Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #781 of 798 Old 09-21-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi Free...

I hope that Paul has taken care of you, in answer to your email. Just to let you know (if you didn't see my note on the FB page), I sent over the initial order to the manufacturer and the next day we got a call from him telling us that his laser cutter went out and he was waiting for a new one to arrive. So, I am hoping that he will be able to start cutting by the end of the month so I can start shipping this first batch out a couple of weeks after that. I can promise you that unless it is extremely urgent that you get that mural painted yesterday... the wait will be worth it.

So sorry for this. Watch for updates on the FB page.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2bmeAJMD View Post
I'm so ready to paint!!! And I love s'mores! (Can you tell I'm excited?!?!)
I did some internet "trolling" and found your FB page last night and emailed via your website earlier today...that's how ready I am.
So when you get a chance, can you please provide me the info to purchase your DIY kits? I don't mind that it is more expensive than others that are on the market out there, the "test" murals look fabulous!
Thanx a bunch!

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 798 Old 09-21-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Night Sky Stencil

Hi Xzener...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post
Agreed, the test murals look great.

Jeff, a couple more questions...

1) What size (largest) room will your stencil cover?
This is a great question and something that I played around with for a couple of years (when I had time to work on the stencils between painting trips). At first they were going to cover a 10 x 10 ceiling, and possibly a 12 x 12, but that bothered me because it would have been a pain to paint anything other than those sizes.

So, after playing around with different options... I came up with a new way to do the stencils that would work on virtually any size ceiling. So to answer your question as to the "Largest" ceiling it will work on? That would depend more on your back and neck than the stencil.

Quote:
2) Will custom sizes be available, or will a customer be required to trim to fit?
See the last paragraph in my previous answer. It will just work on any ceiling size.

Quote:
3) Will you be creating winter and summer solstice stencils?
I will offer Summer and Winter constellations, but I think that (and I'm still playing around with this) we will put four of the most recognizable constellations in the kits. I may offer a couple of different kits with 4 different constellations, but instead of having 4 summer in one, and 4 winter in another... with the exception of the Big and Little dippers (that really need to be together), I have found that most of my customers lately like the idea of having recognizable constellations (even if they are normally seen at different times of the year) as opposed to accurate, but less recognizable. But, I think that I will have various constellations available.

Quote:
Also... Sorry, so many questions... As a former user of Ursa Majors stencil, I found it difficult to keep track of which holes were filled with paint... Do you recommend painting with a black light on?
Yeah, I think so. It is just so much easier to see where you've painted, if you get lost, by shining the black light into the holes and having the stars fluoresce where you've already painted. We have some other little tricks that are explained in the kits as well.

For the record... these are as close as you will ever get to a mural that I would paint, by using a stencil. And, if a person follows directions explicitly, they will end up with a mural better than most other painters (excluding me, of course)

But, they still are not as intricate as what I would paint... and they require a lot of patience, ibuprofen and time.

These aren't for everyone. But since you are a DIYer, and I've seed what you are capable of... I think that you will love these.

Of course, if there's a ribeye involved again... I may have to drop by again to see how you did.
xzener likes this.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #783 of 798 Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Night Sky Stencil

Hi Bill... and thanks!

If you haven't done so already, can you email us and let Paul know that you want to be added to the list? He does all of that so I can keep painting. If you haven't talked with him already, we can still add you to the list (since our manufacturers laser went out and we are in a holding pattern).

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLSID29 View Post
Looking forward to the DIY kit when available, test murals look GREAT!! Put me on the list!!!

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #784 of 798 Old 09-21-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Glow paint

Hi Shannon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Pace View Post
Hi, i am planning to painting my ceiling with fluorescent or glow in the dark paint but i have some questions.

Now i wasnt going to paint a night mural exactly just streaks of paint to make it look like a calming looking room as for the ceiling, do i need to coat it with something in particular (the room is new no additional paint was added)
No, you should be good to go. I don't treat, or coat, the ceilings that I paint, before I paint them. Just get some paint and paint away. Be sure to get a good paint, though, and not the old sulfer-based paints. They smell and are very visible in the light.

Quote:
and second of all for the paint, i understood that i have to 'charge' it however you said the paint stays up for about 12hrs, that means it stays charged or does it loose its fluorescence therefore you have to repaint it etc?
I can only speak to the paint that I mix up... but it does require a good fluorescent light source to "charge" up, or activate the paint. A CFL light bulb, a white fluorescent tube light, a black light (CFL or tube), or hopefully soon (if I can find a good, reliable source) UV LED lights will all charge the paint. The better the light, the better the charge will be.

A quick comment on Fluorescent vs Glow. Fluorescent paint will only shine with a black light on it, while glow paint will soak up energy from the fluorescent light, hold onto it, and then start glowing when the light is turned off. So, when you asked if it loses it's charge of fluorescence... there is no charge to it. My paint will fluoresce and glow. I mix phosphorescent pigments AND fluorescent additives into my paint so they will do both. With a black light on, they will fluoresce. Turn the light off after 15 minutes or so and the paint will glow in the dark.

Now, regarding the time of the glow...

In perfect conditions, with an extremely dark room and a great, powerful light source, most high quality paint that you can find on the Internet should glow for 8 to 12 hours. However... after about 7 or 8 hours, you really need to have good eyes to see it glowing. Maybe a set of night vision goggles would help you see the glow.

Also, even if you turn out the lights, stand and enjoy the streaks that you want to paint, for a few minutes... and then walk out into a lighted room for 15 to 20 minutes, when you go back into the room and expect to see the paint glowing, you will be disappointed. Your eyes will have adjusted to the light from the other rooms and the initial super bright paint (first 10 minutes are the brightest) will have diminished and the combination of eyes that are adapted to the light and paint that has dimmed will have you seeing only black. But, hang out for 5 to 10 minutes and you'll start seeing your streaks again. But, a better way to see them would be to turn on your black lights for a few minutes and they'll be back in full glory.

I hope I didn't ramble too much! I usually do. If you are more confused now.... let me know and I will try to explain it again.

Quote:
btw amazing murals you got there!
Thank you very much!

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #785 of 798 Old 09-21-2014, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Have you found a source for true LED strips that will charge your ceilings as well as normal tube black lights?

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #786 of 798 Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

LED 365 nm UV strip lights

I thought I had, but it turned out to not be the case. I will keep trying. It's frustrating.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Have you found a source for true LED strips that will charge your ceilings as well as normal tube black lights?

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #787 of 798 Old 09-22-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. So a modular type stencil?... BRILLIANT!!! Will definitely be easier to attach to the ceiling as opposed to Ursa Major stencils. I found it very hard to get a 2' by 12' sheet of stencil up without it falling off the other side of the room.

Hope to be one of the first to try it out. Keep us posted with progress and pricing.

Good news... I'm painting my walls, and have the soffit 80% complete. Still have to texture where the ceiling light fixture was... And hire a true mural artist to achieve my sky mural vision. My artistic skill is lacking in the realism department of cloud painting.

I look forward to having a mural worthy of showcasing on your website to help lure future stencil customers. I WILL have a freshly BBQ'd rib eye waiting for you.

Keep us posted on the stencil production.
NightSkyMurals likes this.
post #788 of 798 Old 10-07-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff,

I am in contact with a gentleman from a factory in China, they produce 365nm UV LED strips. They are at the tail end of their National Day Vacation. He said he will shoot me off a quote for the 365nm strips when he gets back to the office... He noted they are "unique, and very expensive", but if its anywhere near the quote for 400nm strips, which go for $1.25 to $1.93 per Meter... I think we may be in business. I know I, and several others have shown great interest in purchasing these strips... Maybe we can gather enough funds to buy a role of this stuff factory direct??

I will email you the specifics if you are interested, I know I am.
Mfusick likes this.
post #789 of 798 Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Jeff,

I am in contact with a gentleman from a factory in China, they produce 365nm UV LED strips. They are at the tail end of their National Day Vacation. He said he will shoot me off a quote for the 365nm strips when he gets back to the office... He noted they are "unique, and very expensive", but if its anywhere near the quote for 400nm strips, which go for $1.25 to $1.93 per Meter... I think we may be in business. I know I, and several others have shown great interest in purchasing these strips... Maybe we can gather enough funds to buy a role of this stuff factory direct??

I am interested as well.

post #790 of 798 Old 10-08-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Jeff,

Count me in as well. As I have 2 rooms, I would need approx 250 ft of the lights.
post #791 of 798 Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems as though the 365nm LED strips are legit. In the process of buying some samples. These are going to be very expensive.

For the single emitting LED (smd3528), 30LED per meter.. $14 per meter.
For the smd3528, 60LED per meter... $25 per meter.

For the tripple emitting LED (smd5050), 30LED per meter... $35 per meter.
For smd5050, 60LED per meter... $70 per meter.
post #792 of 798 Old 10-11-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Wanted to ask (those of you with black ceilings) if anyone regrets painting their room black before having Jeff paint the mural.

I have the urge to go black, but am afraid the paint would absorb too much light... Black light that is. Taking away from the quality of charge in the glow-in-the-dark stars.

Any thoughts or insight?
post #793 of 798 Old Today, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Night Sky stencil

Yeah, I went around and around on which way to go with the stencils (the guys helping me with the packaging told me that they are not really stencils, because usually with stencils you just paint over them - with a brush or roller... but that these should be called a guide because the stars are all laid out and you paint one at a time)... and I finally went with the modular set up and I am waaaaay happy about that. Partly for the reason that you mentioned, that it's difficult to manage the long sheets. And, I've heard nothing but positive feedback from the testers. I just got a really long testimonial that I probably shouldn't post here, but it's on the Night Sky Stencils Facebook page. It was really encouraging to get such a nice testimonial.

So, I tell you that, xzener, so you can get excited to get your night sky back up on your ceiling.

Jeff

Quote:
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. So a modular type stencil?... BRILLIANT!!! Will definitely be easier to attach to the ceiling as opposed to Ursa Major stencils. I found it very hard to get a 2' by 12' sheet of stencil up without it falling off the other side of the room.

Hope to be one of the first to try it out. Keep us posted with progress and pricing.

Good news... I'm painting my walls, and have the soffit 80% complete. Still have to texture where the ceiling light fixture was... And hire a true mural artist to achieve my sky mural vision. My artistic skill is lacking in the realism department of cloud painting.

I look forward to having a mural worthy of showcasing on your website to help lure future stencil customers. I WILL have a freshly BBQ'd rib eye waiting for you.

Keep us posted on the stencil production.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #794 of 798 Old Today, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

I see from your next post that you found the quote quite difference.

Quote:
Jeff,

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #795 of 798 Old Today, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

xzener... After hearing back from a customer who purchased some already (that did work, yet didn't reach out to the center of his ceiling)... I would go with the triple emitting strips. And, for whomever has the resources... the triple emitting, 60 LED's per meter should be the best of the best.

Those prices do see pricey, but when you consider a 4' WildFireFX light (the best tube lights I've found) are around $85 each (just over a meter)... it seems to be about the same price.

Please let us know what you find out xzener... and if you happen to have an extra sample, or one that you can loan me for a little while... I'd like to do some testing myself.

BTW xzener... looks like I'm going to be heading over to Australia to paint a few murals. Excited about that!!!!

Jeff

Quote:
Seems as though the 365nm LED strips are legit. In the process of buying some samples. These are going to be very expensive.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

Last edited by NightSkyMurals; Today at 03:07 PM.
post #796 of 798 Old Today, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got back from a trip to Vegas... I'm exhausted... and broke. Haha! Wanted badly to go out for a drive in the middle of the night to see the night sky, but was unable. I was able to stroll the Venetian, which again inspired me. I love there sky murals. The effect is amazing in person. If not paying attention, the clouds seem to be moving. A cool side effect. I think it's because the sky goes up and over the buildings. Something I was going for, but failed to capture IMO. I did, in my many exhausting walks, visit a Peter Lik gallery... and was BLOWN AWAY!! Check this out... http://www.lik.com/thework/praries-f...ialdreams.html

His work is printed on special paper which, its hard to explain, seems to change time of day when halogen track lighting is dimmed. The picture linked above was so beautiful... It has made me rethink my soffit design, construction, mural... More or less, I'm back to the drawing board.

Hope it doesn't put me to far back.
post #797 of 798 Old Today, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Let me know how these work out for you... It looks more or less the same cost if I went traditional black lights.

I bought 4' fixtures from home depot (dual T5 tubes). I calculate 17$ each for 'normal' 45" black light T5 tubes, so thats, 34$ per 4' for bulbs and 35$ for the fixture. So that's almost 70$ right there and only lose 5" from the smd5050.

So if its bright, and it works as good as traditional black lights, I'd rather just spend a little extra cash and do LED.

post #798 of 798 Old Today, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

My first theater, I bought eight 4' single blacklight fixtures. They were bright, and filled the ceiling perfectly. They were $35 each. I agree, very similar in cost. I will ask if MUCH shorter orders are doable.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page