The 'I can't believe you want the largest room in the house' HT build.1 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 1008 Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Not sure how many subscribers I have and I don't know how to tell but apart from those who chime in occasionally, seems to be about 4 regulars.

OK then it's not me being dense ... good to know. It's a shame there's not a way to see how many have subscribed ... but I guess that would turn into a pissing contest !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1008 Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Like face book and friends. LOL
post #363 of 1008 Old 10-25-2011, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

BTW ... how do you find the subscribers list ? Wanted to look at my own thread and I'll be buggered if I can figure out how to do it !!!

lol i was searching and wondering how he knew how many he had too i just wasnt gonna say anything
post #364 of 1008 Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 PM

Liked: 13
Well I just spent the last few days reading your whole thread from start to finish, as before I had only scanned it. Quite a journey, and the later pictures of the window being left and covered up, where before I was scratching my head thinking WTF, I now understand the method to the madness. Great documentation, and wonderful to read about your life, little boy, dog, deck, etc, during the journey, and not just some guy building a room.

Quote:

Its made easier with the lift.... Much easier. Hold off on the purchase of another lift mate. Mine may be for sale soon! I won't be doing any more drywalling soon.

Let me know how you go, and if you need it again, as I would be interested in it. Even though I do take notice of your warnings, I'd still like to give it a go myself.

Quote:

Like Peter said, I chose Fyrchek over the soundchek purely for economic reasons and also that it is pretty much as good. Coupled with clips and GG, I had no need for extra. What Peter said about the paper is right as well. The Gyprock paper is pretty fragile. No biggie for me but if you are painting, a thicker paper would be better. My supplier can be contacted at adrian@pbsplasterboard.com.au. He was really helpful and it was the best price by far. Cost was about 1400-1500 for double skinning the room. Forget Bunnings... Way too expensive!

Would you mind breaking that down, as I know you had 52 sheets of 3m and 2.7m x 1.2m. How many of each? I guess I'm still tossing up to see whether the Fyrchek is worth it over standard 16mm, as I'll be hanging it and painting, so the thinner paper might not be worth it.

You must of got lucky with your Harvey Norman batts, as I see they don't sell them at all anymore online. 2.0 Bradford will have to do for me, although I still need somewhere other then Bunnings to source them.

Quote:

Where in Sydney are you?

Not too close to you North Shore guys, I'm in NorthWest Sydney, up in Rouse Hill. Not exactly in the position to drop by and give you a hand like Pete M can. Probably an hour away up the M2. Funnily enough we already have 2 Pete's in the thread, so I'm going to add another. My name is Pete M as well The American's will start thinking we all share the same names over here.
post #365 of 1008 Old 10-26-2011, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSly View Post

Well I just spent the last few days reading your whole thread from start to finish, as before I had only scanned it. Quite a journey, and the later pictures of the window being left and covered up, where before I was scratching my head thinking WTF, I now understand the method to the madness. Great documentation, and wonderful to read about your life, little boy, dog, deck, etc, during the journey, and not just some guy building a room.

Let me know how you go, and if you need it again, as I would be interested in it. Even though I do take notice of your warnings, I'd still like to give it a go myself.

Would you mind breaking that down, as I know you had 52 sheets of 3m and 2.7m x 1.2m. How many of each? I guess I'm still tossing up to see whether the Fyrchek is worth it over standard 16mm, as I'll be hanging it and painting, so the thinner paper might not be worth it.

You must of got lucky with your Harvey Norman batts, as I see they don't sell them at all anymore online. 2.0 Bradford will have to do for me, although I still need somewhere other then Bunnings to source them.

Not too close to you North Shore guys, I'm in NorthWest Sydney, up in Rouse Hill. Not exactly in the position to drop by and give you a hand like Pete M can. Probably an hour away up the M2. Funnily enough we already have 2 Pete's in the thread, so I'm going to add another. My name is Pete M as well The American's will start thinking we all share the same names over here.

G'day Peter. We are going to need to do something about this pressing problem pertaining to the proliferation of people with P names!

Thanks for your comments. It has been quite a journey to get to this point... Frustrating at times, liberating at other times! Mostly it's good. I re read my posts the other week. It really has been a fairly interesting ride.

