Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1242 Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Def turn off the main when working with the old stuff...at least until you are sure what you are working on is totally dead. I still had some knob and tube stuff in my house and nothing made sense, so many times it was tied in somewhere that made NO sense what so ever. I ripped out every last shred of electrical back to the breaker box and put all new in.

For my lighting a lot of times i just used garage sale floor lamps and some i had left over that my college roommates left me with. Just ran extension cords from where i did have power. I had 3 or 4 different lamps that i used all throughout the construction and they were pretty much trashed when i was done with them so i pitched'em...i still think someone picked them up off the street, lol. I also used old light fixtures without the covers, in different places. If you are going to have the main breaker off for a lot of it, maybe you could rent a generator for the weekend...just until you could hook up some temporary lighting, They sell what basically is a light bulb socket that you could hook lights up to in on an otherwise empty breaker spot if youve got one, and just tack up some 14 awg wire and put a light in each room.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1242 Old 07-21-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thanks for all the ideas. Yeah, the old wiring has a couple breakers going into one box and then about 6 lines going out of the box. Who knows if they are joined to other circuits somewhere else in the house. I will be turning off the main breaker for those and removing everything from the box to the breaker. Then I will be putting in new stuff to the box. I can do everything stepwise one breaker at a time, but with the main off. I'll use a battery powered headlamp during the day when I have the main off.

I have about 6 hanging lamps on old wiring that are joined in with other whole house circuits. I want to remove the lamps so I can just go directly from the panel to the house circuits. When I remove the lamps I will be using old plug in lamps as you suggest. Maybe I can cruise the neighborhood on Thursday evening to see if anyone is throwing them out. If not, I'm sure Harbor Freight has some cheap shop lights.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #93 of 1242 Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's another pic of the wife's attic space. I don't want the thread to just be text.

post #94 of 1242 Old 07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If your wife has a space like that, and you build your space will you and your wife ever see each other. If you don't ever see one another is that really a bad thing?

I used to be into R/C planes and cars as a youth, but have not flown R/C for several years. R/C is a rewarding (if at times a frustrating) hobby as well. Your full time job building the slope soar(ers) gliders is also very interesting as well as the rotary sub.

Looking forward to more pics and updates. Good luck in both adventures.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #95 of 1242 Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

If your wife has a space like that, and you build your space will you and your wife ever see each other. If you don't ever see one another is that really a bad thing?

I used to be into R/C planes and cars as a youth, but have not flown R/C for several years. R/C is a rewarding (if at times a frustrating) hobby as well. Your full time job building the slope soar(ers) gliders is also very interesting as well as the rotary sub.

Looking forward to more pics and updates. Good luck in both adventures.

Regards,

RTROSE

We have joked about not seeing each other after the HT is done. I do like my wife, so I'm not trying to get away from her (most times). I was thinking either some kind of intercom or even Yahoo Messenger would be a good way to communicate over 3/4 floors. I have my cell phone on me pretty much all the time, but she never knows where hers is, so that may not work.

I don't sell slope planes anymore. I decided I wanted to work on the house instead. I think that was an excellent decision. ...and yes, they are frustrating, especially at first. Now I am a computer programmer, but I used to be a pharmacist too.

Like I said, my wife is pretty awesome. Here's a pic of her in front of our artcar. Don't you agree?

post #96 of 1242 Old 07-21-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Your wife does seem to be a keeper for sure. That is a very interesting auto for sure. Just curious, is that a dealer installed option or aftermarket? LOL.

Household communication is always a concern, intercoms are so 80's I would stick with yahoo or say text, but as you say that will only work if she has her cell on her all the time. You could always buy a bull horn, but that has protest and riot police written all over it, so that may not be the best option, but at least she could not say she did not hear you. Well come to think about it if your room is completely isolated then that won't work either.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #97 of 1242 Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

I have my cell phone on me pretty much all the time, but she never knows where hers is, so that may not work.

Ditto...I thought women were supposed to be on the phone all time? (thats what sitcom TV taught me ) I guess you and I got weird ones huh?

That being said wouldnt trade mine for anything.

You should just get CB radios and stick'em all over the house...then when your bored, you could always bug any nearby truck drivers....

