Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #421 of 802 Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Jeff, the photos of your daylight clouds look pretty darn good, especially for a first try.

Thanks also for sharing the night sky shots. I agree with you that a clear sky on a dark night is truly awe-inspiring. I still find it remarkable how such a spectacle is so realistically simulated in your murals...and on so many different kinds of ceiling configurations .

Tom

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 802 Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That's exactly the thought Thayer I had too. After I'd painted them, I was thinking, "those are off to the side... not overhead". So, I went outside and took pictures of some clouds looking straight up... And will give it another shot at painting them again. But I appreciate your observation because it's dead on. One thing I think I'll do is to put the paper on the ceiling instead of the walls... that may mentally remind me that I'm looking up, and not to the side.

Once I try again I'll post the pictures and would love your input. I can take criticism and invite it. I did the same, and still do, with my star murals... and I get great feedback which allows me to make adjustments. So, thanks for the comments. They also ( since I'm not an artist) made me feel good for noticing the same thing.

Struggling with clouds, Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71sbeetle View Post

I think the clouds you made as well as the ones previously posted look realistic. Being in the air all day I get to look at them a lot. The only thing that bothers me is the view of all the clouds posted looks like it is from a horizontal perspective, as viewed from the side of the cloud, not from below. Maybe that's just me, but it bothered me from the first picture posted lol.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #423 of 802 Old 08-16-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I agree, they are great looking clouds... from a side view. But look really nice Jeff. I tried taking pictures of underneath clouds too. I found that just letting your arm/hand having a mind of its own works best. Try not to be an artist, but a 5 year old kid in kindergarten trying finger painting for the first time. No shape or outcome in mind.

I hope your poppers and party potatoes were delicious.

Keep up the great work with those clouds, your doing great!
post #424 of 802 Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
How about these?

I tried to get them to look like I was looking up at them, and then as you go out towards the edges... showing more of a side view. Did I accomplish what I had hoped for? Remember... this is only my second attempt. :-) Sorry, but I only wish that I could get them to look even close to this. Give me time!!! I'm on a mission to paint real looking clouds! :-)

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #425 of 802 Old 08-16-2011, 01:08 PM

Liked: 10
Is that a picture of real clouds or a painting ? That looks awesome if it's a painting !!!
post #426 of 802 Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I wish it were a real painting. I guess that my "I only wish I could get them to look even close to this" wasn't strong enough.

No, I didn't paint this. It is a picture that I doctored a little. Oh, how I wish. But, give me time!!!

But, this is the kind of thing you meant when you told me to paint as if I were looking up... right?

Quote:

Is that a picture of real clouds or a painting ? That looks awesome if it's a painting !!!

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #427 of 802 Old 08-16-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

This is actually what I saw as I left @robinsj's house, after painting the night sky on his ceiling. He's the one who posted a page back that had the ceiling with the beams in it. As I was getting into my truck... I just had to snap some pictures of this sky. It was really cool.

Quote:

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #428 of 802 Old 08-16-2011, 02:02 PM

Yes that is what I meant, I mean the other ones look awesome too, but to me it would look odd to look up and see those, if they were on the walls it would make more sense to my brain (or what's left of it lol). Those star ceilings you make are simply breathtaking !
post #429 of 802 Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I would start off with a cloud painted grey, giving you a base coat. Then follow up with white twards the outer edges of the clouds. I think I may give it a go myself. I'd hate to like it... I'd want to redo my stellar ceiling. On second thought, I'd better not.

This is the technique I was trying for.
post #430 of 802 Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

I was asked a while back to post a link to an auction that is taking place here in Utah, that is being held for a little girl (the niece of a friend of mine) who has cancer. I donated a mural for them to auction off and it is happening this coming Saturday.

Now, I am not sure whether you can bid online, as a silent auction, or if it is going to be a live auction. I have been so busy that I have only glanced at the site. Plus, I can't stay long on sites that deal with sick kids. because it breaks my heart (I even had to leave a Make-A-Wish foundation dinner when they showed a video of some of the kids that they'd helped. I'm a real girly-man when it comes to kids).