Rouse hill is not so far away. I lived in Quakers hill for a short time in 1994.... Long enough to get burgled but you get that anywhere these days. Very different now than back then!

With regards to the batts, check out Harvey Norman Big Buys in Auburn. They are on Parramatta Rd and had a stack of insulation when I bought mine.

I will let you know about the drywall lift. I feel sure that I won't need it again. I will drop you a line when the work is finished at my place.

For my gyprock, it was all 16mm Fyrchek. I had 36 sheets of the 2.7x1.2 metre pieces for the walls and 16 pieces of the 3m x 1.2 m for the ceiling. Price included delivery and carrying the materials to where you want them. Pretty happy with the service. Please don't misunderstand.... The product is pretty good. I think that the paper is a little thinner than the BGC product. Having said that, you can always skim with some topcoat and sand/paint for a great finish.

Don't worry about what the Americans think of us.... The wrote us off years ago!

Cheers for now.

Follow my thread here
post #366 of 1008 Old 10-27-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSly View Post

Funnily enough we already have 2 Pete's in the thread, so I'm going to add another. My name is Pete M as well The American's will start thinking we all share the same names over here.

It's a good thing I got to AVS first and grabbed Peter M before all you pretenders showed up !!

Talking of many Peters ... I'm off to a 30 year school reunion tomorrow night ... out of about 50 guys in Y12 we had 8 Peters !!
post #367 of 1008 Old 10-27-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats ok I know some others around here not named Peter LOL. Like Skippy.
post #368 of 1008 Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hope your reunion went well Peter. 30 years.... Old fart! Don't worry, I'm not that far behind you.

Well karma looks like it's caught up with me. All that fun up here has come with a cost.... Bloody Qantas has ruined the best laid plans. Going to be stuck in Darwin until at least Wednesday at this point. That means more work up here. If we can't get a flight, I will be pushing for a 3800km road trip. Would live to see the Red Centre! Oh, and get paid for the privilege!
To be honest, getting a bit tired of living in a hotel room. Would like to get home, see family and friends and get stuck back into the build. Driving would take four days solid so if that's the only option, may leave Wed morning and get back to Sydney Friday or Saturday. Keen to return to the real world before my liver packs it in!
Greg
Darwin at Dawn....Not a bad view from the room!
LL

Follow my thread here
post #369 of 1008 Old 10-29-2011, 08:24 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:

Driving would take four days solid so if that's the only option, may leave Wed morning and get back to Sydney Friday or Saturday.

For some reason the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles comes to mind for this contemplated road trip. Have you considered rounding up a group and chartering a plane? Or bus?
post #370 of 1008 Old 10-29-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

For some reason the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles comes to mind for this contemplated road trip. Have you considered rounding up a group and chartering a plane? Or bus?

Hey there Big,
The thought of that movie had crossed my mind.... One of John Candy's finest films! There are 8 of us working up here at the moment. One is leaving tomorrow on another airline but the other 7 of us could get a mini bus. Not sure if work would pay for a charter plane but as there is only one flight per day to this location, I imagine that this would be hard to organise. The qantas management and unions are meeting later today. It still could be a few days before flights resume here. It's not all bad. Day off today so going to a crocodile farm and then maybe do some shopping. First day off in a week so looking forward to seeing a bit of the town. Darwin is a bit of a frontier town.
Qantas is still my favorite airline so I won't complain too much.

Follow my thread here
post #371 of 1008 Old 10-30-2011, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hope your reunion went well Peter. 30 years.... Old fart! Don't worry, I'm not that far behind you.

Thanks Greg ... it was a blast ... crawled into bed at 3am and then had the young one at nippers by 9, followed by my regular Sunday morning ocean swim ... does a hangover make the water seem colder ... it was bloody freezing this morning, overcast and a few showers ... thank goodness for the steamer !!

BTW Greg, I think I need help ... when I heard the Q news you were the first person I thought of !!!

Hope the return trip doesn't end up being too painful. If you do the road trip, write it up for Top Gear !!

Cheers,
post #372 of 1008 Old 10-30-2011, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Thanks Greg ... it was a blast ... crawled into bed at 3am and then had the young one at nippers by 9, followed by my regular Sunday morning ocean swim ... does a hangover make the water seem colder ... it was bloody freezing this morning, overcast and a few showers ... thank goodness for the steamer !!

