Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #721 of 829 Old 02-08-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
that's nuts. I am amazed by the work he does! awesome awesome awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 829 Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

that's nuts. I am amazed by the work he does! awesome awesome awesome!

Yep...however, even the quality photos made available within this thread hardly do justice to a Night Sky Mural. Viewing Jeff's work in person is truly something special. smile.gif

Tom

The world is more than we know...more than we imagine...more even than we can imagine.
post #723 of 829 Old 02-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm another happy customer. Jeff came by about a week ago and painted the awesome night sky mural. My neighbor painted the cloud/sky scene. I couldn't be happier with the results.biggrin.gif Now if only I could get the projector installed! Jeff setup his camera to take the following pics:

Spaceman likes this.
post #724 of 829 Old 02-19-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
LOL... That "Keep it cold in the room" thing is pretty funny. I usually know when I am painting for someone who is on AVS... because they have the room cool when I arrive, or at least get right to cooling it down. That's funny.

Thanks for the nice words. I'm glad that I was able to fit you into the schedule a couple weeks ago. It worked out nicely. And, I should be able to make it back out to Florida fairly soon. If not... then the humidity is going to kill me!! smile.gif

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post

Jeff from Night Sky Murals came to our house about a week ago. I've worked with a variety of vendors in the past and can't say enough about how nice this entire experience was.

Jeff went out of his way to accommodate us on a short notice. He worked till late in the evening to get it done and only had 2 small requests, keep it cold in the room and do not peek.

The end result was amazing to say the least, we just had our UV lights installed and WOW what was amazing turned into unbelievable...

We would not be happier, the wife is looking to have this done in our bedroom as well.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #725 of 829 Old 02-19-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Love, love, love this ceiling... and room. You've done some nice work in there. And, the subtle, wispy clouds were really nice.

Don't get that projector installed until the last detail is finished... or it will never get done! I've seen it happen before. :-)

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig3 View Post

I'm another happy customer. Jeff came by about a week ago and painted the awesome night sky mural. My neighbor painted the cloud/sky scene. I couldn't be happier with the results.biggrin.gif Now if only I could get the projector installed! Jeff setup his camera to take the following pics:

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #726 of 829 Old 02-19-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Iv got an illuminator with several wheels if anyones interested. PM me..

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #727 of 829 Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jeff,

We are having the bedroom ceiling painted in the next week, so the next time you are in Orlando area let me know! We tested the glossy paint on the faux ceiling and it doesn't glow under lights at all.

Tony
post #728 of 829 Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Jeff,

Long time AVS lurker (in many varying threads) but I would like to use my first post to say I think you are an excellent artist and - from the hundreds of posts I've read- a genuinely nice man. You give wonderfully helpful information to all who ask.  I hope to have you consider a mural someday for me if you ever get in the north Alabama/ southern Tennessee area.

Quick question. The AVS member and client who sent you the the pic in post #698... is there anyway you could provide me with his user name or something so that I may PM him/her.  My space is similar in size and I would love to ask them a question or two.

If this is somehow not allowed or something I do apologize. (Again, new at this.)

Thanks!

post #729 of 829 Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Tony. Was that you that left a message on my FaceBook page? I haven't had time to go there yet, but I say a blurb from it in an email.

I was just out in the Orlando area and may possibly be out that way again soon. So, if you want to email me... we can see what might work for you.

I've had quite a few people from Florida contact me over the years... but I could never get everyone ready at the same time to be able to cover the cost of travel. But it seems that I may have enough waiting that I can probably put together another Florida and Texas trip. I'lll answer you on FaceBook if I don't get an email from you.

Thanks! I had a great time out there a couple weeks ago. The weather couldn't have been better. Beautiful state (when it's cool and the humidity is low). smile.gif

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post

Jeff,

We are having the bedroom ceiling painted in the next week, so the next time you are in Orlando area let me know! We tested the glossy paint on the faux ceiling and it doesn't glow under lights at all.

