The 'I can't believe you want the largest room in the house' HT build.1 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 1009 Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, not a lot to tell but I thought that I would update with what little news that I have. Our family just came back from Bali, which was a nice break away from it all. While away, we have been in discussions with another home company and it looks like this will be the home that we go for. Still nutting out some final details, but there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

To cut a long story short, our previous builder took the extremely mature approach of refusing to take phone calls and totally ignoring any attempts to contact via email. In hindsight, it was better to find out before the build. In any case, it worked out well as I know for a fact our build would have come in 50% over budget plus contingencies, so it was better to walk away now rather than mid build. Shame we wasted thousands of dollars and a year of our time to find ourselves back at this point once more.
Anyway, onto matters of home theater. The new home will have a garage measuring 6m x 6m (20 feet x 20 feet). I am currently waiting on options for an extension to the theater room to make it 8m x 6 m and 7m x 6m rather than being so square. However, it is a room above the garage and any changes we make to the theater must be replicated in the garage. My best estimate for the larger option will be an additional 15K for the larger garage and theater room.
Entry to the room will be from a side wall near the front screen wall. Once I get confirmed plans and dimensions I will post them and throw it open to the panel of experts. Unfortunately, will need to have two windows in the room, but once the house is completed, I will be making double drywall plugs and fabric lining the walls so the room will be absolutely light controlled.
Will keep everyone posted.
Greg

Follow my thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1009 Old 09-17-2010, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Greg,

We may be going at this neck and neck !! I'm waiting on some final prices from our builder and then I should be signing him up. Our integrator is also ready to go as soon as the builder's on board.

Where are you with council approval ?

Peter M

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 1009 Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi there Peter, not at that point yet. We are yet to receive a firm tender. Once that comes in, we should be able to sign off on plans within the next month. We are going down the Complying Development path yet again, so if the builder supplies all of the required info to council then it should theoretically be through council within a ten day period. More likely this will be a month. There is a very small chance that we will get a slab down prior to the end of the year but I think it is more likely that building will start in January and probably finish in July or thereabouts. So, I would say you are well ahead of me Peter! Where are you guys up to? You must be looking forward to getting home.
Peter and I both live in Hornsby so you will be pretty close in Frenchs Forest once we finish building.
How are you going with your Procella auditions?
Cheers
Greg

Follow my thread
post #94 of 1009 Old 09-18-2010, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Greg,

We don't expect to have any more than slab done by year end, so you may not be that far behind us. Hornsby must have different procedures to Warringah, as I've never heard of quick approval for complying developments. As far as I'm aware ours is fully complying, but we've still had to go through the whole formal DA submission process. Notification to the neighbours takes about 3 weeks alone. After DA approval our builder will handle the CC submission.

I'm off to Atlanta on Wednesday for CEDIA and my main priority is to decide between Seaton and Procella. I should be getting real good demos of both in the presence of the designers / manufacturers so I have no excuse for further procrastination.

I was wondering where you and Peter are ... Hornsby's not far at all ... plenty close enough for a demo .... first finished buys the beer !!

Peter M

post #95 of 1009 Old 09-18-2010, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Is CEDIA open to the public? or a trade show only? I couldn't tell from their website.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #96 of 1009 Old 09-18-2010, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Bigger HT, bigger garage. What is there not to like?

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #97 of 1009 Old 09-18-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

CEDIA is really a trade show by design, but I gather a fair number of enthusiasts attend as well. Registration on their web site is fairly straight forward.

Peter M

post #98 of 1009 Old 09-23-2010, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Peter, guess that by now you are in the USA? Seaton or procella .... Some choices are a real bitch. If you can get to the Emotiva stand I would be really interested in your thoughts on their new installers range of equipment. Their new processor and amp look amazing. 6k looks like a genuine bargain.
Have a great time. Greg.

Follow my thread
post #99 of 1009 Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Greg,

Back for a while now ... taking time to catch up.

Speakers will be Seaton. Bottom line is that both Procella and Seaton make awesome speakers, and the sound is very similar. I'd need to hear them in the same room at the same time to really identify clear differences. In the end the lower cost of the Seatons won the day.

I saw the Emotiva stuff, but as far as I could tell it was only a static display. Gotta agree that they look absolutely stunning !!

And in other news ... I'm working with Council to come up with a stormwater design that meets with their approval, but they're backed up with DA's and reckon mine won't be determined until Nov / Dec !!

You may well get the jump on me !! Making any progress ?

Peter M

post #100 of 1009 Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi there Peter, Seatons will be awesome! Lucky boy. Looks like it will be just you and I battling it out for the ht build wooden spoon. Peter has dropped out of the immediate race and booked into the captive breeding program. Membership has its privileges!!!!

We have given the builder a wish list of an 8 metre x 6 metre ht room. I am hoping for a minimum of 7 x 6 but the extra length would be fantastic. Will depend on what we can get through Council.
We are waiting on another survey to be completed and hopefully should have some plans in our hands within the next 4 to 6 weeks. You know what it's like.... Baby steps!
Anyway, thanks for keeping an eye out at cedia. Would have loved to have gone. Can you get your Seatons over here or is it a import job? Let me know as I have brought in some pallets of gear and can put you in contact with shipping people.

Chat soon. Greg.

Follow my thread
post #101 of 1009 Old 10-08-2010, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
DTV as much as I dislike elements of the forum, has the mother of all group buys going for Seaton

P.S. I'll just leach of your two rooms

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #102 of 1009 Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey there Peter, how you doing? It's Friday night.... What are you lurking around these parts for? Haven't you got some romancing to do?

Follow my thread
post #103 of 1009 Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL, not till feb/march....well we can practice beforehand

...as I said, living room and study being decked out slowly as we speak. Putting rack in place ATM, then rears, then mains/subs......also looking at acoustic treatments

Peter the Greek

post #104 of 1009 Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Greg,

Can I fix the race for wooden spoon by breaching my spending limit (salary cap) !!!

"captive breeding program" ... LOL ... I vaguely remember those days !!

"the extra length would be fantastic" ... ahem ... no comment, this one's between you and the missus. Joking aside ... it will give you room for a baffle wall, screen wall and full AT screen setup. These really chew up the space.

I'm going to be way too late for Mark's current group buys, but I think I can still squeeze him for a good deal on the entire system I'm planning. I don't expect shipping to be a problem as Mark seems to have this well sorted to the big cities, plus we do a lot of shipping at work so I have contacts there as well.

Cheers,

Peter M

post #105 of 1009 Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Peter,

Sounds like you have things well sorted with your Seaton purchase. Best of luck. Just how good did they sound???? Curious.
As for the salary cap, you go your hardest! There are no rules and the more you spend, the more jealous we will get!

As to the extra length, well I think we will just leave that one alone! Would be nice to add 2 metres to the length of the room but again, it will all be determined by Council.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Greg

Follow my thread
post #106 of 1009 Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Hi Greg,

Can I fix the race for wooden spoon by breaching my spending limit (salary cap) !!!

"captive breeding program" ... LOL ... I vaguely remember those days !!

"the extra length would be fantastic" ... ahem ... no comment, this one's between you and the missus. Joking aside ... it will give you room for a baffle wall, screen wall and full AT screen setup. These really chew up the space.

I'm going to be way too late for Mark's current group buys, but I think I can still squeeze him for a good deal on the entire system I'm planning. I don't expect shipping to be a problem as Mark seems to have this well sorted to the big cities, plus we do a lot of shipping at work so I have contacts there as well.

Cheers,

I'm in the GB and depending on how happy I am with the sub, I will also be looking to do a seaton surround setup for a dedicated room (cat 12 & sparks), just been reading the sydney boys threads to get some inspiration. I am going to have a similar 6 x 6 space to work with once I can free up the back garage.

Depending on when your looking to get the seatons we maybe able to have a mini gb... if not it would be great to see some seatons in action in Sydney.

Sorry to go OT Greg, very interested in how you go with your build. Have you got the house build underway yet?
post #107 of 1009 Old 01-14-2011, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Depending on when your looking to get the seatons we maybe able to have a mini gb... if not it would be great to see some seatons in action in Sydney.

Massive Seaton GB going on over at DTV.....the country will be swarming with Seaton gear at some point this year

Peter the Greek

post #108 of 1009 Old 01-14-2011, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi guys, well a lot has happened in the last few months which is why I have not posted. The home build is a no go due to the fact that the wife and I had a few substantial differences.... The kind you don't get past unfortunately. Things are ok now but I am footloose and fancy free and looking forward to the next chapter. Trying to maintain positive humor regarding the whole matter! In any case, I will be moving into an investment property in Berowra Heights, about 10 minutes north of the proposed home. Will have some space allocated for the ht build but it may be a few months down the track. The financial side of things is a slightly different on one income but I will get there. I have a garage full of ht equipment that drastically needs unpacking. Now I just need to find a space big enough for seven speakers and two Danley DTS Tens! Does anyone know how long the tubs of green glue last?
Should be moving in within the next few weeks. Take care all and will post with some photos when I get into the new old place!
Greg.

