Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #631 of 780 Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

Hey Jeff , yup that's us cool.gif. A few things to tie up here at work before I get on the big plane this weekend.

Im excited to get out there. Have a good flight...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 780 Old 04-05-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
100,000 Views!!! Thanks everyone for sharing your questions and your suggestions!

There are some really smart people on these forums, and you're some of the nicest people too!

Thanks!

Jeff

post #633 of 780 Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I remember reading this but now I can't find it. If you charge the ceiling before watching a movie will it be visible or is all the light from the screen too much? I'm looking for people's opinions of how it looks while the movie is on.

My soffit is only 6 inches deep so I don't think I can have lights setup and on during the movie.

post #634 of 780 Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
My painted stars are recessed in coffers but they still get washed out from reflected light coming off the screen. If the black lights are kept on, this isn't a problem, but without the black lights, there is just too much light in the room to keep the stars visible during a movie.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #635 of 780 Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Right... I was going to say the same things that Spaceman mentioned. Unless you have a good sized soffit, that blocks the projector, and screen, light from getting to the ceiling... it would be tough to see stars. Maybe with a good charge you would see some stars during the darkest parts of the movie, with black light off. Otherwise, you'd want the lights on during the movie to see the stars... or just charge the stars and use the room as your private planetarium. I've had some customers tell me that they have friends who come over and want to sit under the stars either before or after the movie. OK... I'll let others who have one tell you how it works for them. Thanks Spaceman for jumping in with your reply.

post #636 of 780 Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Am I reading your comments correctly that of blue lights are in during the movie you'll see the stars?

post #637 of 780 Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. Anywhere that is getting sufficient light from your black lights will have visible stars during a movie (as long as the black lights are on). In my case, I have 6 recessed coffers that get complete coverage with black lights. With the black lights on, the stars are just as visible during a movie as they are without a movie. For a large ceiling with only a perimeter treatment of black lights, my guess would be that the stars in the middle of the room might still get washed out during a movie, particularly if you have a shallow soffit, but I have never seen this setup in person so others would need to weigh in.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #638 of 780 Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Yes. Anywhere that is getting sufficient light from your black lights will have visible stars during a movie (as long as the black lights are on). In my case, I have 6 recessed coffers that get complete coverage with black lights. With the black lights on, the stars are just as visible during a movie as they are without a movie. For a large ceiling with only a perimeter treatment of black lights, my guess would be that the stars in the middle of the room might still get washed out during a movie, particularly if you have a shallow soffit, but I have never seen this setup in person so others would need to weigh in.

In your case, do the blacklights being on impact your movie watching in any way?
post #639 of 780 Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought they would since, as a general rule, black lights turn everything white to purple. I had concerns that the screen would become this large purple rectangle in the front of the room. For whatever reason, the screen stays white, but things like clothes, teeth and fingernails do glow throughout the room. While I don't find this particularly distracting, I usually keep the black lights off during a movie. I keep them on while guests are coming into the room and during the previews, but turn them off once the movie starts. They don't seem to impact image quality. It's just a personal preference.

When watching tv shows or sporting events, I keep some of the recessed lighting on at a dim level and will often keep the black lights on as well.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #640 of 780 Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Hey! I just found this thread after browsing the home theater section for some time and I'd be interested in seeing some of the comparison photos between fiber optic and painted star ceilings.It looks like all the images that were in post #1 are not longer working. Ideally for my new basement theater, I'd like to create milky way view but I don't know what the best way of going about this would be.

I was thinking of trying to create something like the top half of this photo (just the darker sky portion): http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0710/MilkyWayRoad_landolfi.jpg

Is that doable?
post #641 of 780 Old 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought they would since, as a general rule, black lights turn everything white to purple. I had concerns that the screen would become this large purple rectangle in the front of the room. For whatever reason, the screen stays white, but things like clothes, teeth and fingernails do glow throughout the room. While I don't find this particularly distracting, I usually keep the black lights off during a movie. I keep them on while quests are coming into the room and during the previews, but turn them off once the movie starts. They don't seem to impact image quality. It's just a personal preference.

When watching tv shows or sporting events, I keep some of the recessed lighting on at a dim level and will often keep the black lights on as well.

I like that idea. If I can figure out how to incorporate black lights into my soffit design, then I think I will pull the trigger and do exactly what you described.
post #642 of 780 Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I thought they would since, as a general rule, black lights turn everything white to purple. I had concerns that the screen would become this large purple rectangle in the front of the room. For whatever reason, the screen stays white, but things like clothes, teeth and fingernails do glow throughout the room. While I don't find this particularly distracting, I usually keep the black lights off during a movie. I keep them on while guests are coming into the room and during the previews, but turn them off once the movie starts. They don't seem to impact image quality. It's just a personal preference.

Hi Spaceman,

Indeed, it's a matter of personal preference.

I prefer to watch movies in an environment that is as dark as I can make it. So, I don't use black lighting (or any other lights except the projector) when screening a video. For me, watching a film in a room under the glow of a black light draws attention away from what is being projected on the screen, making the black light effect a distraction...especially when a viewer happens to be wearing white or other light colored clothing biggrin.gif.

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #643 of 780 Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Master Bedroom; star level 3
cloud wall mural started as this one but modified and added in reverse at the corner to get the length for both walls
http://www.eazywallz.com/evening-above-the-clouds-wall-mural/

cloud sky mini mural going in living room; star level 2-3
mural was purchased here
http://www.eazywallz.com/clouds-in-the-sky-wall-mural/

we also like to shop at http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/ for framed wall pictures and where we purchased the moon mosaic in peel stick material
They started offering all photos in peel stick fabric also like eazywallz.

Well lets see where to start. Thanks Jeff for the night sky in our room.
Jeff dropped in last week before my last weekend home and painted our master bedroom. My wife was excited but curious what the hell was going on in there smile.gif As she tried to peek and could only catch a glimpse of black light but no stars lol. She was kidding around with Jeff saying it sounded like he had woodpeckers in there. In which he told her yup just toss food for them and they go to work on the ceiling pecking away.

Even when he was finished had black light still on and told her what do you think. The light was washing out all but the brightest of the stars. I was just laughing to myself cause I knew there was going to be a ton of stars in darkness but I really didn't know what to expect either. She just gripped my hand and we sat down keeping our eyes closed.

Jeff painted the whole ceiling with stars, constellations of our choice and the milky way. We have a moon he also painted around to make it stand out. The walls we have a large cloud mural already so he brought the stars down into that. The lines of stars go up over the windows making the effect of mountain silhouettes when complete darkness. Otherwise the windows would stand out like block buildings. Our entire star scene is "windowed" by the crown moulding and columns we have in three places of the room.

Daytime it's like a view above the clouds. Night time it's like the room is cutout of a mountain top to the star sky.

I was honestly stunned a bit when we closed our eyes for a few minutes and opened them for the first time in the dark. We were on the floor looking up and at first it was overwhelming to my brain to orient myself then had layers of more and more ...and more stars. It took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust. Jeff asked if we could see them around the moon using it as a gauge. Barely at first so he mentioned we weren't there yet he sees hundreds.

Eventually there were so many my eyes didn't know what to think. Only thing that came to mind first was a planetarium in the bedroom...which I thought for a second uh oh we'll never sleep haha. I told Jeff I'd post about the milky-way. I want to say my words were something like it was not what I was expecting. It's far more fluid and gets fatter as the brighter stars lessen in charge a bit maybe 30min after turning off the black lights. My favorite part is the milky-way leading into the largest part of the wall stars between mountain silhouettes. I asked what level this was cause well I asked for a level 3 quote and it seemed like a lot more lol. . .he jokingly said 5. I laughed about trying to get that much in fiber optic. Level three was chosen Jeff said to make the mountain silhouette effect stand out better. It really does.

My wife was blown away I think silent at first then a wow came out and stunned silence as well. Her past experience of glow paint is the cheapo stuff pink and yellows just tossed around like glow sticks with the ends cut off. She was nervous a bit cause she herself recently painted the room bright white and put up the cloud mural section at a time. She said just wow it really looks just like a planetarium and told me she wasn't expecting it to be so professional. Needless to say I don't hear a single complaint from her about having it done. Found her blocking out the windows during the day to look at them lol.

Both murals turned out very nice and hard to describe. Camera's just can't capture the look yet. Maybe a pro could but we'll try with exposure settings on a different camera. We had another smaller panel of sky mural with clouds painted in addition to the room. It's about 9ft by 4ft. It will eventually go in the living room. Jeff painted around the clouds so as the light fades they poke out at your eyes in my opinion it's 3D when half lit. When dark the clouds can be made out like real sky within the stars. Pretty trippy.

In the bedroom We have led strips running along the bottom of the cloud walls for ambient light. It's controlled by remote for color changing, dimming etc gives the cloud wall neat effects. Working on permanent black light mounting to charge the stars. For now we just use the $10 T4 CFL black lights from Walmart for about 20min then blackout the room.

Before we settled on paint we had thoughts of doing all fiber optic panel drop ceiling. You know the full computer programmed everything.
I'm sure a fiber optic ceiling could get close with enough money and effort but it would be one hell of a stars/panel ratio. Can't get the milky way effect with fiber that I know of. The room would of looked horrible during the day with black panels of fibers hanging. During daylight the painted star sky is concealed as if nothing was there.

We'll try to post some star pics. Attached is one Jeff took of the mini sky mural going in the living room. You'll have to lean up to your screen and view off angle to see the clouds standing out a bit.

The mini cloud mural

-
Do you have any woodpecker food?
NightSkyMurals likes this.

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #644 of 780 Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Master Bedroom; star level 3
cloud wall mural started as this one but modified and added in reverse at the corner to get the length for both walls
http://www.eazywallz.com/evening-above-the-clouds-wall-mural/

Do you have any woodpecker food?

Hi, one of my concerns, that I asked about in here recently, but would like to get another opinion, is how bright it is when trying to sleep. Let's say you charge them, and turn off the lights and then 20 minutes later want to sleep, is the room bright and annoying (assuming you like to sleep in a pitch black room, which I do)?

What about on evenings when you don't charge them?

I'm considering this both for my home theater, but also possibly my master bedroom.
post #645 of 780 Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post

Hi, one of my concerns, that I asked about in here recently, but would like to get another opinion, is how bright it is when trying to sleep. Let's say you charge them, and turn off the lights and then 20 minutes later want to sleep, is the room bright and annoying (assuming you like to sleep in a pitch black room, which I do)?

What about on evenings when you don't charge them?

I'm considering this both for my home theater, but also possibly my master bedroom.

I had no trouble sleeping under them after they charged up for hours under 4 black lights. Asked my wife the same thing just now and she said no issues of her sleeping under them either. They really only get a good bright charge with black light. If a slight charge happens by daylight from windows by nightfall you won't see much.

I have a few electronic outlets with tiny leds in them and they are brighter than the stars after awhile. Eventually your eyes adjust to the star field and you'll notice any ambient light intruding with the view ie a night light or your bright radio clock etc biggrin.gif

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #646 of 780 Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post

Let's say you charge them, and turn off the lights and then 20 minutes later want to sleep, is the room bright and annoying (assuming you like to sleep in a pitch black room, which I do)?

Even immediately after charging, the stars aren't bright enough to be a distraction if your eyes are closed and you are trying to fall asleep.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #647 of 780 Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I just dropped by to see if there were any questions I needed to answer... and found that they're already answered for me. Thanks to everyone who asked questions... and to those who jumped in and answered them!!! It's much better when someone, other than me, answers questions and I thank you. I can say whatever I think people want to hear (I try not to, but it may come across that way)... but when customers answer them, there is no reason to stretch the truth. So... again, thanks!

Tom, did you get my email? I was down the road from you and wanted to drop a CD that I told you I'd send (about a year ago). I hope all is OK out your way. Watch for bears!

Had a great trip out to NC and Ohio recently. They also gave me a sweet car as a rental, and... no speeding tickets!!! :-)

Thanks for posting those pictures Autox320. I needed some with the room put together. Love the look of your room

Jeff

post #648 of 780 Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations to Mario for having his theater featured in an Electronic House article. Well deserved for a great guy and awesome theater!

Thanks for the mention Mario!

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/theater_shakes_with_112_surround_sound_d-box_motion_simulator
HuskerOmaha likes this.

post #649 of 780 Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

I just dropped by to see if there were any questions I needed to answer... and found that they're already answered for me. Thanks to everyone who asked questions... and to those who jumped in and answered them!!! It's much better when someone, other than me, answers questions and I thank you. I can say whatever I think people want to hear (I try not to, but it may come across that way)... but when customers answer them, there is no reason to stretch the truth. So... again, thanks!

Tom, did you get my email? I was down the road from you and wanted to drop a CD that I told you I'd send (about a year ago). I hope all is OK out your way. Watch for bears!

Had a great trip out to NC and Ohio recently. They also gave me a sweet car as a rental, and... no speeding tickets!!! :-)

Thanks for posting those pictures Autox320. I needed some with the room put together. Love the look of your room

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No, I didn't get your email. confused.gif When did you send it? Perhaps you have the wrong email address for me?

Anyway, we surely regret not getting to see you when you were so nearby---we would have loved re-connecting with you. In case the issue is a wrong email address, I'll contact you by email to make sure you have the correct one. Let's be sure not to miss the next opportunity! smile.gif

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #650 of 780 Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Congratulations to Mario for having his theater featured in an Electronic House article. Well deserved for a great guy and awesome theater!

Thanks for the mention Mario!

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/theater_shakes_with_112_surround_sound_d-box_motion_simulator

Hi Jeff. Thanks so much. Kudos to you for such a great job on the hand painted star ceiling. Glad to see they got your company name in the article!

Mario

post #651 of 780 Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 19
We went with fiber optic and love it!

post #652 of 780 Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 PM

I'm sure it's been posted a lot already, but PLUS ONE for Wildfire lighting. We bought the new rail series using T5 BLB bulbs in 22"@14w ea. Linkable up to 300 watts end to end linkable connectors included. Dead silent ballast and probably the smallest brightest footprint blacklight we've ever seen. eek.gif

They could be almost blinding. My girl says they charge the stars way more than the other lights we have. The size just amazes us. Here is a pic of the three wildfire rail lights then a standard US quarter for reference and a standard walmart blacklight below. The lights are about the size of an index finger round.

post #653 of 780 Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tom... Got your email and I'll get that CD in the mail to you. Got your wife's email too. I appreciate those. Please give her my best!

Jeff

post #654 of 780 Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

I just got a picture from a customer (down the road from you Tom Hilton) who I painted for a few weeks ago. This is a single shot out of a time-lapse video that he made for me. If anyone wants... I will post a link to the video, once it's uploaded.

Hope you guys like this... and motivates some of you to doing a star ceiling... be in by someone else painting it, or going for a DIY project (have plenty of Ibuprofen on hand).

Jeff

post #655 of 780 Old 05-17-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

By the way... you can obviously see the ceiling fan in this picture. That is because there is a black light on in the room. With the light off, and the fan turned on, it would look as if there were no fan at all. It would just dissolve into the mural.

post #656 of 780 Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

I'm sure it's been posted a lot already, but PLUS ONE for Wildfire lighting. We bought the new rail series using T5 BLB bulbs in 22"@14w ea. Linkable up to 300 watts end to end linkable connectors included. Dead silent ballast and probably the smallest brightest footprint blacklight we've ever seen. eek.gif

They could be almost blinding. My girl says they charge the stars way more than the other lights we have. The size just amazes us. Here is a pic of the three wildfire rail lights then a standard US quarter for reference and a standard walmart blacklight below. The lights are about the size of an index finger round.

Here's a link for all those interested in these Ultrarail lights from Wildfire, Inc.: http://www.wildfirefx.com/wildfireasp/amazing/itemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=132&eq=&MatrixType=1

post #657 of 780 Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 PM

We'll I bought the wrong size(my fault) from slimfluorescent.com but I'll see if my girl will snap some pics. They are exactly the same quality lights and I should of read a few posts back to order them instead of wildfire. The pricing is better. The ordering process is better ie you get a conformation and tracking info with savio lighting. The housings are white coated aluminum instead of bare. For blacklights remove the diffuser shield.

Also ordered some 6500k daylight sets for other room lighting. They are ridiculous bright but will work perfect how we'll use them.
dabsabre likes this.

post #658 of 780 Old 05-19-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks you guys for posting about black lights... and sharing your experiences with different brands. That should help out others looking for some.

Jeff

post #659 of 780 Old 05-19-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I get asked a lot how I paint my murals... so I put together a video (under 1 minute) of me painting. Enjoy...

Click here to watch me paint a mural

Jeff
Tom Hilton likes this.

post #660 of 780 Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get asked a lot how I paint my murals... so I put together a video (under 1 minute) of me painting. Enjoy...

Click here to watch me paint a mural

Jeff

Really cool, Jeff!

This is an excellent visual aide that will really help me show (as well as describe) to my friends how you do your "wizardry" on a ceiling. smile.gif
NightSkyMurals likes this.

Tom

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page