Tony

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #730 of 829 Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Twss...

Thanks for the really nice comments!

I've been to Tennessee a few times, and I believe Alabama... and I fly over and near there all the time. So... it isn't out of the question that I will be out there again soon.

OK, I just sent the AVS member (Rudy) that has the theater that I posted in #698 to see if he would mind me getting you that info. I really doubt that he will mind because he is a super nice guy and I'm sure he'd love to help you in any way that he can.

I'm not sure if I ever posted a link to the article about his theater in Sound and Vision magazine... but here is a link to a second article about him and his theater: http://www.electronichouse.com/article/home_theater_made_with_grandma_in_mind/

I'll let you know when I hear back from him. I don't it would be not allowed as long as I get his permission. But, if it is...

Thanks for lurking around... and I'm glad that you've enjoyed what you've seen. This has taken off way more than I expected. I was just asked by a member if I could write something to explain the difference between fiber optics and a painted ceiling. I thought that would be the end of it. :-)

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS View Post

Jeff,

Long time AVS lurker (in many varying threads) but I would like to use my first post to say I think you are an excellent artist and - from the hundreds of posts I've read- a genuinely nice man. You give wonderfully helpful information to all who ask.  I hope to have you consider a mural someday for me if you ever get in the north Alabama/ southern Tennessee area.

Quick question. The AVS member and client who sent you the the pic in post #698... is there anyway you could provide me with his user name or something so that I may PM him/her.  My space is similar in size and I would love to ask them a question or two.

If this is somehow not allowed or something I do apologize. (Again, new at this.)

Thanks!

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #731 of 829 Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Twss... I just heard back from Rudy (Azula on AVS) and he said to go ahead and give his username out and I thought I'd post a link to his thread, here on AVS. So... here you go: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1372999/the-brown-family-cinema-for-beginners-thread

Good luck with your build!

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #732 of 829 Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Jeff, thanks a lot for the link. The dimensions of his build are almost identical to mine, so the information in the first few posts I've read have been very helpful.

My mother is a brilliant artist but she has been burdened with a bad knee for the last 40 years and I would never allow her to stay on a ladder for more than a minute to utilize your paints. If all goes well I hope to have a space that needs your attention later this year.

Thanks again for the info!
post #733 of 829 Old 02-21-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi again TWSS... I'm glad the link helped out. If you need a little more info, I'm sure that he'd be happy to help you out. You might, however, ask build question in his thread, instead of through PM's. That way if there are others with the same questions down the road, they'll already be addressed and he won't have to start all over again. Just a suggestion.

I'm lucky in this thread that I have painted for some awesome AVS members... and they are always willing to jump in and answer questions when I'm not around.

Well, good luck with your build. Rudy's room turned out really nicely... so you can find some good ideas there.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #734 of 829 Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Bree...

I told you that I would let you know when I had the stencils finally ready to go. Well, I am almost there. I have had a few people to initial test mural on their ceilings, with the stencils... and I couldn't be happier. So, if you still have questions about the ones that I just finished, or any other ones that you've seen... go ahead and email me and I will help you figure out what will be best for you for your room. Even if you don't want one of my stencils... I am fine with that and will help you out however I can.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree Marie View Post

hello i am very interested in learning he stencil method, and what paints will work, colors, ect.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #735 of 829 Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been asked many times about rope lights (365nm) that will possibly work, instead of black, tube lights to charge up the glow paint. And, I've mentioned in the past that I'd found some, that would hopefully work, but that the company wouldn't just sell me a few feet to test them out. Well, I just ordered about 40 feet of it and will put it to the test when it arrives (hopefully by the middle of April). My fingers are crossed.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #736 of 829 Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Jeff I am interested in having a star ceiling mural painted on black or dark blue acoustically transparent material covering a cloud abosrber on ceiling. It about 8'x8' section of fabric. I have used the same fabric to print high resolution images with good results. Curious if you would be interested in painting something like. May not need to be on site if I could send you the material, unless you happen to be in the Chicago/Milwaukee area anytime soon?

