The 'I can't believe you want the largest room in the house' HT build.1 - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #211 of 1009 Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Greg,

"smashed at work" are you a wine taster ??

Sounds like a good deal on the gyprock too.

Remote dimmer switch sounds interesting. Do you have a link ?

And where did you get your copy of Rio and Thor 3D ? I have these saved in my cart at amazon, but they are not what I would call cheap, especially now the dollar has dropped.

Have a good one

Cheers
Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1009 Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Jamie,
Ordered them from Amazon. Still cheaper than Sydney where a lot of 3d movies are 40 and 50 dollars.

Wine tasting.... Now that's definitely a career choice I should have made!

Here's the link for the light switch... Light Switch Link
I ordered the single gang switch. May end up buying another if it's ok,

Have a good weekend.

Follow my thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #213 of 1009 Old 09-24-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sorry I never gave feedback on the switch. Mainly because I had none. I haven't seen that switch before. But it looks like it performs the intended task.

If mine went out, I'd have to replace it the next day! It's that helpful.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #214 of 1009 Old 09-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

That's a neat looking switch Greg.

It annoys me that movie distributers feel that 3d movies should automatically cost $10-20 more. Not really the way to promote a "new" format. Good for a quick buck though.

I buy most of mine from amazon too. I have 12 ready in my saved cart now!

Cheers
Jamie
post #215 of 1009 Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonj View Post

That's a neat looking switch Greg.

It annoys me that movie distributers feel that 3d movies should automatically cost $10-20 more. Not really the way to promote a "new" format. Good for a quick buck though.

I buy most of mine from amazon too. I have 12 ready in my saved cart now!

Cheers
Jamie

Thanks Jamie,
I liked the switch. With the glass front it looked nice and sleek to my eyes. Going to test the lights with the one switch. If I need to dim them independently I may look at buying another 1-2. As much as I love the light themes achievable with Grafik Eye units, I just couldn't justify the expense.

Agree with you on the 3D blurays. Unless the studios get their act together it will be over before it begins! I have my BD burner so just waiting for the 'appropriate' programs to be available on Mac and I will be able to save some money! Lol. Will keep you in the loop.

Follow my thread
post #216 of 1009 Old 09-26-2011, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the delay. I was going to post these photos a week ago when the work was completed but I had a 5 foot pile of insulation blocking my computer. Found somewhere else for that so here we go.

Managed to get the stud wall up last Saturday. a half day with my carpenter mate and 4YO to get the wall up. Sure it would have been faster with just the first two people. Anyway, the cinema will be just as much for Thomas as myself and I really want him to be involved in the process as much as possible (and safe)

Here are some photos...

I am planning to run most of my cables down behind that 1 foot gap under the window then conduit to outside the room. Obviously will be reinstalling the blinds and blacking out the windows.

Here was my little helper for the day. We had a lot of fun. And before anyone asks, he wasn't climbing the ladder all day, nor using the hammer and chisel. Just in case you were wondering or ready to send social services...

OK, so workplace relations question.... It's only child labour if you pay them something, isn't it???

So, that's where I got up to during the weekend. I then had a bloody sore back from lifting and other work that was completed out on the deck (6m (20 foot) joists should really be lifted by two people... make mental note! Here was my trusty pain relief for the week...

So, that was last week.

I will post a couple of shots soon for the coming week's work.

Follow my thread
post #217 of 1009 Old 09-26-2011, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey there all,
Had a nice weekend away with the young apprentice to Canberra, which is the capital of Australia and about 3 hours drive from home. Enjoyed myself and called into Bunnings (again!) and picked up a new addition. No excuses for not working at night now... All for 30 bucks! God bless China!

Anyway, that, in combination with all of my drywall screws, wood screws for mounting the clips and a chalk line / level and I am set to get moving on the clips. Came home to what was (before I left) a very tidy room....

This is the small pile of fluff. The plastic that held it up is in pretty poor condition. Need to bang some nails or staples in to hold them up. The new drywall and channel should support them better. I will simply lay the R3.5 batts on top of what little blown insulation is left.

Clean up tomorrow and into it again!

Follow my thread
post #218 of 1009 Old 09-26-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looking good my friend! Enjoyed the photos of Thomas. Brings back many memories from the early days of Twinseltown. Cherish it man. There's nothing else more important.

Are you going to have access to that 1' space behind the windows? I see the windows open outward. Not sure if it matters, but seems like a feature you might need one day. Maybe when the possums.....errr, koalas take up residence in that nice, cool, private home you've built, the window gives an easy way to extract them? LOL

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #219 of 1009 Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Looking good my friend! Enjoyed the photos of Thomas. Brings back many memories from the early days of Twinseltown. Cherish it man. There's nothing else more important.

