Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #751 of 765 Old 03-29-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Absolutely. I was using tube lights along with rope lights here in my office and they worked fine together. The only difference in using these strip lights with your rope lights is... you won't need as much space inside of your soffit to make it work. From what I understand now, in speaking with my contact is that the best results for the strip lights is to have a separate power supply for every 5 meters (15feet). I may test a second 5 meters, added to the first strip, here in my office, but I need to order a connector to do that.

These can be dimmed. I will also be ordering remote control switches for these as well, that will dim the lights. I need to ask if a normal dimmer switch will work, as well as the remote. I'll get that information by next week.

I think that I will be ordering another couple hundred meters next week if anyone wants to try some. I am not planning on making any money on AVS members... but with your orders included with mine, we can all save money and I can start building up a good supply to have on hand.

I've been searching, and testing so many different lights (that say they are true 365nm, black lights), for many years... and I am really happy with the results of these lights. But, for the record... tube lights are just as good.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboyrules View Post

Jeff -

Do you think that these new BL rope lights would work well with another set of regular rope lights in the same tray? Not on at the same time, of course, and obviously different power supplies. Also, do they support dimming?

Thanks!

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 765 Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 AM

Liked: 12

Jeff,

I would be interested in 20 meters of the UV LED strip light. Thanks Mike

post #753 of 765 Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
I was duped!!! OK, so the LED, UV lights that I just got and tested, do work.... but they are not 365nm. They are 405nm, which means that, while they do charge up the paint... they don't charge it as well as the 365nm. I was promised that they were the 365nm, but I guess that's what happens sometimes. I have a friend with contacts looking into a reputable company that will sell me the real lights that I am looking for, but if anyone wants some of these 405nm lights, I will be happy to make another order and we can all share the cost, and savings. I don't plan on making money on AVS members.

So, Mike, you mentioned that you wanted 20 meters... do you still want that, or would you like to wait and see what I can find in the next little while?

Sorry about getting everyone's (at least those wanting good LED lights) hopes up... but I am kind of bummed too. But, they do charge the paint. I just want to see how the real lights will charge the paint!!!

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #754 of 765 Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Liked: 10
For those of us who are prepping our theater spaces for a painted star ceiling, can people share what the electrical plans should be for up in the soffits for the black light options? What is needed and how do the LED soft lights get power? What is needed and how do tube lights get power?
Any explanations and/or photos to demonstrate would be appreciated. Thanks!

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS
THE SPUD CELLAR
post #755 of 765 Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Head over to the following url:

http://wildfirefx.com/products/lighting/ultrarail.aspx

These lights have connectors that allow you to literally plug one light into another.

My room has a single outlet in the soffit. Soffit was rectangular, 15' on one side and 12' on short side. You can string a max of 300 watts per single outlet.

I ran 2 circuits, basically an L shaped grouping of these lights around the soffit.

3-4ft lights + 1-2ft light + 1-1ft light for the 15' side and then attached a connector cord to go around the corner and added 3 more 4ft lights. (This is one circuit) There are 2 of these.

Lights are very fragile, and the bulbs break easily. But overall they are so easy to mount. I have them pointing out to the center of the room.

4ft bulb use 28watts, 2ft bulb 14watts and 1ft bulb 8 watts. You can mix and match, just do not go over 300 watts in a single line and alls well.
NightSkyMurals and dabsabre like this.
post #756 of 765 Old 04-03-2014, 07:51 AM

tspotorno, 

I checked the link very informative. Can you upload some pics of your set up?

Thanks,

Mike

post #757 of 765 Old 04-03-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileofsmiles View Post

tspotorno, 

I checked the link very informative. Can you upload some pics of your set up?

Thanks,
Mike

I just posted some pics of the Wildfire fixtures used in 7channelfreak's College Park build.
post #758 of 765 Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Liked: 18
Jeff, did you say that you are offering your paintings on ceiling tiles as well or did I imagine things ? I mean, yes you said that you can paint on them but what I mean is would you be able to paint on them offsite and ship them ?
post #759 of 765 Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Spaceman, thanks for the pics.

Mike

post #760 of 765 Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Spaceman i noticed that you used both LED and Black lights on the College Park Build. Any specific reason you used both? Are the LED RGB or a specific color? 

Thank you

post #761 of 765 Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post

Head over to the following url:

http://wildfirefx.com/products/lighting/ultrarail.aspx

These lights have connectors that allow you to literally plug one light into another.

My room has a single outlet in the soffit. Soffit was rectangular, 15' on one side and 12' on short side. You can string a max of 300 watts per single outlet.

I ran 2 circuits, basically an L shaped grouping of these lights around the soffit.

3-4ft lights + 1-2ft light + 1-1ft light for the 15' side and then attached a connector cord to go around the corner and added 3 more 4ft lights. (This is one circuit) There are 2 of these.

Lights are very fragile, and the bulbs break easily. But overall they are so easy to mount. I have them pointing out to the center of the room.

4ft bulb use 28watts, 2ft bulb 14watts and 1ft bulb 8 watts. You can mix and match, just do not go over 300 watts in a single line and alls well.

Thanks for the info on how you did it.
I am looking at educating myself on all of the different ways people have gotten good results and how they went about it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated by myself and others I'm sure

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS
THE SPUD CELLAR
post #762 of 765 Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileofsmiles View Post

Spaceman i noticed that you used both LED and Black lights on the College Park Build. Any specific reason you used both? Are the LED RGB or a specific color? 
Thank you

The black lights are there just to charge the star ceiling. The blue rope light is there for accent lighting. It will not properly charge the glow-in-the-dark paint on the ceiling.

We also had 2 levels of soffit that needed light. The upper and lower soffits both have rope light. The upper soffit (closest to the star ceiling) also has black lights.
post #763 of 765 Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I just have to say that over the years I've enjoyed seeing the great art work done to members ceilings as shown in this thread.
Fantastic stuff!
NightSkyMurals likes this.
post #764 of 765 Old 04-10-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, I can paint them in my office. I have a small room where I paint. But, the question is... how many panels do you want painted? The reason I ask is that I like to put them up, as they would be arranged on your ceiling... and then paint them all together, then mark the back of them so that you can put them up in the same order that they were painted. That way, any constellations that I paint, and/or Milky Way... will all line up and look right.

So, sure... but let me know the size. If it's for a 15 x 15 ceiling.... I would have to find a really large area to paint in. :-)

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolkerH. View Post

Jeff, did you say that you are offering your paintings on ceiling tiles as well or did I imagine things ? I mean, yes you said that you can paint on them but what I mean is would you be able to paint on them offsite and ship them ?

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #765 of 765 Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Any news on the new UV led strands?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version