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #737 of 829 Old 03-26-2014, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Hi Tony. Was that you that left a message on my FaceBook page? I haven't had time to go there yet, but I say a blurb from it in an email.

I was just out in the Orlando area and may possibly be out that way again soon. So, if you want to email me... we can see what might work for you.

That was probably me actually as I asked you if the person was on avsforum. We just closed on our house in Winter Garden so I am looking at options for my man cave/theater. Your work is excellent.
post #738 of 829 Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi lbrown105... I'm not sure that I have envisioned the material that you mentioned, but it sounds interesting and I would love to look into if further. Do you have a link to something similar, or the actual product?
If so, would you email it to me at NightSkyMurals@gmail.com so I can look into it?

Also, if it's an 8 x 8 piece.. I can paint it here in my shop. But, it looks like I will be in the Chicago area within the next month or so (depending on if my back recovers any time soon.

I will watch for your email, hopefully with a link to that material that you are asking about.

Thanks! Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

Jeff I am interested in having a star ceiling mural painted on black or dark blue acoustically transparent material covering a cloud abosrber on ceiling. It about 8'x8' section of fabric. I have used the same fabric to print high resolution images with good results. Curious if you would be interested in painting something like. May not need to be on site if I could send you the material, unless you happen to be in the Chicago/Milwaukee area anytime soon?

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #739 of 829 Old 03-27-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 135
thanks Jeff I will send you an email this weekend. Hope the back is healin ok. Working overhead is tough on the neck and back. I just finished my ceiling so I am a little sore too, but you do it all the time!

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #740 of 829 Old 03-27-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, it is tough on the neck and back... and I've learned to do things smarter, like lifting correctly, or being careful when bending over, or backwards (when on a ladder). But, sometimes I don't do what I should because I think to myself, "Why get down off of the ladder, move it over a couple of feet... when I can just stretch backwards just a little more, and take care of it?" Well, that's what has had me down for over three weeks now. My fault, though... so I'll just have to remember this once I am better. Cutting out the number of murals I paint is also part of my plan. frown.gif

Anyway, I will watch for your email.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

thanks Jeff I will send you an email this weekend. Hope the back is healin ok. Working overhead is tough on the neck and back. I just finished my ceiling so I am a little sore too, but you do it all the time!

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #741 of 829 Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well.... guess what just arrived? Yep... the Black Light, LED Rope Lights... that lets off 365nm!!!!! Can't wait to go and try them. Every other LED, UV rope light that I have tried has failed. My fingers are crossed with these.

I'll be back soon with what I find out... assuming my back will allow me to climb up and put them in my soffit.
macboyrules likes this.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #742 of 829 Old 03-27-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Yes, it is tough on the neck and back... and I've learned to do things smarter, like lifting correctly, or being careful when bending over, or backwards (when on a ladder). But, sometimes I don't do what I should because I think to myself, "Why get down off of the ladder, move it over a couple of feet... when I can just stretch backwards just a little more, and take care of it?" Well, that's what has had me down for over three weeks now. My fault, though... so I'll just have to remember this once I am better. Cutting out the number of murals I paint is also part of my plan. frown.gif

Anyway, I will watch for your email.

Jeff

Jeff hope you feel better.

Maybe you should invest in some of those stilts like dry wall guys use to get you off the latter and up near the ceiling height. Might be ideal for theaters that are all on one level...not sure about multiple level theaters like mine though.
post #743 of 829 Old 03-27-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Mario...

I've thought about those stilts before, but hauling them around on flight after flight would be a pain... plus I think that only about half of the ceilings I work on would be a height where they would work for me. So, I will just tough it out for however long I am able to paint.

Hey, after experiencing those chairs that you have (the D something ones... that move)... I took my son to see an Iron Man movie and had to get those chairs for us. I wanted to experience a little more than a few minutes. I loved them. Thanks for showing me yours!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Jeff hope you feel better.

