The 'I can't believe you want the largest room in the house' HT build.1 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 1008 Old 11-24-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Might even open MW2!

Mate! you have to get MW3 it rocks

....as an aside, are you an xbox or playstation man? if xbox let me kow, we'll play spec ops

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1008 Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey Pete, I saw it the other day for 60 bucks. Bought 100 bucks worth of black paint instead. Probably a good thing... Haven't even taken MW2 out of the wrapper yet! If I start I will never get my theatre finished. Ahhhhhh, I know your game..... Your trying to slow me down so that you don't get the wooden spoon! Cheap ploy that!

Follow my thread here
post #453 of 1008 Old 11-24-2011, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MW3 pretty much dominates. I play on PS3. I'll have to cut back once we move into the house and the HT takes priority.

Cory

The BAMA Theatre Build - feedback welcomed encouraged needed badly
post #454 of 1008 Old 11-25-2011, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Mate! you have to get MW3 it rocks

....as an aside, are you an xbox or playstation man? if xbox let me kow, we'll play spec ops

Hey there Pete. I bought an xbox years ago when Halo first came out. Played that game to death. Kinda stopped gaming for a while and then sold the xbox fully chipped. Ended up buying a PS3 mainly for the blu ray function. Enjoy games but since Thomas came along I don't have an awful lot if time to play them. Once the theatre is built, I will get them up and running again. Mmmmmm, modern warfare with two Danleys and a 135 inch screen. Could be fun!

Follow my thread here
post #455 of 1008 Old 11-25-2011, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice View Post

MW3 pretty much dominates. I play on PS3. I'll have to cut back once we move into the house and the HT takes priority.

Cory

Sounds like a purchase after Christmas. Modern warfare 1 was the most awesome game. I will definitely get MW2 out this week. I can only guess how good the third one will be. Looking forward to it.

Follow my thread here
post #456 of 1008 Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a purchase after Christmas. Modern warfare 1 was the most awesome game. I will definitely get MW2 out this week. I can only guess how good the third one will be. Looking forward to it.

ive got mw2 and never opened it. I play Mortal alot but the shooter games i seemed to have missed the bus on. after i catch up i guess MW3 is only the right thing to do lol
post #457 of 1008 Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I pretty much gave up gaming when I left uni ... Galaga rocks !!!
post #458 of 1008 Old 11-26-2011, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

For those in Sydney, you will know how bad the weather has been. Woke up at 6am this morning to the sound of torrential rain. Checking the weather forecast for my holiday destination 5 hours drive away.... local flooding. I sure can pick em!

Anyway, by about 11am had given up any hope of heading off so I decided to get back into the theatre to do some of the flooring. Wasn't quite as hard as I thought it was going to be. The tongue and groove went together reasonably well and on the recommendation of Peter M, I left some space between the walls and the flooring which will be later filled with acoustic caulk. You can see the shims that I used in some of the photos. Where I couldn't get the tongue and groove all the way in I will also caulk up the narrow gaps for some extra isolation.

Managed to get about 10 of the boards down and I will need to order another 5. That includes Green Gluing and screwing the two layers together. I have used about 1/2 of my second last bucket so I think I should end up with a bucket of Green Glue left. Worked out pretty well. Finished about 5pm and a few beers later, i was pretty pleased with my work.

Anyway, here are some photos, starting with one of the tins of Taubmans black paint. The guy at Bunnings asked me what I wanted it for. When I explained it all to him, he gave me that usual Blank Bunnings Stare and probably thought I was a lunatic. "Why do you want to paint your walls black?". Never mind, here's your money!

Man, that paint is dark!

So, that's all my progress for a week or so. Unless I see an ark floating by in the morning, I am definitely off for a break.

Cheers all.

Follow my thread here
post #459 of 1008 Old 11-26-2011, 02:40 AM

Looking good, sir.

The BAMA Theatre Build - feedback welcomed encouraged needed badly
post #460 of 1008 Old 11-26-2011, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice View Post

Looking good, sir.

Thank's Cory. What's going on with your build. The last activity I saw you involved in was checking the dumpster for empty Green Glue tubes. When I get back I expect some progress mate!

Follow my thread here
post #461 of 1008 Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Tidy, makes it look smaller

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #462 of 1008 Old 11-26-2011, 03:40 AM

Liked: 13
Wow, that is dark! Good to see some progress on the HT, not much else to do when it's constantly raining outside! For 3 weekends I've wanted to rip off tiles and get into the roof cavity to do some wiring, but alas the weather has not allowed it.

Hope the skys turn for your holiday mate, will drop in and see you next weekend.
Cheers,
post #463 of 1008 Old 11-26-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tidy, makes it look smaller

Hey Pete,
It's the black... It's a very slimming colour
Funny thing is, it looks smaller in the photos but actually looks larger in person.
In any case, it looks tidier. The floor is really solid to walk on. No creaking floorboards!

Follow my thread here
post #464 of 1008 Old 11-26-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSly View Post

Wow, that is dark! Good to see some progress on the HT, not much else to do when it's constantly raining outside! For 3 weekends I've wanted to rip off tiles and get into the roof cavity to do some wiring, but alas the weather has not allowed it.

Hope the skys turn for your holiday mate, will drop in and see you next weekend.
Cheers,

Thanks Pete,
Just before 6.30am here and it looks a lot brighter outside. Hopefully you have some fine weather this week to get your wiring in. How about a build thread???? I mean, if I can get pictures of paint cans you can surely get a thread together!!!
Looking forward to catching up with you next weekend. Cheers. Greg

Follow my thread here
post #465 of 1008 Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last day of holidays and back to reality tomorrow. As nice as it is to sleep in, swim in beautiful pools, enjoy BBQs every night and relax it's time to get home.... I have a theatre to build.
Need to finish my floor which means more timber. I will purchase my stage timber at the same time, as well as the ply sheeting for both the stage and riser tops. I am just building a basic stage and was contemplating it being about 4 foot deep and 6 inches high. There would be two feet behind the screen wall and two feet visible in the room. I would love to make it larger but my room does not have the depth. Does this sound ok?
Also, my room is on joists so I don't have the load carrying ability for a sand filled stage. Was going to stuff it with fluffy insulation and then double skinning and Green Gluing the ply tops. Was going to build it on 24 inch centres. Should be sufficient unless others have done differently?
Thanks guys...

Follow my thread here
post #466 of 1008 Old 12-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Liked: 11
Keep rockin' mate. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I picked up another bale of Earthwool yesterday so you know what I'm doing this avo... my plasterer mate did his back again so we've been on hold for another week - plus 4cabling.com.au delivered the third damaged rack so thats going back again. Having done by xmas looking unlikely... you carpeting over the boards? Mrs B is selecting browns for my walls. Black is brave. Keen to see how you ligh it though - could be crazy effective with the right lighting.
post #467 of 1008 Old 12-03-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Keep rockin' mate. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I picked up another bale of Earthwool yesterday so you know what I'm doing this avo... my plasterer mate did his back again so we've been on hold for another week - plus 4cabling.com.au delivered the third damaged rack so thats going back again. Having done by xmas looking unlikely... you carpeting over the boards? Mrs B is selecting browns for my walls. Black is brave. Keen to see how you ligh it though - could be crazy effective with the right lighting.

Hi there Damien,

You have fun with the insulation.... I still have about 1/3 of mine left over, which I need to finish the ceiling. Going to lay it over the paper pulp that's there now. What a mess to disturb it! Not looking forward to getting up in my roof. I have a low pitched roof and with 9 foot ceilings, the crawl space up there is pretty limited. Particularly for the more Santa like gents among us!

Bad luck on the rack. They are bloody useless. I have had good dealings with the company so far, but surely it can't be too hard to remove the rack prior to shipping from it's crate, check for damage and then repack with additional padding to prevent transit damage. They are expensive items but I think the attitude hey have is 'well, it's only going into a computer server room in some office so who cares???' Not good enough.

I am not doing the walls in black, only the screen wall and the ceiling. The black you see is just flat black paint to seal the drywall and to stop any pink showing through the yet to be installed fabric wall coverings. The rest of the walls will be in a metallic bronze fabric and the columns will be a lighter colour to tone in with my recliners (almost a perfect match). Should be a pretty neutral palette. I think I posted pictures earlier in my thread. Was going to choose the bronze for the ceiling but decided on black just in case I decide to incorporate a star ceiling down the track. Found a supplier in Sydney that supplies fibre optic star panels. It's about 1200-1500 that I don't have now but if I use black now I will be able to incorporate it with minimal further expense.

I will be carpeting the floors. Probably looking at a chocolate brown carpet, similar to what we had in our old home. It wore really well and vacuumed up great. Peter M bough a sample of the carpet he is choosing when he came over last time. Very nice and I believe that it comes in a brown so I may look into that as well. It will be a dark brown no matter what I choose. Really want to minimise any reflected light as I will be pushing my projector and I don't want to wash the image out any more than necessary.

Hope to see some more progress at your end soon.

Had Pete (the Sly) turn up today. Another nice fellow met from the forums. Enjoy the drywall lift Pete and I hope you made it home with (most of) the gyprock sheets on your car. Any dramas, give me a call. It goes together real easy but the instructions are fairly self explanatory.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #468 of 1008 Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 AM

Liked: 11
G'day. Insulation & framing all done. Just gotta wait for a new door for the rack - the rest is ok. I've got grey-brown carpet too - paid for & sitting at Andersens since about March now lol. I'm going with a brownish wall colour too but I'll let the Mrs sort that end of things. We have that paper stuff in our attic too, horrible stuff and thankfully I dont need to get up there. My theory for placing my rack cab where its going is that I can pretty much wire out to anywhere in the house if I need to without too much trouble - keeping future expansion in mind...
post #469 of 1008 Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope you made it home with (most of) the gyprock sheets on your car.

Surely this deserves photos !!!
post #470 of 1008 Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

+1 ROFL

Like the day I took a 3 piece leather lounge suit on the roof racks of the Golf.....not as bad as it sounds but I got a few odd looks

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #471 of 1008 Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Yes Peter, I agree! Pete (The Sly) has gone all quiet. Either he is a bit sheepish about dropping part of a sheet of Fyrchek on Berowra Waters Road or he is cracking into his drywalling with his shiny new lift. Which is it Sly?????

BTW,

Another mass of timber costing way more than I thought arrived today. Have enough now to finish the floor, build the stage and riser and trim the room with battens for the material. It's all happening.....

Follow my thread here
post #472 of 1008 Old 12-07-2011, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Peters (of which there are far too many around here), the guy over my back fence is Peter, as is the bloke across the road !!
post #473 of 1008 Old 12-07-2011, 02:55 AM

Liked: 13
hey guys, sorry been busy at work so hadn't been checking up on the forum.

Awesome to meet Greg in person on the weekend. Been trying to time a day to pick up some left over gyprock off him, and the lift, but the weather has continued to threaten every time. They predicted rain on Sunday, but I went for it anyway. Got the 4 sheets loaded on the car, suggested to Greg that I tie it down better at the front, but nah, should be fine. So off I go 2 mins up the road and the top sheet flips up and rips in half...whoops! lol
Spent the next 20 mins redoing the straps to better support it. Problem with wasting time doing that is the weather caught up on me, and 10 mins later it was hammering down. I expected to have a bunch of soggy gyprock left on the roof, so managed to pull into an underground parking lot to wait it out. They still got very wet though.

In the end I got home with them intact, and they have now dried out, but I'm not sure if I should toss them, or use them as the base layer. They seem rigid and mostly uneffected by the drenching, so I'm leaning toward using them.

Suffice to say I felt decidingly sheepish about the whole incident. Was great to see the black hole though, and also put a name to a face. Looking forward to heading back there when the room takes more shape.
post #474 of 1008 Old 12-08-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had a busy day today. Good Old dad gave me a hand to finish the flooring (double 19mm particle board with Green Glue sandwiched) right through the room. That was a relief. We then started work on the riser. Realised that we were not going to have enough of the 10 inch timbers to make cross members so ended up chopping up some 90x45 ( 3.75 inch x 1.8 inch) that I had purchased as well. End result is that we started stuffing the riser with insulation and then realised we had been working for 8 hours almost solid and Dad had to get home. My back had just about had enough. Just poured myself a large glass of Cabernet Chiropracter 2011. Works wonders!

It was a good day... nice to see some progress. Managed to get the Ryobi mitre saw out of the box for its virgin run. What a great bit of kit! Will stuff the remainder of the insulation in, run the power cable through the top and then get it all sealed up tomorrow. I then have my riser. It is 2 metres (6.5 feet) deep x 3.2 metres (10.5 feet) wide, topped with 18mm ply (about 5/8"). Pretty basic design but as carpet is a while off, I can add to it more if I want later. Some photos....

The Riser stood up, before we added the additional bracing. Sorry about the photo.

mmmm, packed with itchy goodness!

Follow my thread here
post #475 of 1008 Old 12-08-2011, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so now you're so close, you going to put a date on the opening?

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #476 of 1008 Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, so now you're so close, you going to put a date on the opening?

You're kidding, right! I have never committed to a date in my life and I'm not about to start now. I will be thrilled if I can have the stage and riser finished on Monday afternoon. Then I can start doing all the fiddly stuff. (Bugger, I just committed to a date!)

Hey, you up for a beer/pizza/build a pair of Danleys Day over the Christmas break?

Follow my thread here
post #477 of 1008 Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a quick one. The riser is flush to the rear and side wall but I will have overhang of ply at the entry side and front of the riser. I am interested in bullnosing the riser for a neater finish on the carpet. How much overhang do most people leave? I was thinking about 100mm (4 inches) but did not know if this was enough or too much.

Thanks

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #478 of 1008 Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, you up for a beer/pizza/build a pair of Danleys Day over the Christmas break?

I am working, but we should be able to manage it something - I'll be around weekends/holidays

....I reckon I broke another rib today out at Eastern Creek Carts......got T-Boned bad......

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #479 of 1008 Old 12-09-2011, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am working, but we should be able to manage it something - I'll be around weekends/holidays

....I reckon I broke another rib today out at Eastern Creek Carts......got T-Boned bad......

You are in the wars mate. Hope you get better soon. And the other news.... hope that's all good too!

Follow my thread here
post #480 of 1008 Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And the other news.... hope that's all good too!

Oh yes - 12 weeks on Sunday just gone......both mother in laws have gone completely cookoo

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page