Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1242 Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice going so far, looking forward to seeing your progress on the rotary sub.

You are probably aware but the Crown xti1000 has a huge power drop off at 20hz to 4ohms. I purchased one to drive a tht I built and ended up reselling it to get an amp that put out some power below 20hz.

See the thread below for measurements.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post13869426
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1242 Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Phillip: It really freaking hurt. I got it in my eye and just started screaming. I was running for the bathroom without really being able to see. Luckily, the PVC glue is really just a solvent that dissolves the PVC to bond it. I'm usually pretty strong when it comes to pain, but this was intense.

dsl1: Thanks! I hadn't heard that from the XTIs. I'll have to look into it. I know I'm getting output below 20 hz with the THT when I test with sine waves. I have set some of those filters on the Band Manager to boost below 20. It won't matter much when I get the rotary going as I'll likely get another amp for it and use the THT >25 hz.

I have most of the heating pipe cut. I need to get some more fittings at the plumbing supply place. Then I can solder it all up. I also did a bit of cleanup. I brought about 500 lbs of pipe up so far! I have a bit more to go....

I have the new receiver (Denon 1911) hooked up and working well. It is nice to have the speakers sounding balanced in volume! I'm not sure why I couldn't get them to sound that way by ear. I had to crank the low end quite a bit after Audyssey, but that sounds like it is the norm. The dynamic EQ allows low volume listening to still sound great. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT
Build log: DIY rotary sub for contemporary HT in 100 year old house?
Andreas' Slow Rotary Sub build
post #153 of 1242 Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Well if it can dissolve PVC to bond it, I'd be scared of what it could do to my eyeballs as well :O Good thing you're okay and nice to hear of progress on the project.

post #154 of 1242 Old 10-05-2010, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hear ya Phillip! I won't be doing that again on purpose. I like being able to see.

I'm almost through my second lamp for my projector. I'm thinking about getting a bare bulb off of eBay for $100 as opposed to the $350 lamp housing through the normal retail channels. I have read some threads where they are bashing the eBay bulbs, but a couple others saying they are a good deal. Seems like a couple bad bulbs through eBay is nothing different than a couple bad bulbs that come with projectors. Bad bulbs happen, right?

EBay has a new guarantee and the stores have a warrantee , so I think I'll try one and see how it goes.

Did a bit of soldering of the heating pipes yesterday. The stove is pulled out to get to some of the pipes, so I want to get that done sooner than later. I'll be going to get some plumbing supplies at lunch.

post #155 of 1242 Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasMergner View Post

I had a breaker tripping after my last bit of electrical work. I little troubleshooting and a spark told me that the short was unrelated to the work I was doing. We have these old hanging light sconces and the wires were bare because of the motion of the hanging lights. (I bump my head on this particular one every so often.)

I took off the lamp to look in the box. There are SIX, yes SIX BX cables going into this box. The box was packed completely full. I don't know why this box is the junction for 4-5 other outlets/lights! Also, the insulation on the wires inside the box was not so great....and a wire nut was missing.

I don't think this is safe.

So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this mess. Maybe it is best to just tape everything really well and stuff it back in there? I could put in a second box, but I'd have to rip out plaster/lathe...and then I'd have to put a cover on it. That might look odd on the wall. Suggestions?

Please do not just tape that up and shove it back in. That is a short waiting to happen. Just remember, a little bit of extra work on that box right now will go a long way. Those bad boys should be routed into a nice j-box and done right. Loose connections and compaction don't fair well with electricity and the last thing we want is 1) multiple breaker trips 2) heaven forbid a fire. Good thing you caught this before something happened.
post #156 of 1242 Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll see what I can do about that mess. The problem is that I would have to rip out the WHOLE wall to replace it. You can't just pull out a junction box with 6 conduits/bx cables going into it.

I haven't fixed it yet. It is bothering me since we do not have a light at the top of the stairs anymore.

post #157 of 1242 Old 10-08-2010, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered another lamp from eBay. I asked some of the people who bought one too and got good feedback.