Maybe you should invest in some of those stilts like dry wall guys use to get you off the latter and up near the ceiling height. Might be ideal for theaters that are all on one level...not sure about multiple level theaters like mine though.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #744 of 829 Old 03-27-2014, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

SUCCESS!!!!! They work... and work perfectly!!!

I can't believe that after trying out so many different "Black, UV, LED, Rope Lights" that I finally found some that work as well as regular tube black lights. Granted, I only tried them in my little 10 x 10 mural in my office, but they work better than my tube lights. So, this has me giddy.

Here is a picture of the lights in my office. The light coverage is much better than the black tube lights that I was using, plus an extra advantage is that I have one power source for every 15 feet (so two total).... while I needed 4 extension cords and a power strip to make my tube lights work. Much, much better choice.

It looks like the coverage isn't reaching the center of the ceiling... partly because they are mostly point upwards (not really installed correctly yet)... but I can tell you that the center is definitely getting charged up.

This light strip does get a little warm, however, so luckily I don't need them on for long periods of time.

Now that I know that they work, I will be making a larger order of them. If anyone wants to add to my order, let me know. We can save on shipping fees, custom fees, this fee and that fee. smile.gif

Jeff

macboyrules likes this.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #745 of 829 Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Do you have a link for where you purchased them?
post #746 of 829 Old 03-28-2014, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Spaceman...

Since I have so many people who are wanting the lights... I've been working with the head of the company and I think that if I can make a large order, we can all save some money. I'd like to make a few orders each year (and order a little extra to have on hand for a quick turnaround time.

Keep in mind that it's recommended to have a power supply for every 15 feet.

If you want to email me how many feet you are wanting, I'll be talking with the manufacturer again soon.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Do you have a link for where you purchased them?

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #747 of 829 Old 03-28-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I don't really need any at the moment. I just was curious where you got it and wanted to read up on the specs and pricing. I'm sure others would be interested as well since it's sometimes more convenient just to buy it when you need it instead of waiting to get in on a group buy.
post #748 of 829 Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Spaceman...

My idea was to get an initial order, for those who want them now... and add it to my order of a few hundred meters of the strip lights. With what I order, plus any additional feet that are added on, I should be able to get a good price... making the price cheaper for everyone. I plan to stock the strips, power supplies and connectors for both USA and Canada.

I am doing it as a convenience for customers who would rather have strip (similar to rope) lights instead of tube lights. I should be able to stock enough within the next month so that nobody will have to wait for a bulk order.... plus not have to deal with customs, shipping, bank fees (from the wire transfers) and other minor annoyances. Plus, the bonus will be way less hassle, plus shipped from USA.

I still want to do more testing from a larger distance, but in my 10' x 10' +/- they work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I don't really need any at the moment. I just was curious where you got it and wanted to read up on the specs and pricing. I'm sure others would be interested as well since it's sometimes more convenient just to buy it when you need it instead of waiting to get in on a group buy.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #749 of 829 Old 03-28-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are some shots from my DSLR camera, as opposed to the iPhone pics I uploaded previously.

This picture is embarrassing to post... but I wanted to post it as a reference for the other pictures. I am not an artist (obviously. I only paint the night sky)

This is the ceiling with only the new black LED UV strip lights.

Same picture as above... just a different exposure time. The constellations do fluoresce some.

This picture was taken mostly in total darkness (15 second exposure)... with the strip lights turned on for about a second.

15 second exposure... showing the coverage of the strip lights. In the pictures with the strip lights on, it looks as though the center isn't getting hit with light. In this picture you can see that it is actually getting light hitting it, and charging the paint. You really need to click on the picture to see all of the stars that are visible.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #750 of 829 Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jeff -

Do you think that these new BL rope lights would work well with another set of regular rope lights in the same tray? Not on at the same time, of course, and obviously different power supplies. Also, do they support dimming?

Thanks!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction