Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

Old 06-30-2016, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 40
First of all, thanks to everyone who has been answering the questions lately! I just got back from flying around the country, painting, and it's really nice to have lots of the questions already answered. And, I think it's better, most of the time, to come from other people who have experienced some of the same problems.

So, I just need to get clarification before I can answer your question. Are you saying that you only have one inch of an opening between the ceiling and the top of your soffit? If that's the case, I don't think that tube lights, or strip lights will be of any help to you. You will want to go a different route and get either a light source that can shine up from the floor, or maybe some cannon lights that can hang down from the ceiling and flood the ceiling with light.

Now, if I am not understanding your question... please let me know and I will try to answer again.

But, as for any progress that has been made on the light strips... I have sent a sample strip, that I got from a customer who was using some that seemed to work great in their dome room, to China for them to test. I have the results and they are shipping me a sample of some new lights that match the strip that I sent to them. I will test them as soon as they arrive and will let everyone know. They will hopefully arrive version. I am anxious to find something that really works!!!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
Hey Jeff, did you ever get any further with testing the blacklight strips? Thanks to some unplanned design changes needed, I now only have about an inch of space on the light tray, so strip lights will probably be the only option outside of something sitting on the floor or the like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
So, I just need to get clarification before I can answer your question. Are you saying that you only have one inch of an opening between the ceiling and the top of your soffit? If that's the case, I don't think that tube lights, or strip lights will be of any help to you. You will want to go a different route and get either a light source that can shine up from the floor, or maybe some cannon lights that can hang down from the ceiling and flood the ceiling with light.

Now, if I am not understanding your question... please let me know and I will try to answer again.
The soffit hangs about 8 inches from the ceiling. The 1 inch is referring to the tray space I have to put any lights on. My idea is to use LED light strips which are only about 10mm wide, so should fit. And I might be able to change the angle a bit to aim more at the ceiling center.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, now I understand... thanks!

Yeah, I'm thinking that the strip LED lights are pretty much your only choice for charging lights in your soffit. You can probably get some RGB ropes in there too. That'd be nice!

You'll probably want to think about getting another light, in addition, so that you can hit the center area. See how it goes with the strip lights first, then experiment.

I just checked... and the new sample lights just hit customs in Cincinnati and should be here this week (fingers are crossed). When I sent my lights to China for testing... they were only in customs for less than a day. I'm hoping for something similar here.

I should have more info soon.

Jeff

Quote:
The soffit hangs about 8 inches from the ceiling. The 1 inch is referring to the tray space I have to put any lights on. My idea is to use LED light strips which are only about 10mm wide, so should fit. And I might be able to change the angle a bit to aim more at the ceiling center.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, now I understand... thanks!

Yeah, I'm thinking that the strip LED lights are pretty much your only choice for charging lights in your soffit. You can probably get some RGB ropes in there too. That'd be nice!

You'll probably want to think about getting another light, in addition, so that you can hit the center area. See how it goes with the strip lights first, then experiment.

I just checked... and the new sample lights just hit customs in Cincinnati and should be here this week (fingers are crossed). When I sent my lights to China for testing... they were only in customs for less than a day. I'm hoping for something similar here.

I should have more info soon.

Jeff
My goal is to have an RGB strip plus the blacklight strip, both controlled from a Fibaro z-wave module. I do have a couple fluorescent tubes that I can bring in for times when I want to super charge the paint for guests and the like, but the room design doesn't allow a good way to mount them, so they'll be more of an on-demand kind of thing. If the strips put out some decent enough juice, I'm thinking they'll work for day to day (or if I get really I don't even need the other tubes).

Old 07-07-2016, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nice... that should work. Well, I tried the new strip out, I plugged it in and it worked for a quick test (worked nicely), but when I got a couple jars of paint (one to test the old light strip and one to test the new one)... the strip stopped working. I'm not sure if the connection is just bad, or what. I'm really hoping that the company has a solution for me.

And, yeah, I'd probably keep a light nearby. What I am seeing a lot of, lately, is soffits that are pretty close to the ceiling... and after the charging lights are turned off, the area right above the soffits are supercharged, while the center doesn't look charged at all. It is charged, but since the edges are so bright, it just makes the center look not so charged up. But, after 10 minutes, or so, the ceiling usually will even out and look nice. So, to have it all look even at the same time... the light for the center would be really important. But, if you can wait... then you might be OK.

Jeff

Quote:
My goal is to have an RGB strip plus the blacklight strip, both controlled from a Fibaro z-wave module. I do have a couple fluorescent tubes that I can bring in for times when I want to super charge the paint for guests and the like, but the room design doesn't allow a good way to mount them, so they'll be more of an on-demand kind of thing. If the strips put out some decent enough juice, I'm thinking they'll work for day to day (or if I get really I don't even need the other tubes).
Old 07-07-2016, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Moebius... here's an update from my last reply to you.

Yep... the company was able to help me get the light thing figured out. I was my fault... I was using a 12v power source instead of a 24v. So, now I can get back to testing.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Moebius... here's an update from my last reply to you.