Are you going to have access to that 1' space behind the windows? I see the windows open outward. Not sure if it matters, but seems like a feature you might need one day. Maybe when the possums.....errr, koalas take up residence in that nice, cool, private home you've built, the window gives an easy way to extract them? LOL

Hey there Tony,
It's been great to have Thomas involved with the work where I can. I drew the line with him painting outside, where more paint ended up on the grass than the timber posts. He's here on weekends so I try to find some jobs that he can do Will be nice to have a handyman look after me in my old age! You are so right... It's all about him and the moments are gone all too fast.

I wasn't planning on having access to that I foot gap. It's actually less than 1 foot for a lot of the wall, as the chimney intrudes on that space. I see the benefit of having some access point however it may cause an issue with the soundproofing efforts.

With regards to that, I managed to get about 1/3 of the clips and channel up by myself. Wasn't a lot of fun being dumped on with blown insulation and caused a lot of mess. Broke my drill bit so need to take a trip to the hardware for a good drill and driver for the clips. Wore out a couple of my Cheapies today. I will post some photos when I get the rest of the channel up. It's not so hard but it is fiddly work. Predrilling the hardwood was a monumental PITA!

Hopefully have the channel up by the end of the week and then I can start the prewiring.

Onwards and upwards....

Follow my thread
post #220 of 1009 Old 09-27-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi Greg,

Great to see the progress you're making ... but I think you've just about reached the allowed limit of sequential HT build posts ... haven't you got another deck or something that needs doing ??!!

Peter M

post #221 of 1009 Old 09-28-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Hi Greg,

Great to see the progress you're making ... but I think you've just about reached the allowed limit of sequential HT build posts ... haven't you got another deck or something that needs doing ??!!

Hey there Peter,
I was acutely aware that I had reached a self indulgent level of consecutive construction posts. Thanks for chiming in. The count has now restarted! Wondered where you had got to.
As a matter of fact I do need to do a bit more work on the deck. Gave the handrails a good three coats last week and of course we had a heavy dew overnight.... Need to give them a sand and another coat as the paint ran. Not happy!
Anyway, with the rain falling now and a wet weekend predicted, I figure that I will get as much done inside. So far I have removed 6 full garbage bags of that horrible paper pulp insulation that fell all over me. Got another wall clipped and channelled tonight. Started 5.30pm and before I knew it the time was 8.30pm. Time flies! Glad I bought the light.... Best investment I have made so far. Makes working so much easier and once I block those windows I will have no other source of light.
Am hoping to finish the clips and channel tomorrow or Friday night and then maybe have a crack at laying the subfloor over the weekend.

Or I may just drink wine. Haven't decided yet. How's your place going?

Follow my thread
post #222 of 1009 Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I suppose I should add a few photos of progress so far. I have channelled and clipped 3 walls and part of the ceiling . Been a bit more fiddly than I thought it would be.

I suppose I really should clean up the rest of that blown insulation. Maybe tonight...

Sorry about the photo quality... taken with Iphone. 2.2 Megapixels in all its glory!
LL
LL
LL
LL

Follow my thread
post #223 of 1009 Old 09-28-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Greg,

Your clips and channel look good ... very neat and tidy installation.

I'd suggest you think about removing all the blown paper insulation ... that stuff sounds like a real fire hazard ... be very careful if you have any lights near it !

Any decision yet on material to isolate the floating floor from the subfloor ? How did the price of the Angelstep work out ?

My place is still coming along but the wet weather has slowed it a bit. A lot of the electrical pre-wire is done and most of the plumbing first fix is in. Nothing terribly photo worthy. I guess all the wires terminated in the garage is probably worth a shot so I'll grab one this weekend.

Looking forward to Sunday night ... go the Sea Eagles !!!!

Peter M

post #224 of 1009 Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lookin good Greg....you've got more patience than me, I'd have broken a dozen drill bits by now! one or two is pretty good!

I'll echo PeterM's comments on the insulation. Get someone to take that out......or go hire a massive dust extractor for a weekend (I mean massive, with like a 10" hose on it)...particularly given where you live

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #225 of 1009 Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Lookin good Greg....you've got more patience than me, I'd have broken a dozen drill bits by now! one or two is pretty good!

I'll echo PeterM's comments on the insulation. Get someone to take that out......or go hire a massive dust extractor for a weekend (I mean massive, with like a 10" hose on it)...particularly given where you live

All good points. Thanks guys. I will look into it. Not going to run any electrics across the ceiling. Removing and making safe the current oyster light (very stylish!) but I understand it would be better to get rid of the stuff. Problem is that it's above every room. There's stacks if it.

Finished the walls tonight with clips and channel. Just a couple of end clips to fit and some of the bottom rows of channel. Onto the ceiling over the weekend. Tidied up a bit but that insulation just keeps appearing!

Have a great weekend guys. I will be building the two Danley kits in the coming weeks so feel free to bring your cordless drills! Let's see if three half cut guys can get a DTS10 together and operational!

Cheers.

Greg

Follow my thread
post #226 of 1009 Old 09-29-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'll see if i can find some time to pop round........FYI I have a broken rib......

Peter the Greek

Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #227 of 1009 Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Peter, sorry to hear about that. Painful injury and not much can be done but rest or copious amounts of my preferred pain relief method... See previous post.
Hope it gets better soon. Will be a while on the dts10's. Want to get drywall up first and let the dust settle. You are most welcome to drop in for a beer whenever. Just call first. Would be good to get a critique on some of the options I'm facing.
Have a great long weekend.
Greg

Follow my thread
post #228 of 1009 Old 09-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Greg, looking great ! Putting up the clips can be a real drag, but the channel goes up quick. When are you planning on putting up the gyprock ?

Have a good weekend.
post #229 of 1009 Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Jamie,
Agree with you on the clips. Painful job. Almost done now. Channel is all but up now but I have not completed the bottom row of clips as I am still unclear on what to do about the floor. Contacted the recommended supplier for rubber mat. Received a quote for almost 1800.00 for supply of the materials. I think I may just purchase another 10 sheets of the particle board, Green Glue and then screw them together as per Teds recommendation. Adds four hundred bucks to what I was planning but it's a whole lot better than 1800 dollars. Ideally I should do both but there is a budget and I don't want to smash it too much. I can't.
I need to run wiring for speakers and then get the sparky back to run cable for the lights. That will be in a few weeks so gyprock after that. The gyprock is being delivered 10/10 so I need to sort the floor before then!
Enjoy your long weekend.
Greg.

Follow my thread
post #230 of 1009 Old 10-01-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Greg,

Don't worry about the floor before the walls. Preferred detail is to stop the gypsum board on the walls about 10mm above the existing floor, then stop the multi-layer floor about 10mm short of the walls and fill with CSR Fire & Acoustic Mastic. Don't forget that the first layer of gypsum board must be finished to both ceiling and walls before starting the second layer. You probably already know this but it's worth repeating.

Nice weather for indoor work !!

Cheers,

Peter M

post #231 of 1009 Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Greg,

Don't worry about the floor before the walls. Preferred detail is to stop the gypsum board on the walls about 10mm above the existing floor, then stop the multi-layer floor about 10mm short of the walls and fill with CSR Fire & Acoustic Mastic. Don't forget that the first layer of gypsum board must be finished to both ceiling and walls before starting the second layer. You probably already know this but it's worth repeating.

Nice weather for indoor work !!

Cheers,

Hey Pete,

Glad you did chime in then...I was going to put the floor down before I tackled the walls. My understanding was that the floors went down first but I am happy to be proven wrong. No problems, I will just move the particle board out of the way and get the fellows to load the drywall (all 52 sheets of it) into the centre of the room.

Peter came over today to catch up. Had a good chat over a couple of coffees (make mental note... make next meeting later so that beer replaces coffee!) and we chewed over what can be done with my room. I have a couple of challenges. All of which I am sure can be addressed, but at considerable cost. You should join us next time.

I am making plans to finish the channel on the ceiling by about midweek. Don't get much done on weekends with Thomas here and feel a bit guilty if I am working. Still, the weather is a shocker this weekend. We are just about to sit down together and watch the Grand Final. May be the only time he EVER hears me cheering for Manly!

Have a great weekend.

Greg

Follow my thread
post #232 of 1009 Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Awesome to see another OZ build.

I will have to keep following this one also. I look forward to seeing what you do with the floor.

My HT room will be way off from now so I need to learn while I am waiting.

post #233 of 1009 Old 10-02-2011, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

We are just about to sit down together and watch the Grand Final. May be the only time he EVER hears me cheering for Manly!

Have a great weekend.

Greg

I know how much that must hurt As a life long Manly fan I'm used to it !!!

