The 'I can't believe you want the largest room in the house' HT build.1 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 1003 Old 10-09-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I thought about doing a big portion of the ceiling with Fidelio black velvet but that isn't cheap either.

So hopefully your black will work and save me some money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1003 Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 AM
s-f

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Have to respectfully disagree. There are numerous insulation products available that claim to be fire resistant but the truth is very different.

Most combustibility tests (including the Oz ones) do not include actually putting a naked flame to the product. Most are done with a radiant panel held off the sample. Many products can pass this test but go up in flames if exposed to direct flame.

By way of background I do this for a living and typically purchase insulation materials by the 10's of thousands of m2.

Also the other problem with chemically treated products is that the chemicals leach out over time and the fire performance can worsen dramatically.

I fail to see why anyone would risk these products when glasswool and rockwool are very cheap, last literally for ever, and are inherently fire resistant.

I too work with insulation.

Check out the video on this page. If that isn't fireproof I don't know what is.
www DOT celluspray DOT net/ (I can't post URL's until I have 3 posts)

I have a boat load of lab data which also demonstrates this also.

Maybe cellulose is made differently down under?
post #273 of 1003 Old 10-09-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi there SF. I am finding that everything is different over here compared to the US. And more expensive. insulation is probably the same. I think the point Peter raised was that over time, the fire retardant chemical's effectiveness diminishes. That being the case, mine probably is flammable on some level, but then again so is the timber frame of my home. And the timber floors etc. I am being really careful with electrical connections so should be right. I live in a bushfire affected area but my home generally is not within the flame zone. Having said that, fires ate extremely unpredictable.

On another note, my drywall arrived this morning at 7.15. Ever wondered what 3500 pounds of drywall looks like??? Heavy stuff. Despite the fact that delivery was included, the guys earned a six pack of Coopers Finest Pale ale each for lugging it inside. Small price to pay! Glad I didn't have to do that!
LL
LL

Follow my thread here
post #274 of 1003 Old 10-09-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I dont know how much Gyprock is but I figured 3500 lbs would have been more. WOW. I guess when I do my room there will be even more weight than I thought.

How much noise did the floor make when the 3500lbs was placed on it?

Wool and steel are fire retardant but with enough heat it doesn't matter.

Is this 3500lbs just for the ceiling or no? I couldn't tell by the pic but aren't you doing double drywall GG? I kinda thought your pile would be bigger.
post #275 of 1003 Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wow Greg, you're making great progress. Wanted to call you on the weekend but it ended up really busy, between watching us scrape past the Boks in the rugby, Bathurst, F1 and yesterday we spent a while at the house with our kitchen and cabinet guy.

I'm a little disappointed though in the tidiness of your work site ... can't you do better than that !!

I'm still chasing down a contact at CSR / Bradford where I should be able to buy direct, so I'll let you know ASAP.

Next weekend we're away or I would have loved to have helped with all that gyprock.

I'm also waiting on some samples from RIM. I've decided that the GOM colours just don't suit my scheme, and the Trilogy 1 has a lot more to my liking.

Cheers,
post #276 of 1003 Old 10-09-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-f View Post

I too work with insulation.

Check out the video on this page. If that isn't fireproof I don't know what is.
www DOT celluspray DOT net/ (I can't post URL's until I have 3 posts)

I have a boat load of lab data which also demonstrates this also.

Maybe cellulose is made differently down under?

That's a great video, bit I reckon the stuff in Greg's roof won't perform that well. Do they have any tests of 20-30 year old material ?

Greg, have you tried putting a flame to any of the stuff you've pulled out ?
post #277 of 1003 Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Bathurst

how good was the race! my horse came in second, but those last 10 laps were just awesome, best race I've watched in years.

....been watching it 20 years now, the first year was when Skaife won in the GTR

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #278 of 1003 Old 10-09-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

how good was the race! my horse came in second, but those last 10 laps were just awesome, best race I've watched in years.

....been watching it 20 years now, the first year was when Skaife won in the GTR

Didn't get as much time to watch as I would have liked, but caught the end during half time in the rugby, and you're right ... the last few laps were amazing. I half expected Lowndes to nudge Tander out of the way on the very last lap !!

BTW ... I go back to the Moffat / Brock days.
post #279 of 1003 Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Was awesome to watch the Rugby match F1 in one day. Great day for basic TV(digital). Couldn't ask for more legally. LOL
post #280 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

I dont know how much Gyprock is but I figured 3500 lbs would have been more. WOW. I guess when I do my room there will be even more weight than I thought.

How much noise did the floor make when the 3500lbs was placed on it?

