The 'I can't believe you want the largest room in the house' HT build.1 - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #781 of 1009 Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCarey View Post

The projector is a Sony VPL-VW60. We've had it for a few years now and it's still going strong. It works very well with the CAVX Mk4 lens.

The screen is a 130" 2.37:1 OZ Theatre Screens Majestic with Evo3D fabric.
One day I will make the jump to an AT fabric and place the centre Krix Euphonix speaker upright behind the screen.

Looking good Michael,
Glad you're happy. I love having a projector again. Sounds spoilt but I have a 58 inch plasma which is awesome but there's nothing quite like having a BIG screen experience.

I really liked the sound of the KRIX speakers but they were a little out of my budget at the time.

Cheers

Follow my thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1009 Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had a very full weekend so no real progress over the two days. Would like to say that I couldn't work on my theatre as I was crewing a yacht with 50 young nymphets but the truth is way sadder.... Invited to a mate's wife hosting a Tupperware party and the Sunday was spent at my first 5yo birthday. That's one down, about 49 to go from what I hear.
Anyways, I did do a little bit yesterday. I have some 4x1 maple lengths acting as a screen frame. Was going to wrap these in velvet but thought it may be good to try the Fabricmate track. Pulled out my rechargeable stapler...... Broken. Had also bought a heavy duty manual upholstery stapler.... Didn't go through the track even on the highest setting. called for a trip to Bunnings. 36 bucks later and I have an Ozito brand corded power stapler with 3 year warranty. Works well with the supplied staples but a bit temperamental with others. The velvet is not really thick so it was a bit tricky. After a bit of cursing I have one length covered in Fabric and the other long length tracked and ready. Took longer than I thought but I think I have the idea now. Hoping the AT fabric will be easier to work with as it's thicker. We have a public holiday in Oz tomorrow to celebrate the sacrifices of our soldiers so after the morning ceremony I will be back in my room stapling. Hope to have some progress to show.
Cheers
Greg

Follow my thread here
post #783 of 1009 Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Invited to a mate's wife hosting a Tupperware party

Hold on just one minute, you were giving me grief over Lisa's baby shower and you spend an afternoon eating cucumber sandwiches and discussing the finer points of ice trays and lunch boxes! somethings not adding up

To the Peters - we'd better be careful next time we're round at Greg's place, next thing we know he'll break out the leg wax

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #784 of 1009 Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Hold on just one minute, you were giving me grief over Lisa's baby shower and you spend an afternoon eating cucumber sandwiches and discussing the finer points of ice trays and lunch boxes! somethings not adding up

To the Peters - we'd better be careful next time we're round at Greg's place, next thing we know he'll break out the leg wax

Cucumber Sandwiches... not likely. I'll have you know that Tupperware is absolutely amazing stuff. I actually heard the rep say that the high technology plastic they use in their exciting new range is specially engineered and 'knows' not to heat up, thus diverting all of the energy to the food. mmmmmmm. Something tells me your baby shower would have been more interesting. Atleast there was plenty to eat... as long as you don't mind everything coming out of the microwave. I also intend to approach my family lawyer again to have the settlement terms renegotiated. I think my ex spent about 3K on Tupperware and never told me! $35 for a spatula.... come on down!

As for the leg waxing, never gonna happen. And coming from a guy who turned up at my place last time in a bright pink shirt to build subs, your opinions are welcome but treated with the contempt they deserve

Follow my thread here
post #785 of 1009 Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Holy crap..........Cucumber sandwiches......Tupperware parties.......Baby showers...........Pink shirts...............LEG WAXING??????? What in the Sam Hill is going on around here? I thought Aussies were the men of men. For all things good and holy please get a GRIP!!!! I strangely feel compelled to get this thread back on track with some manly pictures to take your minds off all this mamby pamby stuff.

For your enjoyment and to get all of you back on track.........

Version 2.0 of my theater will include one of these (or all three) for sure.

Just had my plumber over to finish up my kitchenette.

The RTROSE theater build groupies.

Oh and a nice rack of guns!

Whew! I'm feeling better already.

Now back to our regularly scheduled MANLY build thread.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #786 of 1009 Old 04-24-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 70
South Central, IN.....lol(Bloomington?)
post #787 of 1009 Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

South Central, IN.....lol(Bloomington?)

Close.....but no cigar. A little less west a little more central.

I do go to Bloomington a few times a year if that counts for anything though.

Bloomington is a great town, just glad I don't live there though can get pretty crazy at times for sure.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #788 of 1009 Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And coming from a guy who turned up at my place last time in a bright pink shirt to build subs, your opinions are welcome but treated with the contempt they deserve

These threads are always too funny.
post #789 of 1009 Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

These threads are always too funny.

^^Agreed!

This is why i love this forum.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #790 of 1009 Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And coming from a guy who turned up at my place last time in a bright pink shirt to build subs, your opinions are welcome but treated with the contempt they deserve

Did I mention that you were cleaning a sticky opaque substance from your eyes when I rocked up......sure it was glue

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #791 of 1009 Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

hahahah.......these OZ build threads are great!!
post #792 of 1009 Old 04-25-2012, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the laughs guys. Really needed them after what has been a VERY frustrating day. The fabric track is proving to be more complicated than i anticipated to install.... If it was just wall panels it would be so much simpler but trying to think in three dimensions to incorporate the use of the track as an intermediate between the walls and ceiling is proving a little harder. Particularly around obstacles such as the split system air conditioner, projector mount etc. Dad and I spent the best part of six hours today working in the room. Result? Well, we trimmed the other horizontal screen frame piece in velvet (about 20 mins work after learning how to do the other one and got 6 pieces of track stapled to the ceiling. Today had all the fun stuff. Lots of trial and error, stapler malfunctions and cursing that could probably be heard three suburbs away (poor attempt to reassert some masculinity in this build thread!). Even had to take a metal file to the stapler so that i could use it to align the stapler head with the angle in the 1 inch track. Not a fun day and I will be happy to get away for a week on Saturday and come back with a refreshed mindset. To be honest, what I needed was some engineering expertise (aka Peter M. The man I count on for mechanical aptitude when he's not squirting glue in my eyes when slamming Danley panels into their respective grooves).
Time to take a break and come back when blood pressures restore to previous levels. Lucky I didn't take down the projector....

Follow my thread here
post #793 of 1009 Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^I think all of us can identify with a frustrating day of construction where nothing goes as planned. I know I had my fair share. Enjoy your time away and as you say come back with a fresh eye for things.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #794 of 1009 Old 04-25-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

^^^^I think all of us can identify with a frustrating day of construction where nothing goes as planned. I know I had my fair share. Enjoy your time away and as you say come back with a fresh eye for things.

Regards,

RTROSE

Thanks RT,

I went with the Fabricmate Track as it was meant to be the simplest option for lining the walls. And like I said, if it was just on the wall it would be dead easy. I have a mitre box, saw and staple gun. Easy Peasy. It's getting everything to match up with the horizontal planes that complicates things. Maybe a few less brain cells will help. I will drink while away!

Cheers
Greg

Follow my thread here
post #795 of 1009 Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
See what happens when I go quiet for a few days ... you blokes come over all girly !! And I thought Tupperware parties were SO last millenium ... next time I suggest you push for a lingerie party ! An old mate and I have always joked that we'd like to open two shops side by side - home theatre and lingerie ... then everyone would be happy.

BTW Greg ... I tried to take your call yesterday but could only hear about every tenth word. I was up to my armpits in rack making ... photos over the weekend.
post #796 of 1009 Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi there Peter,
Sorry. Must have been Thomas trying to call you. I think he had the phone at some point. If you got every tenth word you were doing well!
Hope that the rack building went well. I'm up here at Coffs Harbour and today is the first little bit of sunshine. It's been pouring for a couple of days with rain forecast for the rest of our trip. Will make the best of the sunshine. catch up when I get back. You would probably have moved by then. Hope it all goes well.

Follow my thread here
post #797 of 1009 Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, being a star wars fan I just had to post this. It was posted by a friend of mine on Facebook. Strange what you find funny during a wet holiday....
LL

Follow my thread here
post #798 of 1009 Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was lucky enough to have my friend come over about a week ago to have a look at the Fabric track. Seems like what I had done (all six strips!) was fine and it was great to have someone point me on the right path. I have since put in a couple of evenings of work in the room and I have about 1/2-2/3 of the track up. Still needs some extra staples in it but it seems to be going up OK now. Still have issues with the stapler which is annoying the living s$#t out of me but I can see that there is an end to the job. Idea will be to get the fabric up on the ceiling in the next couple of weeks and then start working out the walls. Before I do that, I need to work out a way to trim around the projector and the doorway. Also need some extra timbers around the screen wall. Have a mad week with work this week so hopefully I can get even a little bit done. The projector is coming down! That may be the only way i get this room finished

Follow my thread here
post #799 of 1009 Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Greg, good luck with the fabric track mate. Show some pics when you are able to.

Will
post #800 of 1009 Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbejaan View Post

Hi Greg, good luck with the fabric track mate. Show some pics when you are able to.

Will

I will hopefully get some time on the weekend to do some more work. Will attempt to get some pics but the track, being black, is not the easiest thing in the world to photograph in a black room. I am so looking forward to getting some of that fabric on the ceiling and walls.

Your build is looking great Will.