It's certainly a great weekend now !!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Peter M

post #234 of 1009 Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you gave me a choice between root canal and barracking for manly, you would find me in the dentist chair. However, best team won and was probably a good indicator of season form. That's the best you'll get from a life long dragons fan!
Enjoy the remainder of your weekend
Greg

Follow my thread
post #235 of 1009 Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

If you gave me a choice between root canal and barracking for manly, you would find me in the dentist chair. Greg

LOL ... fairly typical though ... makes winning all that much sweeter. The Dragons had a very strange year ???

Peter M

post #236 of 1009 Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Cant watch much RL but was nice I got to watch a final at least. I can only watch games that are replayed at 1130 at night on fridays....I think that is the day.

SO for me it was nice to be able to watch a game when it actually occurred.

Just happy that now I can watch at 1050 NFL.

post #237 of 1009 Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Awesome to see another OZ build.

I will have to keep following this one also. I look forward to seeing what you do with the floor.

My HT room will be way off from now so I need to learn while I am waiting.

Hey there mate,
Thanks for joining the madness. I have hit the dizzy heights of four subscribers now! Hold on tight... Its gonna be thrilling!
There are a few of us on here now. Causing trouble whenever we can, mainly building everything except home theaters! So far I have managed a deck and a new kitchen. Peter M takes the cake with building a whole house and the other Peter ran out of funds/steam/time/spousal approval after building the Taj Mahal of dog kennels. Figured it was about time for me to start on the theatre room otherwise the ANZUS treaty was in doubt. you know what these Americans are like.....
Ex picked up my son and left about 7.30 tonight. Gave me the opportunity to crack another couple of hours in. Have all but four of the ceiling channels in now. Actually had a few extra clips so I have used a few more clips on the ceiling than I probably needed to. Would rather avoid having half a Tonne of gyprock 16mm x2 falling on my head.
I have decided to go with the double particle board/ green glue sandwich for the floor. As much as I want to avoid the extra four hundred bucks I may as well do it as best as I can afford. Hopefully it will be enough. I am also being mindful of the fact that this is a ten year house so I don't want to overspend too much as the reality is that I will knock down and rebuild down the track.
I hope to finish the channel tomorrow night and then look at sorting out some of the wiring. I have only 50 metres of 12 AWG speaker wire so I think I may need to get some more in order for the surrounds.
Back to work tomorrow. Bummer after a good long weekend!
Greg.

Follow my thread
post #238 of 1009 Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny that.

I have been planning my HT for a long time and the only thing I have gotten done is a remodeled kitchen. Just now after 8 months finishing the grout for the tiles. Then I have to finish the floorboards. Did most of the house but then couldn't do our bedroom. When we did the other rooms we moved all the stuff in our room and never wanted to move it back. Now we have a very cramped bedroom but the rest of the house looks good.

Then came the eldest daughter getting a net ball goal which I had to put in the ground. Then it was " hey lets add some pavers for a 3m x 5m area for her." SO then came that and then I always get the "why are you always talking about speakers." Well its because I love to listen to them and never get to do what I want to do.

My ideas for my home theater will be massive overkill and the wifey doesn't even like bass at all. She could care less about the whole thing. I always get the why questions and I dont care about this stuff.

Oh well some day I will start my own thread on my HT. At least everyone who has started there thread has a room for there HT. I dont have any walls or anything. That wont be even started for another year or so.

Either way....I will be here taking notes as much as I can.

post #239 of 1009 Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

My ideas for my home theater will be massive overkill and the wifey doesn't even like bass at all. She could care less about the whole thing. I always get the why questions and I dont care about this stuff.

My wife wasn't really interested until our first dedicated room, and then suddenly all my gear wasn't an eyesore in the living room plus she seemed to realise the potential for entertaining guests. The fact that some guests literally had to be thrown out at 3:00am as they were enjoying themselves so much also seemed to sway her. And that was in my old "cobbled together in a rented place" room.

Peter M

post #240 of 1009 Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I look forward for the day when I have some friends to have over.

Living in Australia now for 3 years has had me find many new acquaintances and 2 new friends. Forgot how hard it was to make friends. Growing up it was easy and being in the Navy it was easy, now things are different.

Most of the time I am chatting with forum friends which generally are in another country and , like now, in another state. But I am sure that will change down the road. Although I am pretty picky.

Either way I know she will be happy with me being happy and not talking about it anymore. SO for her she will be happy I have a HT room. The kids would be happy for a big TV. I hope in the future to have movie night with my friends.

I have had one of my basketball friends come over and as soon as we started a movie he didn't want to go. That was two movies and we started at 10pm. His wife had to drag him away so I understand what your saying.

Sorry but I am not trying to make this post a sad one just how its been.

Other wise what are you going to be using for powering your speakers? Or are you using a AVR for everything?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page