Everything works! Even though I tested as much as I could along the way there were still chances I had nicked a wire, missed a connection so something just plain stopped working after sitting in a spare bedroom for 6 months. Despite all the potentials for issues, things could not have gone smoother!
I could not have been more excited. I may have even jumped up and down a couple of times, run upstairs to hug and kiss my wife and then run back downstairs to jump up and down a couple of more times.
My equipment is all happy too. I think thats why everything worked on the first try - everything has enough power!
Before, while in use, the voltage would drop from 122.1 down into the 115 range at peak use but now, with the equipment on its own 20A circuit, the lights on their own and the subwoofer with it's own 15A circuit (Well, technically it's the rooms circuit but I don't expect to have much else plugged in there) the draw of the equipment didn't buget the voltage more than .2
Anyway - more on the fun stuff later.
Before all of the jumping and jubilation I had to install the carpet. It arrived Saturday and, much to my surprise, was not all that heavy. It actually wasn't hard to take downstairs - it's about time something didn't strain my back or explode my thumb on the way down!
The carpet tiles were pretty easy to install but the back of the 'peel and stick' tiles was not sticky. At most it was tacky. This might be fine for hard surfaces like concrete or going over a laminate floor but there was not much adhesion to the OSB on the Dricore. I had enough staples (and a couple of small nails) to do the stage and the corners of the floor Saturday. I went ahead and finished the rest of the lower floor that night but the riser would have to wait until after my 937th trip to Lowes in the morning - thats when I decided to hook everything up and give it a whirl
After I got some carpet tacks (The stapes didn't go through as far as I would like) I completed the riser. I am really happy about how the lip and the door frame turned out
The lip was a bit of a pain with all the needed staples to keep the look uniform and the door frame was by far the most time intensive section of carpet. I had to make the cut for the door frame, the steps and where the wall opens up into the room (it goes to the left of the door in the picture below)
(Note my awesome seating!)
You can see some seams in the carpet but I did lay them off center of eachother so it kind of looks like a design. Hopefully once I vacuum it they will be less noticeable but I can't complain about the installation price - about $5 worth of tacks and staples. I may have missed a piece or two so it will be interesting to see if any tiles come up when I vacuum them
The front around the sump pump lid was a bit tough as I needed a short filler piece in order to get one entire peice to cover the lid (so there are two carpet joints right next to eachother) but in the grand scheme of things it will be pretty hard to see when the lights are on and it invisible when the lights are off
Here is my super awesome projector mount using two pieces of door hardware
The HDMI cable I ran through the ceiling actually ended up being a tad short to run nicely along the mount - more due to the inflexibility of the cable than run length. At least you wont be able to see it, even from the back row as the idea throw distance for my projector places it above the heads of the back row (Please don't fall down projector!) Maybe its actually a good thing I got this mount - the 4 attachment mount is ~2" lower and right now I can just pass under the projector without hitting it. 2" would mean I would have to duck. There might be some slight balance issues (One bracket had to go below the other) that I'll fix with some washers if I can't get the image perfectly straight when futzing with the projector settings
Now, of course since everything works, I had to throw in my first movie. The selection was pre-determined by tradition
(The picture doesn't do it justice)
Star Wars Ep III was the first movie I watched on my first big screen TV. Then - since whatever else you think about George Lucas you have to admit the video and audio quality of his releases ranks up there (and this was pre blu-ray) it was my first movie for my HTiB. It continued on through progressively better 'real' speakers and subwoofers along with a new TV and finally my projector - so of course it has to be the first movie now! (And so on and so on)
And - I don't know about anyone else but the THX intro just gives me goose bumps. BrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW
(Yay for bad photography!)
The first impressions were excellent. It was nice to have a completely dark room in the middle of the day. The surround sound from my new ERD-1s was excellent. I also don't need to turn up the volume as high. The room is still a tad echo-y and there are some bass issue to address. (The really build up in the corners but are lacking in the center of the room)
Fortunately I found someone willing to buy my kidney so I now have enough money to build at least two bass traps in the front corners of the room. A local place sells the Thermafiber SAFB which according to Bob Gold isn't quite as good as OC703 but at 1/3 the price it should (hopefully) do quite well. I picked up a pack of that and some 1x3 furring strips to make 2x4x~8' bass trap. I am going to lay a 2" thick panel vertically across the corners - completing the triangle if that makes sense, instead of stacking the pieces on top of eachother. I know it won't be as affective but it is cheaper. Jo Ann is also having a sale on their fabrics so I'll be getting that this week too. Then it's more treatment as needed/budget allows
Still a lot of work to do but its nice to have my stuff setup and working again!