Shades of Grey Theater

post #98 of 1242 Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, that was the special Vehigloo option for Corollas offered only 1991. We are giving it to someone else in the next few days, actually. It is very fun to drive around in.

My wife could always come down to the basement to talk to me, but I can imagine that what she wants to tell me is something like: "bring me up a drink and a snack." I bet she will just wait until I'm done and I come up to the second floor before she tells me that. Then I can go down again, then up. Oh man, that will be so much fun! Ha ha ha!

So, I spent just about $666 on plumbing for the heating system. That was more than I thought, but the dielectric couplers to convert from threaded galvanized pipe to copper were $35/50 each and I needed 4/2 of them. Actually, they only charged me for 2/2 of them for some reason! $250 of 1.25" copper pipe also. It is much cheaper than having someone else do it and I gain a bunch of height, so it is worth it.

The dielectric couplers are so that the zinc in the galvanized pipe and the copper don't contact each other (rubber gasket) to form a battery and oxidize very quickly.

My phone needs to be replaced and I have a couple of honey-dos for today so I'll see how much else I get done.

post #99 of 1242 Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I think I got a bunch done. I did some soldering of 1.25" copper fittings to the dielectric unions for the heating system. I then wrenched the unions onto the galvanized pipe. I am now ready to solder on all the copper. I probably would have finished that except I kept debating (in my head) exactly how to do it.

So I decided I would prep for a new beam going in. There is a lot of electrical (and plumbing) hanging on the existing beam and next to it. I removed/replaced maybe 8 circuit of old BX wiring. It has the metal casing and the cloth/wax wiring inside for those that have no experience with it. The ground is through the casing.

I have a whole pile of the BX cabling now. I also have new dedicated circuits for the window AC units on the first floor.

I have a light switch at the top of the basement stairs that I'll be converting to a 3 way switch so I can switch on/off from outside the HT. It will control the stairs lighting and the small HT anteroom/lobby lighting. I'll need to pull some 3 conductor wire for that.

My wife has a friend staying over this weekend from out of town. That should occupy her enough so that I can work in the basement. I'll keep chugging along....

post #100 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't get much more done. I made a couple more circuits and did some "recon" behind the kitchen appliances. I think I will get more done long term if I give myself some time to recharge. It's only been a month since I started my project. I'm on a good pace so far.

I demoed the THT to my wife's friend. She just sat there in amazement. Half way through the WotW's pod emerging scene, I paused it. She said she felt like she was having a panic attack. I felt it too. Those LFEs really do a number on your body!

post #101 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't get much more done. I made a couple more circuits and did some "recon" behind the kitchen appliances. I think I will get more done long term if I give myself some time to recharge. It's only been a month since I started my project. I'm on a good pace so far.

I demoed the THT to my wife's friend. She just sat there in amazement. Half way through the WotW's pod emerging scene, I paused it. She said she felt like she was having a panic attack. I felt it too. Those LFEs really do a number on your body!

/jealous

what kind of sub do you have again?

Shades of Grey Theater

post #102 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I built a THT. You can look for reviews/build threads on the DIY speaker forum. Plans bought here: http://billfitzmaurice.net/THT.html

Bottom line on the THT: $155 for driver, $70 for wood + $150? for 200 watt amp will get you an enormous amount of low bass (15 hz and above). It is also large at 3 x 3 x 2 FEET. I have never heard anything like it, but I am not an audio expert, etc. I know it is about 50 times more impressive than any regular movie theater I have gone to. There are more impressive systems, for sure, but for $225 (I already had an amp), I don't need any more bass. I would never be able to stand it fully on for a whole movie.

post #103 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I built a THT. You can look for reviews/build threads on the DIY speaker forum. Plans bought here: http://billfitzmaurice.net/THT.html

Bottom line on the THT: $155 for driver, $70 for wood + $150? for 200 watt amp will get you an enormous amount of low bass (15 hz and above). It is also large at 3 x 3 x 2 FEET. I have never heard anything like it, but I am not an audio expert, etc. I know it is about 50 times more impressive than any regular movie theater I have gone to. There are more impressive systems, for sure, but for $225 (I already had an amp), I don't need any more bass. I would never be able to stand it fully on for a whole movie.

BAH! i wish you didnt live so far away i would like to hear that thing. For 500 bucks, that seems right up my ally...especially when you figure i can parcel out the parts as i could afford them....I've always been after more bass, ever since i was a kid. More recently, im into not just more, but accurate as well. (back in the day it just had to be loud, now Im much more refined...i want loud and accurate.

What driver and amp did you use? Any chance you could post a picture of this beast? Do you have any spl measurements?

Shades of Grey Theater

post #104 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I used the recommended DVC driver. There is really only one that will work with it and it is in the plans. It is a no-brainer. I am using a Crown XTI 1000 amp, but it is way overkill. A bunch of people are using 200 watt "BASH" amps. You won't believe what kind of sound you can get with 28V. Oh, and it is super clean. The folded horns have great SQ.

Here's a pic of it partially done. Note the coffee cup for size!

I haven't done any SPL measurements, but am going to at least run REW on it someday after I get a receiver. All I know is it gets uncomfortably loud. I can rattle windows and lights on the floor below. It is extremely impressive for the cost. Try one and if it is not enough, build another one! The thing is that those who have two admit they barely push them because they are too much.

If you are even considering it, stop wasting time and just make one. I highly recommend it. You could easily sell it for cost of your parts after a demo. It took me a total of 6-8 hours to build over a few days, but I'm a quick builder.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

post #105 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Awsome. I just started a thread HERE. Their website mentioned that you could load the cabinet with a 12" driver as well. So now im curious, if i could convert my Adire Audio Rava sub to a THT sub, for almost no cost. (just lumber and time) In fact, i probably have enough lumber sitting around the build the dumb thing.

Even if the 12" wasn't ideal for the enclosure, for now id just like to get more low end extension for HT use. And if it worked out well, i could always build a second one (when finances allow) with the recommended 15" driver for that extra..HOLY SH*T factor....I wonder if i should contact someone at bill fitzmaurice loudspeaker design and see what they have to say.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #106 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Good luck with your basement project, dude. Can't wait to see the completed theater.

Also, that THT looks amazing (inexpensive, too. bonus!), but I dunno if I could stand to have something that big in my room. It'd be way overkill for my little energy take satellites anyway

post #107 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Matthew: I would say you couldn't use the driver in the THT, but Bill would answer you over in the BFM forum on his website. You might be better off making your THT and selling your current sub. Doing an 15" wide THT as opposed to a 24" will save you a fair amount of space and some wood costs. It will not save you much if any time though. After 8+ hours of work you may appreciate 50% better performance as opposed to saving a few bucks. I would recommend 24" wide unless you cannot fit that size in your space.

Basically, the horns are very specific on what drivers they use. If Bill knew of a cheaper, better alternative he would have used it. He researches the drivers quite a bit. $155 for a sub driver is actually quite cheap and the 15" is pretty damn big and beefy.

Also, definitely get a decent plywood (specific kinds recommended in the plans). The biggest cost for the THT is labor, so do get the right materials.

Phillip: Thanks! I can't wait either. I just have to keep working on it and before I know it, it will be done. The THT does take up a lot of room, I agree. He has another option with the Table Tuba. It is a bit smaller and cheaper, but only goes down to 30 hz or so. It puts out way more output than your satellites too!

I made the TLAHs (plans also on his site) for mains that keep up with the THT quite well. I only have $25 into each speaker. I have a build thread if you search for it.

post #108 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Its not that i dont think the 15" diver he recommends isnt a good deal, I just spent the last hour and their forums waiting for my account to be activated over there...Its that i already HAVE a decent driver. If i understand the specs at all it should be close to what they already use. Besides Bill couldnt use this driver even if he wanted too, lol they dont make it anymore. Adire audio went out of business a few years back. Although i do think some of their designs live on.

Right now, time and effort, are ALL i have. I have no (very little) money, so if im going to spend something, thats all i've got.

So if the driver is compatible(ill be looking for more than just compatible probably, if its not going to give me a marked improvement, i wont go for it), it might be a fun project to try out. Especially if I've got the materials on hand already. I finally dug up the specs on that driver, so as soon as as my account in activated I'll post them specs and see what they have to say.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #109 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Andreas: I did find your thread, thanks. The speakers look GREAT, and I did check out the website for the plans. They're super cheap. Maybe I'll order them when I have lots of spare time, some tools, and a ton of motivation, since I lack all three

post #110 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is a good plan. With the specs he can tell you whether it will work or not. I'm sure it is a good driver. It's just that a good driver for a direct radiating design is not the same as a good driver for a horn. Different drivers for different jobs!