BTW Greg, I think I need help ... when I heard the Q news you were the first person I thought of !!!

Hope the return trip doesn't end up being too painful. If you do the road trip, write it up for Top Gear !!

Cheers,

I love the Northern Territory!

LL

Follow my thread here
post #373 of 1008 Old 10-30-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Pity it's not mph !!!
post #374 of 1008 Old 10-30-2011, 07:54 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 537
I've lived long enough and traveled enough to have enjoyed the good old days, Unfortunately most rental cars started to shake at around 100.

of course then there is the autobahn. Last time I was in Germany I was typically going around 90-100 in my rented VW and Beamers were flying by me on a regular basis.
post #375 of 1008 Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The good old days are still alive and well in the Middle East, where the authorities have a comparatively relaxed attitude to speeding. I had a '91 Porsche 964 C4 Targa, and 130mph was a regular weekend drive !!

Now I'm back in the real world where more than 45kph over the posted limit may well end in jail. Our raods are very safe but incredibly boring. Aussie drivers have basically been fined into submission.
post #376 of 1008 Old 10-30-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I've lived long enough and traveled enough to have enjoyed the good old days, Unfortunately most rental cars started to shake at around 100.

of course then there is the autobahn. Last time I was in Germany I was typically going around 90-100 in my rented VW and Beamers were flying by me on a regular basis.

Gotta laugh... Reasonable and prudent. Can't even begin to imagine the court proceedings.

Follow my thread here
post #377 of 1008 Old 10-30-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

At the risk of being kicked off the forum, I couldn't resist the following, being that I am in crocodile territory.....
LL
LL

Follow my thread here
post #378 of 1008 Old 10-30-2011, 09:38 PM

Liked: 10
I just finished reading your year long thread and I have to say I'm very impressed with your progress. You have way more patience then I do. But I can't wait to see the final outcome. I myself just recently started looking for some oldies but goodies. I used to own a paradigm system that when I was gone on travel was stolen. So now i'm on a hunt to purchase new or trusty old paradigm speakers. And complete a home theater. Just wanted to say good luck on your completion.
RayRay from KS
post #379 of 1008 Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRaysGS430 View Post

I just finished reading your year long thread and I have to say I'm very impressed with your progress. You have way more patience then I do. But I can't wait to see the final outcome. I myself just recently started looking for some oldies but goodies. I used to own a paradigm system that when I was gone on travel was stolen. So now i'm on a hunt to purchase new or trusty old paradigm speakers. And complete a home theater. Just wanted to say good luck on your completion.
RayRay from KS

Hey there Ray Ray,
Thanks for the email. Not sure if it's patience, stupidity or just plain stubbornness on my part! In the end, if I have a theater half as nice as the others on this forum I will be thrilled! It's been nice to have something to work towards and to be honest, it's been the first part of the renovation process that I have enjoyed.
Sorry to hear about your Paradigm equipment. I have listened to some paradigm gear before but it was a little out of my budget at the time. Let me know if you start a build thread so I can follow along. This is a fantastic place of learning..... And learning how to spend lots of money!
Cheers
Greg.

Follow my thread here
post #380 of 1008 Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank God, home time at last....
After being in Darwin on a work trip for the past 10 days I am at the airport waiting for the flight. Last night, we had one last meal out. For the first time in my life my eyes were bigger than my belly (hard to believe but true!). Attempted the 800 gram steak. Mother of God! End result was I couldn't finish my salad.
Bought my boy an Annakin Skywalker lightsaber toy, only to have airport security classify it as a dangerous weapon. The world has gone mad. Managed to sweet-talk the QANTAS check in lady who put it through... Otherwise it would have been a 30 dollar charge on a 48 dollar toy. Seriously, I just can't imagine doing too much damage on a flight with a lightsaber!
Anyway, here are some photos.
LL

Follow my thread here
post #381 of 1008 Old 11-02-2011, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Welcome home my friend! My kids have the cheaper plastic LS. I'm going to have to ramp it up and get the one that airport security puts their efforts against! LOL Hey, is that the one that lights up? I've got to get two of those for Xmas this year.

