Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house? - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1242 Old 08-19-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have my venting inside the room complete and it is hooked up to the dehumidifier's fan. There is a slight increase in noise in the room. I think that might be fixed when I have the fan feeding the rest of the basement to reduce the airflow into the HT. I have a few options there including getting a smaller fan just to recirculate air into the HT.

I also have 7" of fg on the rear wall now. It sounds a little less live, but I'd like it to be even less so. I think I am still getting some echo from the untreated rear corners. I plan to put basstraps there anyway. I'll need to run Audyssey again and REW once I'm done adding them to see/hear where I'm at.

My helper cleared out a lot of crap out of my basement and organized it a bit better. I have to say that is where I have a weakness. wink.gif Since I have room now, I bought lumber to wall the "lobby" which should hide the rest of the basement from visitors (sparing them the mess). I might be able to have a movie night soon if I get some chairs made. rolleyes.gif

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1242 Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I put up the bass traps in the rear corners today and just about finished the fg everywhere else. It still does not seem overly damped to me. In fact, I can still hear a bit of a "zing" when I clap my hands in certain parts of the room (esp the center). I wonder if this is due to the floor and ceiling being untreated..? I reran Audyssey and I made sure to turn down the sub's amp first and then turn it up afterward. Otherwise Audyssey seems to limit it quite a bit. I now have a lot more bass. I had done some demos recently and thought the bass was not as over the top as I remember. That is not a problem any more. The system sounds pretty good now (although I thought it sounded good before too). I found that the noise I was attributing to the HVAC was actually the dehumidifier's compressor running just outside the door of the HT. I moved it further away and will run the compressor only at night...maybe put it on a timer.

I am now at a point where I can start working on the chairs and/or LEDs.

post #1173 of 1242 Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Sounds good Andreas! I'm looking forward to stopping by to check it out!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

post #1174 of 1242 Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ohhh ho ho! I've heard that one before. ha ha ha tongue.gif

Looking forward to your visit Ben!

In theater news, I picked up some wiring today at HD for the LEDs. I looked on Monoprice and didn't really see what I was looking for. After much hemming and hawing, I picked up a spool for $80. Yikes. I also glued some 8/4 poplar together for a chair base.

post #1175 of 1242 Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Wow! Some great progress over the last few days. Keep it up and don't forget the pictures! biggrin.gif

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #1176 of 1242 Old 08-24-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know that people are craving the pictures. Unfortunately the room is a bit messy and I keep removing the panels and putting them back on (painting the supports, FG, lighting)... I also have the one corner still unfinished. I have one white panel lit and will have a lot of them done this weekend with a little luck. I need to cover the backside of the white panels with another piece of white spandex. It increases the light output by quite a bit and makes the light less pink (FG) and more white. I also have the chair base waiting to be trimmed up and put together with the linear actuator and seat back.

These are exciting times.

One issue I'm having is that I need to keep my window open because the FG has a bit of odor. I hope it goes away! I guess with 10 new rolls of FG in there I have a bit more material than when I just did the front wall.

post #1177 of 1242 Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am trying to finalize the recliner design. Here's what I have so far.

I am messing around with different amounts of head and lumbar support. You can see the linkage is in the back which allows a shorter chair. It is also quite a bit stronger and there is no movement unlike the the last method I was using. I have two small SLA 12V batteries for a total of 24V. The linear acuator is plenty strong even at 12V, but faster with 24V. I have a momentary switch that is off in the center, on in one direction and reversed in the other direction.

I was toying with the idea of an adjustable head rest, but I think if I put enough padding in the head region it will be fine. A supplemental pillow would work also.

I'm going to see what I can come up with for arm rests now....and then maybe even try covering this seat.

I plan to make the rear seats without a recline. They will be much taller than the front seats so I was wondering if I should use ottomans like the front seats except they would be really tall. I decided to buy 4 more linear actuators so that I would have powered leg rests.