Follow my thread
post #109 of 1009 Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear that Greg....well no more flying down the F3 each morning at least

.....another Aussie AVS build on hold/cancelled.....argh! Peter M is going to have to take up the slack now

Peter the Greek

post #110 of 1009 Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Sorry to hear that Greg....well no more flying down the F3 each morning at least

.....another Aussie AVS build on hold/cancelled.....argh! Peter M is going to have to take up the slack now

Hey Peter, yes mate I certainly will not miss the F3 side of things. I am living at Berowra now with family and the difference is amazing! Looking forward to getting a life back. And I won't be on hold for long.... Just need to work out which room to convert. There is also a standalone building in the rear yard that could be an option. It's a 1200 metre block so there is plenty of room to extend that and have a dedicated room away from the living areas of the home.
How's that captive breeding program going mate? Hope you are not enjoying too much success. It would be a real shame to have to bring it to an end prematurely (probably the wrong terminology when discussing such matters!)
Greg.

Follow my thread
post #111 of 1009 Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL, breeding program hasn't kicked off yet (still trying to get some ducks in a row)

1200M nice! stand alone theatre would be very cool if you google Procella you'll find one built in the UK

I'm pretty sure GG lasts a good while......good luck with it all. I've got 3 weeks off in Feb, perhaps we can catch up over a beer when I'm back

Peter the Greek

post #112 of 1009 Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

So I've gone from a sure thing for the wooden spoon to top of the table in just a couple of weeks !!

I spoke to Council this morning and have been assured that all is now OK and we'll have approval in the next week or so .... woo hoo !!!

Peter M

post #113 of 1009 Old 01-17-2011, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Movie night at Peter's then! I'll buy the beer....how long do we have to wait?

Peter the Greek

post #114 of 1009 Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully we'll be in the house by November, with the HT fired up before Christmas ... oh no ... now I've gone and committed to a deadline which can only come back to haunt me ... I'm screwed !!

Peter M

post #115 of 1009 Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

ROFL.....yeah we did that.....2.5 years later we moved in (but that was pre-approval). post approval was 7 months to the day (including Christmas)....builder was a gun

Peter the Greek

post #116 of 1009 Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey there everyone. It's been a while since I last posted and I am just starting to get my brain around starting some work on my room. Circumstances have changed significantly since this thread kicked off some time ago, the end result being that I have moved into an investment property which I had rented out for the past 5 years. It's an old home.... 'renovators delight' would have been the real estate description. But it's home, be it ever so humble. The dwelling, constructed in 1962, is single level and as the block slopes gently, sits on brick piers. The front entry opens up into a large lounge with timber floorboards, measuring about 20 feet long x 15 feet wide x 9 foot ceilings. This room features two large windows on the left wall which I intend to cover up and a split system ac unit high on the right wall. The rear of the room is open to the entry hall and I intend to stud frame this and enclose the room. I have spent the last two months renovating the kitchen and knocking down walls so I am so over having drywall dust covering every inch of my home. I figure if I enclose the room now it will control the mess from getting right through the home.
I will post some photos soon but just wanted to reopen the thread with a question regarding triple leafing in the room.
I have previously purchased green glue whisper clips and green glue and intend to double drywall the room with 5/8 inch material. Was considering building a new stud wall on the left side wall to effectively eliminate any light coming in to the room from the windows. This will be clipped, glued and double drywall. I will also need to double drywall, glue and clip the right hand wall, rear wall and the screen wall. If I effectively build a room within the existing room isn't this going to result in the triple leaf effect in my space, reducing the effectiveness with low frequencies?
I have two Danley Dts10 kits sitting in their boxes and really want to spare my neighbors as much pain as possible.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow my thread
post #117 of 1009 Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mate, if it was me....I'd cut out the floor boards, sink new stumps, put isolated bearers in and build an isolated room on that.

Then however you decided on doing the floor, I guess a few layers of board with GG. I reckon your floor will be the weakest link

Peter the Greek

post #118 of 1009 Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

G'day Peter. Strangely enough replacing the floor was one of the options that I had looked at originally. However the cost is going to be too substantial right now. Going to need to make do with what I have now. The front of the home is only about 8 inches off the ground and for the most part is bricked in. Was thinking about laying some green glue and ply over the floorboards, some sort of acoustic matting then underlay and carpet. Probably the best I can do right now. Is it beer time?

Follow my thread
post #119 of 1009 Old 05-15-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Greg,

One option is to lay this Angelstep over your floor boards and then double ply with GG.

Peter M

post #120 of 1009 Old 05-15-2011, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Hi Greg,

One option is to lay this Angelstep over your floor boards and then double ply with GG.

Thanks Peter, how are you? Your last update was November for completion. So how are you travelling? Any idea what this material goes for? I imagine that I will need about 25 metres squared. Can't imagine it's cheap.

Follow my thread
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page