You might also consider building the 24" wide and then making a mounting plate so you can use the 12" driver on the 15" baffle. It really depends on the specs though....

Sell the Adire first? The guys on the BFM forum might be able to tell you how they compare. I don't know. You (or anyone) would be welcome to come hear mine.

post #111 of 1242 Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Phillip! The plans are cheap, but still not free. They are a good deal and you will end up with something that sounds really nice and has great output. He is musician also so he tends to go towards "pro" gear -- for bands/clubs, etc. So, the output is usually quite good on his cabs. They are also geared towards value with very good performance per $. If you want the ultimate SQ, you can go another route, but it will cost you several times the price. It all depends on what you want!

My thread is here for those interested.

My mains: They aren't clamped anymore!

post #112 of 1242 Old 07-27-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Your bass is missing its head....lol. You didnt make that bass guitar too did you? If so, thats swwwweeet! I've always wanted a nice bass guitar and amp, but never had the cash to have that and other guitars.

In fact its really sad, ever since i got out of college and started working I dont play hardly at all anymore....all my guitars sit and woefully collect dust.

So quick question, i've seen a lot of speakers (especially DIY) with LOTS of drivers in them, what is the advantage of having multiple drivers lined up like that? I've always wondered.

Quick update on the THT. To quote Bill "It should work OK in the THT, certainly far better than in a sealed box."

So i think im going to pick up a set of plans and give it a whirl.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #113 of 1242 Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The bass also has an intentionally twisted neck! It makes it a bit easier to fret octaves low on the neck. I made the neck on the CNC, and the rest of it with hand tools. I want to make another one, but haven't really played for a while. I learned/took lessons a few years back for bass, then guitar. I played quite a bit for a couple of years.

The biggest advantage (I think) for the line array style is that you can get a lot of volume for a low price. Each of the woofers were $1.25 and the tweeters were $2. When the drivers are stacked, instead of a half sphere of sound radiating towards you, the spheres get squashed vertically. So instead of the sound spreading out vertically and horizontally like a single driver, the sound spreads out horizontally, but comes out vertically closer to a line. So you get 3db more sensitivity/volume over a single driver each time you double the number of drivers. So, even though one of each driver would not come even close to putting out enough output, 8 drivers will give the equivalent of 8x2^3 or 64 drivers. Is that right? 1 to 2 to 4 to 8 = 3 x 3db = 9 db. 10^(9/10) = 8. 8 x 8 =64. Wow, even I didn't realize that.

If you are far away from the line array for its height, the line array is even better since sound isn't wasted up into the sky and ground. For rooms that don't have ceiling or floor treatment (absorption), it can be a benefit too. My short ceiling height room is a good example.

The disadvantage is comb filtering, which comes into effect if the spacing between the drivers is large relative to the wavelength they are producing. This is because the sound is being generated by two or more different drivers and arriving at your ear at two slightly different times. This causes comb filtering which you can probably research on wikipedia, but I recommend the book, Master Handbook of Acoustics! It discusses that topic and others really well.

Great news on the THT. Looks like you will be able to use your plate amp too, which is a bonus. Are you going to do a build thread? It will be interested to hear what you say about the comparison between what you have now and the THT.

post #114 of 1242 Old 07-27-2010, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, and as far as the comb filtering goes.... If my TLAHs do it, I don't notice! They sound great. They are amazing bang for the buck. Again, there are better speakers out there, I'm know....but not for <$25 a pop!

post #115 of 1242 Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I will most definitely do a build thread once i get it going. My biggest issue is going to be figuring out where to place that giant cabinet, ill have to wait to get the plans to be sure, but i think i can narrow the enclosure for a 12" driver down to 15" which i could probably hide behind a curtain somewhere....or maybe ill just make it into a coffee table.

Im excited to hear/feel the difference as well. The best part is, if i hate it, i can always just put my old sub back together lol. But from what all I've read, it should be pretty impressive.

Those DIY speakers are very impressive. I followed what you said about the line array (mostly) and that makes sense. Its hard to believe a 1.25 driver could sound good at all, but far be it from me to call you a liar, im all about bang for buck!!

