it, they alternate breakers as they go through your panel, Circuits 1&2 are on phase 1 or A, 3&4 B, 5&6 A, 7&8 B and so on, sometimes if they are on the same phase you can get noise. (Just move the circuit for the fan to the alternate phase to see if that helps any.

Just thought of another possible issue, your intercom system, does it have its own wires from each location (either Cat-5 or other data cables) does it work through RF or does it send the signal through your electrical lines?

Chris
Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Liked: 13
I had a similar problem with an attic fan switch from Lowe's. The switch would loudly chatter (rapidly switch on/off many times) when it was close to the setpoint.

I replaced it with a Lux LV3 line voltage cooling-only thermostat which is much higher quality and cheaper! It's heavy metal frame gives a hysteresis effect, which means when it switches on it will stay on longer until the frame cools below the setpoint, and so will never chatter.

--Dan
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm glad to hear that setup is working well, I am planning to do the same for my next equipment room. In my present equipment room I have a Panasonic Whisper ceiling fan, and I get a loud pop through my subwoofer amp (an old Onkyo Integra stereo amp) every time it comes on. For the next room I'm going to make sure to keep the equipment rack on it's own circuit
Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnjp1 View Post

I had a similar problem with an attic fan switch from Lowe's. The switch would loudly chatter (rapidly switch on/off many times) when it was close to the setpoint.

I replaced it with a Lux LV3 line voltage cooling-only thermostat which is much higher quality and cheaper! It's heavy metal frame gives a hysteresis effect, which means when it switches on it will stay on longer until the frame cools below the setpoint, and so will never chatter.

--Dan

Sounds like the same problem I am having. Where did you get the LV3. The only Lux I can find around my area are the programable digital ones.

I have disconnected the switch and it solved the problem. I need to get a replacement and would like to get the same one you had success with.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamulian View Post

Sounds like the same problem I am having. Where did you get the LV3. The only Lux I can find around my area are the programable digital ones.

I have disconnected the switch and it solved the problem. I need to get a replacement and would like to get the same one you had success with.

I ordered it over a year ago from Amazon. At the time it was sold by and shipped directly from Lux for under $17. Now it shows the LV3 as "Currently unavailable".

Try the sites on the Lux where to buy page. If you can't find one, there's an 800 number on that page where you might be able to buy direct from Lux. Good luck.

--Dan
Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I called LUX and they gave me a number of where to order it so I have one coming now. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I post when I get it installed. Probably a few days.
Thanks