Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #751 of 779 Old 03-29-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Absolutely. I was using tube lights along with rope lights here in my office and they worked fine together. The only difference in using these strip lights with your rope lights is... you won't need as much space inside of your soffit to make it work. From what I understand now, in speaking with my contact is that the best results for the strip lights is to have a separate power supply for every 5 meters (15feet). I may test a second 5 meters, added to the first strip, here in my office, but I need to order a connector to do that.

These can be dimmed. I will also be ordering remote control switches for these as well, that will dim the lights. I need to ask if a normal dimmer switch will work, as well as the remote. I'll get that information by next week.

I think that I will be ordering another couple hundred meters next week if anyone wants to try some. I am not planning on making any money on AVS members... but with your orders included with mine, we can all save money and I can start building up a good supply to have on hand.

I've been searching, and testing so many different lights (that say they are true 365nm, black lights), for many years... and I am really happy with the results of these lights. But, for the record... tube lights are just as good.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboyrules View Post

Jeff -

Do you think that these new BL rope lights would work well with another set of regular rope lights in the same tray? Not on at the same time, of course, and obviously different power supplies. Also, do they support dimming?

Thanks!

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 779 Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 AM

Liked: 12

Jeff,

I would be interested in 20 meters of the UV LED strip light. Thanks Mike

post #753 of 779 Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
I was duped!!! OK, so the LED, UV lights that I just got and tested, do work.... but they are not 365nm. They are 405nm, which means that, while they do charge up the paint... they don't charge it as well as the 365nm. I was promised that they were the 365nm, but I guess that's what happens sometimes. I have a friend with contacts looking into a reputable company that will sell me the real lights that I am looking for, but if anyone wants some of these 405nm lights, I will be happy to make another order and we can all share the cost, and savings. I don't plan on making money on AVS members.

So, Mike, you mentioned that you wanted 20 meters... do you still want that, or would you like to wait and see what I can find in the next little while?

Sorry about getting everyone's (at least those wanting good LED lights) hopes up... but I am kind of bummed too. But, they do charge the paint. I just want to see how the real lights will charge the paint!!!

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #754 of 779 Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of us who are prepping our theater spaces for a painted star ceiling, can people share what the electrical plans should be for up in the soffits for the black light options? What is needed and how do the LED soft lights get power? What is needed and how do tube lights get power?
Any explanations and/or photos to demonstrate would be appreciated. Thanks!

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS
THE SPUD CELLAR
post #755 of 779 Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Head over to the following url:

http://wildfirefx.com/products/lighting/ultrarail.aspx

These lights have connectors that allow you to literally plug one light into another.

My room has a single outlet in the soffit. Soffit was rectangular, 15' on one side and 12' on short side. You can string a max of 300 watts per single outlet.

I ran 2 circuits, basically an L shaped grouping of these lights around the soffit.

3-4ft lights + 1-2ft light + 1-1ft light for the 15' side and then attached a connector cord to go around the corner and added 3 more 4ft lights. (This is one circuit) There are 2 of these.

Lights are very fragile, and the bulbs break easily. But overall they are so easy to mount. I have them pointing out to the center of the room.

4ft bulb use 28watts, 2ft bulb 14watts and 1ft bulb 8 watts. You can mix and match, just do not go over 300 watts in a single line and alls well.
NightSkyMurals and dabsabre like this.
post #756 of 779 Old 04-03-2014, 07:51 AM

tspotorno, 

I checked the link very informative. Can you upload some pics of your set up?

Thanks,

Mike

post #757 of 779 Old 04-03-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileofsmiles View Post

tspotorno, 

I checked the link very informative. Can you upload some pics of your set up?

Thanks,
Mike

I just posted some pics of the Wildfire fixtures used in 7channelfreak's College Park build.
post #758 of 779 Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Liked: 18
Jeff, did you say that you are offering your paintings on ceiling tiles as well or did I imagine things ? I mean, yes you said that you can paint on them but what I mean is would you be able to paint on them offsite and ship them ?
post #759 of 779 Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Spaceman, thanks for the pics.

