Post your Dead Vent and HVAC Pics - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #151 of 157 Old 10-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
Great Thread.
I pretty much finished my HT /multipurpose room. After 3 attempts - I finally have the sound (namely the low frequency) containment at an acceptable point and don't want to lose that - however I want/need to ventilate it. See (front , back and layout) pics below -
(a1) Where should I put the vents?
Room is about 22' (front to back) x12' (side to side) x 6.5' tall. I have about 15" of space between the desk and adj. wall (this space is pretty much in the center of the room's width)- perhaps I can build a dead vent there.
The other side of that wall is the equip room, which leads into the HT hallway (see pic)
In the front, I have a soffit where I keep the projector screen - it's about 11" high, behind that front wall is the wood frame and then the concrete slab (so nowhere to exchange air with) - however behind the door shown on the left is a closet which opens to the main part of the basement. Being that the screen is AT - can I put the vent behind it- so that it's opposite the vent in the back of the room?
(a2) Which outside areas should I exchange air with- (see layout pic below)
(b) What should I buy?- I see the Fantech FX6XL and FG6XL fans mentioned, however being that the dates they were mentioned are old - I'll ask - is there a newer model which is more recommended (more energy efficient? quieter?). What about this one(http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF6CF6...ds=392+cfm+fan) - seems to have good reviews, and people say it's whisper quiet
(c) side Q- how large does a hole need to be to allow Low Frequency to escape - I ask b/c in the front space mentioned (between desk and adj wall) - I currently have two 2"x4" openings (for cabling) which I have not (yet?) put putty backing - and nevertheless I don't notice any LFE rumblings upstairs.
THANKS! any help is appreciated (and hopefully Q's (b) and (c) will help others with the same Q's)
Cgott42, which fan did you finally get. I am also at a point where I am about to add the fan, but in the same situation that were in. The reviews of the one you have the link to are nice and was wondering how did that work for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 157 Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsreader1 View Post
Cgott42, which fan did you finally get. I am also at a point where I am about to add the fan, but in the same situation that were in. The reviews of the one you have the link to are nice and was wondering how did that work for you.

I ended up getting this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00
I found it used for about $135
also I liked the idea of having a control knob to turn up /down, plus being 8"
and I keep it running 24/7 on the lowest setting and am happy with it. It's in a dead vent enclosure so I can barely hear it unless I turn it up high.
The one downside- being the bigger size (8") and the bigger ducts needed make the dead vent larger, and just barely fit in the spot that I had.
I ended up getting 2 (though paid more for the 2nd one) - one for intake, one to pull air out.
post #153 of 157 Old 10-20-2015, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by mcascio

1) Can a dead vent that moves air to an adjoiningg room replace a return or is a return recommended in addition to a dead vent?

Well the room itself requires air in and out. If both are simple exchanging air with the rest of the basement, that's fine. Or both can be directly connected to the main HVAC. I would not suggest splitting them so that the supply to the room is from the HVAC system, while the return is simply to a nearby room. This can throw the air handling calculations off.
I know I'm probably bumping a really old thread, but I've been reading threads to learn about this stuff while not starting my own and had some questions about this.
Does this mean that you do not have a supply into your HT from your furnace/AC at all? Just air circulation in and out? I was looking at having the supply line feed the room as normal, with a dead vent removing the air. I was also thinking of adding a soffit into the room as well to cover any more supply I may need. I have a supply line I need to box off going in the space I'm putting the HT and is has a vent right now. Should I stop that entirely and have nothing feed in, and just run a soffit supply? Will both work fine in this scenario?
post #154 of 157 Old 10-26-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully19 View Post
I know I'm probably bumping a really old thread, but I've been reading threads to learn about this stuff while not starting my own and had some questions about this.
Does this mean that you do not have a supply into your HT from your furnace/AC at all? Just air circulation in and out? I was looking at having the supply line feed the room as normal, with a dead vent removing the air. I was also thinking of adding a soffit into the room as well to cover any more supply I may need. I have a supply line I need to box off going in the space I'm putting the HT and is has a vent right now. Should I stop that entirely and have nothing feed in, and just run a soffit supply? Will both work fine in this scenario?
Hi. I have two supplies into my room from the furnace/AC. Then I have one dead vent with a fan to pull air out of the room into an adjoining room. It's worked out fantastic. I can really heat or cool the room with my zoned system in no time at all.
post #155 of 157 Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post
Hi. I have two supplies into my room from the furnace/AC. Then I have one dead vent with a fan to pull air out of the room into an adjoining room. It's worked out fantastic. I can really heat or cool the room with my zoned system in no time at all.
So the purpose of a dead vent is to move air from one room in the basement either into, or out of the theater? I assume this is so the sound in the theater doesn't end up flying around the house in the duct work. With that said, do you want any interaction between the theater with the HVAC system or is it just the return you have to worry about carrying the noise?

I have to admit, this soundproofing stuff is getting overwhelming to the point of becoming aggravating.
post #156 of 157 Old 11-05-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
So the purpose of a dead vent is to move air from one room in the basement either into, or out of the theater? I assume this is so the sound in the theater doesn't end up flying around the house in the duct work. With that said, do you want any interaction between the theater with the HVAC system or is it just the return you have to worry about carrying the noise?

I have to admit, this soundproofing stuff is getting overwhelming to the point of becoming aggravating.
That is correct. I didn't want to connect the return to the house return to prevent sound leakage.

You'll still want to be concerned about the supply. I'd recommend browsing my thread on how I handled that. It wasn't a small task but a necessary one:
The Cinemar Home Theater Construction Thread
post #157 of 157 Old 11-13-2015, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sir Ted,

Is there any update on the recommended design/construction of soffit muffler?

Thanks!

Last edited by shutter; 11-13-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page