Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1242 Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hows that basement coming?

I scrapped the idea of building two cabs for the THTLP. I found out that with the placement i had in mind, while visually better...would be terrible for acoustics. So id be better off with just the one.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1242 Old 08-05-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You won't need two, don't worry! It will be cheaper and less labor to make one. You still have the option of swapping out the driver and getting another 3db which would be like doubling anyway. I think that is a good decision, but you will let us know when you hear it. Plus....you can always build a second one later if you want.

I have been hemming and hawing (sp?) about how to route the kitchen sink drain. It currently feeds into an older section of the drain pipe, has no venting and drains poorly.
It also hangs down too low.

I was thinking I wanted to go through the joists and take it to a newer section of drain where there is a vent to the roof. The problem is that there is heating pipe in the way so I'd have to go maybe 10-12 feet instead of a straight 6 feet. Since I have to drop 1/4" per foot, I'd run out of joist area so that I could keep the pipe 2" from the top and/or bottom.

THEN I realized the heating pipe is in the way of where the steel beam will go! Why I hadn't seen that before is a mystery to me. So, I let the situation stew in my head for a few hours.

I think I will be removing more heating pipe and rerouting it to the other side of the beam. That will allow me to put the steel beam up flush with the joists. It will also allow me to do a straight shot for the kitchen sink drain. It also means the $100 of couplers for the 2" threaded pipe to copper are for naught and I have to buy some 1.25" couplers on top of that. Still, I'm saving a ton of money even with some small mistakes like this. I can probably eBay the couplers anyhow.

So, all good and making slowish progress. Hopefully tomorrow I can get that heating pipe moved and all of the electrical squared away. (I did move some electrical around earlier this am.)

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #123 of 1242 Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you HAVE to move the sink drain, or just want to because it drains slowly? You can use an "inline" vent like THESE if you think proper ventilation is the only issue.

Edit*

I see it hangs down too far as well...bleck...yeah you might just be stuck. However isn't 1/4" drop per foot way more than you need? I was thinking it was more like 1/4" every 4'...However...i may or may not be smoking crack....

Shades of Grey Theater

post #124 of 1242 Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The drain goes down into an older section of the drainage system that I'm not sure I trust. I'd rather bypass it. I have to rework the piping anyway. It will only take me 10 minute to drill 4 more holes in the joists. The first one went easy as expected.

I still may not have adequate venting and will put in one of those AAR/Studor vents if I have slow drainage after that. Thanks for the info...I did know about them before.

post #125 of 1242 Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Its the least i can do for showing me the THT. Cant wait to start making sawdust. I keep reading great things about them. (of course from people who build them total to spec) So im trying to keep my expectations down just in case. On paper i should be good....but still. I will surely write a paragraph or two on it when im finished.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #126 of 1242 Old 08-07-2010, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You owe me BIG time! It will be good. Don't stress about the build too much and it will go much faster. All the work is on the inside,and it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Yesterday I cut the heating pipes and was only able to unthread one of the two pipes because of clearance issues. I bought a few more tools (!) and I have a plan of attack. I pulled some wire between the top of the stairs and the basement for the 3 way light switches. This involved taking out the old box and messing with several BX cables that took more time than it should....and then made a small mistake (that I don't really want to talk about) which wasted more of my time.

That was about it except for a number of errands and picking up the dielectric couplers for the heating piping and assorted electrical and plumbing supplies from the Depot. It was not my most productive day, but it was progress towards my goal!

post #127 of 1242 Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had a breaker tripping after my last bit of electrical work. I little troubleshooting and a spark told me that the short was unrelated to the work I was doing. We have these old hanging light sconces and the wires were bare because of the motion of the hanging lights. (I bump my head on this particular one every so often.)

I took off the lamp to look in the box. There are SIX, yes SIX BX cables going into this box. The box was packed completely full. I don't know why this box is the junction for 4-5 other outlets/lights! Also, the insulation on the wires inside the box was not so great....and a wire nut was missing.

I don't think this is safe.

So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this mess. Maybe it is best to just tape everything really well and stuff it back in there? I could put in a second box, but I'd have to rip out plaster/lathe...and then I'd have to put a cover on it. That might look odd on the wall. Suggestions?

post #128 of 1242 Old 08-07-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL! I ran into that a lot in this house too. It wasnt a problem for me cause i ripped everything out and started over...After seeing that...im glad i did!

Shades of Grey Theater

post #129 of 1242 Old 08-07-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Man that looks like I did the electrical! What a find! Make you nervous as to what else lurks behind those walls! Good luck!

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #130 of 1242 Old 08-07-2010, 08:21 AM

Liked: 10
I would remove that box and put an a deep "old construction" box there in place of it so you have more room for the wires and connections. Like this but get the deepest version you can fit.....
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCMQ8wIwAg#
You should be able to replace the box without any major damage to the wall.
post #131 of 1242 Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

6 cables = 12 wires.... Why does a lamp need 12 wires going to it??

So, I could put in the 3" deep lamp box, 94HP. The only problem is that it is already in a 3" deep box. The box is pretty big, but there are just tons of wires in there. Also, the 6 BX cables: I don't know if you are familiar with them. This is what they look like:

Except mine have the cloth/waxy insulation. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't age too well. I can go over it with electrical tape and I think I will be ok.

Since the ground is in the metal sheath (yes, I said sheath), I'm pretty sure I need to use a metal box. The clamps both physically attach the sheath to the metal box and connect all of the grounds.

Since I have 6 cables coming in from all sides and the sheaths make the cables very rigid, there will not be any way of getting the box out without tearing into the plaster and lathe. The box will just not come out otherwise. Then you have the issue that the wires could break off too short when you are trying to maneuver them out of the box. Then you have more of a mess to make it "legal"!

I'm not too worried about it yet, but still am up for suggestions. I am not going to tear everything out because that would mean I'd have to do the whole house! I'll do what is reasonable and safe.

post #132 of 1242 Old 08-07-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

They make liquid electrical tape as well. Might be worth considering a coat of that on some of the wires and then regular tape just as an added precaution.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #133 of 1242 Old 08-10-2010, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liquid tape is an option. I guess it might be easier to paint some insulation on some of the wires than pulling them out. The downside would be that without pulling the wires out of the box, I don't know where the bare wires are.

I'll be getting back to that box soon.

Sunday I took the rest of the heating plumbing down. I had to don a respirator to remove it AS BEST OS I could. :-/ It only had a couple of short section that I wrapped well in 6 mil plastic before removing. It wasn't crumbling or anything, so I felt reasonably safe.

I drilled half of the holes for the (now) straight shot of the kitchen sink drain pipe. The battery on the rechargable 90 degree drill died. I would have just charged it and gone again, but I had to wait to let the battery cool before I could charge it.....and then I ran out of time. Give me a good corded tool anytime I have serious work to do!

I also strung some of the wire through the joists.

I will need to put more plumbing through the joists and I will have everything cleared for the placement of the steel beam.

post #134 of 1242 Old 08-10-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

Liquid tape is an option. I guess it might be easier to paint some insulation on some of the wires than pulling them out. The downside would be that without pulling the wires out of the box, I don't know where the bare wires are.

I'll be getting back to that box soon.

Sunday I took the rest of the heating plumbing down. I had to don a respirator to remove it AS BEST OS I could. :-/ It only had a couple of short section that I wrapped well in 6 mil plastic before removing. It wasn't crumbling or anything, so I felt reasonably safe.

I drilled half of the holes for the (now) straight shot of the kitchen sink drain pipe. The battery on the rechargable 90 degree drill died. I would have just charged it and gone again, but I had to wait to let the battery cool before I could charge it.....and then I ran out of time. Give me a good corded tool anytime I have serious work to do!

I also strung some of the wire through the joists.

I will need to put more plumbing through the joists and I will have everything cleared for the placement of the steel beam.

I do have a corded saws-all as that seems to be the biggest battery hog. Working on my house i finally broke down and bought a set of 18v dewalt cordless tools. Best investment I've made to date with power tools. I used lots of other cordless sets but the battery life sucks and the tools are sub par, these guys rock my world no doubt.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #135 of 1242 Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I second corded tools. I have never had much luck with battery powered ones. Although I have not tried the newest technology, but with the corded ones I never have to worry about dead batteries and such.

I'm with ya, cords are old school, but sometimes "new school" is not what it is cracked up to be.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #136 of 1242 Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bet a corded hitachi is better than a cordless dewalt....and 1/4 the price.

ha ha Ok, so maybe not in ALL ways, but I hope you get my point.

What is so bad about an extension cord? Cordless won't last on a medium length job. The answer: more batteries! Cordless is great until a couple of years later when you have to replace all the batteries because they just don't last.

Rechargable costs more to buy and then you have to buy the multiple and replacement batteries.

Anyway, I'm sure you can buy a good rechargable tool, but unless you are going to do small jobs occasionally in the woods (without access to an outlet), but still will have access to an outlet to charge the batteries....you are paying in performance and $$$ for (different) convenience. I think it is convenient not to charge batteries!

Ok, my ranting is done for a little bit. I apologize.

Oh, and rechargables weigh more.

post #137 of 1242 Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

*edit* Hey you are allowed to rant all you want! Its your thread lol!!!

Until i bought this last set of tools i would have agreed with you 100%. But i got a great deal between the sale that was going on (they were close out because Lowes is switching to litium ion batteries) Plus my gift certificate and a mail-in rebate for a free impact driver, i ended up with a Hammer drill, impact driver (must have if youve never used one) skill saw, saws-all, flash light, charger and two batteries all that fit in 1 case for about 360 bucks Granted... normally that same set minus the impact driver runs over 500...So i got a great deal.

But These batteries last long enough that for anything other than the hardest jobs im never without power, the charger has a built in cooldown cycle before it recharges if the battery is too hot, so i can just pop the dead battery in use the new one and by the time that one is dead the next one is ready to go. I had a lithium Ion porter cable set before this that i used for 6 months and returned it because 4 batteries died on me...it was aweful (you get what you pay for sometimes i guess) I basically convinced lowes to give me store credit even though id used the set for that long, because i had replaced both original batteries and 1 of the replacements...ugh.

All that being said...I still have corded versions of all my main tools, but my cordless are super handy. Probably for the average around the house do-it-yourselfer corded equipment is more handy because you dont have to worry about dead batteries and there is always an outlet because your house is already finished :-)

The cordless tool i use the LEAST is definitely the skill saw. The blade is so small its hard to get a straight cut on anything of length without a guide, so about all its good for is trimming dimensional lumber, which...if im doing that...I use my chop saw. Its been handy in a few situations, but for the most part it just sits there.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #138 of 1242 Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you got a good deal. I think you can get good deals on corded tools too though.

Also, I bet the corded tool has more power. My corded Dewalt hammer drill will rip my arm out of its socket if I'm not careful. (Slight exaggeration.)

I'll give you handy, though. Can't beat cordless for that when you are going in between floors and without power.

I won't refuse a cordless tool if you put it in my hand, but don't expect me to shell out money for serious cordless tools. I do have a small screwdriver that is cordless that is very handy, $30 and is so small and light. It is much better than a regular cordless drill at 1/10 the weight.

I was all suited up last evening to drill some joist holes, but cooked food for my prego wife instead. Oh, and I napped. I feel great today!

post #139 of 1242 Old 08-11-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was all suited up last evening to drill some joist holes, but cooked food for my prego wife instead. Oh, and I napped. I feel great today!

Hmmmm drill joist holes....or cook and nap....yeah i think you went the right way.

Quote:

Also, I bet the corded tool has more power. My corded Dewalt hammer drill will rip my arm out of its socket if I'm not careful. (Slight exaggeration.)

Its funny you say that. I agree 100%. Ill actually reach for my cordless for some jobs for the reason precisely. I've injured myself trying to use corded drills, drilling holes in tight spaces before...when it catches and about rips my arm off an pins it between joists...not fun! But i think we are on the same team here lol. We can all agree that using the right too for the job makes things much easier.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #140 of 1242 Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, the right tool for the job is key.

I decided to microwave leftovers and not take a nap last night. I was able to finish the holes for the sink drain pipe. The drill battery was pretty much done after 3 holes again. :/

So, I drilled a bunch more holes for the last of the electrical running through the joists. I didn't get quite done because the Dewalt drill I'm using can't handle making more than 20 x 1" holes in a short period of time. It was getting too hot, so I pulled most of the wire.

Then it was time to go grocery shopping.

I have to work today, so no basement-ing until tonight/tomorrow.

post #141 of 1242 Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the right tool for the job is key.

I decided to microwave leftovers and not take a nap last night. I was able to finish the holes for the sink drain pipe. The drill battery was pretty much done after 3 holes again. :/

So, I drilled a bunch more holes for the last of the electrical running through the joists. I didn't get quite done because the Dewalt drill I'm using can't handle making more than 20 x 1" holes in a short period of time. It was getting too hot, so I pulled most of the wire.

Then it was time to go grocery shopping.

I have to work today, so no basement-ing until tonight/tomorrow.

Awww...BOO for work! I suppose you gotta make money to put into the HT somehow right? I swear some guys on here have an HT to support their work habit....eerrr wait...