I have aired out the theater using the window for a couple of days. The smell from the FG is reduced quite a bit to tolerable levels. That is a relief since I don't want to pull it all out. I'll continue to air it out.

post #1178 of 1242 Old 08-26-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I made a mockup of the arm rest. I wanted something a little different and weird, but ended up going for a more sedate style. The front of the armrest will beveled which I think will be a little different. I am contemplating just painting the armrests and putting padding on top...but I probably could use the "leather" with maybe even less work. I want to see which looks better.

post #1179 of 1242 Old 08-26-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I also decided to cut the seat width from 27" to 25". 25" is still very roomy, but at 27" it is not comfortable to put both arms on the armrests. It also lets me have 7" or wider armrests while still having decent sized aisles on the sides of the chair row.

post #1180 of 1242 Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I made the seat 25" in width and added the lumbar and head supports to the back.

I wanted to get some upholstery on before the end of the night so I slapped this on. It was really easy and it came out pretty good. I can tighten it up better and I can always put on a new piece of material if need be. This is the seat bottom.

post #1181 of 1242 Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Seats are looking very good. Can't wait to see the finishing product. What is it you are covering them with? From the pictures it looks like there might be a sheen on the material, but it just might be the lighting.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1182 of 1242 Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The seats are coming along great! I'm very excited to see them finished.

post #1183 of 1242 Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The material is a faux polyurethane leather. It is really close to matte in person, so not sure why the pic shows it with a sheen. I think the material looks just like leather...it is a "high end" fake. The difference is that the material is much thinner than real leather. That said, polyurethane is really tough stuff so it is supposed to be durable. It doesn't seem to scratch from my moderate testing. It is also a bit easier to work with since it is on a roll like fabric instead of hide shaped. It is inexpensive compared to leather too and no matching or blemish issues.

post #1184 of 1242 Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The polyurethane is also supposed to "breathe" better than vinyl so you don't get stuck to it. My guess is that it is similar to leather in that way, but neither is close to microfiber or other fabrics. I don't have any experience sitting on it so I'll let you know.

post #1185 of 1242 Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Seats are getting very interesting - looking Good!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #1186 of 1242 Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No progress due to taking care of a wife going through a rough wisdom tooth removal and replacing our kitchen tile. The wife wanted it on an angle (and checkerboard). I told her it was going to be more difficult to cut everything at 45 degrees. Little did I know that she didn't want it at 45 degrees....we settled on 26 degrees! In any case, I'm still working on the floor. Luckily the kitchen floor is the last thing we really want to do in the whole house (I think). The tile was cracking in a bunch of places probably because I, ya know, put a new steel beam under the floor for a certain theater room. The new floor is going to look great though.

I'm really excited to get going on the theater and finish it so you haven't heard the last from me by a long shot. I also have been dreaming of the rotary sub being functional. wink.gif

post #1187 of 1242 Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

I also have been dreaming of the rotary sub being functional.

Whoo! I was getting worried when it wasn't mentioned in ages. wink.gif

post #1188 of 1242 Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's coming. Heck, I have most of it built. It's just tough doing all the stuff I do plus multiple weird/ambitious projects. I am looking forward to hearing/feeling it even though my THT puts out an ungodly amount of bass.

post #1189 of 1242 Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

No worries, I know exactly how you feel with lots of projects. Plus, it's the weird/ambitious ones that are often times the coolest! biggrin.gif

post #1190 of 1242 Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am a glutton for punishment. ha ha

So, if anyone could tell me where I left my extra spool of welding wire, I'd be ever so grateful. I saw it less than two weeks ago and put it somewhere where I thought I could find it more easily. Wow, that idea was GENIUS. :-/ I wanted to get this chair covered and put together again.

post #1191 of 1242 Old 09-07-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I know exactly how you feel. I don't even want to think about the number of times I spent a good chunk of my day looking for something that I "put somewhere easy to find."

It normally ends up being under something else that I just didn't lift up.

post #1192 of 1242 Old 09-23-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally have finished a, er, sort-of HT related project. When I put the steel beam in I probably put it in 1/16" higher than the wood beam it replaced. Because of that, in the kitchen above I had a bunch of cracked tiles. I have been working to replace those tiles for the last few weeks and can now concentrate mostly on the HT. I think. Maybe. tongue.gif

The house came with tan tiles, but we put these down. Note the 26 degree angle.

post #1193 of 1242 Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm - Looks more like a 30 degree angle to me smile.gif
Looks good, nice contrast!

Is that a rotary sub-woofer I hear in the background?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #1194 of 1242 Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good eye, cuzed2

Sine of 30 degrees would be .5 and I was going for the tangent being .5, so 26.57 or thereabouts. Wife didn't want 90 or 45! I think it looks pretty cool in any case. Colors are Portuguese-y since my wife is 3/4.

post #1195 of 1242 Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hmmmm.......that tiling job looks great. The photograph looks like one of those optical illusions as the way I look at it the tile looks like it is in motion. Or it just could be the two Blue Moons I just consumed. Either way it looks great, and I love the colors too (and THAT is NOT the beer talking).

Oh and Cuzed I think your right. I too hear a faint rumbling sound, or it could be the beer.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1196 of 1242 Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RT: with two beers and me being a light weight - I'd be seeing motion myself. I like the colors and the floor...and I can see guests saying "I really like your floor. It's different. I wouldn't put it in my house though." Ha ha

The rumbling sound is my ambition being squelched by 85% no time and 15% laziness.

post #1197 of 1242 Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I posted on the Fabric frame thread and was asked to post pics of my frame mounting. I took a few pics and here they are.

6" of regular pink fiberglass absorption on rear wall held in place with staples and string = really easy and works. I have 2x3s attached to the ceiling and glued to the floor that the frames hang off of. I mount the cleats to the 2x3. At the ceiling, I trimmed the cleats on the wall (2x3s) so that I only had to lift them 1/8" of less to remove them. That way I could get them close to the ceiling.

This is how the cleats are attached to the frames. The frames are 2 layers of 3/4" ply (Auraco at Lowes - great stuff!) glued with PL premium and then beveled on the table saw.

This is what it looks like mounted. The cleat on the 2x3 here is just a long one so I don't have to mount two for side by side frames. You could use two separate ones instead and it would be easier to adjust them (height) separately.

post #1198 of 1242 Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Andreas,

Thanks for sharing this post for your rear wall!

I was considering going with open studs filled with mineral wool then GOM >> However concerns for my local fire code (lack of drywall) scared me off, before I even investigated the details.
Any similar concerns on your end, or....?

Those in wall speakers I see look interesting, any details you can share (sorry if it is listed elsewhere in your thread ?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

post #1199 of 1242 Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cuzed2: I have a "typical" soundproofed room with double walls, FG in both walls, DD, GG, decoupled. I then have a drywalled room. Inside that I have the FG absorption and then fabric panels over the FG. I don't have an inspected room, so don't know about codes. My room is only 80" tall, so I think that in itself doesn't allow me to be in code!

The in walls are called TLAH from BFM (Bill Fitzmaurice). He has a bunch of plans online along with the THT that I built for the sub (it is amazing). Actually, both the TLAHs and the THT are amazing. I use the TLAHs for the fronts AND surrounds. They are line arrays with a transmission like to make them go lower. The fronts have more speakers than the surrounds. I made the fronts for only $30 each and they can go incredibly loud and still have more headroom. They sound great too and my guests agree (unless they are being overly polite). They are only 4.5" thick. The line arrays help with untreated ceilings and floors, which I think is most rooms since the sound waves end up more horizontal (compressed in the vertical direction.)

I have a little build thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1252714/bfm-tlah-construction-with-cnc-router-help

post #1200 of 1242 Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Andreas' house looks like the R&D department at Shield HQ

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version