Some more progress to report. With some pictures for proof! A mate of mine from school days who has helped me out with some projects in the past hung the door for me. This is one job that I knew that I would suck at as well as probably botch badly. After seeing the amount of work involved in it, I was kind of glad that he looked after this part.
Firstly, the original solid core maple door had previously been removed when I added the two layers of flooring, boosting the height by just over 1 1/2 inches. There was plenty of Green Glue sandwiched in that floor as well! Not to mention about 8 tubes of acoustic caulk around the boundaries. Because of the double drywall, the original door jamb and architraves needed to be changed out. The new door jamb is about 8 inches thick and I used some 1 inch MDF, which was about the most economical route. Still cost almost $100 for the sheet. The remainder was used to second-skin the door. More on that later.
Spent another $350.00 on lumber and hardware for this part of the project and also to complete some handrails on my rear deck, soon to be a salubrious alfresco area! Sure will be glad when my regular trips to the shops slow down a little! The money tree is losing branches...fast! As the door was to be pretty thick, needed to buy some 'wide butt' hinges. I thought that the name referred to the owner but apparently they are required for thicker doors, not just for the more portly posteriors among us...
Next, onto the door. Already had a solid maple door, but wanted to add to the thickness to improve isolation out of the room. Had plenty of Green Glue in the buckets and as my mate had never used the product before, he was interested to see how the stuff went. Firstly, in the hollowed out parts of the door (carved areas) I installed a thin layer of acoustic batt. Hope that this will stop any resonance issues with the door. Once that had been done, it was time to start Green Gluing. then we screwed the two layers together for a door that is now about 2 1/2 inches thick...and very heavy. Though the Green Glue hasn't cured yet and I am still to fit my drop down acoustic seal and carpet, the door makes a Major Improvement in isolating. Here are some photos of the progress...
Door hung and the floor patched up in the doorway ready for carpet.
Next job was to mount up my temporary 2.4:1 screen. Made this from some lengths of 2x1 maple with 2 centre supports and plenty of bracing. I then did a quick job trimming the large white piece of fabric that I had and stapling it to the frame. This will be my temp screen until the rest of the room is done. That way, I won't damage the screen during work.. The screen will be surrounded by 3x1 maple lengths. Fabricmate track will be mounted to these 3x1 strips and butt up against the white screen. I will then stretch velvet across the whole stage wall. Hopefully it will work OK. I must say, having the screen up is a major improvement over the large fabric sheet. Just feels better watching a screen with defined boundaries.
Last job was to install the furring strips around the split airconditioner.
I am getting close to the final push on the construction side. Next big ticket items are fabric and carpet. I think I am going to put columns off until later. Will wire the wall sconce lights flush with the wall and also leave the surrounds exposed. See how I like it. I can always add the columns later if I find I want them.
Have a little more work planned tomorrow and then back into the swing of things on Monday. Have a great weekend all.