I'm about 90% done with putting the heating pipes back....assuming I don't have any leaks when I turn it on. It is such a pain to fix leaky pipes after turning the water on.

I've also moved a whole bunch of junk (old pipes/wiring/concrete) out of the basement. I was going to take a picture of it since it has been a while, but figured it was best just to get it out while I was motivated. I will now need to order the beam and build temporary walls so I can remove the old beam.

post #158 of 1242 Old 10-09-2010, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the heat is now working! I had one tiny leak that I required me to drain the whole system after purging it of air. I added one valve so I could purge air in a spot I thought might be beneficial.

So far:
finish french drain - done
foam on the walls - mostly done
reroute plumbing - done
reroute electrical - done
reroute heating pipes - done
new beam - next
radiant heat for first floor
walls
new electrical
new windows
drywall
sound absorption
floor
lighting
furniture

Oh man, I better start cracking! I have 3.5 months...

post #159 of 1242 Old 10-12-2010, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I decided this weekend was a good one to start/finish the baby room. It needed spackling and paint. I am happy to say it is just about done except for a small amount of touchups. This accomplishes a couple of things: a happy wife and more support from the wife on the basement project.

I was at HD yesterday trying to figure out what I will be doing with the floors in the basement. My requirements are: vapor barrier, insulative, not prone to mold or damage with water coming from below or above the floor. I think I have a solution!

I will be using 6 mil plastic sheet directly on the concrete, followed by child play foam tiles for the HT room. Then on top of that, I will put vinyl wood plank flooring. The foam tiles are insulative, so should make the floor warmer than just straight concrete. Also, they will provide some cushioning and absorb some of the concrete's irregularities. When our baby comes, it will be a nice play surface too.

If you have not seen the vinyl wood plank flooring I'm talking about, you might want to check it out! It looks better than most wood laminates since it has texture. It looks higher end to me, even if it only costs <$2/sqft. If you end up with water in the basement, you won't need to throw out all your flooring. It is really easy to install since it does not need to be attached to the sub floor (floating) and can be cut with a utility knife. Did I mention it looks great???

Later on, I may decide to put the vinyl flooring in the HT too, depending on how I like the two surfaces.

I am ordering my steel beam in a few days so it can be here around the 21st. I need to do a bit of work before it comes.

I'm also researching new windows for the basement.

post #160 of 1242 Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've got all the wood in the basement for the temp walls before the old beam comes out. I also ordered the 800 lb steel beam. $700 plus delivery. I think it will be worth it to get 16 feet of width without a support!

post #161 of 1242 Old 10-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just caught up on your build, looks like you are moving along! I have to give you credit in doing this in a 100 year old house!

My house was built in 1915 so I sympathise. My wife and I moved in 2 years ago and I have only just begun ripping out all the old knob and tube; god I hate that stuff.... The only good thing is that is giving me an excuse to rip out the plaster lathe and properly insulate.

My basement, unfourtunately is not dry like yours, with all the rain we've had I've been realizing how bad the drainage is around the house.

Good luck with the HT and baby! I will be checking in to see how things are going. I'm looking forward to the rotary sub build!

One more thing, I have to add on the cordless/corded discussion; I use cordless for almost everything except concrete drilling (bigger than 3/16") for that I use a corded SDS and heavy duty grinding. Prolonged use of the grinder is murder on the batteries.

I've been using DeWalt for nearly 10 years and have been very happy with their performance. I think it does make a difference how many batteries one has (I have about 25 XRP just for the Dewalt stuff) I always have a couple fully charged batteries waiting....

I have a bunch of stuff that is in tool bags in my truck that aren't in this picture...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #162 of 1242 Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Beemer, looks like you are not too far away from me. Glad you will be following along. I occassionally am out in Syracuse for work, so maybe you'll invite me over when you are done?