Cheers

Greg

PS, I was hoping that my lack of progress would have RT slapping some more photos of scantilty clad women on my thread

Follow my thread here
post #801 of 1009 Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

post #802 of 1009 Old 05-20-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LOL probably the funniest catching up ive done so far LOL...

What a ta ra ra gundeay!- bugs bunny
post #803 of 1009 Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey there Mista,
Thanks for the comments. It's been a fun trip for most of the time. On the home stretch now, which is taking way longer than I wanted. Still, trying to remain upbeat about the challenges. Can't wait for that first movie night when everything is done. Not finished... As it will probably never be that with upgrades etc but all the jobs done. I've been on AVS long enough to know that home theatres are NEVER finished!

Follow my thread here
post #804 of 1009 Old 05-21-2012, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ahhh, the "pictures of women and guns and everything else" stage. I remember it well. It's followed by a long period of nothing getting done.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #805 of 1009 Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Ahhh, the "pictures of women and guns and everything else" stage. I remember it well. It's followed by a long period of nothing getting done.

Was actually planning a concrete bar top
Hello my friend. All I can do is assure you that I am plodding away in the room. had another frustrating few hours with the stapler. It's powerful enough to shoot large staples into timber but the thick plastic track causes issues and it fails about every second or third shot. Makes for annoying times. I am off to buy a pneumatic stapler to get the blasted job finished. Have access to a compressor so just need the stapler. More money I really didn't want to spend but my patience has ended. Time to hit Bunnings and surrender more of my hard earned!
Cheers mate. Chat soon.

Follow my thread here
post #806 of 1009 Old 06-12-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi guys,
I have made just a little progress in my room. I have certainly bitten off more than I can chew in terms of home renovation projects of late. Some of them I am attempting myself and some I have called the contractors in for. In no particular order, my last few weeks have comprised having the bathroom remodelled, installing a new front door, completing the rear deck and installing stainless steel balustrading wire, replacing all of the timber windows with aluminium sliding windows, having the front and rear verandahs tiled (next fortnight), installing stacked stone on the chimney and then having the home clad with new siding. Still need to finish the last jobs and install new floorboards, but I have not had a lot of time to get in the theatre room for anything apart from relaxing with a movie now and then. I have managed to install most of the remainder of my Supertel acoustic batts around ear height for improved in-room acoustics and I have received my new pneumatic stapler which should make short work of the fabric track installation. Will be finishing my work behind the screen wall soon and intend to get the screen material and my gorgeous home made speaker stands installed soon. I started making a list of all of the outstanding jobs.... and then put it away as it was all too daunting. After slipping down to the bottom of the threads I will surely try to make more regular posts and progress.

Cheers all.

Follow my thread here
post #807 of 1009 Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Uhm, uhm, ...... what happend to the part of abovementioned post that says: " I will surely try to make more regular posts and progress."
Too busy enjoying a "nearly finished theater"? wink.gif

Just checking in. Hope all is fine. Have a great day!

Will
post #808 of 1009 Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi there Will,
Ok, I knew it was inevitable that someone was going to hold me to account. Things in the theatre have taken a bit of a backseat with all of the other renovation projects which are being completed, like the bathroom, rear deck, tiling, new windows, cladding etc. My house looks like a construction zone now. Hard to find a place (apart from my near-airtight theatre) that isn't covered in dust! Truth be known, I have not enjoyed any of these projects nearly as much as working in the theatre and I want to get them finished, finalised and sorted before I get back in my room and finish it off. I will make sure that I take some pictures of all the other reno projects.... isn't that what's done when progress is lacking? Another reason is that my AVS mobile application has not been working since updating to an Android phone. I had to shell out 3 bucks for the Tapatalk application so that I can now use my phone to post. I have lots of fiddly jobs to do before I get the material up on the walls but I will get them done. I have to travel with work for 6 weeks in August so I am hoping that I can get the lion's share of work completed before then. I have not had much time to watch any movies in the theatre.... the last couple have been 'Act of Valor' and 'The Descendants'. Both are fantastic movies and I'm glad that I took some time out to watch them.

BTW, your room is looking great Will.

Follow my thread here
post #809 of 1009 Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok I have to ask and since all the Ozzies see this thread I will ask here. Where is a good place to buy a rack unit?

I was wanting to build one that I could have the doors closed so it would not be to loud but not sure if I know what I am doing on that one. I llike Ellil's but that is too big for me for now. I would like to have a 12-20 rack space unit that looks nice and is a stand alone unit. But I would like to have something that is worth the money. Not a Jaycar POS. Thanks guys
post #810 of 1009 Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Look at:

Argent

Avrak

I had an idea a while back to DIY a sealed box with two dead vents (cold in and hot out).....complete PITA so I did what I did

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page