Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Ben! With his help we barely were able to get the THT down to the basement....even after taking off a doorknob. My wife wants me to put trim around that door too. I might have to get the THT out the basement window if we ever move.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had 20 minutes last night to run the THT while listening for rattles. The old windows were vibrating up a storm, but there was little else that I could tell. It is difficult bc the bass was so ridiculously loud. I have to secure the foam on the walls a bit better just in case, but I think once they are behind the walls they will vibrate less anyway. They don't really make any noise. None of the plumbing or wiring rattled. I have a ton of junk in the basement, but even that didn't seem to rattle enough to bother me. The windows were 99% of the noise in the room.

I went up two floors to where my wife was on the current PC/HT/PJ. I asked her if she heard anything. Ha ha... She said things were rattling everywhere, including the PJ. TWO FLOORS UP! I guess that is why the sound isolation will be great. The baby room is right next to the current HT room. Apparently something even was vibrated off the dresser in the baby room.

So my current plan of attack is attach the foam better and retest for rattles while somehow preventing the windows from rattling. I have a couple other small odds and ends to do along with picking up some hat channel....then framing!

Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

Back to building!....pizzas!
It was almost burnt, but still tasty.

YUMMY! You've inspired me to look into building a wood fired pizza oven on my backporch again. Its a closed in porch with a chimney...obviously used to have some sort of heat source out there, probably wood burning stove that no longer exists.

I just found out that my sister has a pizza stone that someone gave her from an old pizzeria. its close to 3'X3'...so....if i can find some fire bricks for cheap and a good design....

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Side note here. If you proceed with this construction, I would be absolutely interested in building one as well. So any plans or tips would be appreciated. I think this is fascinating, as cooking is a big hobby of mine.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
Old 11-11-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Side note here. If you proceed with this construction, I would be absolutely interested in building one as well. So any plans or tips would be appreciated. I think this is fascinating, as cooking is a big hobby of mine.

I'll definitely keep you posted as i come up with stuff. Right now im totally in the dark, so its possible something like that is out of my reach...but from what I've seen it seems fairly simple...but you never know till you get into the details....just like soundproofing

I love to cook too! I haven't had much of an opportunity to cook much recently, with my wife being on maternity leave and me still working on the house most of my meals are taken care of for me. (not a bad thing at all ) But im looking forward to cooking some more again once things get settle down. When i was designing my kitchen I had big plans for all sorts of fun stuff. Luckily my wife keeps me grounded...otherwise I would have spent $$$$ that we just didnt have.

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 11-11-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I have intentions to build a modular wood based system outside with Natural Gas access. Smoker, direct flame steak grill (700F+ temps) and this stone oven would be a natural. A single firebox could route smoke to any of these units.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Ted

Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

YUMMY! You've inspired me to look into building a wood fired pizza oven on my backporch again. Its a closed in porch with a chimney...obviously used to have some sort of heat source out there, probably wood burning stove that no longer exists.

I just found out that my sister has a pizza stone that someone gave her from an old pizzeria. its close to 3'X3'...so....if i can find some fire bricks for cheap and a good design....

I feel like I have to step in here. I think I might have created a monster!

Don't do it!! Ok, you can look into it, but try the fire bricks in the oven. For the 10? times you do it a year, it doesn't justify a wood fired pizza oven. If you find you are making pizza once a week, then it might make sense. I know it's cool, but it's not extremely practical. I mean, you can get a pizza cooked and delivered for $15 or so. In any case, it is not going to get used every day like a HT. If you had nothing going on and a bit of extra change, then it could be a fun diversion....but I know for a fact that you have stuff going on.

I hope I didn't sound too much like a parental unit.

Look on the pizzamaking.com website. There are brick oven build threads. From what I can tell, it is (quite a) bit bigger than a weekend project depending on what you do.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had 20 minutes last night to run the THT while listening for rattles. The old windows were vibrating up a storm, but there was little else that I could tell. It is difficult bc the bass was so ridiculously loud. I have to secure the foam on the walls a bit better just in case, but I think once they are behind the walls they will vibrate less anyway. They don't really make any noise. None of the plumbing or wiring rattled. I have a ton of junk in the basement, but even that didn't seem to rattle enough to bother me. The windows were 99% of the noise in the room.

I went up two floors to where my wife was on the current PC/HT/PJ. I asked her if she heard anything. Ha ha... She said things were rattling everywhere, including the PJ. TWO FLOORS UP! I guess that is why the sound isolation will be great. The baby room is right next to the current HT room. Apparently something even was vibrated off the dresser in the baby room.

So my current plan of attack is attach the foam better and retest for rattles while somehow preventing the windows from rattling. I have a couple other small odds and ends to do along with picking up some hat channel....then framing!

For proper expectations, please keep in mind that the ultra-low frequencies will still get into your framing. This is simply a function of the resonance point of your walls and ceiling. If the walls have a resonance point of 40Hz, sound from 60Hz on down will get progressively transmitted out of the theater better. This is why we layer as much mass as we can on the walls and ceiling. It's the most direct means to lower that resonance point even lower.

If we add a third sheet of drywall, for example, we can drop that resonance point quite a bit. So instead of 40Hz, you might have 30Hz, which gives you better low frequency isolation from 45Hz on up. The 30Hz and 40Hz figures are examples only.

Ted

Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I feel like I have to step in here. I think I might have created a monster!

Don't do it!! Ok, you can look into it, but try the fire bricks in the oven. For the 10? times you do it a year, it doesn't justify a wood fired pizza oven. If you find you are making pizza once a week, then it might make sense. I know it's cool, but it's not extremely practical. I mean, you can get a pizza cooked and delivered for $15 or so. In any case, it is not going to get used every day like a HT. If you had nothing going on and a bit of extra change, then it could be a fun diversion....but I know for a fact that you have stuff going on.

I hope I didn't sound too much like a parental unit.

Look on the pizzamaking.com website. There are brick oven build threads. From what I can tell, it is (quite a) bit bigger than a weekend project depending on what you do.

Haha understood! The project is more of a "for fun" thing that a practical way making pizza, for me at least. Its just as much about the allure of building the oven and then saying, check it...ive got a wood fired pizza oven than it is about actually cooking pizzas. That maybe silly to others i guess, but I've got the porch and honestly, its really not going to be good for much of anything else because its almost all windows, therefore, impossible to heat cheaply...so why not do something like that out there, since the chimney is already there.

My only other two idea were
A: a simple wood burning stove just for those cold winters days you wanted to feel like you were outside but still stay cozy and warm

B: Use the chimney to hook up a large range vent and install an awesome flatop griddle out there. (that would be soo awsome too!)

BTW the porch im talking about is directly off the kitchen, hence all the using it for cooking ideas.

Actually it would be great to put a pizza oven out there and a small gas burner where i could do all my deep frying out there to keep the grease out of the kitchen....hmmmmmmmm

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm about in the same boat. I have a 40 x 16 deck just off the kitchen with a 1" Natural Gas line begging for these things...

Ted

Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I'm installing next year a nice big patio in the house I bought a couple years ago, and I've got big plans for an outdoor kitchen. I was toying with the idea of a pizza oven, but it took up too much space for my liking.

I checked out the homebuilt plans, and even prefeab units from here and here

I am pretty happy with the way they come out on the grill, so I'm just going to get a big (36") built-in unit.

This is my rough plan

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
Old 11-11-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ted: Thanks for that extra bit of info. I had read a couple of times from those doing DD/GG that some of the lows still escape the room, so I didn't think it would be 100% soundproofed. I also read that these very low freq leaks were much more tolerable to others. I think 2 layers of drywall will be my limit. I will be happy with what I get. I think that just sealing off the room will give a lot of benefit, then the decoupling/damping/increased mass will be the icing on the cake.

I have a few things on my list, but unfortunately I can't cross any of them off my list because I get 90% done with one and I hit a snag or need a HD run. Anyone else really hate water in a line that you need to solder? One bad solder joint after turning on the water can really put me in a bad mood!

I just keep thinking that I will likely be framing tomorrow.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Beemer, looks good. You need to post a pic of a pizza you made on the grill.

The only thing I don't like about cooking the pizza in the oven inside is that I don't have an adequate venting.

A smoker as Ted wants to do sounds great too. I could get into that.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

BTW AM, that pizza looked delicious!

Any way you could fedex one to Tel Aviv? I'll take ham and extra pineapple

Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll make the pizza if you pay for the shipping.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

AM you're going to need to post some pics of the theater soon...your thread is getting all pizza-ey....I almost forgot you were building a one....

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 11-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

I'd think about it if I was sure the pizza would make it out of customs....

Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

AM you're going to need to post some pics of the theater soon...your thread is getting all pizza-ey....I almost forgot you were building a one....

Well, we haven't swapped recipies yet, so I don't think we are too far off track... maybe just a detour

Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, one more here: http://www.eventghost.org/forum/view...php?f=2&t=1995

I'll refrain from adding anymore until I decide on one. ...that is unless someone asks a question or comments. I have a lot of construction work ahead of me and I don't want to get bogged down on remotes!

This one looks interesting and fairly powerful. Free is always good as well! The only issue I see is that you are limited to only 1 each portrait and landscape page.... For me at least, that would not be enough. It sounds like to get beyond that would be expensive. I didn't finish the thread, so maybe things have changed by now.

The other thing is that I don't mind playing around with the web pages, but to me anyways something like Irule just seems easier; drag and drop icons, commands, links etc.

In any case, I guess we should focus on sheetrock, not remotes at this point

Old 11-11-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll start posting pics when I get some framing done. I did a bunch of little things today, but need to get the foam stuck better to the wall. I have a system, but just haven't followed through yet.

I'm leaning towards http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/touch...360139270?mt=8 for the remote. It's only $5 plus $2 for the EventGhost plugin. I can pretty much do anything with that combo and the interface looks pretty good. I haven't had time to mess with the iPod though....

Old 11-12-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That Touch IR+ looks pretty awesome. You can download free the "server" part of the program which is just the software that resides on your PC. Then download EventGhost for free. You can read the tutorial for both to set them up. Now, if you want your remote to be able to trigger IR, you need to get the hardware I posted previously and download that free IR software. In any case, I should be able to do anything I want with the Ipod remote, including controlling the lights, AVR, PJ *and* PC.

Touch IR has multiple screens on the Ipod, allows special commands such as swipes, and is fully customizable with backgrounds and buttons for $7!

I'm rearranging/cleaning/organizing right now. I do not love it. I will be framing today unless something weird happens.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Heres hoping nothing "weird" happens!

Shades of Grey Theater

Old 11-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

That touch IR seems pretty cool. I may give it a try when I get home.

Good luck with the cleaning/rearranging...not usually very much fun.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Almost there.... I picked up a load of lumber that should be enough for the HT. I also bought some hat channel. Now I need to go make a run to HD for more expanding foam and other stuff. My framing today may consist of one 2x4! It depends on whether I go out tonight or stay in and work. Decisions, decisions....

Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Um....still not framing. Ben is coming over in a couple of hours so I can show him some basic framing. I hope I can get started by then.

Knowing that I will soon not have access to everything has caused me to be very careful. I decided to insulate the rim joists even though they are filled with concrete. I figure it is now or never. I'm all done with the foam on the walls, and need to put some covers on my electrical boxes and look for more things that will rattle.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Sometimes things don't quite work out like we expect..... Especially DIY....

For me at least, framing is kind of fun once you get into it. Especially since you can actually see results as you go.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

dbldare: do you have dd/gg on your walls? Are the rattles from things in the room or behind the walls?

Sorry for the delay on the reply.

I'm still in the framing stage of my basement. Life keeps getting in the way. I've been running my THT and my Polk SRT subs recently and my HVAC lets me know when it's not happy. The plan is GG when the time comes. Haven't done too much to the HVAC as of yet, because I plan on moving and redirecting some of it.

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been framing for maybe 90 minutes so far.

I only have two sections done, but it sure is nice to see the beginnings of walls. 15 out of 70 or so feet of the circumference done....although I have to do some leveling/squaring/tapcon-ing/DC-04-ing.

Beemer: Definitely Fun! I feel like I'm on the home stretch, although I'm probably at the half way point of my project...?

dbldare: Ok, got it. I think I have most of the rattles taken care of.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All the tapcons and DC-04s are in on those two sections. I think I have a system now. You really need a compressor for the Tapcons. Otherwise they just won't go in all the way. A vacuum doesn't work. At least that is my experience. Too bad blowing out the concrete dust makes a hell of a lot of dust.

My first two sections of wall framed!

Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
This is why we layer as much mass as we can on the walls and ceiling. It's the most direct means to lower that resonance point even lower.
Ted,

Is there any material other than drywall that is a lot heavier/better - regardless of cost (dont take that too literally)?

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"