Mike

post #760 of 779 Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Spaceman i noticed that you used both LED and Black lights on the College Park Build. Any specific reason you used both? Are the LED RGB or a specific color? 

Thank you

post #761 of 779 Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post

Head over to the following url:

http://wildfirefx.com/products/lighting/ultrarail.aspx

These lights have connectors that allow you to literally plug one light into another.

My room has a single outlet in the soffit. Soffit was rectangular, 15' on one side and 12' on short side. You can string a max of 300 watts per single outlet.

I ran 2 circuits, basically an L shaped grouping of these lights around the soffit.

3-4ft lights + 1-2ft light + 1-1ft light for the 15' side and then attached a connector cord to go around the corner and added 3 more 4ft lights. (This is one circuit) There are 2 of these.

Lights are very fragile, and the bulbs break easily. But overall they are so easy to mount. I have them pointing out to the center of the room.

4ft bulb use 28watts, 2ft bulb 14watts and 1ft bulb 8 watts. You can mix and match, just do not go over 300 watts in a single line and alls well.

Thanks for the info on how you did it.
I am looking at educating myself on all of the different ways people have gotten good results and how they went about it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated by myself and others I'm sure

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS
THE SPUD CELLAR
post #762 of 779 Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileofsmiles View Post

Spaceman i noticed that you used both LED and Black lights on the College Park Build. Any specific reason you used both? Are the LED RGB or a specific color? 
Thank you

The black lights are there just to charge the star ceiling. The blue rope light is there for accent lighting. It will not properly charge the glow-in-the-dark paint on the ceiling.

We also had 2 levels of soffit that needed light. The upper and lower soffits both have rope light. The upper soffit (closest to the star ceiling) also has black lights.
post #763 of 779 Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I just have to say that over the years I've enjoyed seeing the great art work done to members ceilings as shown in this thread.
Fantastic stuff!
NightSkyMurals likes this.
post #764 of 779 Old 04-10-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, I can paint them in my office. I have a small room where I paint. But, the question is... how many panels do you want painted? The reason I ask is that I like to put them up, as they would be arranged on your ceiling... and then paint them all together, then mark the back of them so that you can put them up in the same order that they were painted. That way, any constellations that I paint, and/or Milky Way... will all line up and look right.

So, sure... but let me know the size. If it's for a 15 x 15 ceiling.... I would have to find a really large area to paint in. :-)

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolkerH. View Post

Jeff, did you say that you are offering your paintings on ceiling tiles as well or did I imagine things ? I mean, yes you said that you can paint on them but what I mean is would you be able to paint on them offsite and ship them ?

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #765 of 779 Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any news on the new UV led strands?
post #766 of 779 Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Very curious myself... I have read about them, but can't find it for sale. My new theater room construction is ready for electrical.
post #767 of 779 Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey5150 View Post
Any news on the new UV led strands?
Hi Monkey... I'm so sorry about the late reply. I have been on the road painting, home long enough to do laundry and breath for a few minutes and then on more flights around the country... and I just didn't have time to get over hear to see if anyone had any questions.

But, to answer your question... yes, I have painted in a room that had UV, 365nm strip lights that were amazing! They charged up the room in a very short time. I was given the contact info of the contractor who ordered the lights, but he has never gotten back with me. I've tried a few times to reach him.

But, I just painted last week, out in Oklahoma, and the homeowner and I did some searching and he seems to think that he has found a company that has good UV 365nm strip lights. He ordered some and is going to let me know as soon as he puts them up. I just missed piggybacking an order onto his so that I could try them out here... but I will order some too, if they work out as we are hoping.

But for now... let me show you some pictures of the room I painted that had the 365nm strip lights installed that worked really well. There is one with the strip lights turned on, then three more with them off. But in the two pictures that show some of the room, along with the mural... I turned my black light on for only a couple of seconds (so the room would be partially visible along with the ceiling), but you can still tell that the paint is evenly charged up and bright.

Here they are...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turret 1.jpg (53.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Turret 3.jpg (147.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Turret 4.jpg (164.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Turret 5.jpg (164.3 KB, 46 views)
PGTweed likes this.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #768 of 779 Old 08-15-2014, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post
Very curious myself... I have read about them, but can't find it for sale. My new theater room construction is ready for electrical.
Hey Xzener... Good to hear from you. Check out the reply I just posted before getting to yours. I have found some and am just waiting to hear how they work, and then I will order some to test, if I get a good report.

My fingers are crossed.

Hope all is going well for you and your new house!

Keep in touch.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #769 of 779 Old 08-15-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow!! It looks like Stone Henge at night. Very cool room, I like how it turned out. Been searching high and low for the UV LED strip lighting... I only need 42ft, building another small theater. Hope all is well with you and your family.
post #770 of 779 Old 08-15-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Stone Henge

Quote:
Wow!! It looks like Stone Henge at night. Very cool room, I like how it turned out. Been searching high and low for the UV LED strip lighting... I only need 42ft, building another small theater. Hope all is well with you and your family.
I know... it kind of does look like Stone Henge, doesn't it. I was wondering what to do with the mural, because it had 4 or 5 windows in it and they wanted the mural to go to the floor. That's when I suggested we not paint the windows (would have looked like specks all over them in the light) and then also not paint directly below the windows... or, to just follow the edge of the windows all the way to the floor and then not paint there. Then I carried that theme all the way around the room, even though there weren't windows all the way around. I also didn't paint the covering that is over the lights. That way, in the dark, it would look like large beams around the room that are holding up the top piece (or, as you mentioned, Stone Henge).

Anyway, things are going great here. Staying really busy and traveling a lot.

I have my fingers crossed for the lights that we are trying out to work. If so, then I will let you know... hopefully fairly soon.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #771 of 779 Old 08-17-2014, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Any luck finding a true 365nm uv strip?

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #772 of 779 Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Any luck finding a true 365nm uv strip?
Hi ClemsonJeeper... I just wrote to the customer of mine who was ordering some that look promising and he told me that he's having a little difficulty connecting with the rep. for the company... but that he is still trying to get them ordered. Once they're ordered, he should get them within a week.

The other guy who ordered the lights for my Seattle customer still hasn't gotten back with me. If I don't hear back soon, I'll try again.

Sorry that i don't have other news yet. I'm working on it.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #773 of 779 Old 08-25-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,

I recall you stating you were working on a DIY stencil of your own to distribute to the masses... How is that coming along?? I enjoyed trying Ursa Majors stencil... but as you saw, it left much to be desired. I'm at a point in my build where the mural and stars can be painted. I'm hoping your stencil design is not too far off. I am very much interested in using (purchasing) a stencil that "YOU" have designed.

This did look great, (I did use your paint) but am curious to see how a stencil of yours will measure up.

Ursa Major Stencil (with NightSkyMurals paint)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by xzener; 08-25-2014 at 05:22 PM.
post #774 of 779 Old 08-25-2014, 07:29 PM

Liked: 0
Hi Jeff,
Is it true!? Do you have a stencil in the works?
I am planning on DIY project for a 12'x15' ceiling.
May I get your information to purchase paint from you as well?
Thanx! =}
post #775 of 779 Old 08-25-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Zener... I was just wondering how your build was coming along? Glad to hear that it's getting close. Are you in your house already, and just working on the theater, or are you at "that point" with the entire house?

Either way... it sounds like you're getting there.

That was some pretty good timing. As a matter of fact, I just finished the texting stages of the stencils (I guess that we will be calling them "Night Sky DIY Guides" now, not stencils) and we are gearing up to start manufacturing them on a small scale at first, and then make more as we go.

It was good timing because I just met, today, with the guys who designed my logo and things, over ten years ago. They reminded me that I'd talked with them about the stencils (guides) back then too. I don't remember that, but it blew me away how long it's been that I've been playing with this idea. But, the timing is right because my poor back has got to slow down on the painting. Plus y'all are keeping the rooms too hot for me to get comfortable. :-)

So, anyway, yes, they are, and aren't ready. No, because I haven't submitted the initial order yet. Yes, because that's all I need to do. Well, not true. We still need to design the packaging and things, but they will be manufactured here in Utah, so it shouldn't take too long.

