Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 94Likes
post #1111 of 1123 Unread 01-22-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Ok, stars ceiling is done. Here's a few pics along the way.

First the only lights I could find that fit into the crown and didn't force me to donate all of my blood were from Slimflourescent.com.

Here's a shot showing how much room I have in the crown. I ripped up a 2x6 (basically quartered up a 2x2) to give me something solid to mount the crown to and to give the lights a flat place to sit.

Here's the crown installed and as you see the wedge gives a flat spot for the light to sit. The edge looks ragged but it's not.. that's just my paint overlapping the front edge.

Here's me testing out one of the lights. They come with a cover. I fired it up and was like...crap... these things suck.

Then I figured I'd remove the cover and BAM.. I guess the cover blocks UV light.

The lights sat a little low and was shadowed by the crown about 2 feet out. I needed a way to lift them. I looked down and had all of the covers I had ripped off all over the floor. They actually lift the light even with the crown and allow the UV to hit the center of the room with ease.

A few shots with my phone camera... It's hard to get a good shot.

There's a lot more stars than the pic shows... lots more. When Jeff says if you touched it and left even a small amount of paint ... it's enough... he's right. I wish I had used a black light while painting as in some places I didn't think it would show up so I got more paint on the tool but in reality it was fine.

Last edited by cdy2179; 01-22-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1123 Unread 01-23-2016, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Wow... that looks great! I love the look that you captured. Thanks!

SlimFluorescents are a good option, and once you get all lights working... I think they're fine.

YES... The covers need to be removed. I went back out to Virginia Beach because the customer just couldn't get his paint to charge up, and I had him try everything (and it was a large ceiling). So, after I drove out there and stood in the room for about 20 minutes to let my eyes adapt (he'd left the lights on for about 5 hours at this point), I had him shut off the lights... and nothing. Actually we could see many 50 stars. I was just about to start painting the ceiling again when I took a look in the soffit, at the lights. Yep, covers were on. Why hadn't I thought of that sooner!??? Took the covers off and "POOF" the ceiling charged up in like 5 minutes. We were BOTH very happy!

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!!!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post

First the only lights I could find that fit into the crown and didn't force me to donate all of my blood were from Slimflourescent.com.

Here's a shot showing how much room I have in the crown. I ripped up a 2x6 (basically quartered up a 2x2) to give me something solid to mount the crown to and to give the lights a flat place to sit.

Here's the crown installed and as you see the wedge gives a flat spot for the light to sit. The edge looks ragged but it's not.. that's just my paint overlapping the front edge.

Here's me testing out one of the lights. They come with a cover. I fired it up and was like...crap... these things suck.

Then I figured I'd remove the cover and BAM.. I guess the cover blocks UV light.

The lights sat a little low and was shadowed by the crown about 2 feet out. I needed a way to lift them. I looked down and had all of the covers I had ripped off all over the floor. They actually lift the light even with the crown and allow the UV to hit the center of the room with ease.

There's a lot more stars than the pic shows... lots more. When Jeff says if you touched it and left even a small amount of paint ... it's enough... he's right. I wish I had used a black light while painting as in some places I didn't think it would show up so I got more paint on the tool but in reality it was fine.
post #1113 of 1123 Unread 01-29-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

Thanks Jeff.

Those are all with my phone.

I took some pics with my DSLR including some with blacklights on and off without moving the camera between shots for comparison. I need to clean them up a little and post them.

I have to say the ceiling really puts the icing on the cake.

I was watching "the Universe" and saw this now I'm thinking of mimicking this on the ceiling. The paint is bluish after all! Maybe a sponge?

Excuse the white "fake snow" we just started taking Christmas stuff down.

post #1114 of 1123 Unread 01-29-2016, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I find it strange how the "or Fiber optics" part never comes up here. Painted ceiling is differently cool, don't get me wrong. But wish their was more posts on optical star fields people have done. Both definitely have Pros and Cons.
post #1115 of 1123 Unread 01-29-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
I find it strange how the "or Fiber optics" part never comes up here. Painted ceiling is differently cool, don't get me wrong. But wish their was more posts on optical star fields people have done. Both definitely have Pros and Cons.
I think that was touched on at the beginning of the thread. This IMO both look great, this is easier, but of course fiber doesn't need to charge and doesn't lose it's glow after 30 minutes. The blacks light being on and lighting it up has a totally different feel to it. I guess it's which ever you prefer. This method is much more flexible and the possibility of adding galaxies etc make it attractive.
gamest likes this.
post #1116 of 1123 Unread 01-29-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I think that was touched on at the beginning of the thread. This IMO both look great, this is easier, but of course fiber doesn't need to charge and doesn't lose it's glow after 30 minutes. The blacks light being on and lighting it up has a totally different feel to it. I guess it's which ever you prefer. This method is much more flexible and the possibility of adding galaxies etc make it attractive.
Yeah, I completely understand, and I am just amazed that it seems to be that more go with painted star ceiling. We never see anyone posting here their amazing optical star field.
post #1117 of 1123 Unread 01-29-2016, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamest View Post
Yeah, I completely understand, and I am just amazed that it seems to be that more go with painted star ceiling. We never see anyone posting here their amazing optical star field.
Yea... I think this has much more WOW factor. I have seen several nice fiber systems and I would be happy to have that in my HT. The best I can put it with the black lights and everything it's almost like artwork... heck some of Jeff's work where he goes all out is art. When the black lights are off it's more in line with fiber as you loose the cool effect having the lights on gives.
gamest likes this.
post #1118 of 1123 Unread 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Yea... I think this has much more WOW factor. I have seen several nice fiber systems and I would be happy to have that in my HT. The best I can put it with the black lights and everything it's almost like artwork... heck some of Jeff's work where he goes all out is art. When the black lights are off it's more in line with fiber as you loose the cool effect having the lights on gives.
You are right, it is defiantly art. I wish the optical method could produce the Milky Way effect that I soooooo love on some of these murals. I am an Astrophysicist and would kill to have the Carina Nebula(we study its massive star formation a lot and I can stare at it for hours) on my ceiling false color of course,

cdy2179 likes this.
post #1119 of 1123 Unread 02-02-2016, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post

SlimFluorescents are a good option, and once you get all lights working... I think they're fine.

YES... The covers need to be removed. I went back out to Virginia Beach because the customer just couldn't get his paint to charge up, and I had him try everything (and it was a large ceiling). So, after I drove out there and stood in the room for about 20 minutes to let my eyes adapt (he'd left the lights on for about 5 hours at this point), I had him shut off the lights... and nothing. Actually we could see many 50 stars. I was just about to start painting the ceiling again when I took a look in the soffit, at the lights. Yep, covers were on. Why hadn't I thought of that sooner!??? Took the covers off and "POOF" the ceiling charged up in like 5 minutes. We were BOTH very happy!

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!!!

Jeff
so awesome! can you tell me a few things about your amazing ceiling?
whats the approximate dimensions of your ceiling and what color did you paint it? Im just getting started on my stars and want to make sure that I dont stretch the lights too thin. Plus my ceiling is a light grey and during movies, I wish it were darker (I want to get the same awesome results you have, but just curious about the performance trade off).

Thanks for sharing the super photos!!
post #1120 of 1123 Unread 02-02-2016, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

oops, meant to quote Cdy

whats the approximate dimensions of your ceiling and what color did you paint it? Im just getting started on my stars and want to make sure that I dont stretch the lights too thin. Plus my ceiling is a light grey and during movies, I wish it were darker (I want to get the same awesome results you have, but just curious about the performance trade off).

post #1121 of 1123 Unread 02-02-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBabs View Post
oops, meant to quote Cdy

Thanks a bunch.

This is my 2nd HT with a black ceiling. Dark colors are must IMO so the room can disappear. But hey it's easy to fix light grey... paint it... The room is after the baffle wall is 20x16.. of course I have a trey boxed area that has the mural... probably 14x19. I also put stars on the vertical sides of the boxed area to extend the stars more all the way into the crown which holds the lights. I put as many lights as I can fit as having them on has a really awesome look and you can see where the small gaps are between lights.. the lights are by far the biggest expense if you want a continuous look.

The color I think was Aqua but it's one of Jeff's kits. I highly recommend it. I used about half an once on my ceiling. Sure you can just dab paint but it's a lot of work and hard as hell to keep spacing looking realistic and not have too many here and not enough there and the more you go back and fix spots the more you can screw it up. The kit has stencils and you dab where the holes are and you're assured it will look professional and realistic. It also comes with Constellations which are done differently than the background stars. I could see myself trying to freehand it I could easily have screwed it up and had to repaint black and redoing stuff to fix it.
post #1122 of 1123 Unread Today, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Glow Paint color

Yep, I put Aqua into the kit, and it's the same paint that I use when I paint... no difference. I also have blue paint for those who really want it, but I don't use it much. The blue paint doesn't glow as brightly as the Aqua so that is pretty much the main reason. I will add a few stars, at times, with the blue paint, and sometimes will paint a shooting star with it... but I usually do pretty much all of the mural stars, Milky Way and shooting stars in Aqua. It works out well, mainly because of the different sizes of the stars and the way things are varied. But, again, I have blue and other colors are available on the Internet... but I wouldn't suggest using any other colors (personal preference).

Jeff

Quote:
Thanks a bunch.

The color I think was Aqua but it's one of Jeff's kits. I highly recommend it. I used about half an once on my ceiling. Sure you can just dab paint but it's a lot of work and hard as hell to keep spacing looking realistic and not have too many here and not enough there and the more you go back and fix spots the more you can screw it up. The kit has stencils and you dab where the holes are and you're assured it will look professional and realistic. It also comes with Constellations which are done differently than the background stars. I could see myself trying to freehand it I could easily have screwed it up and had to repaint black and redoing stuff to fix it.
post #1123 of 1123 Unread Today, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Is there a recommended ceiling color (white, black, or gray) before using the stencil? Is the end effect the same regardless of ceiling color?

"I'm not happy unless it costs twice as much and requires three times the work."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction