Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #691 of 785 Old 10-30-2013, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

HAHA!! Love this video Jeff. I've always admired how you keep your technique a secret.

LOL... I know right. But, let me just point out one of my biggest reasons for keeping everyone out while I paint. First, it's true that I like to keep things secret, but one really big reason is because there is nothing like seeing the mural for the first time, once it is totally finished. If people watch me paint the mural, there is so much magic that is lost when I am finished. Sure they love it... but that initial "WOW" is not there. And, after spending hours in a hot room, dying from heat exhaustion, and the paint in my neck and lower back... I really need that initial "WOW" to be there. :-)

Thanks for catching on to my attempt at a little humor in that video. I'm very appreciative of the customer for sacrificing the "WOW" to snap all of those pics while I painted. I think that we were in there for about 4 hours and he snapped away the entire time. Very cool...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 785 Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
So Autox320... are you back in town? Thanks for the nice comments and for the suggestions on what you have found works best for you. I have heard from others that WildFireFX has great lights. SlimFluorescents have nice lights that connect to each other, but I have also heard that they have multiple lights in an order, at times, that don't always work. They seem to be good about replacing the bad ones... but if someone has the extra $$ for WildFireFX, I think that that is who I'd suggest getting lights from.

So, you changed out the light, eh? If you'd like... and if I am in the area again... I would be happy to drop by and add a few stars onto the new ceiling fan (no moving parts) so that it will disappear into the mural as well. I don't get out that way too often, but I'd be happy to do that if I am close. Then I could run up and say HI to Tom Hilton too... and hit a roadside stand for some boiled peanuts. I was hooked after the second bag.

How is the smaller mural that I painted, on that cloth that covers your drop-down screen? Does it work as you'd hoped? I love the idea. I have some great pictures of it.

Shoot me an email if you want me to touch up the new fan.

Jeff

post #693 of 785 Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

So Autox320... are you back in town? Thanks for the nice comments and for the suggestions on what you have found works best for you. I have heard from others that WildFireFX has great lights. SlimFluorescents have nice lights that connect to each other, but I have also heard that they have multiple lights in an order, at times, that don't always work. They seem to be good about replacing the bad ones... but if someone has the extra $$ for WildFireFX, I think that that is who I'd suggest getting lights from.

So, you changed out the light, eh? If you'd like... and if I am in the area again... I would be happy to drop by and add a few stars onto the new ceiling fan (no moving parts) so that it will disappear into the mural as well. I don't get out that way too often, but I'd be happy to do that if I am close. Then I could run up and say HI to Tom Hilton too... and hit a roadside stand for some boiled peanuts. I was hooked after the second bag.

How is the smaller mural that I painted, on that cloth that covers your drop-down screen? Does it work as you'd hoped? I love the idea. I have some great pictures of it.

Shoot me an email if you want me to touch up the new fan.

Jeff

Was home for a couple months, but was called back to work in Afghanistan. The wilffire is ridiculous bright. Probably went overkill with over 8ft of lights over the bed wall, but it charges the entire room in a couple minutes biggrin.gif Can see the mountain range silhouette right away after the switch is off.

Yes changed out the center light, but the fan looks fine for now. I'll let the lady know she can have the center of the fan done if she wishes. Appreciate the offer. The smaller mural we haven't mounted yet. Still choosing a mounting material and method of attachment. She has rolled it out a few times to show people and they are in awe. Just too cool.

Thanks

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #694 of 785 Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

And, after spending hours in a hot room, dying from heat exhaustion, and the paint in my neck and lower back... I really need that initial "WOW" to be there. :-)

Jeff

Let it be known Jeff that you asked me to turn down the AC when doing my theater. smile.gif
NightSkyMurals likes this.

Mario

post #695 of 785 Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Let it be known Jeff that you asked me to turn down the AC when doing my theater. smile.gif

Yes I did... and I think that I am going to start sending out a contract, well before I arrive, that mandates a room be between 64 and 68 degrees or the price doubles. smile.gif
Oh, and Mario... your room was perfectly cool.

post #696 of 785 Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Your sky murals are wonderful!  You are also very generous in sharing information.  I tried to read as much as I could, but it looks like you have been giving information for quite some time. Forgive me if I am repeating questions you have already answered.

It sounds like you don’t actually paint the dark blue/black sky and it is just the natural color the ceiling turns when the lights are off. Did I read that correctly?  So if I want to paint clouds in my nephew’s room for daytime viewing I can add a night time sky on top of this for bed time? Does the glow in the dark paint not show up on the pale blue sky or white clouds  when the lights are on? Nor the clouds show up when the lights are off? I had never given this much thought before but think it’s a great way to get two different effects. I had originally thought of painting a “space” ceiling” that would show up during the daytime.  I wonder what glow in the dark paint would look like on TOP of this?  Have you ever tried that?  Do you have to have black lights for the glow in the dark to work or is that just for more dramatic effect in theatre rooms?

I think I read that you paint with the light off? Is the paint “charged” before you paint so you can see it as you paint? I guess that makes sense so you can actually “see” what it is going to look like. I’ve just never painted in the dark before.  Do you have to have black lights on in order to see the paint?    

I am not fond of using stencils, so I hope they are not necessary for a beginner star painter.  I do have some painting experience. Are the stencils just holes or are they different shapes?  If I don’t use a stencil how large should the biggest stars be?  I could see using a stencil if they have actual constellations in them. Do they?   Is that why you recommend stencils?

I am not familiar with glow in the dark paint so I trust that YOU have the best paint product if it lasts for hours. (that is longer than I’ve heard)  How much paint does a ceiling need, how much is the paint and how long does it take to order it and get it?  Does it have a long shelf life? I’d like to get some to play with just to see what my options are.  If I don’t like it, is it easy enough to roll another color over it?  

I really appreciate any tips or information you can give me. 

post #697 of 785 Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouspainter View Post

Your sky murals are wonderful!  You are also very generous in sharing information.  I tried to read as much as I could, but it looks like you have been giving information for quite some time. Forgive me if I am repeating questions you have already answered.

No problem, I still get these questions all the time... so this might be a good review. Thanks for your questions!

Quote:

It sounds like you don’t actually paint the dark blue/black sky and it is just the natural color the ceiling turns when the lights are off. Did I read that correctly?

That is correct. The darker a room gets, the blacker the ceiling turns... even if it is white in the light.

Quote:

So if I want to paint clouds in my nephew’s room for daytime viewing I can add a night time sky on top of this for bed time?
Does the glow in the dark paint not show up on the pale blue sky or white clouds  when the lights are on? Nor the clouds show up when the lights are off?

Below are a couple of pictures of a mural that you are talking about. I did it for a member of AVS (he has a thread on here somewhere). It turned out beautifully and the picture in the light has the night sky already painted on it. These colors are perfect for a mural to be virtually invisible in the light.

Quote:

I had never given this much thought before but think it’s a great way to get two different effects. I had originally thought of painting a “space” ceiling” that would show up during the daytime.  I wonder what glow in the dark paint would look like on TOP of this? 

I doubt that it would be noticeable in the light, even if some of the larger stars are actually visible. I think that if you had other stars showing, the visible stars that are painted with glow paint would probably just blend in. But, my favorite is the Day Sky - Night Sky combination. It just seems more natural.

Quote:

Have you ever tried that?

Not the Night Sky - Night Sky... but many Day Sky - Night Sky murals.

Quote:

Do you have to have black lights for the glow in the dark to work or is that just for more dramatic effect in theatre rooms?

Not necessary, but suggested. Here's the deal with the lighting. Any fluorescent light will charge up (energize) the glow paint... but the benefit of a black light is that when you are using a black light to paint (in the dark), your eyes will adapt very quickly back to being able to see in the dark again. If you were to use a white fluorescent tube, or a CFL light... then it would take a few minutes to get your night eyes back. That's another reason that I suggest black lights in a theater room. Eyes will stay adapted to the dark, and ready for a movie, or they won't shock the eyes if they are turned on after the movie ends. Plus the black lights look really nice in a dark room, if they are in a soffit.

Another benefit of using a black light is that for theater rooms I use an additive that fluoresces under a black light. Sometimes people want to see stars during a movie... but the movie will wash most of the stars away (similar to city lights washing the real night sky away)... so with black lights turned on during the movie, a lot of the stars will be visible. Not usually the smallest stars, but a good number of larger stars.

Quote:

I think I read that you paint with the light off? Is the paint “charged” before you paint so you can see it as you paint? I guess that makes sense so you can actually “see” what it is going to look like. I’ve just never painted in the dark before.  Do you have to have black lights on in order to see the paint?    

Yes, I paint in the dark. Most people who know me say that I am always int eh dark... but I definitely paint in it. smile.gif

Again, a black light is suggested when painting. You can turn it on to see around the room if you are looking for something, to energize the stars that you have already painted (to see how it's going) and to energize the paint that you are about to use.

Quote:

I am not fond of using stencils, so I hope they are not necessary for a beginner star painter.  I do have some painting experience. Are the stencils just holes or are they different shapes?  If I don’t use a stencil how large should the biggest stars be?  I could see using a stencil if they have actual constellations in them. Do they?   Is that why you recommend stencils?

I have trained people over the years... and I would definitely suggest using a stencil to paint your first mural. It usually takes people 20 to 30 ceilings (after I've trained them personally) to get comfortable with the look of a mural. And, that even includes real artists (I am not an artist... this is the only thing I can do).

The stencils are just holes. I have been suggesting the Ursa Major stencil in the past, but I am, hopefully, only weeks away from finishing my 4 year project of producing my own set of stencils. I guess that I will still suggest the Ursa Major stencil, if used along with some instructions that I have written to go along with them, but my new stencils will, hopefully, help someone create a mural fairly close to what I would do. So, for example... on a scale of 1 - 10 (with 1 being sticker stars and my murals being a 10... for this example only) then an Ursa Major Stencil would be a 3, the Ursa Major stencils, along with my instructions would probably be a 5 to 6, and my new stencils would be closer to a 7. But, they will have holes that you paint through... which you mentioned you aren't fond of. They will, however, have holes that are designated as constellation stars and others that are for smaller stars, as does the Ursa Major stencil... though many, many fewer stars.

Quote:

I am not familiar with glow in the dark paint so I trust that YOU have the best paint product if it lasts for hours. (that is longer than I’ve heard)  

There are a few places on the Internet that offer really good paint, but most of it is thinner than I like to use. Many people, however, like their paint thinner... I have just found that, for me, a thicker paint goes a long way in creating a nice mural. So, Glow Inc, Ready Set Glow are a couple of places that have good paint... or I would be happy to set you up with some too. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Quote:

How much paint does a ceiling need, how much is the paint and how long does it take to order it and get it? 

The amount of paint depends on the ceiling to be painted, the method being used (Ursa Major stencil, freehand, or my stencil), and how much paint you apply. For a 10 x 10 ceiling, for example, you might use between 1 and 2 ounces of paint.
I am not sure how long it takes to order paint, and receive it, from the places that I suggested, but if you order it from me... as much as I try to be quick about things, I am sure it would take longer from me. I just have so many things going that I try to get it mixed, packaged and sent within a day... but it sometimes takes a few. I do it mainly to help people out, but I'll be quicker once I have the stencil kits ready to ship (hopefully).

Quote:

Does it have a long shelf life?

Again, I am not sure about the other companies, but I have paint that was mixed over a year ago that is still good. I wouldn't recommend waiting that long to paint after you order paint, however. I think that if you keep the paint (from any source) sealed up tight... that it should last at least 6 months. Probably longer, but that seems like a fair estimate.

Quote:

I’d like to get some to play with just to see what my options are. 

OK.. I mentioned three good sources above.

Quote:

If I don’t like it, is it easy enough to roll another color over it?  

That is the only way to get rid of the glow... and it sometimes takes a couple coats to cover it up. The thinner paints may only need one coat (because I think they use less pigments), but at least with my paint.. you would want to use at least two coats.

Quote:

I really appreciate any tips or information you can give me. 

I hope that this has helped you, and anyone else not wanting to search through the entire thread, out.

Jeff
hightechaddict likes this.

post #698 of 785 Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

I just got this from a customer, a member of this AVS, who just had his theater featured in the Sounds and Vision magazine. Here is one of the pictures of his room. I'll wait for him to post the rest, then will link to it. This used to be a simple bedroom... and he did a great job with this!

post #699 of 785 Old 11-06-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I am very interested!! I gotta long way to go, but I want to go in this direction.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #700 of 785 Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I am very interested!! I gotta long way to go, but I want to go in this direction.

Not a problem. Let me know if you need help or have questions. There are many on this thread who have also been more than willing to answer questions.

post #701 of 785 Old 11-19-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Stupid question: But why haven't people tried LED UV light strips? With 50,000 hours, between swap outs, low cost, and low current use, it seems like a no brainer.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flexible-strips-and-bars/filter/Color,0,3,31:

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #702 of 785 Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Looks like the wavelength for the UV option is 440 nm. I think for glow in the dark stars, the preferred wavelength for LEDs is 365 nm.

Background info

Spaceman Theater Build

post #703 of 785 Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

That's the problem with them... they just don't do a thing to energize the paint. BUT, I have seen some UV LED lights that are 365nm that I am trying to get a 3' or 4' sample of... but the company wants me to buy 40 feet of it. So, there is a possibility of some LED lights working, but I need to test, the power and also how far the light throws out into the enter of the ceiling before I want to recommend them. Good question though!

Thanks Spaceman for jumping in and answering.

Jeff

post #704 of 785 Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

I think that I have had a couple people, from AVS, who have written to me (at my email address) with questions... and I just need to apologize to you and let you know that I will be getting to them. I have about 75 emails that I am trying desperately to answer, if the short time that I have each day. My son is trying to help me get caught up, but we are making little progress.

Anyway, I just wanted to let any AVS members know that I will get to your questions shortly (fingers crossed).

So sorry!

Jeff

post #705 of 785 Old 01-02-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey Jeff,

Our sister n law was over and playing around with the camera New Years. Oh man and haven't mailed it yet but finally found that coin smile.gif

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #706 of 785 Old 01-26-2014, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Auto320... I just logged on to see if anyone had posted any questions for me, before I head out on another two week painting trip around the country, and I saw your post. Wow, thanks for posting the pictures. AND... thanks for sending that coin!!! I got it last week and I have been showing everyone. That's a great one. Thank you!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

Hey Jeff,

Our sister n law was over and playing around with the camera New Years. Oh man and haven't mailed it yet but finally found that coin smile.gif

post #707 of 785 Old 01-26-2014, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Just did a mural this week and the homeowner told me that he found a place that will be selling LED UV black light strips next month. He is going to get some and test them out on his mural... and then let me know how it goes. I will post the results in here once I her back from him. My fingers are crossed... but they'd have to be fairly powerful to charge up the paint, I would think. I'm reserving judgement until after I see the results.

post #708 of 785 Old 01-27-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hi Jeff,

My old fashioned fluorescent black light is still working fine, but I'll be interested in your assessment of the effectiveness of the LED ultraviolet array.

smile.gif

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #709 of 785 Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 PM

