Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 33 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2015, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
Well, I have some experience with this... at least with building my theater and experiences and research done when buying lights for my room. So I don't have ALL of the experience, but hopefully I can help you make a good decision.

What I was getting at... take a look at the rope lighting from my original completed theater.

That is using the old style incandescent rope lights. As you can see by the photo, the red light doesn't reach very far. At least, the reflected light that you can visibly see on the ceiling is not. But that isn't necessarily an indicator of where the light "ends". The light put out by that red rope light was very low, but I was still able to see the rest of the room. So it may appear that the light doesn't go very far, but the light does extend outwards additionally because it ends up lighting the other objects in the room dimly.... otherwise you wouldn't be able to see at all.

I tore down that red rope light and replaced it with black light tubes. Now, if I were to take a picture of the ceiling with the tubes on, you would also see an area around the edges where the light is concentrated and obviously purple. But U/V lights are already straying from the visible spectrum and in general purple is already at the edge of the visible spectrum. So when you see the purple lighting, it also doesn't end where the purple ends. It just is where light tends to be most focused. Just as the rope lights, light does extend further than the visible "purple" and thus parts of the ceiling get charged beyond the purple area... just not as quickly and not at the same strength since the U/V is not concentrated as much as you get away from the corner. I even tested this the other day and turned on the lights for 5 minutes after a movie. Only 5 minutes. The edges were obviously brighter, but you could see all of the stars in the center, and the milky way was visible, which is just a dusting of paint all the way across the center of the ceiling. Thus, the soffit lights do charge the middle, it appears less charged than the edges though since they get so much more focused U/V light.

If I didn't turn on any soffit lights at all and only put the floor U/V light on, it barely puts out any visible light at all, yet all of the stars light up, and any white objects in the room glow immensely from the U/V reactive light. So it doesn't appear to cover much space visibly, but in reality it covers a large space and at a high intensity. In this case, the ceiling charges evenly, though since it is on the floor, it charges the paint on the side walls behind the soffit much more dimly (The opposite of what the soffit lights do) because the light basically has to reflect off of other surfaces to directly hit the paint in the soffit cavity. The combination of the two charge the ceiling perfectly.

As far as the bulbs go, if you already have the scones set up on your walls, buying the normal bulbs is very cheap, so a test would also be cheap to see if it works, but I still think you would get much more use out of normal lighting. You will want some sort of normal lighting in the room, and lots of times sconces are the most common way to light a theater room and I was trying to say that they would be much better off being normal bulbs, and you can charge your ceiling in another way.

When it comes to the light cannon on the floor... you won't mount the one I linked anywhere in a theater. It is huge and would stick out like a sore thumb. I just pull it out behind the last row of seats and set it up if I want to use it to charge the ceiling before a movie, but don't leave it on. The black lights in the soffit can be left on during a movie without really ruining the visible light in the room. If you are still in the stage where you are building your theater, and you really want to do the ceiling, I still think that using the soffit for U/V lighting is the best case. If you want to have a permanently mounted light cannon, then something like this http://www.amazon.com/American-Dj-Ca...v+light+cannon can be mounted under the soffit somewhere in the back pointing toward the center, but those lights take 15 minutes just to warm up... like stadium/gym lights. There have been some QC issues with them too. The one I have works great, but the size of it is made to be mounted to a club/gym ceiling way up out of sight. It would really stand out in a residential space, which is why I didn't mount it.

THanks again. Your room is like a dream!

I looked up the cfl vs incandescent UV bulbs. as a general rule the cfl are better, but there are many variables in manufacturing specs. some just have purple paint on the cheap glass, some use an actual uv rated glass and have the proper gas inside (like the tubes). I think a permanent mounted light canon is probably not a great idea either. I will experiment with blocked out shades on the sconce lights, mounting them slightly lower and 12" out from the wall should helpfully help a little also.

Is there someone here who has had any experience with:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=612710

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=612610

also, I would like to paint a few hundred stars right smack dab in the middle of the room to see if I can get them to charge, before fully committing. Anyone know where i can get a small jar of really good paint for stars? I asked Jeff, but he is super busy (with amazing work like that, im glad!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs View Post

I looked up the cfl vs incandescent UV bulbs. as a general rule the cfl are better, but there are many variables in manufacturing specs. some just have purple paint on the cheap glass, some use an actual uv rated glass and have the proper gas inside (like the tubes). I think a permanent mounted light canon is probably not a great idea either. I will experiment with blocked out shades on the sconce lights, mounting them slightly lower and 12" out from the wall should helpfully help a little also.

also, I would like to paint a few hundred stars right smack dab in the middle of the room to see if I can get them to charge, before fully committing. Anyone know where i can get a small jar of really good paint for stars? I asked Jeff, but he is super busy (with amazing work like that, im glad!)
On the second one you listed (the one pictured), the review says it just fades in and out without a DMX controller. That would be a major problem.

Thank you for the compliments by the way!

Something else you might want to think about. So far we've only talked about UV lights. The primary reason people use UV light is because they can have it on and use the reactive abilities of the paint while keeping the room dim/dark. If all you want to do is charge the lights, and don't care about the reactive part, then you don't need a black light for that. Glow paint will charge non-UV light too. I believe that is written in here somewhere. You can get a normal spotlight type of light and charge the ceiling with that and then turn it off and just get the glow from that too. At least, I believe Jeff said that before, and all other glow in the dark material i've had in past just needed normal light as well.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Try glowinc.com or wildfirefx.com for glow paint.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...oot-boxes.html
The STONE HAMMERS sub box build 4/20 cubic boxes tuned @ 16hz.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
On the second one you listed (the one pictured), the review says it just fades in and out without a DMX controller. That would be a major problem.

Thank you for the compliments by the way!

Something else you might want to think about. So far we've only talked about UV lights. The primary reason people use UV light is because they can have it on and use the reactive abilities of the paint while keeping the room dim/dark. If all you want to do is charge the lights, and don't care about the reactive part, then you don't need a black light for that. Glow paint will charge non-UV light too. I believe that is written in here somewhere. You can get a normal spotlight type of light and charge the ceiling with that and then turn it off and just get the glow from that too. At least, I believe Jeff said that before, and all other glow in the dark material i've had in past just needed normal light as well.

I think you are right.
Shoot, I guess I was hung up on the UV/ blacklight because I wanted the stars to glow DURING the movie as well, but I imagine they should still hold a small charge, even with the brightness of the projector (i would hope)

Im going to get a little jar of paint and experiment in my kids room. Its about the same size.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think you are right.
Shoot, I guess I was hung up on the UV/ blacklight because I wanted the stars to glow DURING the movie as well, but I imagine they should still hold a small charge, even with the brightness of the projector (i would hope)
Well they will glow during a movie, but when the screen is lit up and you are staring at it, the stars themselves will seem dim due to the combination of light pollution and your adjustment to that bright screen. If you want it to be visible during the movie then you would want UV lights likely, but it still won't be anywhere close to as nice as it gets in a dark room.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:08 PM

I just received a email from nightskymurals and like he was saying his wife is helping out with the stencils and the emails so anyone that's waiting for this check your email they should be coming to you soon in your inbox and hopefully a PayPal link to follow. [emoji51][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] Mike

Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 AM

The mural is on its way the PayPal link was emailed to me this morning[emoji51]woot woot

Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Same here, Just sent the Payment...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice! Congrats to both of you! Get ready to do some work!
cdy2179 and eng-399 like this.
Old Today, 01:55 PM

Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics?

Just got the stencil kit it was delivered today!!! That was really fast!! to bad I won't be home until later to check it out. Did you get yours today to Cody.

Old Today, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Not yet