Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house? - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1242 Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am amazed that simple threaded rod would be able to hold up a full grown man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1242 Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Here is an idea that I'll throw out to the masses. I'm building a tank for an engineering class in school and using a power wheels motor (think kid's ride-on Barbie jeep) to power it. It's got a small motor and a transmission with a series of gears (I think the final ratio is 16:1) that makes the final rpm coming out of it 100. It's got an incredible amount of torque and I believe would have no trouble lifting the chair. I'll admit that it's not the quietest thing in the world. It looks like the one here:

http://www.mendingshed.com/powwheelmotg.html

I'm not sure on the price but it might be an option to consider.

The one that I am using runs on 12 volts.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #1083 of 1242 Old 03-07-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

I am amazed that simple threaded rod would be able to hold up a full grown man.

Yeah, it has no problem. It is a 5/8" rod. I haven't cut it down to length yet either. You could stand on it and it would flex a bit, but be fine. Axially it can take a tremendous load. You'll have a fair amount of friction, but with a drill powering it, it is no problem at all.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #1084 of 1242 Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

Here is an idea that I'll throw out to the masses. I'm building a tank for an engineering class in school and using a power wheels motor (think kid's ride-on Barbie jeep) to power it. It's got a small motor and a transmission with a series of gears (I think the final ratio is 16:1) that makes the final rpm coming out of it 100. It's got an incredible amount of torque and I believe would have no trouble lifting the chair. I'll admit that it's not the quietest thing in the world. It looks like the one here:

http://www.mendingshed.com/powwheelmotg.html

I'm not sure on the price but it might be an option to consider.

The one that I am using runs on 12 volts.

That would be an option if I could source the motors/gearbox for a decent price. I can get rechargeable drills (without batteries) for $15 each shipped on eBay. They run at 700 RPM with loads of torque at 9.6V. The problem is that they are a bit noisy -- they sound like a drill, go figure? Also, they have a chuck so I can mate the shaft of the threaded rod easily and they already have bearings to support an axial load making for easy mounting. Also, if one breaks it would be easy and cheap to replace. I just have to see if putting them in a plywood box with a bunch of fiberglass will make them quiet enough.

post #1085 of 1242 Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, I made a box out of 3/4" ply to put around the drill. I laid the drill on some foam and then placed the box under the chair with some small cushions. The volume was reduced to a level I thought was acceptable. I didn't seal the box. The chair doesn't have a front or back and of course there is no cushioning. I think between all of that it should make the volume much less. I'll start ordering supplies for the chairs now. I'll finalize the prototype dimensions before ordering cushions and pleather.

post #1086 of 1242 Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I would say that with the box, foam and cushions that would reduce the noise to an acceptable level. You could always build your box with two layers of OSB and green glue that should quiet it down.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1087 of 1242 Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think almost all of the noise is high frequency. I don't think GG or mass is as necessary. Decoupling will be more problematic as they need to be connected to the chair through the threaded rod and the drill mount (and then the sound-reduction box mount). Also, I need to keep things as air tight as possible. These drills won't get much cooling, but they are only on for about 10 seconds at a time and at a reduced voltage.

post #1088 of 1242 Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Andreas, your PM is full.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #1089 of 1242 Old 03-08-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I would agree with you that cooling would not be an issue with the type of use they would be seeing.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #1090 of 1242 Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

I would agree with you that cooling would not be an issue with the type of use they would be seeing.

Regards,

RTROSE

Having done my fair share of construction work and using a drill almost nonstop over a 10 hour period in 35c summer heat and it not giving up the ghost I wouldn't be too worried. Though I was using my very nice dewalt.

I wouldn't think you would ever encounter heat related issues.

Another option is a linear actuator. But they are far more expensive.

Lovin the progress otherwise.

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #1091 of 1242 Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Vai_rules View Post

Another option is a linear actuator. But they are far more expensive.

Yeah, that is basically what I linked to a few posts back. Those were pretty reasonable at $25 a pop....but all the others I found were $100+.

post #1092 of 1242 Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm a bit disappointed. I had compared my white spandex with the Center Stage XD screen material previously and thought they were pretty similar in look with maybe slightly less gain in the spandex but butter smooth. I put up the spandex on half my screen to compare. Really, with content they look pretty similar, but the XD has more vivid colors while the spandex looks a little dull in comparison. I think it would be a step sideways in PQ. I just ordered some fabric samples to try in "shiny spandex". I hope one works well!

In other news, my poplar door threshold warped so I need to come up with another option. It was glued directly on the dryloked concrete floor. I should have known that wasn't going to work. I'm thinking maybe black marble or other stone.

I have the weekend free! I hope I'm productive.

post #1093 of 1242 Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I did a lot of work this weekend. At the end of it, I wasn't so sure I got a lot accomplished. Looking back, I think I made good headway.

I made 6 frames for the walls with another 2 that I made a while ago as tests. I ripped 2.5 sheets of plywood (Lowes was out so I'll need to pick up more this weekend). I drilled, cut and modified french cleats for probably all of the frames in the room. I cut and installed a black marble door threshold. I finalized my seat dimensions and ordered "leather" and foam.

Yesterday I stapled spandex to 3 of the frames and hung them on the wall. They look pretty good! The white ones' fabric is pretty sheer so I decided I would either paint their frames white or add another layer of white spandex. Unfortunately, adding another layer allows less light to come through with the RGB LEDs. I did notice that when I put a layer of spandex on the back of those frames that the LEDs were brighter. So, looks like I'll put something white (spandex or white poster board?) on the backs of the white frames.

I received the "leather" in the mail today. This is it: http://www.fabricdirect.com/acatalog...oll-Black.html

If you haven't felt the polyurethane "leathers", they are quite close to leather in appearance and feel. They are also very durable and soft. They are also around 1/10 the cost and you don't have to deal with the variety of hides. I guess I'll know better when I get a chair together!

I promise to have pictures of the wall when I get a few more panels up!

post #1094 of 1242 Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The in-laws stayed over this weekend and I really didn't get anything done except for picking up more ply.

I received my switches for the recliners and they are nice for $5. They're just large rocker switches, but it is surprisingly hard to find them for less than $15-20. Also, I will be receiving my foam for my test/first chair tomorrow. I am curious how it will feel to sit on it.

We did a pizza extravaganza for our small group at lunch.

Breakfast pizza (bacon, potato, egg, cheese)

Shrimp Mozambique pizza (My wife's fav since she is Portuguese)

French onion pizza (carmelized onions, bacon, cheese). My wife's idea.

Mexican pizza (sour cream, cheese, refried beans, salsa, taco seasoned beef). Mangled half not shown.

All of these pizzas were GREAT and so different from the more simple pizzas I usually make. Yum!

post #1095 of 1242 Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Man,

Those pizza's sure look tasty. I love pizza, but get tired of the same ol same ol. I love (shudders before speaking) the breakfast pizza the gas station just down the road from us, but from the looks of it I'd like yours better. The Mexican pizza looks good to, well I guess it all looks good really not a shabby pizza in the bunch!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1096 of 1242 Old 03-19-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I always say that even bad pizza is good. Pizza is pretty much the perfect food. If you think of bad pizza as a "different style" usually you can appreciate it for what it is.

That Mexican pizza had about 3 times too much stuff on it for the thin crust and therefore 1/3 of the pizza was pretty much ruined when it hit the 600 degree stone.

I received the foam for the chair today. I think they have about the perfect firmness, but I'll sit on it for the next few days (not continuously) to see if my opinion changes. I also received the cup holders that Jelloslug advised me to get.

post #1097 of 1242 Old 03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well when it come to making pizza I'm not an expert, but when it comes to eating it that is where my expertise comes in. I have learned through my eating experience that thin and ultra thin crust pizza really is best at letting 3 or fewer topping really come to life. More than three then you have to up the crust ante a little bit JMHO.

There is a pizzeria around here that does a pan style Sicilian that I really enjoy but Mrs. RTROSE is not a fan so I very rarely get to partake in it. The plus side is my oldest works at another family owned pizzeria so I do get the occasional free Grinder (Stromboli) and orphaned pizza! With that I'm never sure what I'm gonna get, but hey it's free right?

On the foam, I would much rather it be a little stiff and "break in" than be perfect to begin with and then not hold muster after a few extended viewing sessions.

Oh, and you know that you are tied into your AVS buddies when you are walking down the isle at you're local big box store see a couple of clearance cordless drills and think "Hey that would work for AM's recliners" LOL.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1098 of 1242 Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, you are right that less is more for toppings when dealing with thin crusts. I still can't help but overload the pizzas once in a while! I finally have my dough where it "window panes" (gets so thin you can see through it). Mind you, you don't make the dough quite so thin, but it will get that thin without breaking if you make it right (for Neapolitan dough).

I know this is not really a food forum, but I also have been making my own carbonated soda for a while now. Recently I have made cinnamon/vanilla, chocolate/PB, and unsweetened orange zest. My favorite is still vanilla/molasses. It is very similar to cream soda with a touch of molasses flavor. It is so good.

RT, I have heard that most prefer a little stiffer cushion. I guess that is why I bought the 2.4 pcf, 40 lb foam which was referred to as the "ultimate" seat foam. It is a bit stiff. I'm not sure if I want a bit softer. I have 30 lb foam for the seat back and that seems fine, although I could also go softer there maybe. I may try the 30 lb foam under my rear in a couple of days to see which I prefer.

...and thanks for thinking of me when looking at power tools! I *just* ordered my drills an hour ago. I'm hoping they are quieter then the one I have here, but am not holding my breath.

post #1099 of 1242 Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotta love pizza pron

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #1100 of 1242 Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will have more pizza pron, don't worry!

Question: Is making an ice cream machine considered HT related?

Second Question: Is making an ice cream machine going to infuriate those looking for more progress on a rotary sub?

post #1101 of 1242 Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Not if the Ice Cream makers motor is also the rotary's driver motor and it is a dual purpose machine!

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1102 of 1242 Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm not so sure I could swing that. I was thinking of powering the ice cream machine with.......a drill. (I'm so original.)

I did receive the 4 drills today for the recliners. They are quite a bit quieter than the one I have. That is a nice surprise. I still need to get them a bit quieter, but that shouldn't be as difficult. They also come apart easier with just the motor, gear box and chuck leaving a smaller power unit to mount.

I also realized after getting my foam that adding 6" of firm foam on top of my chair frame made my seat a bit higher than I planned. I'll have to do something about that which will affect my noise reduction of the drills.

post #1103 of 1242 Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Nice surprise on those drills! What voltage do they run at (12.0, 14.4, 18.0 or...)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1104 of 1242 Old 03-22-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

9.6V They were only $16 shipped each. I was trying to run them at 5V so I could reduce RPMs/noise (and I thought I had plenty of torque.) Looks like I'll be running them a bit hotter than that. It's too bad because I had a nice 5V 32A power supply I was going to use.

post #1105 of 1242 Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

5v , 32amps
Indeed nice supply!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #1106 of 1242 Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I got it for less than $10 if I remember correctly. That was a great electronic salvage store.

Anyone know anything about heat transfer putty or know where to get it? I need it for the ice cream machine. I am using a mini fridge to cool a stainless steel pot. The evaporator/part that gets cool is a thin aluminum plate that I have curved around the pot, but I will need to more efficiently transfer heat/cold to get it to work well. I can get the same stuff that is put on heat sinks at Mcmaster, but I think maybe an adhesive might be better.....but then it might be better if it is flexible/semiflexible. I was also thinking of immersing the evaporator and SS pot in a bath of fluid like ethanol that won't freeze. I'm not sure if that will transfer heat as well as a heat transfer compound, but it may allow for more even cooling since the evaporator only covers 70% of the pot surface area and not the bottom.

(Slightly off topic....unless I eat the ice cream in the theater. )

post #1107 of 1242 Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's so warm out that pizza in my LBE is getting more common. I finally got the pizza dough right where I can throw it without ruining it. Actually, this dough was the best I've ever done and pretty near perfection.

Chili cheese dog pizza!

Perfect pepperoni with fresh oregano

I also made a pizza with hot Portuguese peppers in the sauce, muffaletta, and sweet onion. I ate it before I could take a pic of it!

If anyone has ideas about the heat transfer stuff, I'll make you a pizza. Delivery not included. Ha!

post #1108 of 1242 Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mmmmmm.......BBQ chicken chunks, (with a BBQ sauce instead of tomato pizza sauce), bacon, banana peppers, and a hot pepper cheese. The only thing about pepper jack cheese is that is does not melt very well.

The chili cheese dog pizza looks great, I love chili cheese dogs anyway.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #1109 of 1242 Old 03-22-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Mmmmmm.......BBQ chicken chunks, (with a BBQ sauce instead of tomato pizza sauce), bacon, banana peppers, and a hot pepper cheese. The only thing about pepper jack cheese is that is does not melt very well.

The chili cheese dog pizza looks great, I love chili cheese dogs anyway.

Regards,

RTROSE

RT, that pizza sounds good. I like spicy food. I always tell the Indian/Thai places that I "want to cry".

The chili cheese dog pizza had the chili as the pizza sauce. That one was my wife's idea. She likes "junk food".

I have ingredients to make another Mexican pizza. I really like those a LOT.

post #1110 of 1242 Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

One each please ??
Damn these photos have made me very hungry (and it's only 10AM)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page