You can email me for more information, or, if you know the Facebook address for the stencils, you can keep up with any new info. Email me for the address. I shouldn't put it in this thread.

Here are few pictures of a couple of test murals that we've done recently.

Does this mean that I won't get a Ribeye for helping you, this time around?

Jeff

Quote:
Jeff,

I recall you stating you were working on a DIY stencil of your own to distribute to the masses... How is that coming along?? I enjoyed trying Ursa Majors stencil... but as you saw, it left much to be desired. I'm at a point in my build where the mural and stars can be painted. I'm hoping your stencil design is not too far off. I am very much interested in using (purchasing) a stencil that "YOU" have designed.

This did look great, (I did use your paint) but am curious to see how a stencil of yours will measure up.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paul's ceiling.jpg (382.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Miguel's in dark.jpg (28.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Miguel's with bl 2.jpg (85.5 KB, 19 views)
free2bmeAJMD likes this.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #776 of 779 Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Night Sky stencils

Hi Free2bmeAJMD...

I just answered Xzener above, so I won't go into the same details again... but in short, yes, pretty much. We have tweaked then enough over the past 8 - 10 years and I am finally happy with the results that we've been getting from our test subjects, so I feel good putting my name on them.

How far along is your ceiling? Are you, like Xzener, about ready to paint... or are you a ways off?

If you want to email me, I would be happy to give you more information on the stencils. And, to be fair, my stencils are not the only stencils on the market. They will be the most expensive (not too bad), but also the most detailed. So, if you plan to DIY.... then I would suggest stocking up on Ibuprofen. At least I need lots of it when I paint.

There will be paint included in the kits, as well as all of the tools that you will need.

I'd suggest stocking up on Graham Crackers, Marshmallows and Hersey bars, because once you're finished, and have popped a few Ibuprofen's.... you'll start craving S'mores because the night sky will look so real.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2bmeAJMD View Post
Hi Jeff,
Is it true!? Do you have a stencil in the works?
I am planning on DIY project for a 12'x15' ceiling.
May I get your information to purchase paint from you as well?
Thanx! =}
free2bmeAJMD likes this.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #777 of 779 Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
Hi Free2bmeAJMD...

I just answered Xzener above, so I won't go into the same details again... but in short, yes, pretty much. We have tweaked then enough over the past 8 - 10 years and I am finally happy with the results that we've been getting from our test subjects, so I feel good putting my name on them.

How far along is your ceiling? Are you, like Xzener, about ready to paint... or are you a ways off?

If you want to email me, I would be happy to give you more information on the stencils. And, to be fair, my stencils are not the only stencils on the market. They will be the most expensive (not too bad), but also the most detailed. So, if you plan to DIY.... then I would suggest stocking up on Ibuprofen. At least I need lots of it when I paint.

There will be paint included in the kits, as well as all of the tools that you will need.

I'd suggest stocking up on Graham Crackers, Marshmallows and Hersey bars, because once you're finished, and have popped a few Ibuprofen's.... you'll start craving S'mores because the night sky will look so real.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
I'm so ready to paint!!! And I love s'mores! (Can you tell I'm excited?!?!)
I did some internet "trolling" and found your FB page last night and emailed via your website earlier today...that's how ready I am.
So when you get a chance, can you please provide me the info to purchase your DIY kits? I don't mind that it is more expensive than others that are on the market out there, the "test" murals look fabulous!
Thanx a bunch!
post #778 of 779 Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed, the test murals look great.

Jeff, a couple more questions...

1) What size (largest) room will your stencil cover?

2) Will custom sizes be available, or will a customer be required to trim to fit?

3) Will you be creating winter and summer solstice stencils?

Also... Sorry, so many questions... As a former user of Ursa Majors stencil, I found it difficult to keep track of which holes were filled with paint... Do you recommend painting with a black light on?

Thanks in advance.
post #779 of 779 Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Looking forward to the DIY kit when available, test murals look GREAT!! Put me on the list!!!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page