Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #1111 of 1157 Old 01-22-2016, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Ok, stars ceiling is done. Here's a few pics along the way.

First the only lights I could find that fit into the crown and didn't force me to donate all of my blood were from Slimflourescent.com.

Here's a shot showing how much room I have in the crown. I ripped up a 2x6 (basically quartered up a 2x2) to give me something solid to mount the crown to and to give the lights a flat place to sit.

Here's the crown installed and as you see the wedge gives a flat spot for the light to sit. The edge looks ragged but it's not.. that's just my paint overlapping the front edge.

Here's me testing out one of the lights. They come with a cover. I fired it up and was like...crap... these things suck.

Then I figured I'd remove the cover and BAM.. I guess the cover blocks UV light.

The lights sat a little low and was shadowed by the crown about 2 feet out. I needed a way to lift them. I looked down and had all of the covers I had ripped off all over the floor. They actually lift the light even with the crown and allow the UV to hit the center of the room with ease.

A few shots with my phone camera... It's hard to get a good shot.

There's a lot more stars than the pic shows... lots more. When Jeff says if you touched it and left even a small amount of paint ... it's enough... he's right. I wish I had used a black light while painting as in some places I didn't think it would show up so I got more paint on the tool but in reality it was fine.

Last edited by cdy2179; 01-22-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1157 Old 01-23-2016, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Wow... that looks great! I love the look that you captured. Thanks!

SlimFluorescents are a good option, and once you get all lights working... I think they're fine.

YES... The covers need to be removed. I went back out to Virginia Beach because the customer just couldn't get his paint to charge up, and I had him try everything (and it was a large ceiling). So, after I drove out there and stood in the room for about 20 minutes to let my eyes adapt (he'd left the lights on for about 5 hours at this point), I had him shut off the lights... and nothing. Actually we could see many 50 stars. I was just about to start painting the ceiling again when I took a look in the soffit, at the lights. Yep, covers were on. Why hadn't I thought of that sooner!??? Took the covers off and "POOF" the ceiling charged up in like 5 minutes. We were BOTH very happy!

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!!!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post

First the only lights I could find that fit into the crown and didn't force me to donate all of my blood were from Slimflourescent.com.

Here's a shot showing how much room I have in the crown. I ripped up a 2x6 (basically quartered up a 2x2) to give me something solid to mount the crown to and to give the lights a flat place to sit.

Here's the crown installed and as you see the wedge gives a flat spot for the light to sit. The edge looks ragged but it's not.. that's just my paint overlapping the front edge.

Here's me testing out one of the lights. They come with a cover. I fired it up and was like...crap... these things suck.

Then I figured I'd remove the cover and BAM.. I guess the cover blocks UV light.

The lights sat a little low and was shadowed by the crown about 2 feet out. I needed a way to lift them. I looked down and had all of the covers I had ripped off all over the floor. They actually lift the light even with the crown and allow the UV to hit the center of the room with ease.

There's a lot more stars than the pic shows... lots more. When Jeff says if you touched it and left even a small amount of paint ... it's enough... he's right. I wish I had used a black light while painting as in some places I didn't think it would show up so I got more paint on the tool but in reality it was fine.
post #1113 of 1157 Old 01-29-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Thanks Jeff.

Those are all with my phone.

I took some pics with my DSLR including some with blacklights on and off without moving the camera between shots for comparison. I need to clean them up a little and post them.

I have to say the ceiling really puts the icing on the cake.

I was watching "the Universe" and saw this now I'm thinking of mimicking this on the ceiling. The paint is bluish after all! Maybe a sponge?

Excuse the white "fake snow" we just started taking Christmas stuff down.

post #1114 of 1157 Old 01-29-2016, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I find it strange how the "or Fiber optics" part never comes up here. Painted ceiling is differently cool, don't get me wrong. But wish their was more posts on optical star fields people have done. Both definitely have Pros and Cons.
post #1115 of 1157 Old 01-29-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
I find it strange how the "or Fiber optics" part never comes up here. Painted ceiling is differently cool, don't get me wrong. But wish their was more posts on optical star fields people have done. Both definitely have Pros and Cons.
I think that was touched on at the beginning of the thread. This IMO both look great, this is easier, but of course fiber doesn't need to charge and doesn't lose it's glow after 30 minutes. The blacks light being on and lighting it up has a totally different feel to it. I guess it's which ever you prefer. This method is much more flexible and the possibility of adding galaxies etc make it attractive.
gamest likes this.
post #1116 of 1157 Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I think that was touched on at the beginning of the thread. This IMO both look great, this is easier, but of course fiber doesn't need to charge and doesn't lose it's glow after 30 minutes. The blacks light being on and lighting it up has a totally different feel to it. I guess it's which ever you prefer. This method is much more flexible and the possibility of adding galaxies etc make it attractive.
Yeah, I completely understand, and I am just amazed that it seems to be that more go with painted star ceiling. We never see anyone posting here their amazing optical star field.
post #1117 of 1157 Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Yeah, I completely understand, and I am just amazed that it seems to be that more go with painted star ceiling. We never see anyone posting here their amazing optical star field.
Yea... I think this has much more WOW factor. I have seen several nice fiber systems and I would be happy to have that in my HT. The best I can put it with the black lights and everything it's almost like artwork... heck some of Jeff's work where he goes all out is art. When the black lights are off it's more in line with fiber as you loose the cool effect having the lights on gives.
gamest likes this.
post #1118 of 1157 Old 02-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yea... I think this has much more WOW factor. I have seen several nice fiber systems and I would be happy to have that in my HT. The best I can put it with the black lights and everything it's almost like artwork... heck some of Jeff's work where he goes all out is art. When the black lights are off it's more in line with fiber as you loose the cool effect having the lights on gives.
You are right, it is defiantly art. I wish the optical method could produce the Milky Way effect that I soooooo love on some of these murals. I am an Astrophysicist and would kill to have the Carina Nebula(we study its massive star formation a lot and I can stare at it for hours) on my ceiling false color of course,

cdy2179 likes this.
post #1119 of 1157 Old 02-02-2016, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

SlimFluorescents are a good option, and once you get all lights working... I think they're fine.

YES... The covers need to be removed. I went back out to Virginia Beach because the customer just couldn't get his paint to charge up, and I had him try everything (and it was a large ceiling). So, after I drove out there and stood in the room for about 20 minutes to let my eyes adapt (he'd left the lights on for about 5 hours at this point), I had him shut off the lights... and nothing. Actually we could see many 50 stars. I was just about to start painting the ceiling again when I took a look in the soffit, at the lights. Yep, covers were on. Why hadn't I thought of that sooner!??? Took the covers off and "POOF" the ceiling charged up in like 5 minutes. We were BOTH very happy!

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!!!

Jeff
so awesome! can you tell me a few things about your amazing ceiling?
whats the approximate dimensions of your ceiling and what color did you paint it? Im just getting started on my stars and want to make sure that I dont stretch the lights too thin. Plus my ceiling is a light grey and during movies, I wish it were darker (I want to get the same awesome results you have, but just curious about the performance trade off).

Thanks for sharing the super photos!!
post #1120 of 1157 Old 02-02-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:

oops, meant to quote Cdy

whats the approximate dimensions of your ceiling and what color did you paint it? Im just getting started on my stars and want to make sure that I dont stretch the lights too thin. Plus my ceiling is a light grey and during movies, I wish it were darker (I want to get the same awesome results you have, but just curious about the performance trade off).

post #1121 of 1157 Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs View Post
oops, meant to quote Cdy

Thanks a bunch.

This is my 2nd HT with a black ceiling. Dark colors are must IMO so the room can disappear. But hey it's easy to fix light grey... paint it... The room is after the baffle wall is 20x16.. of course I have a trey boxed area that has the mural... probably 14x19. I also put stars on the vertical sides of the boxed area to extend the stars more all the way into the crown which holds the lights. I put as many lights as I can fit as having them on has a really awesome look and you can see where the small gaps are between lights.. the lights are by far the biggest expense if you want a continuous look.

The color I think was Aqua but it's one of Jeff's kits. I highly recommend it. I used about half an once on my ceiling. Sure you can just dab paint but it's a lot of work and hard as hell to keep spacing looking realistic and not have too many here and not enough there and the more you go back and fix spots the more you can screw it up. The kit has stencils and you dab where the holes are and you're assured it will look professional and realistic. It also comes with Constellations which are done differently than the background stars. I could see myself trying to freehand it I could easily have screwed it up and had to repaint black and redoing stuff to fix it.
post #1122 of 1157 Old 02-08-2016, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Glow Paint color

Yep, I put Aqua into the kit, and it's the same paint that I use when I paint... no difference. I also have blue paint for those who really want it, but I don't use it much. The blue paint doesn't glow as brightly as the Aqua so that is pretty much the main reason. I will add a few stars, at times, with the blue paint, and sometimes will paint a shooting star with it... but I usually do pretty much all of the mural stars, Milky Way and shooting stars in Aqua. It works out well, mainly because of the different sizes of the stars and the way things are varied. But, again, I have blue and other colors are available on the Internet... but I wouldn't suggest using any other colors (personal preference).

Jeff

Quote:
Thanks a bunch.

The color I think was Aqua but it's one of Jeff's kits. I highly recommend it. I used about half an once on my ceiling. Sure you can just dab paint but it's a lot of work and hard as hell to keep spacing looking realistic and not have too many here and not enough there and the more you go back and fix spots the more you can screw it up. The kit has stencils and you dab where the holes are and you're assured it will look professional and realistic. It also comes with Constellations which are done differently than the background stars. I could see myself trying to freehand it I could easily have screwed it up and had to repaint black and redoing stuff to fix it.
post #1123 of 1157 Old 02-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Is there a recommended ceiling color (white, black, or gray) before using the stencil? Is the end effect the same regardless of ceiling color?
post #1124 of 1157 Old 03-07-2016, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am sooooo sorry!!! I've been traveling and I just stumbled on your question. Again, I apologize.

In case you haven't painted your ceiling yet, I will answer you here.

Any color will work for the murals, but the lighter colors have a couple of advantages over dark ceilings. First, the lighter colored ceilings will hide the paint much better than dark ceilings (when there is light on in the room). You might see a handful of stars on a dark ceiling. Second, for some reason the murals seem to glow slightly brighter on the lighter ceilings. The only thing I can think of is that the glow from the paint reflects more off of the lighter ceilings.

Other than that... any color will work.

Sorry of this answer gets to you too late!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
Is there a recommended ceiling color (white, black, or gray) before using the stencil? Is the end effect the same regardless of ceiling color?
post #1125 of 1157 Old 03-10-2016, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
getting ready to paint my ceiling, what is the best color for the ceiling? I have a burgundy and dark grey room. See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1457659987571.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1305977  
post #1126 of 1157 Old 03-10-2016, 05:39 PM

Sorry, I was on page 110 thinking it was the last page and didn't see this last post. right now my ceiling is a dark burgundy. I plan on running two beams on each side and adding crown molding. Behind the crown molding I am going to run strips of black light. I plan on keeping the black lights on during movies. Will the burgundy look bad with the black light on? Also, how far down does the black light need to be from the ceiling to be able to charge the whole area? The area for stars will be 12 feet wide.
post #1127 of 1157 Old 03-10-2016, 06:09 PM

Also, I have 8 foot ceilings. Is this going to be too low to really enjoy the stars?
post #1128 of 1157 Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloanhaus View Post
Also, I have 8 foot ceilings. Is this going to be too low to really enjoy the stars?
My ceiling height finished is 8.7 and the stars are amazing. I don't think your ceiling is to low to do the star ceiling at all. The diy stencil kit is worth every penny. Its really easy to put up and paint your dot's. Lots of of them!!!!! Its so worth it in the end.
post #1129 of 1157 Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 PM

I saw a post you put on her back in Sept about some strip LED lighting you were ordering from China. How did it turn out? Do you have any pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Quote:
My ceiling height finished is 8.7 and the stars are amazing. I don't think your ceiling is to low to do the star ceiling at all. The diy stencil kit is worth every penny. Its really easy to put up and paint your dot's. Lots of of them!!!!! Its so worth it in the end.
post #1130 of 1157 Old 03-11-2016, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Best color IMO for front wall and ceiling is ....BLACK...BLACK..BLACK... I used Valspar Dark kettle black. 8 foot is fine!
post #1131 of 1157 Old 03-11-2016, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics?

Quote:
I saw a post you put on her back in Sept about some strip LED lighting you were ordering from China. How did it turn out? Do you have any pictures?

Here's a few pictures that I took of the ceiling. Sorry for the bad pictures this was taken by my iPhone 6+. I need to get the entire soffit full of black lights instead of Rgb led lighting but I bought 4 more subs instead so maybe next month.... To start out I took Jeff's diy nightsky stencil kit and marked each side A,B,C,D so I can switch the stencil around on the the ceiling so it looks different and random. I didn't like the sticky stuff that came with the stencil kit because some of it stuck to my ceiling so I used green frog tape to hold it up. Next is get a black light out like mine in the picture and have it charge your paint your using and shine the light in the ceiling so you can see which hole you already painted. Jeff has really good directions on how to do it that come with the kit. You basically take a dental pick and barely touch the ceiling with it. Those will be your backer stars. The big stars are your constellations and you use a qtip for that. This takes about 6-8 hours to do and your going to be looking up the entire time but when done it's worth it. Again these are bad pictures but this is what I have as of right now. Cdy's pictures few post above are really nice! See those to.
quamosa likes this.

Last edited by eng-399; 03-11-2016 at 07:21 AM.
post #1132 of 1157 Old 03-17-2016, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Sloanhaus...

I just saw your post. The LED, UV, black lights that I posted about a while back did not work out so well... but I think (yet again) that I may have found a source that might just have what I am looking for. The person who I have been dealing with has been very helpful in asking what I needed the lights for, and then finding lights that he says will work. They are just waiting on me to place an order before they manufacture them. I need to get out an paint again before I place the order... but that should be in the next week or two.

If the strip lights do work, I will post about them here. My fingers are crossed...

I see that you posted a few questions... did your other questions get answered?

Jeff

Quote:
post #1133 of 1157 Old 03-30-2016, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LED, UV 365nm strip lights

Just thought I'd let any of you know, who are trying to find some good LED, UV 365nm strip lights... that I crossed my fingers once again and placed another order for a set that I am promised will be what I am looking for. Most other lights were not 365nm lights, so only worked somewhat. I am heading out to paint for a couple of weeks... but they should arrive shortly after I return. So, I will test them on my office mural, and my bedroom mural and will report what I find out. These sound promising, and are being made just for me (they had to make special lights). So, here's hoping that they work!!!

Jeff
cdy2179 likes this.
post #1134 of 1157 Old 04-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm getting ready to place an order for UV lights from slimfluorescent.com. Does anyone have any recommendations of T4 vs the T5 lights ? I'm leaning towards ordering 6 of the smaller T4 28 watt 46 1/4" lights. My light tray is 16' 4" by 7', and I'm thinking 3 tubes per side. This would give me about a 2' gap between each tube. Is this too much of a gap ? Should I have the lights closer together or go with more smaller tubes ? I'm planning on a future Night Sky Mural and want to have adequate lighting in place.

Thanks

Mike
post #1135 of 1157 Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Noob question. I read somewhere that the light charges the stars for about 30 minutes. I assume if you leave the surrounding lights (behind your crown moldings) on during your movie that the stars stay lit and it isn't to bright in your theater? Or are you guys charging the stars and then switching off your lights?
post #1136 of 1157 Old 04-15-2016, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
I'm getting ready to place an order for UV lights from slimfluorescent.com. Does anyone have any recommendations of T4 vs the T5 lights ? I'm leaning towards ordering 6 of the smaller T4 28 watt 46 1/4" lights. My light tray is 16' 4" by 7', and I'm thinking 3 tubes per side. This would give me about a 2' gap between each tube. Is this too much of a gap ? Should I have the lights closer together or go with more smaller tubes ? I'm planning on a future Night Sky Mural and want to have adequate lighting in place.

Thanks

Mike
These are the cheapest I could find that would fit in 5 1/4 crown. They worked extremely well. Slimflourescent.com. Standard UV lights will not fit inside regular crown without sticking well above the top and being visible... Heck some labeled slim wouldn't fit.

The daisy chain connectors cords are around 8" long. I have gaps around 4-5 inches between lights. The gaps aren't really noticeable to the naked eye yet a camera picks it up well. You can see my pics at the top of the page.
post #1137 of 1157 Old 04-15-2016, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNecromancer View Post
Noob question. I read somewhere that the light charges the stars for about 30 minutes. I assume if you leave the surrounding lights (behind your crown moldings) on during your movie that the stars stay lit and it isn't to bright in your theater? Or are you guys charging the stars and then switching off your lights?
Yea I'd say 30 minutes of glowing is about right but it's still visible an hour later. My kids like the lights on all the time.. I turn them off for movies because I don't like my clothes glowing from UV light...

A huge projector screen will spew light onto the ceiling (even a black ceiling) so it's not like you're going to get the space look while watching movies with bright scenes. This is the case with fiber optics too. If you look up you'll see a ceiling painted black with glowing dots. It does look cool though with the UV lights on as it's kinda artwork all in itself.
post #1138 of 1157 Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 AM

cdy2179 and all on the thread:

1. would you say that if black lights ARE left on during an average brightness movie, that the stars are still highly visible?
2. if charged right before a movie, would you say that the stars are visible (without the black lights on during the movie) despite the light of the projector?

i just got my paint and am trying to decide whether to go through the hassle of putting the tubes/ string into my crown. i have also been told by an electrician that I dont need the plastic base of the lights, just the ends and the tubes and the wiring, which will keep the height WAY down.
post #1139 of 1157 Old 04-15-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs View Post
cdy2179 and all on the thread:

1. would you say that if black lights ARE left on during an average brightness movie, that the stars are still highly visible?
2. if charged right before a movie, would you say that the stars are visible (without the black lights on during the movie) despite the light of the projector?

i just got my paint and am trying to decide whether to go through the hassle of putting the tubes/ string into my crown. i have also been told by an electrician that I dont need the plastic base of the lights, just the ends and the tubes and the wiring, which will keep the height WAY down.

If the UV lights are on..yes the purple haze stays visible as well as stars within a few feet of the lights.

With the UV off the stars are only really visible during darker scenes.

If you order the slimflourescent.com lamps and use 5 1/4 crown, placing the lights on the covers you get this.. which is perfect.

post #1140 of 1157 Old 04-15-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea I'd say 30 minutes of glowing is about right but it's still visible an hour later. My kids like the lights on all the time.. I turn them off for movies because I don't like my clothes glowing from UV light...

A huge projector screen will spew light onto the ceiling (even a black ceiling) so it's not like you're going to get the space look while watching movies with bright scenes. This is the case with fiber optics too. If you look up you'll see a ceiling painted black with glowing dots. It does look cool though with the UV lights on as it's kinda artwork all in itself.

So to help me understand right, the UV lights will light the stars that are within a few feet of the crown molding as long as they are on (for the entire movie) but won't charge the stars whereas the black light will charge the stars so that you could turn all lights off but only for 30 minutes to an hour. Sound correct?

I'm assuming then that after an hour or so, with UV lights on, the center of the ceiling goes dark? Maybe occasionally lit by bright scenes during a movie?

Also, on a side note, I'll be using an 85" TV as opposed to a projector. Not sure if that matters.

I had been considering a fiber panel ceiling up until discovering this thread. The best I could find on fiber panels to cover my 8 x 12 area was $2400 delivered to my door. The cost is high so when I saw this option I'm definitely interested.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page