Luckily I don't have any knob and tube. I had problems with water, but it was all caused by rain water backing up from the storm drains. Before I realized this, I had already rented (and used) a concrete saw and jackhammer to create a french trench. I still think it is a good idea since the new pipes I laid into the trench are running with all the rain we've had in the last few weeks.

My sump pump well drains into the sewer (which is not really quite legal). This is good since it will work if the power goes out. It is bad since the sewer can back up into the basement. To fix this, I bought a ball floor drain from Mcmaster (let me know if you want the part #) which has a ball that is normally down to allow water flow out, but will rise and plug the drain if water comes up from the sewer. The sump pump will pump out any water that collects when the drain is plugged.

My wife doesn't really understand why I would want a rotary sub. It will be one of the last things I do to the room. It is not a priority, but it will be fun to do.

You have an impressive amount of power tools! I still like my cords.

post #163 of 1242 Old 10-19-2010, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was wondering what I was going to do about fire alarms. I didn't want to be watching a movie while the house was burning all around me. I needed a way to link the alarms so if one went off, they all went off. With the basement HT, we will have 4 floors of living space!

Both Kidde and First Alert have alarms that link wirelessly. I thought the First Alert ones had better features. They will annouce where the fire is (as a voice) and whether it is carbon monoxide or smoke. The best deal by far was here: http://www.firstalertstore.com/store...-alarm-2pk.htm

$92 for 2 of the smoke *and* carbon monoxide detectors. Unfortunately, I needed 6, so it was a bit expensive. If a fire starts in the basement and we are all sleeping on the second floor, that will give us several more minutes of notice, which is worth the $300, I think.

post #164 of 1242 Old 10-22-2010, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just finished putting up the "temporary" walls. These are regular 2x4 walls that run parallel to the old beam 30" on either side of it. They act just like load bearing walls. Theoretically I can now remove the old beam since they will now support the joists. I will be lowering the center beam support to see if the beam keeps coming down with it or stays "up in the air" while the temp walls support the joists. If I don't post ever again, you'll know why.

Hopefully, I'll get the beam delivered next week and I can then remove the old beam and cut out the joists at the beam...then lift the new beam into place.

post #165 of 1242 Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great! The beam isn't sagging at all. I turned the screw on the support 1/2 a revolution and the beam was no longer supported by it, which means the temp walls are doing their thing.

Here's a few pics:
Soft copper and electrical through joists so it is not attached to the beam I am removing or hanging below joists.

Heating system with new copper plumbing so I can route it around the room instead of through it.

Temp walls so I can remove the old beam and support. Will be replaced by steel beam. Will cut joists so that new beam can be placed 8" higher. Joists will be hung off new beam.

The basement still looks like a nightmare! ...but hopefully in another month or so I'll have exciting drywall pics.

post #166 of 1242 Old 10-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Beemer, looks like you are not too far away from me. Glad you will be following along. I occassionally am out in Syracuse for work, so maybe you'll invite me over when you are done?

Luckily I don't have any knob and tube. I had problems with water, but it was all caused by rain water backing up from the storm drains. Before I realized this, I had already rented (and used) a concrete saw and jackhammer to create a french trench. I still think it is a good idea since the new pipes I laid into the trench are running with all the rain we've had in the last few weeks.

My sump pump well drains into the sewer (which is not really quite legal). This is good since it will work if the power goes out. It is bad since the sewer can back up into the basement. To fix this, I bought a ball floor drain from Mcmaster (let me know if you want the part #) which has a ball that is normally down to allow water flow out, but will rise and plug the drain if water comes up from the sewer. The sump pump will pump out any water that collects when the drain is plugged.

My wife doesn't really understand why I would want a rotary sub. It will be one of the last things I do to the room. It is not a priority, but it will be fun to do.

You have an impressive amount of power tools! I still like my cords.

I have been "collecting" for a while.... It seems everything I do around the house "requires" a new tool

In any case "done" is a fluid goal! Keeping the wife happy seems to be a good bar to shoot for though. I would certainly love to have you over to check things out.

