The 'I can't believe you want the largest room in the house' HT build.1 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #721 of 1010 Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi there RT,
Good to have you on the thread. The lock is great and if you can install door hardware you'll have no problems. My door is just over 2.5 inches thick and most of these locks are not suitable. This one is suitable for door thicknesses up to 60mm (just less than 2.5 inches) so it meant a little routing of the door to make it fit. I only have my fingerprint stored which means that I know exactly who goes in. Not a real issue now but once the school friends start visiting things will change! It will store about 100 or more prints. Purchased on EBay for about 180.00 posted which is not too bad. Oh, and it's so cool!
Cheers
Greg

Follow my thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1010 Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi all,

I have one full bag of Ultratel acoustic insulation remaining. Behind the false screen wall I have lined the walls with the 2 inch material. Would there be any benefit in adding an extra layer behind the screen (4 inches in total)? Would this deaden the LCR's and the subs too much?

Thanks for any comments

Follow my thread here
post #723 of 1010 Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Greg, love the lock. Might have to see if I can get one later. My total door thickness is 118mm though, including the treatments, so will require some work.

I had the same dilemma regarding extra material. And also considered adding to the front wall. I personally doubt it would make much difference either way. Not really thick enough to effect bass, and probably won't add much to the high frequency attenuation either. But then this is just a guess! Incidentally I didn't end up adding to my wall.
post #724 of 1010 Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj View Post

Hi Greg, love the lock. Might have to see if I can get one later. My total door thickness is 118mm though, including the treatments, so will require some work.

I had the same dilemma regarding extra material. And also considered adding to the front wall. I personally doubt it would make much difference either way. Not really thick enough to effect bass, and probably won't add much to the high frequency attenuation either. But then this is just a guess! Incidentally I didn't end up adding to my wall.

Thanks for that Jamie. Its actually Supertel, not Ultratel but probably won't make much difference to the outcome. Don't think I'll have much luck selling it so I will probably end up trying some extra pieces behind the subs at least. If it's detrimental I can always take them out. Wish I had room on the stage for bass traps but I don't. That would be the logical use but there is no room on the stage. Is there a minimum size of trap to be effective?
Cheers
Greg.

Follow my thread here
post #725 of 1010 Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hi Greg,

Yes, bass traps need to be a certain size. Depending on the frequencies you plan on "trapping" Usually they are made in a wedge with 24" sides. This is with 703 equivalent material.

Don't forget that the room has 12 corners, not just the 4 that are commonly used for trapping. Can you build one in the top front corner, running horizontally perhaps?
post #726 of 1010 Old 03-07-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj View Post

Hi Greg,

Yes, bass traps need to be a certain size. Depending on the frequencies you plan on "trapping" Usually they are made in a wedge with 24" sides. This is with 703 equivalent material.

Don't forget that the room has 12 corners, not just the 4 that are commonly used for trapping. Can you build one in the top front corner, running horizontally perhaps?

Thanks for your feedback. I will see how much room I have to get treatments into that area. I did leave only 2 feet (60cm) from the screen wall to the rear wall. Of that 24 inches, the subs take up a lions share and then with 2 inches of treatments already on those walls there is precious little real estate back there. Will see what I can do. First step is to build these speaker stands and get my speakers to the right height before any EQing takes place.

I have a Mini-DSP waiting for me!

Cheers

Follow my thread here
post #727 of 1010 Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My traps have 17" legs. A bit smaller, but necessary for my space. I'm adding another at the wall ceiling joint myself. I haven't seen reason you couldn't fit one there?

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #728 of 1010 Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

My traps have 17" legs. A bit smaller, but necessary for my space. I'm adding another at the wall ceiling joint myself. I haven't seen reason you couldn't fit one there?

Hey there Tony, thanks for chiming in and for the advice. Looks like I will be able to use the insulation after all.
Cheers
Greg

Follow my thread here
post #729 of 1010 Old 03-25-2012, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's been a while since my last post. So long, in fact, that I almost dropped off the first 10 pages of threads in this section. Not a proud moment for a fair amount of progress to date. Was the result of hellish hours at work, day care and way too many great blu-rays winging their way down under from my friends at Amazon! Game of Thrones... it's all your fault!

Have not done a lot but I did take a step in the right direction and knocked up some 'pot luck' speaker stands out of some leftover timbers from my construction. I would like to tell you that the different timbers used are to minimise resonances and add to the sonic performance of my speakers but that just would not be true. I had some 18mm (about 3/4 inch) ply left over which was fine for top and bottom plate. The vertical timbers are a mixture of 90x45 finger jointed pine and two different types of maple. They will be painted up black and installed on my stage in the next few days. As they will be out of sight, I really did not care aesthetically how they looked. Purely for holding my speakers at the right height.

After some feedback on here, I decided to position the speakers at ear level for those on the rear riser. Think they should be fine. May look at using some Blu-tac or maybe Velcro stripping to hold them down onto the speaker stands. Anyway, here is how I spent about an hour of my afternoon today (including design, tooling, preparation and construction!)

Oh, and I didn't post before, but here is a photo of the material for my walls and ceiling... Just in case you were wondering what a thousand dollars worth of acoustically transparent fabric looks like

Hopefully be back with a few more posts (and progress) soon. By the way, that door behind the rolls of fabric is a new entrance door that I picked up on Ebay. It's a fair bit bigger than my existing door and will require some significant modifications to the door framing. Cost of door: $100. Cost of modifications to framework, hanging, painting and having an electrician wire up my entry switch... About $800. What was I thinking???? May be a while before I get to install that door. It will also be fitted with a biometric lock for keyless entry to my home.

Cheers

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #730 of 1010 Old 03-25-2012, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We all thought the cave had eaten you alive, and with the projector showing movies, it was never going to spit you out. Good to see some progress. And to think I got hassled for letting a day go by without a post in my thread....sheesh.

Am keen to see the fabric in action actually.
post #731 of 1010 Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 101
So these are the Ikea replacements or no?
post #732 of 1010 Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 727
How much was that fabric per yard? $1000 seems crazy!
post #733 of 1010 Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

So these are the Ikea replacements or no?

Hi David, hope you're well. Yes, these are the ikea replacements. I have painted my new stands black. That takes total construction time up to about one and a half hours. Putting in the hard yards to keep you guys happy!

Hopefully stands will improve the sound quality considerably by lifting the speakers to the correct height. The narrower footprint will bring the left and right speakers to within the frame as well... Atleast very close to it.

Follow my thread here
post #734 of 1010 Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

How much was that fabric per yard? $1000 seems crazy!

Hi there Big. The material works out to about 20 dollars per metre. Rolls are about 6.5 foot wide. That is enough material for my walls, ceiling and screen wall. It was slightly more than the standard range as it has a subtle metallic thread in the fabric. Not cheap, but then I could give you a list of how we get hammered here on prices. Let's start with income taxes over 40 % for middle income earners and 7% home interest rates. Visa and MasterCard about 21%. welcome to the land of milk and honey... And welfare programs no one can afford. How about we swap our leader for Obama! You would never complain again.

Follow my thread here
post #735 of 1010 Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

How about we swap our leader for Obama! You would never complain again.

Oh yes, how you you guys would love 'Juliar' over there. Here's a little pic of the work she has done for us so far.
http://i39.tinypic.com/34jelg3.jpg
post #736 of 1010 Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Too funny but so true.
post #737 of 1010 Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too funny but so true.

And that's coming from a yank! See what sort of shape we're in!

Follow my thread here
post #738 of 1010 Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I was pretty upset that they just ousted Rudd like they did for her. No loyalty there. Then you look at who else might run for PM and its scary.(other than Rudd)
post #739 of 1010 Old 03-30-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, enough political discourse. Seems we're all on the same page. I have some progress of sorts, and more sadly not needed investment! I have painted the stands for the speakers in some of the flat black that I had left over. Just a single coat but should suffice for not being seen behind the AT screen. They are actually reasonably solid in a home-made kinda way. Will just use some velcro or blutac for mounting the speakers onto the top plate. Here are the photos.

As I have been spending some more time in my HT watching movies (new and old), I had noticed that I am starting to have some issues with errors on my HD-DVD collection. The same error is always popping up mid movie and the disc unplayable. Turns out, most notably on Warner titles, that the disc material is breaking down after only a few years and this is becoming common. It's a problem widely reported on the HD-DVD thread. As I live in Australia, there will be no exchange program for BD discs.

Not wanting to lose all these discs, I have purchased a second hand x-box 360 HD-DVD drive ($11.50 plus $12 postage on Ebay), which connects via USB to my PC. I intend to rip all of my HD-DVD files to MKV file and store them, thus eliminating the need for physical media.

Yesterday, I ordered 4 x 2TB Western Digital 3.5 inch internal drives ($480 for 4) (total 8TB of space) and I purchased a Buffalo Link Station Quad NAS drive ($248.00 from Harris Technology) after some help and explanation from 'The Sly', my resident IT consultant in Sydney . I will set these up with RAID 5 redundancy, so my overall storage space will be just less than 6TB but if any of the drives fail, I will be covered without having to rip all of the discs again. Been a steep 2 day learning curve.

Next purchase will be either a Popcorn Hour C300 (available here in Sydney for just over $AUD400 or a Dune HD-D1 media streamer (about $380), that I can plug into the second HDMI outlet on the projector. The 6TB of storage will easily swallow my HD-DVD collection and I can continue to use my Sony BDP-CX960 400 disc blu ray changer for all of my new media (for a while, anyways - there are only about 150 spaces left). I like the fantastic user interface on the Popcorn Hour. Have not seen the Dune user interface so if anyone has seen both and could make a recommendation, I would be most appeciative. Any guidance with regards to these players would be great.

Well, still waiting to get some time to get my fabric track done. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. My birthday on Thursday next week (I stopped celebrating them at 40), then Easter that weekend in Canberra so not much chance within that time to do the work. I need to finish my theatre before I spend more money!

BTW, my audio calibration team (Peter M and Elill) will be summoned shortly to work their magic with my Mini-DSP for the usual price. Fat Yak and Pizza! All Sydney siders welcome if you would lke to call in.

Cheers all

Follow my thread here
post #740 of 1010 Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The speaker stands look good and should serve their purpose well. I'm curious about the whole HD-DVD media break down. I have 30+ HD-DVD's and "knock on wood" have not had any issues, but you now have me concerned somewhat. Very interesting.

I hear you on the old and new movies. I have recently not watched much new material, I have been rewatching a lot of my movie collection enjoying them again with my new theater setup.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #741 of 1010 Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

The speaker stands look good and should serve their purpose well. I'm curious about the whole HD-DVD media break down. I have 30+ HD-DVD's and "knock on wood" have not had any issues, but you now have me concerned somewhat. Very interesting.

I hear you on the old and new movies. I have recently not watched much new material, I have been rewatching a lot of my movie collection enjoying them again with my new theater setup.

Regards,

RTROSE

Hi there RT,

Thanks for your words on the speaker stands. Not exactly a thing of beauty but should serve their purpose well.

With the HD-DVD issue, check out the BD/HD-DVD areas on AVS. There are a stack of issues with the earlier discs, mainly with Warner titles. My copy of Training Day and Eagles Farewell 1 locked up midway through. Think it has something to do with the layering, but my player and disc collection has always worked fine until recently. I have about 200 of them so definitely want to get them on some safer media. Same problem on both my HD-A1 and HD-E1. mmmmm

Know what you mean about revisiting older movies. What was once great with my old plasma setup is now freaking awesome. Taken my viewing to a whole new level. Was playing the Scuba Steve demo disc the other day with visiting family and during the HTTYD clip, my family asked how I managed to shake the riser with the bass. They thought it was some kind of mechanical shaker on the chairs. I do have two Buttkicker Kits but they are not even out of their boxes. Don't need them either! Maybe for the couches and plasma out the back.... Danley Sound Labs... God Bless em!

Cheers

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #742 of 1010 Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 PM

Liked: 11
Lookin' good
post #743 of 1010 Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

BTW, my audio calibration team (Peter M and Elill) will be summoned shortly to work their magic with my Mini-DSP for the usual price. Fat Yak and Pizza! All Sydney siders welcome if you would lke to call in.

Lookin good mate. I got REW working now too, so we can run some plots etc and have a better fiddle.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #744 of 1010 Old 03-31-2012, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Lookin good mate. I got REW working now too, so we can run some plots etc and have a better fiddle.

Hey Pete,

Was wondering how you were going with your REW tinkering. Happy with the product? Peter still has my Mini-DSP. My fault not his. We haven't caught up for ages. Should be beers time anyway.

I need to get myself organised with the Mini-DSP prior to doing anything. Need to tear down some XLR cables as the Mini-DSP has screw in terminals. I have purchased the two channel advanced plug-in. Has a very snazzy interface so looking forward to giving that a run.

Just reading over the forums trying to find a product that will rip both Blurays and HD-DVD. I am using Pavtube Blu-Ray ripper. Works well (albeit slowly) on my (older) IMac but does not have HD-DVD support. I can purchase any DVD-HD edition which does have BD and HD-DVD support but it's not cheap at over $100 for the download and lifetime support. Need to work out what to do. Any recommendations guys?

Chat soon.

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #745 of 1010 Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 AM

Quote:

Yesterday, I ordered 4 x 2TB Western Digital 3.5 inch internal drives ($480 for 4) (total 8TB of space) and I purchased a Buffalo Link Station Quad NAS drive ($248.00 from Harris Technology)

Now that sounds familiar

Good to see you going for the option mate, it's a great NAS solution for a decent price. Am very happy with my setup as I've had zero issues with it so far, it just runs happily in the background. Was good to catch up with you the other day, unfortunately there's just not enough time to chat about everything, so will have to catch up again next time.

I have about 100 HDDVD's as well, so will be interested in your solution to the ripping problem, if you solve it.

Very happy for you that you're getting to the pointy end of the project and have started to really enjoy all your hard work. Let me know when the callibration team are dropping in, I might have to soak up some knowledge as well

Cheers,
post #746 of 1010 Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I have only heard great things about AnyDVD but have never convinced myself to buy it. That being said it would be nice if I could buy so I can have my BR discs on my computer.
post #747 of 1010 Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have only heard great things about AnyDVD but have never convinced myself to buy it. That being said it would be nice if I could buy so I can have my BR discs on my computer.

I downloaded a 21 day free trial version today. Took about 1 hour to rip 45gb worth of Star Wars - The Phantom Menace. Only problem was that it had subtitles plastered across the screen. Oh well, may need to tinker a bit to work it out properly.

Follow my thread here
post #748 of 1010 Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
BTW - I have a Dune HDI......it is good, but the interface is crap.

I'd look at some others beforehand.

I dont know if there is a player with a built in interface for Music and Movies.....I had Zappiti running for a bit, but its not great....dont like MyMovies either

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #749 of 1010 Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Peter still has my Mini-DSP. My fault not his.

Mini-DSP ... what Mini-DSP ??? Unfortunately I don't think Greg's $150 will get me to Cuba !!

Elill certainly seems to have REW sorted so that'll really help. I'll also bring TrueRTA which will be good for the LCR's using 1/3 octave EQ through the DCX.

Cheers,
post #750 of 1010 Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Mini-DSP ... what Mini-DSP ??? Unfortunately I don't think Greg's $150 will get me to Cuba !!

Elill certainly seems to have REW sorted so that'll really help. I'll also bring TrueRTA which will be good for the LCR's using 1/3 octave EQ through the DCX.

Cheers,

Hey Peter,
It's ok. I've booked you into the nice Customs Doctor for a rubber glove inspection next time you travel. Requested the 7 foot tall dr with hands like dinner plates Teach you to take my fortune and run!

Follow my thread here
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page