Liked: 13
I don't know if these glow in the dark stars were around when my theater room was built in 2005. I probably would have gone in this direction instead. I probably would have figured out how to put more light into my room with out the use of my fiber-optic lights instead. My theater room is long and narrow with a low ceiling, I definitely wanted a star lit ceiling so the custom installer suggested to cover the entire ceiling with fiber optic lights. So it would help with putting light into the room. Also it would create a illusion in the room. It would make it seem like its a larger room than it is. I know the glow in the dark stars would create the same effect. Except it would not put light in the room. But like I said I would have found away around that.This was the first theater build that I did, so I didn't know to much about lighting control so I just left the installer to figure it out. I know more about lighting control now since I have had my room since 2005. With these murals using my Lutron Graphic Eye controller I would not have to power the star lit ceiling. I could power a different light in the room. One more negative thing about the fiber optic lights that you did not mention Jeff is that they use a projector lamp.Thats what the installer called it He said I'm using a 150 watt lamp. That projector gets really hot, it has a built in fan so it blows the hot air off of the lamp to keep it cool. So I had to direct the heat out of my Equipment room to another area, just to keep my room somewhat cool. That's why if i build another theater room again thats one of the many reasons i'm not going back to fiber optic lights again.
post #710 of 785 Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM

hello i am very interested in learning he stencil method, and what paints will work, colors, ect. i am a decent artist and am confident i can create a marial. the idea came to me, as i was one night watching my three children watch the stars. i have a whole scene created in my mind, and i have already painted things on their walls like  japed o from a classic movie as well as lady and the tramp.  i would't have imagined it any way. its a scenic back round thats suitable for any age of children, and any gender. the walls i imagine being filled with Forrest scenery and fairy's. the celing of course, the night sky. this is a big project, but im willing to take it on to see their faces when its completed.

any suggestions  and directions on how to start would be appriciated

-thanks-

post #711 of 785 Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 AM

Liked: 15
I'm so happy that I managed to intercept Jeff on his tour of the Southwest ... I'm trying to get the ceiling ready for him to do the star mural and the theater is dark wood. I have settled on red for the acoustic panels (not sure if it will include some gold). The ceiling between box beams is flat (no texture). I'm leaning towards keeping it that way and doing a dark red faux finish, maybe with some gold mixed in, to hide the painted stars. Even if I just do plain red wall panels, I can add gold in the carpet. Theater seats I'm thinking brown or black. I'm so bad with this design element stuff.

Anyway, my question mainly is if black lights are used to "charge" the stars for 10-20 minutes before a movie, what will black light shining on a red painted ceiling look like? Purple + red = burgundy according to Google. That might not look bad at all. If it looked purple like most pictures that I see that might look odd with the overall color scheme, but the fluorescent lights won't be on the whole time anyway.

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions, as, like I said, I'm pretty terrible with the design element of things. Here's a pic:
post #712 of 785 Old 01-31-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Keep in mind that a lighter paint color will give you a longer glow time and will make the star paint less visible under normal lighting conditions. It would also be a nice contrast to your red fabric panels. Red on the ceiling and on the panels might be too much. Perhaps a metallic paint like jautor used on his ceiling.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #713 of 785 Old 01-31-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tom... I will keep you informed as to how the strip test goes. I talked with my customer yesterday and he said that he will contact the company again in the next couple of weeks to see if they are ready to sell the lights. If so, then he will order some and we will test them out. Fingers are crossed.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post

Hi Jeff,

My old fashioned fluorescent black light is still working fine, but I'll be interested in your assessment of the effectiveness of the LED ultraviolet array.

smile.gif

post #714 of 785 Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Krell...

Thanks for the note. I was painting murals back in 2005... but my murals weren't as well known back then.

You know, that is a good point about the heat put out from the bulb. I painted a mural yesterday in Orlando, and the customer told me that, before he put in a mini-split in his control room... the room would get over 100 degrees. So, if you were to add a bright bulb to the mix... that could get seriously hot in there. But, fiber optics still have a place where they are nice... so measures would need to be taken to control that.

Thanks for adding that piece of info to this discussion!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell789 View Post

One more negative thing about the fiber optic lights that you did not mention Jeff is that they use a projector lamp.Thats what the installer called it He said I'm using a 150 watt lamp. That projector gets really hot, it has a built in fan so it blows the hot air off of the lamp to keep it cool. So I had to direct the heat out of my Equipment room to another area, just to keep my room somewhat cool. That's why if i build another theater room again thats one of the many reasons i'm not going back to fiber optic lights again.

post #715 of 785 Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Bree...