I would love to offer my services with your build as I love doing that sort of thing; finding time to get things done around my own house is hard enough though If I get some time, I will certainly drop you a note....

I'm getting ready to head off to Tel Aviv for 3 weeks, so I won't be able to do much of anything until after Thanksgiving.

Looks like you are moving along though; replacing that beam is quite a project, having done similar projects myself. Keep up the good work!!

post #167 of 1242 Old 10-25-2010, 08:54 PM

Liked: 11
Andreas...I think you are doing an outstanding job! You have (mostly had!) a lot to do before really getting started on the theater. Kudos to you for tackling the beam project by yourself. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see a couple of pictures of you getting the 800lb beam off the floor and into place!

Naturally I would love to see the rotary sub build but understand why you would want to wait. I built my own speakers and IB sub in a sealed chamber behind my screen but if I would have seen your build first, I may have tried the line arrays first...still would have built the IB though.

Nice use of the attic space! Do you have moisture issues related to using the garden tub in the attic?

Very glad you didn't lose eyesight with the PVC glue. If that hurt as bad as the "glue" smells, you must have been in a lot of pain!
post #168 of 1242 Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

.......To fix this, I bought a ball floor drain from Mcmaster (let me know if you want the part #) which has a ball that is normally down to allow water flow out, but will rise and plug the drain if water comes up from the sewer.....

Hmm, somehow I missed this part of your post before. I love McMaster-Carr..... Whoops did I say that out loud?!

Seriously, I buy tons of stuff from them for work (and home) they are usually a bit expensive, but when you can get what you need when you need it... well you know!

In any case, I actually would like the part # if you don't mind. For some reason I can't find it...

post #169 of 1242 Old 10-26-2010, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Andreas...I think you are doing an outstanding job! You have (mostly had!) a lot to do before really getting started on the theater. Kudos to you for tackling the beam project by yourself. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see a couple of pictures of you getting the 800lb beam off the floor and into place!

Hey, Tom! You are my new favorite AVSer. Thanks for the kind words. You are right, I am jealous of the builds that start off in a new, clean basement. I think they need to move things around too, but probably have higher ceilings and don't have to be as concerned as I am. I have three more months to go (hoping she doesn't come prematurely!), so still need to keep on moving.

I'll take a few pics of the beam install if I am not too preoccupied, although I don't know when I'll be doing it again....so I should document it. For some reason, I don't want to post too many pics of my work since I may not be to "code". The whole project will not be inspected. I want to be safe and do a good job, but there are a lot of downsides to getting it inspected....and obviously very good points.

Quote:

Naturally I would love to see the rotary sub build but understand why you would want to wait. I built my own speakers and IB sub in a sealed chamber behind my screen but if I would have seen your build first, I may have tried the line arrays first...still would have built the IB though.

I would like to work on the rotary now, but I'd like to have walls, a screen and seating first! I like the idea of IBs. I wish I could demo them somewhere near me. I think that is the way most people should go if they are not concerned with paying for a $1000-2000 sub system that sounds great. I wanted to pay less, bc I like to save money when I can.

The line arrays sound great for what they are. I've had compliments on them several times.
Quote:

Nice use of the attic space! Do you have moisture issues related to using the garden tub in the attic?

Not with the tub, but we have a washer and drier up there as well. I have a valve off the drier vent (available at HD) that I can open up to the space in the winter that will heat and "moisturize" the attic. That way the heat doesn't get pumped outside the house, and winters are usually dry inside anyway. It tends to fog the windows by the time a load is done. The space is pretty large at 700 sq feet so it can handle a fair amount of moisture, although the ceiling slopes from zero to 10 feet in height.
Quote:

Very glad you didn't lose eyesight with the PVC glue. If that hurt as bad as the "glue" smells, you must have been in a lot of pain!

It hurts MUCH worse than the smell!

Quote:

Hmm, somehow I missed this part of your post before. I love McMaster-Carr..... Whoops did I say that out loud?!