Anyway, here is the link for anyone interested. http://www.anythingforafriend.com/he...ntha-milbourn/

If you happen to bid on it and win... and you are out of state, I will paint your mural for you, but I will need to set up other jobs in the area first, to cover my travel expenses.

But, if you happen to be in the Salt Lake area, or surrounding, then please feel free to bid on it (generously) and I'll be happy to come and paint for you.

I hope that this kind of a post is OK. From what I have come to know about the AVS forum... I assume it is. Love this forum and the members.

Again, http://www.anythingforafriend.com/he...ntha-milbourn/
PM me if you have questions. It may take me a while to get back to you... but I am trying my best with all of my irons in the fire :-(

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #431 of 802 Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 PM

Jeff,
left you a message, awaiting patiently.. sorta
post #432 of 802 Old 08-18-2011, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

I know, I know.... and I am so sorry. I think that I just got everyone answered... so let me know if you have other questions. Please email
me with them... it'll be much quicker (ahem) for me to reply.

Thanks for your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1lee View Post

Jeff,
left you a message, awaiting patiently.. sorta

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #433 of 802 Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Where can you buy the good paint on the net? Al
post #434 of 802 Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct View Post

Goto NightSkyMurals.com and email Jeff. He has "The Best" paint to use for star murals.
post #435 of 802 Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Goto NightSkyMurals.com and email Jeff. He has "The Best" paint to use for star murals.

I sent him an email about 5 or 6 days ago, it may have gotten lost in the spam filter though. Jeff, check your spam box if my email happened to get lost.
post #436 of 802 Old 10-14-2011, 08:40 PM

I saw one ceiling with the coffered ceiling and star mural. The ceiling lit appeared to be a light brown. Will that color work for the star ceiling when it is dark? I really liked how the light brown ceiling went with the darker brown coffered ceiling. Or would a black ceiling be better for the stars and coffered ceiling?

I sent Jeff an email. He responded about a month later...
post #437 of 802 Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO, it doesn't matter what the color of the ceiling is... when the lights are out, no one can tell the color. Mine is sky blue with clouds... when the lights are out (black lights on) you can't tell its a sky blue.
post #438 of 802 Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

IMO, it doesn't matter what the color of the ceiling is... when the lights are out, no one can tell the color. Mine is sky blue with clouds... when the lights are out (black lights on) you can't tell its a sky blue.

I agree with Xzener---when the room and ceiling are truly darkened, the ceiling color matters little.

One caveat: If you want to achieve an optimal star field illusion using black lights only to charge the mural (but not remain on during viewing), I think you need the ability to create a very dark environment. In that particular circumstance, it is highly desirable to have complete (or nearly complete) lighting control in your room---the darker the better.

Tom

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #439 of 802 Old 10-15-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention, the base coat of my ceiling was painted with UV protectant paint (outdoor paint). It's only a theory, but I think it helps keep the lighter color paint from glowing under black light.
post #440 of 802 Old 10-15-2011, 06:46 PM

thanks! that's the answer that i wanted!
post #441 of 802 Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Any recommendations for a painter in the Houston, Texas area who could give me a quote?
post #442 of 802 Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksahai View Post

Any recommendations for a painter in the Houston, Texas area who could give me a quote?

What are you painting??

AND WHERE THE HECK IS JEFF?!?!
post #443 of 802 Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Really, really, really sorry for not being hear over the past couple of months to answer questions (though some were answered by others for which I am grateful). I have been on the west coast, east coast, flyover country, Canada, Texas and Florida.... and am even more behind that I was a while back (Trying to take care of an elderly parent doesn't help).

I've also been working hard on trying to get this stencil project finished up. I was close, but the guy that I had helping me on it decided that he needed something already finished to devote his time to. Something with an income. Where is the fun in that, I ask??? :-)

I will try to be better at getting back here more often to answer questions... and add anything I can to this thread.

BTW, I have seen some really nice theater rooms as I've traveled, with lots of nice things in them. Amazing how far a theater room has evolved over the past few years.

So, let me go through the questions that are here and then get over to my email. As mentioned in one of the posts I just saw.... it took me a month to reply to him. Wow, you were lucky! :-) I am going to be even more embarrassed when I answer some of the people, today, who wrote me over two months ago. Now that is TERRIBLE customer service and I am hoping that they will be understanding. Any of you a good secretary?

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #444 of 802 Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct View Post

Going for it yourself, eh? (Little Canadian lingo I picked up while there a few weeks ago)

As has been mentioned, I have offered to let members of the forum buy some from me... but I am also happy to direct you to other sources if you'd like to go that route. If you will send me a message, or email if you can find it... I will give you some options. There is some paint that you'd want to stay away from and others that are better.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #445 of 802 Old 12-06-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor34 View Post

I sent him an email about 5 or 6 days ago, it may have gotten lost in the spam filter though. Jeff, check your spam box if my email happened to get lost.

I am soooo sorry! It is hard when you are a one-man operation and all of a sudden a few newspapers and TV shows spotlight you and you get busy. I wasn't ready for so much interest all at once and I really let a lot of people down by really bad service.

I hope that I answered your email satisfactorily. I am still behind after criss-crossing the country recently.

If you, or anyone else has a question and you email me (or put it here) and I don't get right back... PLEASE, email me again and keep bugging me. I now that sounds like a rotten way to do things, but until I can find some good help, I am stuck.

I know that I have offered some advice to a few people from this forum who have wanted some answers. Hopefully they worked.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #446 of 802 Old 12-06-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Stencil! Stencil! Stencil!
post #447 of 802 Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for jumping in. You and Tom have kept things going nicely and you both offer good advice. BTW.... just made more of the Jalapeño/cream cheese/bacon things. Oh MAN!!! Also the potatoes have been made a few times. Tell your wife she's a great cook. Don't know how you guys aren't on the heavy side.

OK (Now for everyone else who is reading)... He's right, once the lights go out, the ceiling color is usually no longer a color. It's just light or dark.... or not even visible. And, just a comment on ceiling color and the painted stars - I am still not positive, but I am leaning towards the darker ceiling colors cutting some of the glow down a bit.

Here is my thinking on that point. I think that with a lighter color for the ceiling... the glow of the paint will reflect somewhat and allow the paint to glow at the full potential. With a darker color... I think that the painted ceiling would lessen some of the reflecting ability.

Now, I have done all colors of ceiling and I haven't noticed a huge difference, if one at all. But, I still wanted to throw that out. Also, the darker the ceiling color is the more chance there is of seeing some stars in the light. Usually those are the constellation stars because they have a thicker paint, with more glow pigments.

I hope I didn't just confuse the issue. I have a way of doing that by over explaining things. :-(

Quote:

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #448 of 802 Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

BTW.... just made more of the Jalapeño/cream cheese/bacon things. Oh MAN!!! Also the potatoes have been made a few times. T(

Enough about the star ceilings - lets hear the details on these.
post #449 of 802 Old 12-06-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tom! Let me thank you too, as I did xzener. You guys add a lot to this thread, as do all of the great questions that are asked.

True... the best way to view a mural is to let the black (or any fluorescent) lights charge up the paint for 10 or 15 minutes and then turn them completely off. Then sit back and let your mind go. Tom has achieved TOTAL darkness in his room... so he is an authority on viewing a mural in that condition.

I'm still really jealous of all of you on this forum. I've wanted a theater room for a long time, but still don't have one yet. So every time I paint in one (which is in about 90% of the rooms I paint) I am envious.

Would love to have one for family movie nights. Enjoy your rooms everyone!

Tell your wife "Hi" for me please. Visions of Texas sized French Toast just popped into my head. :-)

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post

I agree with Xzener---when the room and ceiling are truly darkened, the ceiling color matters little.

One caveat: If you want to achieve an optimal star field illusion using black lights only to charge the mural (but not remain on during viewing), I think you need the ability to create a very dark environment. In that particular circumstance, it is highly desirable to have complete (or nearly complete) lighting control in your room---the darker the better.

Tom

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #450 of 802 Old 12-06-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Never thought about that. Would a Matte finish do the same thing? Maybe one of these days I will do some experimenting.

Quote:

I forgot to mention, the base coat of my ceiling was painted with UV protectant paint (outdoor paint). It's only a theory, but I think it helps keep the lighter color paint from glowing under black light.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page