Wool and steel are fire retardant but with enough heat it doesn't matter.

Is this 3500lbs just for the ceiling or no? I couldn't tell by the pic but aren't you doing double drywall GG? I kinda thought your pile would be bigger.

G'day David,
I am doing double drywall with Green Glue, clips and insulation. Double drywall on the ceiling and walls and double flooring. Hopefully that will go some way in keeping the neighbors onside!

I guess the pile doesn't look so big but those sheets are 2.7 and 3 metres long x 1.2 wide. 52 sheets in total. Room is not massive, being 6 metres x 4.5 or thereabouts. The floor didn't groan half as much as the guys carrying it! They don't like Fyrchek much!

My son thinks he may have found a new playground.

Cheers

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #281 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a great video, bit I reckon the stuff in Greg's roof won't perform that well. Do they have any tests of 20-30 year old material ?

Greg, have you tried putting a flame to any of the stuff you've pulled out ?

Hey Pete,

Being that my house is insured for more than it's worth, I dare not admit putting a flame to anything at my place

Follow my thread here
post #282 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow Greg, you're making great progress. Wanted to call you on the weekend but it ended up really busy, between watching us scrape past the Boks in the rugby, Bathurst, F1 and yesterday we spent a while at the house with our kitchen and cabinet guy.

I'm a little disappointed though in the tidiness of your work site ... can't you do better than that !!

I'm still chasing down a contact at CSR / Bradford where I should be able to buy direct, so I'll let you know ASAP.

Next weekend we're away or I would have loved to have helped with all that gyprock.

I'm also waiting on some samples from RIM. I've decided that the GOM colours just don't suit my scheme, and the Trilogy 1 has a lot more to my liking.

Cheers,

Hi there Peter,

I am dealing with Katherine R from RIM. She has been fantastic and so helpful. I really like the Trilogy One colours as well but when I saw the Bronze and Brushed Gild in the Metallix range, I kinda stopped looking. The Trilogy range is fairly well priced as well. PM me your address and I can send you the price list if you don't have it. Which colours do you like? I actually liked the aubergine / charcoal colours in the first instance but the Metallix just looked that little smarter to me.

Thanks very much with the offer of Gyprocking. Seems like you may just be in luck! No work next weekend but will be getting into it the week after. How generous of you to offer Seeing that you won't be going away that weekend! LOL

Believe me, the worksite doesn't always look that great, however I have been making an effort to keep it tidy. Makes it so much easier to find tools when there isn't garbage everywhere. Nice not to be breathing in all the dust as well!

That would be great on the Ultratel. Would be worth seeing what your inside sources come up with! Even the guys who dropped off my gyprock this morning told me I should have found someone in the know for better pricing. In any case, I shopped and saved a good whack on RRP so I am happy with what I have paid.

Went to Bunnings today and bought some lighting cable, cable clips, expanding foam for filling the gaps near the wall and some other bits and bobs. That place does very well out of me. Will do some wiring tomorrow... too tired tonight after a very full weekend of sport, BBQ's and celebrating the Wallabies getting up (much against the run of play mind you!).

Call anytime mate. No problems.

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #283 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Well looking at the other pics suddenly it does look like a lot of gyprock. I hope I can get a good price in the future also because the quotes I got from gyprock are not the best for budget. PLUS I didn't know I was going to be doing everything myself when it comes to construction of the room.

I haven't a clue but when the time comes I will be building everything except the electrical. Sounds scary but there are threads like these so I can learn and try to minimize waste.
post #284 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Well looking at the other pics suddenly it does look like a lot of gyprock. I hope I can get a good price in the future also because the quotes I got from gyprock are not the best for budget. PLUS I didn't know I was going to be doing everything myself when it comes to construction of the room.

I haven't a clue but when the time comes I will be building everything except the electrical. Sounds scary but there are threads like these so I can learn and try to minimize waste.

Hi David, believe me mate, I am on a very steep learning curve with all of this build. Even though I have been planning this for years, now that it's happening there are just so many choices to make and each one has a bit of a follow on effect. Still, I am really enjoying the process so far... It's been fun.

I found with gyprock it certainly pays to shop.... Saved a few hundred dollars on the next best price. That's money better off in my pocket. Even though I read all the handbooks by Warren S from AVS, read and re read all the online guides and lurked here for years, you never quite now what you are going to find. Or how much it will cost! I guess you may be a bit different being a new build.

Have a read over the Bacon Race theatre build. Big Mouth is looking after that build and he has an amazing amount of knowledge. Also check out Tony123, who is a great guy and has a build that is coming along awesome! In the mean time, I hope I can help you with my somewhat minimal knowledge.

Cheers

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #285 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Greg, looking at that pile I don't think you have enough beer to get your mates to help you hang it. What are your plans?
post #286 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

G'day Big,
Yes, it is a fairly substantial pile of drywall. I am the first to admit that I have not hung more than a couple of sheets before.... Have plenty of experience tearing it down! A friend has done a lot of renovations and drywalling. He and another mate are going to give me a weekend. We figured that as the walls will be lined with fabric, there is little need to spend time taping, mudding, sanding, finishing etc. Will just caulk it all up. I would love to contract the job out but it was going to cost a lot. The cheapest quote would gave been somewhere between 1-2 thousand and the dearest was 8k. Strangely enough he didn't get a call back as I assumed he didn't want the work. I don't want to use a contractor if I can avoid it, as I want to make sure that the GG is done properly etc etc. My strategy.... Maybe more beer and pizza?

Follow my thread here
post #287 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

. My strategy.... Maybe more beer and pizza?

I'll be right over...

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #288 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ted,

I'll get the Hooters girls in for those making a longer journey... Least I can do!

Follow my thread here
post #289 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
You Aussies are so accommodating!

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #290 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Beer, Pizza, Hooters Girls, I'm booking my flight. Damelon can finish his own theater.
post #291 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
It's empty promises guys....I've been catering to this guy for years and not a single pizza or beer yet.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #292 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More the merrier Big and Ted.... Come on down. I must warn you though that we drink real beer down here... Stuff that has some taste and actually fulfills it's intended purpose. Never failed me yet. Apart from Samuel Adams I never could get a taste for the beer state side. The Hooters girls will probably be the same classy ladies you have in your parts! I'm sure you could get a leave pass!

Follow my thread here
post #293 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Oh, and I love the photo of Little Greg. Looks like it's an adventure for him!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #294 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More the merrier Big and Ted.... Come on down. I must warn you though that we drink real beer down here... Stuff that has some taste and actually fulfills it's intended purpose. Never failed me yet. Apart from Samuel Adams I never could get a taste for the beer state side. The Hooters girls will probably be the same classy ladies you have in your parts! I'm sure you could get a leave pass!

Follow my thread here
post #295 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

It's empty promises guys....I've been catering to this guy for years and not a single pizza or beer yet.

There you go Tony.... Same old story. It's little wonder you don't play well with others! I showed my appreciation for your efforts by sending you the Australian Classic DVD 'Gallipoli' and you fell asleep and badmouthed it from pillar to post. I just can't win with you!!!!! Try to share some culture and broaden your horizons and you just smash me.
Tell you what... Finish your theatre within 5 years and I will shout pizza and beers.
Surely you can finish within 5 years???? I mean, in that time, Obama would have been voted in (and voted out), democracy has come to the middle east, the USA has slipped from economic superpower to being just under Haiti, your kids will no longer have ages in the single digits and I will be watching movies in my completed theatre. The challenge has been issued.

Follow my thread here
post #296 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ouch! That's ^^^ gonna leave a mark!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #297 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Oh, and I love the photo of Little Greg. Looks like it's an adventure for him!

Hey there Tony,
He has had a ball playing on the pile of gyprock. Going to be a shame to hang the drywall from his perspective!
It's amazing how fast they grow. Those pyjamas were new just 6 months ago and now I realise from the photo that the sleeves are too short. Blink and you miss it!
To be honest, Tom is so excited to be helping in what has become known as the 'Tommy Eddie Cinema' or, in the words of Thomas, the 'Tomeee Edddeee Thinema'. Being that his middle name is Edward and that I have told him that I am building him his own cinema, he can't wait. Every Friday night when he arrives he runs straight in to see what has been done that week, with lots of wows and aahhs! Makes you realise that the really important stuff is all the small things, normally right under your nose. The big stuff really doesn't matter.
So, I have a feeling that this theatre will be named the Tommy Eddie Cinema. Kinda has a nice ring to it.

Follow my thread here
post #298 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Ouch! That's ^^^ gonna leave a mark!

Hey there Hanes, where have you been mate???? Missed your witty repertoire

Follow my thread here
post #299 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Twin Peaks girls would be ok also.

5 years......I think I was looking at a slightly shorter time frame on mine. Although Tony's is, I thought, 90% done.
post #300 of 1003 Old 10-10-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

I'll get the Hooters girls in for those making a longer journey... Least I can do!

Are you east or west of the Pacific Hwy ... west of it is my definition of a long journey
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page