So now that you're back, we can expect progress!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #382 of 1008 Old 11-02-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey mate.... Home at last. Not surprisingly, have not eaten All day and still full! That can't be a good thing!
Yes, it is the Hasbro Annakin Skywalker ultimate fx lightsaber. 49 bucks over here and lights up. I got the blue one but you can get the Darth Vader model in red should you be in an evil mood and have a large set of cahunas like James Earl Jones with that deep voice of his! Sound effects are awesome.
Now that I am home I will try to get back into things. Will see how I go tomorrow. Need to mow an overgrown lawn first and then might get a chance to get a few things done. Been away 10 days!
Sure am glad to be home.... I really did miss the drywall dust. Everything else just seems so.... Clean!
Cheers.
Greg

Follow my thread here
post #383 of 1008 Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank God, home time at last....
After being in Darwin on a work trip for the past 10 days I am at the airport waiting for the flight. Last night, we had one last meal out. For the first time in my life my eyes were bigger than my belly (hard to believe but true!). Attempted the 800 gram steak. Mother of God! End result was I couldn't finish my salad.
Bought my boy an Annakin Skywalker lightsaber toy, only to have airport security classify it as a dangerous weapon. The world has gone mad. Managed to sweet-talk the QANTAS check in lady who put it through... Otherwise it would have been a 30 dollar charge on a 48 dollar toy. Seriously, I just can't imagine doing too much damage on a flight with a lightsaber!
Anyway, here are some photos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI0i_tL-8aU
Lightsabers can be dangerous.
post #384 of 1008 Old 11-02-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey David, been a long time since I have seen that movie. Still funny all these years later. Dumb, but funny!
You mean I could have saved myself all that money and hassles with airport security???? The Schwartz was always in me??? Now for the deep voice!

Follow my thread here
post #385 of 1008 Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know you guys aren't going to believe me as I didn't take photos but I did get the first layer of drywall completed today. Half down.... Half to go. There is a small panel still to do above the door frame and a fiddly piece down the side of the architrave but I am pretty happy that I knocked over the rest.... With help from my Dad. Was nice to have him come over and help. Have a few gaps to seal up with silent seal but hopefully that won't be too painful.... Or am I bring overly optimistic????
Peter M is joining me tomorrow morning to take a Green Glue Communion, or baptism by fire... So that will be nice to catch up and share the fun and fumes together.
Will post some photos after we finish tomorrow.
Cheers all. Been a long day... I'm going to bed!

Follow my thread here
post #386 of 1008 Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm impressed! One of the regrets in my room is that the subs cause some rattles that (best I can tell) are coming from my sheetrock. If I were you, I'd tighten up the spacing on drywall screws beyond what is typical. Of course, you have two layers and I don't...so maybe the mass alone will quiet the walls?

Construction Thread
post #387 of 1008 Old 11-04-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tony. I have done what I can with tightening the screws. Can't put them in too far as they will break through the drywall and lose purchase. If I could offer just one piece of advice when screwing drywall into channel, use your chalk line and snap a good guide. I was lazy a few times, dumb a few more and tired on others. I now have holes where I got it wrong.
It's amazing now the walls and ceiling are up how live the room is. Plenty of slap echo. I know it will settle down with correct treatments but with many of the uneven walls and different textures it wasn't a big issue before. Oh, and my room is now pink. Nice!

Follow my thread here
post #388 of 1008 Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't mean tighten the screws themselves. I meant tighten up the spacing. I assume you're spacing is roughly every 16"? Mine was. If I did my room over, I'd screw it every 8". Sounds like overkill, but those Danleys will find anything that's not buckled down.

Again, your channels and double layer may solve that concern?

Construction Thread
post #389 of 1008 Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I think with the dual sheetrock and green glue you should be fine. But that being said I think overkill is always a good thing.

I know someday when I get started on my build I will need the overkill. With my subs I am sure I will find all weak points.
post #390 of 1008 Old 11-05-2011, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Welcome home my friend! My kids have the cheaper plastic LS. I'm going to have to ramp it up and get the one that airport security puts their efforts against! LOL Hey, is that the one that lights up? I've got to get two of those for Xmas this year.

So now that you're back, we can expect progress!

Here you are Tony,

The light saber went down a treat. Sad, but I enjoy playing with it as well. Sounds awesome!

Definitely one for the Santa list!

Follow my thread here
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page