Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 30 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #871 of 893 Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs View Post
great thread everyone. i know that extremes are not preferred for these painted ceilings. so if black/ white are "out" how did you all choose what color to paint your ceilings?

I'm struggling with the paint color a bit myself.

I think a darker color is best in general for a home theater for obvious reasons and I think you'd want to paint the stars on a darker color for better contrast in low light. However in a bright environment I think the lighter color tends to hide the paint better.

Personally, I'm leaning toward something that would mimic the outside.. a dark blue or dark grey would be like a night sky. I'd use a knockdown texture as Jeff recommended to make the paint less visible when the room his lit. Check out @ClemsonJeeper for an example: The Vortex Theater Build

The one new idea I have is maybe adding some framing like @RadarVector has posted just above. That separation makes it look like a window or skylight and adds a really cool effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 893 Old 02-24-2015, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I'll let you know how it turns out on my dark blue ceiling after Jeff schedules his trip out here to paint the ceiling. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #873 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi Chris... I see that Xzener was the nice guy, as always, and jumped in and answered your question. And, I will try to find the time to find, or take, some pictures of the differences in what you see (in the light) on different colored ceilings.

So, while it would be awesome to have all of the stars invisible on dark ceilings... it is just not possible. However, what I have found is that if you have some texture on your dark colored ceiling... out of, let's say, 4000 stars that might be in the mural... you will probably see between 40 to 150. And, it isn't always the color that decides how many you see. It's one of those unknowns. I've painted very similar ceilings that had similar texture and similar color... and one showed 40 or so stars, while the other showed more towards the higher end.

The stars that show up are usually the constellation stars... so you will see whatever constellations you have (Big Dipper, Little Dipper, Orion, Leo...) and some of the larger background stars. Now the background stars are made up of about 20-25 different sized stars... and the larger stars in that group are the ones that you would be more likely to see. And I've never really had anyone say that they hated seeing those stars, either. So... I will try to get a picture posted sooner, rather than later, if possible.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Young View Post
Hi Jeff,

Can this be painted on a black ceiling and remain invisible until charged or lit by light/Black light?
Thank you,
post #874 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Kamikaze13...

I really don't understand the 24B-Pound reference in the description, but as long as it's like all of the other black lights that look like that one... it'll charge the paint. In fact, it looks similar to the light that I carry in my bag when I travel to paint. It really isn't so much the "Black Light" that charges the paint, but the light spectrum that it gives off... so a similar, white fluorescent tube light, or CFL bulb will do just about the same thing that the black light does. I like black lights for a few reasons... one is that they don't cause your pupils to close up when the light is on and you're in a dark room. So, when the black light goes off... you'll see the mural quicker. Another reason is that, when placed in soffits, around the room of a theater room (or my sons bedroom), it creates a really nice look. And, one more reason is that I put an additive into my paints that cause the paint to fluoresce under black light.... so your stars will fluoresce while they are being charged up (with black light) and then glow once they're turned off. And, for those who want to watch a movie and also look up and see some stars - if the black lights are left on during the movie... even though the movie washes the glow away, the black lights will cause the larger stars to fluoresce and thus, be seen.

Geez, here I go again with my long answers! Sorry!!!

Depending on the size of room you have... you might be able to use one of those lights to charge your ceiling (as in my kids rooms where we put one on their beds to charge the paint), but the larger the ceiling is, the more lights you will need to charge up the paint. If they are going on the floor during charging time and then being put away... then you might want to bump up to a 48" black light. That'll cover more area. If you're daring... then go for the 48" double light unit. That'll charge a good sized area.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
post #875 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That turned out really nice. Good job!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdahiya View Post
Hi All,

Just keeping it short and picture will speak more then words. NO tradsmen used. Hanged from existing ceiling. size 2400x 1200. Total star 450. 32 square (300mm x 300mm), 14 stars each squares. Easy to remove if in case you need to replace any light source or controller.

I hope you like it.
post #876 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for mentioning this! I've tried to get over here and mention it... but just haven't been able to. No time...

Thanks again!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post
for those looking into blacklights, i got that 15% discount through wildfire fx based on the recommendation through jeff and mentioning his name in the emai. obviously there are cheaper lights out there but if you're looking into the wildfire brand, you can get that 15% off.
post #877 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What color ceiling for a Night Sky Mural to be painted on?

Hi DrBabs...

I hope this isn't too late. For stars to not be seen in the light 9or at least very difficult to see) the ceiling should have some type of texture and be in the range from an off white (though white will work) to a light pastel color. You can get away with a light gray color, as well, but the darker the color gets, the more likely it will be that you see some stars in the light. Also, I have found that there is a slight glowing difference on a light colored ceiling versus a darker colored ceiling. No clue as to why... but I suspect it may have something to do with the light colored ceilings reflecting the paint glow better.

If you go with a light color, but don't have any texture... there is a good chance that you will see some tiny little bumps on the ceiling, too. To get enough glow pigment up on the ceiling to glow... I can't just paint a small dot. My paint is more like a thick cream, or toothpaste, that I dab on. That's why the texture is nice... because it hides the little dabs.

Off white to light pastel.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs View Post
What is the ideal shade range to paint a ceiling before painting stars ? I have to paint this week and I want the ideal shade. What do you guys suggest?
post #878 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Examples of murals painted using the Night Sky Murals DIY stencil kit

Dang it... I love seeing stuff like this!!! This makes me feel so good to see what people are doing with my stencils. Thanks for sharing!!!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarVector View Post
Here's some pics of the ceiling I painted using the night sky stencils
post #879 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Great thread and very impressive work. Would your designs or stencil work on a ceiling that is painted with the 'orange peel' effect?
post #880 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

YEs to most of what you wrote (thanks for your answer!!)... but stars on a darker colored ceiling will only make a difference in the light. In low light, it seems that the glow of the stars is brighter on a light colored ceiling... most likely because it is reflected better. But, I still do a lot of dark ceilings.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikon View Post
I'm struggling with the paint color a bit myself.

I think a darker color is best in general for a home theater for obvious reasons and I think you'd want to paint the stars on a darker color for better contrast in low light. However in a bright environment I think the lighter color tends to hide the paint better.
post #881 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am trying to put this trip together. For some reason... this has been one of the most difficult trips to coordinate (throw in two weeks of bed rest because of a bad back and then the flu... and it's even more difficult). BUT.... I will be there sooner than a few weeks. You have witnesses here to see my promise. (Can this post be deleted if I need it to be?)

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
I'll let you know how it turns out on my dark blue ceiling after Jeff schedules his trip out here to paint the ceiling. Hopefully in the next few weeks.
post #882 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Night Sky Murals on an Orange Peel texture?

Absolutely! In fact, the orange peel is similar to the little dots that I paint (or you would paint if you used the stencil)... so it's a great texture!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholmes1 View Post
Great thread and very impressive work. Would your designs or stencil work on a ceiling that is painted with the 'orange peel' effect?
post #883 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That is great to hear. I will run some of your work past my wife and get her thoughts. The space to fill is pretty small at 10' 3/4" x 14" and I have no plans for a soffit for black lighting, so a really detailed mural would not likely be the option but a nice star sky would be a great addition. I will be in touch.
NightSkyMurals likes this.
post #884 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 05:18 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
Hi Kamikaze13...

I really don't understand the 24B-Pound reference in the description, but as long as it's like all of the other black lights that look like that one... it'll charge the paint. In fact, it looks similar to the light that I carry in my bag when I travel to paint. It really isn't so much the "Black Light" that charges the paint, but the light spectrum that it gives off... so a similar, white fluorescent tube light, or CFL bulb will do just about the same thing that the black light does. I like black lights for a few reasons... one is that they don't cause your pupils to close up when the light is on and you're in a dark room. So, when the black light goes off... you'll see the mural quicker. Another reason is that, when placed in soffits, around the room of a theater room (or my sons bedroom), it creates a really nice look. And, one more reason is that I put an additive into my paints that cause the paint to fluoresce under black light.... so your stars will fluoresce while they are being charged up (with black light) and then glow once they're turned off. And, for those who want to watch a movie and also look up and see some stars - if the black lights are left on during the movie... even though the movie washes the glow away, the black lights will cause the larger stars to fluoresce and thus, be seen.

Geez, here I go again with my long answers! Sorry!!!

Depending on the size of room you have... you might be able to use one of those lights to charge your ceiling (as in my kids rooms where we put one on their beds to charge the paint), but the larger the ceiling is, the more lights you will need to charge up the paint. If they are going on the floor during charging time and then being put away... then you might want to bump up to a 48" black light. That'll cover more area. If you're daring... then go for the 48" double light unit. That'll charge a good sized area.

Jeff
Thanks a lot.
They will go in a soffit in my theater. Painted area will be roughly 12'x10' so I was thinking of using 4 or 6 of them.

VIDEO: JVC DLA-RS57U Projector / 106" Grandview fixed frame screen - Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PlayStation 3 AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3009 SPEAKERS: Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains - Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center - Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4 SUBWOOFERS: SVS PB2000 / Velodyne DPS-12
post #885 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks for mentioning this! I've tried to get over here and mention it... but just haven't been able to. No time...

Thanks again!

Jeff
no problem buddy

Love sports, movies, and games. Slowly some day I'll add a projector and screen. Until then, I'll build up my library.
post #886 of 893 Old 02-25-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot.
They will go in a soffit in my theater. Painted area will be roughly 12'x10' so I was thinking of using 4 or 6 of them.
Or is that overkill?

VIDEO: JVC DLA-RS57U Projector / 106" Grandview fixed frame screen - Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PlayStation 3 AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3009 SPEAKERS: Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains - Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center - Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4 SUBWOOFERS: SVS PB2000 / Velodyne DPS-12
post #887 of 893 Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I used 10-4ft lights and 2-2ft lights in my room that is about 20x12.
post #888 of 893 Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Or is that overkill?
It depends...

Radar Vector just gave an example of what he put in his room... and others get away with just one 4' black light on the floor (for 15 minutes before putting away).

Do you really need 10 - 15 lights in the room to charge the paint? No. You can get away with one or two that are down low, to charge the paint. But, to supercharge your ceiling fast, it sure doesn't hurt. But, the reason that most people go with that many lights is because they want the look of the black lights around the room... and the closer together they are, the more even the glow will be. So, it's a combination of both the light needed to charge the paint, and a really cool look around the ceiling.

Does that make sense? Something that I did in my son's room, to save on the black light expense was to get one 4' black light that he puts on his bed for 15 minutes before going to bed (to charge up the paint), and I also found some cheap black light, rope lights (the kind that don't charge the paint) and put those in the soffit around his room for the glowing look. That's another cheap way to do both. But, if yo can do it... the black lights around the room serve both purposes.

Jeff
post #889 of 893 Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

Quote:
It depends...

Radar Vector just gave an example of what he put in his room... and others get away with just one 4' black light on the floor (for 15 minutes before putting away).

Do you really need 10 - 15 lights in the room to charge the paint? No. You can get away with one or two that are down low, to charge the paint. But, to supercharge your ceiling fast, it sure doesn't hurt. But, the reason that most people go with that many lights is because they want the look of the black lights around the room... and the closer together they are, the more even the glow will be. So, it's a combination of both the light needed to charge the paint, and a really cool look around the ceiling.

Does that make sense? Something that I did in my son's room, to save on the black light expense was to get one 4' black light that he puts on his bed for 15 minutes before going to bed (to charge up the paint), and I also found some cheap black light, rope lights (the kind that don't charge the paint) and put those in the soffit around his room for the glowing look. That's another cheap way to do both. But, if yo can do it... the black lights around the room serve both purposes.

Jeff
Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reply.

post #890 of 893 Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I am trying to put this trip together. For some reason... this has been one of the most difficult trips to coordinate (throw in two weeks of bed rest because of a bad back and then the flu... and it's even more difficult). BUT.... I will be there sooner than a few weeks. You have witnesses here to see my promise. (Can this post be deleted if I need it to be?)

Jeff
Quoting this so you can't delete it. ;-)

Just kidding... heal up!

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #891 of 893 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Quoting this so you can't delete it. ;-)

Just kidding... heal up!
I believe I'm trying to get in on Jeff's services as well during his trip to our area to do your project!

I hope you feel better soon!
post #892 of 893 Old Today, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
awesome work in here. I can't wait to finish my new home and then get started on our home theater room. !
post #893 of 893 Old Today, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Jeff I'm interested in buying a stencil kit from you what does it come with and the cost. I have a ceiling that's around 28 feet long and 9 feet wide. I'm guessing that I can move the stencil kit further back since its so long. does it just get taped up and you fill in the dots. Thanks mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page