I have promised myself, my family and many customers... that once I get finished with the trip I am on (I'm painting in Florida, Texas, Illinois and Georgia) in a couple of weeks... I am going to get those stencils completed. So, hopefully by the end of February I will have some more info for you.

Also, if you want to shoot me an email (NightSkyMurals@gmail.com) I will try to help you out with some suggestions on your room.

Good luck...

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree Marie View Post

hello i am very interested in learning he stencil method, and what paints will work, colors, ect. i am a decent artist and am confident i can create a marial. the idea came to me, as i was one night watching my three children watch the stars. i have a whole scene created in my mind, and i have already painted things on their walls like  japed o from a classic movie as well as lady and the tramp.  i would't have imagined it any way. its a scenic back round thats suitable for any age of children, and any gender. the walls i imagine being filled with Forrest scenery and fairy's. the celing of course, the night sky. this is a big project, but im willing to take it on to see their faces when its completed.
any suggestions  and directions on how to start would be appriciated
-thanks-

post #716 of 785 Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

AlphaG... See you in a few days.

Spaceman is correct on his suggestions, so hopefully that helps you with your questions.

By the way... that is going to be a really nice looking ceiling. Spaceman's ceiling is similar to yours.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaG View Post

I'm so happy that I managed to intercept Jeff on his tour of the Southwest ... I'm trying to get the ceiling ready for him to do the star mural and the theater is dark wood. I have settled on red for the acoustic panels (not sure if it will include some gold). The ceiling between box beams is flat (no texture). I'm leaning towards keeping it that way and doing a dark red faux finish, maybe with some gold mixed in, to hide the painted stars. Even if I just do plain red wall panels, I can add gold in the carpet. Theater seats I'm thinking brown or black. I'm so bad with this design element stuff.

Anyway, my question mainly is if black lights are used to "charge" the stars for 10-20 minutes before a movie, what will black light shining on a red painted ceiling look like? Purple + red = burgundy according to Google. That might not look bad at all. If it looked purple like most pictures that I see that might look odd with the overall color scheme, but the fluorescent lights won't be on the whole time anyway.

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions, as, like I said, I'm pretty terrible with the design element of things.

post #717 of 785 Old 01-31-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Spaceman, for your suggestions.

Here's hoping that Texas stays around 65 for the next week!!!! smile.gif

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Keep in mind that a lighter paint color will give you a longer glow time and will make the star paint less visible under normal lighting conditions. It would also be a nice contrast to your red fabric panels. Red on the ceiling and on the panels might be too much. Perhaps a metallic paint like jautor used on his ceiling.

post #718 of 785 Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 PM

Liked: 15
Ok, I compromised. Red base color with feathered heavy gold metallic faux finish, but no texture. I think the irregular faux finish will hide the star mural reasonably. It should be ready for you on Tuesday. I would love to see the comet Ison in the mural! See you then!

Thanks for the link to Jautor's build, Spaceman. What a great job he did. I will heed your advice...
post #719 of 785 Old 02-01-2014, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds like it should work. Hopefully it isn't too reflective when you're watching a movie. If not... then it should work great with my paint.

I just painted a mural in Orlando... and the had a couple ceilings that had brown and tan painted on the ceiling, with a translucent, gold paint on top of that. It was incredibly beautiful. They're going yo do that on their bedroom ceiling and then have me paint on top of it. It'll look great. So, that's kind of what I have envisioned for your ceiling. We'll see in a few day. smile.gif

See you soon.

Jeff

post #720 of 785 Old 02-08-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Jeff from Night Sky Murals came to our house about a week ago. I've worked with a variety of vendors in the past and can't say enough about how nice this entire experience was.

Jeff went out of his way to accommodate us on a short notice. He worked till late in the evening to get it done and only had 2 small requests, keep it cold in the room and do not peek.

The end result was amazing to say the least, we just had our UV lights installed and WOW what was amazing turned into unbelievable...

We would not be happier, the wife is looking to have this done in our bedroom as well.

Spaceman likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page