To be honest i think my next theater I would like to be totally DIY down to the speakers. (i wont build my own drivers or amps...) Im sure ill do a screen wall with an AT screen and build columns to hide the surrounds, so they dont have to look pretty just sound good. If i build all my own speakers and they sound good, maybe i can sell my old ones and upgrade to pre/pro and seperate amps.

So you seriously built those for less than 25 bucks? or was that just the drivers? What about crossover etc? Either way...very cool!!

Shades of Grey Theater

post #116 of 1242 Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finding room for it is certainly an issue. It is not a small enclosure. The mouth needs to be 18" from the corner of the room, which makes placement even more difficult. A coffee table is near the center of a room. An end table would make more sense. The problem is that what ever you put on top of it will vibrate. I don't think it is the enclosure as much as just a lot of low frequency output. The enclosure is really rigid and beefy. I'm not sure I would want a lamp or a drink on top of it while it is cranked though.

If it is anything like the 15", I think you will be impressed. I like to recommend the 15" since I *know* it is awesome. I have no experience with the 12".

I have a friend that is a bit of an audiophile. He thought that the TLAHs couldn't sound good for that cost. He was very surprised. He said he would build them if he didn't already have great speakers. Now, if you have only 1 of these cheap drivers, it would be overdriven and distorted to get any reasonable volume. With "64" of them, it is a different story!

8 x $1.25 drivers = $10
6 x $2 tweeters = $12
1 x $1.25 resistor = $1.25
wood $8
Oops, $31.25 plus PL glue. Ok, I don't know where I got the $25 figure.

The piezos/tweeters output drop below 2khz. I tried it with a LP on the woofer and a HP on the tweeter and it didn't sound significantly different to me after I EQed them. I have to EQ them anyway because the piezos frequency response isn't flat. I figured why not EQ out at the crossover frequency range too? I'm sure it is not "ideal", but I really couldn't hear a difference. So, I decided to save a few bucks. It would be very easy to add the crossovers later anyway.

When I get my new space, I'll have more of a chance to mess with REW and such. I bet sound absorption in the new space will make a bigger difference anyhow. Perhaps then other problems will be more apparent to me?

post #117 of 1242 Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last week I broke my phone and needed another one. I was a bit preoccupied with my shiny new fancy phone. I bought one for my wife too, but hers wasn't working well and that also took up a bit of my time.

I did get to work down in the basement. I basically did just more electrical work. I needed to pull all the wires off the beam I am replacing. I did that, but need to drill holes in the joists so that I don't use up any ceiling height. I also need to do that for water supply and a drain pipe for the kitchen sink. I needed a 90 degree drill and found one to borrow for a bit. I didn't need it for the electrical wires (that bend), but for plumbing, it is needed.

I made a couple more circuits, incorporated a few more and replaced a bunch. I've done a bunch of electrical work in 2 weeks. I can only imagine how many thousands of dollars I've saved already. 3 weeks to replace and move every bit of electrical in the basement of an existing house doesn't sound too slow, does it?

post #118 of 1242 Old 08-02-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hahaha. Naw you are making good progress! I feel you on the $$ savings doing electrical yourself. Those licensed guys are expensive! (and never in that big a hurry ) I literally could not have afforded the house im living in now had i hired the electrical done.

I'm ordering plans for the LP-THT today! Im glad i asked you what the heck a THT was. I'm pretty excited about the build. (even if im not doing quite right) I'll definitly start a build thread once i get going. Im thinking of building 2 cabs at one time, even though i dont have the driver or amp for the second one. But hey... Christmas is just around the corner

Shades of Grey Theater

post #119 of 1242 Old 08-02-2010, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I figured I was making good progress even though I know I could be doing better. Heck, you probably could even get an electrician to show up within two weeks, right?

The LP-THT should let you change out to the spec'ed driver a little easier than the original THT too. One will probably be enough, but if you want to make people physically ill go for two! I feel a little ill after having mine cranked with the real low stuff....

post #120 of 1242 Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasmergner View Post

one will probably be enough, but if you want to make people physically ill go for two! :d i feel a little ill after having mine cranked with the real low stuff....

its like youre inside my head!

Shades of Grey Theater

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page