Shades of Grey Theater

post #142 of 1242 Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Friday I pretty much finished the old electrical work! I pulled a lot of wire through the joists until my arms were jello-y. I also am in contact with a civil engineer relative that will double check my calculations on the steel beam sizing. I also ran through my procedure for putting in the new beam and he didn't seem to think I was crazy, so that is good.

I have to take some pics and make some sketches for the beam to send to my relative. I also need to move the water supply for the kitchen to withing the joists.

I'm supposed to be interviewed by the local paper today regarding that crazy igloo car I posted pics of earlier.

I demoed my current HT/THT/fronts to a fellow AVSer yesterday. I think he approved. Maybe he will drop in and give some comments.

My brother surprised me yesterday since he showed up at my door even though he lives in LA. He was there for part of the demo and was pretty impressed.

post #143 of 1242 Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, a month has gone by and I don't think I've done anything HT related. I took a couple of weeks to work on moving my rented workshop to my garage (still not done yet). I was in the Bahamas for the last two weeks and I have guests from out of town this week.

Next week I will be starting up again. I have been waiting for final advice about sizing my steel beam and I should have that info in the next few days. I can then order the beam and that should get things rolling pretty well. I also need to get the heating system connected and working before it gets too much colder.

I only have 19 more weeks before the baby is due to come. I don't want to end up with an unfinished project like I have seen a few times on this forum!

post #144 of 1242 Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, a month has gone by and I don't think I've done anything HT related. I took a couple of weeks to work on moving my rented workshop to my garage (still not done yet). I was in the Bahamas for the last two weeks and I have guests from out of town this week.

Next week I will be starting up again. I have been waiting for final advice about sizing my steel beam and I should have that info in the next few days. I can then order the beam and that should get things rolling pretty well. I also need to get the heating system connected and working before it gets too much colder.

I only have 19 more weeks before the baby is due to come. I don't want to end up with an unfinished project like I have seen a few times on this forum!

You sir...are screwed! lol!!! J/k, but you better get a move on 19 weeks will go by faster than you can possibly imagine...and when the baby gets there...all bets are off, progress will slow to a crawl. :-) so go man go!

Shades of Grey Theater

post #145 of 1242 Old 09-22-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I only have 18 weeks now! I don't want to admit that I am screwed yet, even though I'm feeling a bit stressed thinking of everything left to do.

I really *need* to get it done so I can clear out the 3rd bedroom where the HT is currently located. We need that bedroom so we store all of the excess baby stuff (crap) we are collecting! People's eyes light up when you say you are expecting because that means they can unload all of their baby stuff on you that they have stored in their basement. It is good to get useful things for free though.

post #146 of 1242 Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, I do have a Denon 1911 AVR arriving in another day or two! I guess I should have ordered a cable for it or something... oops! Maybe I'll do that tonight. Now I'm wondering what else I need from Monoprice.

I'm looking forward to EQing and balancing the channels out properly. My center channel never seems to be the right volume and my subwoofer is fed off it too.

post #147 of 1242 Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My receiver arrived, but I had to order cables from Monoprice. On my list was a couple of HDMI cables, the SPDIF cable and speaker wire. I found some threads where it was mentioned that SPDIF is not the best way to output to the AVR from a HTPC. When I upgrade my PC next time, I'll get the required hardware to output HDMI audio.

Over the last few days I've finished up replacing all of the hot and cold water supplies in the basement. They are now all located within the joist cavities. I used the "soft" bendable copper tubing which made the job much, much easier than soldering together 20 small rigid pieces of copper tubing! I still had a lot of connections. I was very happy to only have one leak when I turned it all back on again!

My next task is to replace/reroute the drain lines. This shouldn't take long -- a day? Then I have to put the heating pipes back.

Then comes the big beam project. Oh man.

post #148 of 1242 Old 10-01-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I finished up all of the drain work! I have to put the heating pipes in now. I might be able to do them over the weekend, although likely not. Then I'll work on prepping for the beam by making temporary walls.

I received cables for my new receiver today. I finally figured out the correct settings on my PC to get it to work with the SPDIF cable. It sounds much better than without! I'll need to tweak a bit more....

post #149 of 1242 Old 10-01-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention: You know how when you get lemon juice in a cut, it hurts? PVC glue hurts 10 times worse in a cut. Today I experienced getting a drop in my eye and I can say that is was not fun....not fun at all.

My eye was fine after a thorough rinsing and a couple of hours.

post #150 of 1242 Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
glue...in the eyes? that sounds horrible

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page