Seriously, I buy tons of stuff from them for work (and home) they are usually a bit expensive, but when you can get what you need when you need it... well you know!

In any case, I actually would like the part # if you don't mind. For some reason I can't find it...

Yeah, McMaster is the bomb. I've ordered probably $10k from them! For production supplies, not the cheapest, but they have so many parts easily found on their website that it is a no brainer. Plus shipping to my house is one day and cheap! They are definitely cheaper than buying 6 screws at HD for $1.50.

Click here for part 2495K14 (FLOOR DRAIN BACKFLOW PREVENTER, FITS 4" DRAIN ID)

They have other sizes too.

post #170 of 1242 Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, I don't know why i couldn't find it before. That is actually a pretty good price...

Glad to hear you got the beam up! Looking forward to the pictures... Don"t worry, I won't call the city on you

post #171 of 1242 Old 10-26-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad to help! Don't have the beam up yet... I hope to get it delivered this week.

post #172 of 1242 Old 10-26-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I WANT TO SEE DRYWALL!!!!

Your baby is coming faster than you can possibly know! Better buy some red bull and cigarettes and get crackin! :-D

Seriously though, cant wait to see it finished! Its going to be BOSS!!! people. still say boss right?

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of CanntonĀ 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #173 of 1242 Old 10-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Ahh, misunderstood... Must have been your temp walls you were talking about.

OT, but I think I played my last round of golf for the year (at least in Syracuse) I'll be out of town until Thanksgiving...

post #174 of 1242 Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

Your baby is coming faster than you can possibly know! Better buy some red bull and cigarettes and get crackin! :-D

Seriously though, cant wait to see it finished! Its going to be BOSS!!! people. still say boss right?

I see you use the same stimulants I do Of course, here in the great state of NY a pack goes for about $11 I think it's time to quit.

post #175 of 1242 Old 10-26-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

Ha ha! Drywall will feel like the home stretch for me! I know the baby is coming fast, but I feel like I have it all under control. Plus, I have 12 weeks of paternity leave so I can finish it all up then, right? RIGHT??? I have the support from the baby momma on that, so that's a good thing at least.

I don't know if people say boss anymore, but I like your confidence in me. I need all the encouragement I can get. (I think I can. I think I can.)

After I'm done with mine, I'm going over to your place and finish yours TOO!

Beemer, yes the temp walls are up. That is a good start at least. I like making walls. They are easy and you think you've gotten something accomplished.

Quit the smokes if you can! I'm rooting for ya. You'll have more money for subs, DD/GG and sound absorption.

post #176 of 1242 Old 10-26-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Holy crap! There were zombies on our porch this last weekend! One was mostly pregnant and I think the other must have snuck out of the basement.

post #177 of 1242 Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quit the smokes if you can! I'm rooting for ya. You'll have more money for subs, DD/GG and sound absorption.

Really, if I add up a pack a day that is another car payment every month.....Ugh

post #178 of 1242 Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Zombies are scary! 11 bucks a pack is scarier! I haven't really smoked in years, I enjoy it, but after a pack or two i just start feeling crappy. So i "quit" a long time ago. They say you never quit really...you just extend time periods between cigarettes.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of CanntonĀ 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #179 of 1242 Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

One was mostly pregnant

LOL! Nice pic! But I think you either are or are not pregnant. There's not too much middle ground there. LOL! Nice Build.

To everyone else following this thread: Let's all chant together!......."ROTARY! - ROTARY! - ROTARY!"

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #180 of 1242 Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

LOL! Nice pic! But I think you either are or are not pregnant. There's not too much middle ground there. LOL! Nice Build.

If you notice, the baby is escaping, so therefore....mostly

Quote:

To everyone else following this thread: Let's all chant together!......."ROTARY! - ROTARY! - ROTARY!"

dbl

I hear ya, I hear ya! I gotta do it - just not first. You won't let me forget, will you??

My beam is being delivered tomorrow! Woo hoo!!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page