Yep... the company was able to help me get the light thing figured out. I was my fault... I was using a 12v power source instead of a 24v. So, now I can get back to testing.
Good to see they're responsive at least. Here's hoping the lights work well.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

So on the topic of non-soffit based light sources... Jeff, do you - or does anyone else for that matter - have a recommendation of a good "light canon" to use from a floor position? I'd love to find an LED based one, but the only thing I've found close to the 365nm desired wavelength was close to 3 grand, so that's not happening.

I got a cheapo blacklight fluorescent fixture from Walmart just to help while painting the background stars this week, and it actually does charge it up, but only at pretty close range and not for very long.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How high is your ceiling, and what is the size of the black light that you have? I take an 18" black light with me, when I travel, and I can set it on the floor for 15 minutes, or so... and it does a good job at charging up the paint. But, yeah, when I put my jar of paint right up to the light... it charges it fast and furious.

I was just wondering if something could be made with these black light strips... like taking 10, 12" strips and building a little box for them to go into (I had one customer make a table for a black light. The top could be removed and the light turned on when needed. That could also be done with a cannon light as well. Here's a link to a cannon light that I think would work great. http://www.blacklight.com/items/ADJUVCANON

Oh, and this company that has been helping me find lights that will work for me has sent some special lights that they found, that aren't even 365nm lights... and they work as well, or better, than the 365nm strip lights that I have. I still don't know how that is possible, but the lights are working well. It's just a little difficult to judge how a room full of lights will work since I am testing a 10" strip. But, I like what I've seen so far.

Jeff

Quote:
So on the topic of non-soffit based light sources... Jeff, do you - or does anyone else for that matter - have a recommendation of a good "light canon" to use from a floor position? I'd love to find an LED based one, but the only thing I've found close to the 365nm desired wavelength was close to 3 grand, so that's not happening.

I got a cheapo blacklight fluorescent fixture from Walmart just to help while painting the background stars this week, and it actually does charge it up, but only at pretty close range and not for very long.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

8' ceilings. The cheapie I got from Walmart I think is 18", but low power too.

I've seen that American DJ one around, wasn't sure if it was good uv or not.

Still thinking the strips have a chance if they're bright.

Quote:
How high is your ceiling, and what is the size of the black light that you have? I take an 18" black light with me, when I travel, and I can set it on the floor for 15 minutes, or so... and it does a good job at charging up the paint. But, yeah, when I put my jar of paint right up to the light... it charges it fast and furious.

I was just wondering if something could be made with these black light strips... like taking 10, 12" strips and building a little box for them to go into (I had one customer make a table for a black light. The top could be removed and the light turned on when needed. That could also be done with a cannon light as well. Here's a link to a cannon light that I think would work great. http://www.blacklight.com/items/ADJUVCANON

Oh, and this company that has been helping me find lights that will work for me has sent some special lights that they found, that aren't even 365nm lights... and they work as well, or better, than the 365nm strip lights that I have. I still don't know how that is possible, but the lights are working well. It's just a little difficult to judge how a room full of lights will work since I am testing a 10" strip. But, I like what I've seen so far.

Jeff

Old 07-09-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

So I finally got started on the background stars today (kept getting put off for different reasons, lazy being one of them), and gotta say... I don't envy your work, Jeff. It's not that it's difficult (not that my quality is even a tiny fraction of your work mind you), but it's laborious. Made worse in my case by the fact that I've got 2 ceiling fans, a projector mount, and 2 air vents to work with. But I have to say, even with the cheapie Walmart blacklight fixture, it looks utterly amazing. I'm trying not to get reckless, so it's taking about 25 minutes per sheet.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, American DJ seems to have some good lights. Pretty much any of the real black lights that I have seen would work great.

Glad that you are starting on the background stars... and yes, it can wear on your body. I have to get in and not stop until I finish, if at all possible. If I do stop my back and neck start to tighten up and it makes things even more difficult. But, don't push it... a little at a time will work fine. Better to take a few days than to have lots of back problems. I got home a week ago from a painting trip to a few states... and I'm still not recovered.

Jeff

Quote:
I've seen that American DJ one around, wasn't sure if it was good uv or not. Still thinking the strips have a chance if they're bright.

So I finally got started on the background stars today (kept getting put off for different reasons, lazy being one of them), and gotta say... I don't envy your work, Jeff. It's not that it's difficult (not that my quality is even a tiny fraction of your work mind you), but it's laborious. Made worse in my case by the fact that I've got 2 ceiling fans, a projector mount, and 2 air vents to work with. But I have to say, even with the cheapie Walmart blacklight fixture, it looks utterly amazing. I'm trying not to get reckless, so it's taking about 25 minutes per sheet.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought that I would add my star ceiling to this thread.
It consists of a black Fidelio velvet backing on 6mm MDF, with literally thousands of crystals/faceted mirror finish beads, attached via pins. I have used concealed perimeter strip LED lighting - the light of which, skims over the surface of the velvet ceiling, then is captured by the individual facets of the crystals. Never the same view from any different viewing position.
My star field is the Southern Hemisphere and the ceiling space covered is 4.4m x 5.8m.

Daylight:

No natural light - HT lighting on/perimeter LEDs on:

Very difficult to photograph with a basic camera, but I can vouch that it looks a lot better in real life
Old 07-12-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't even begin to imagine the level of effort pinning all those beads in. Looks amazing!

Old 07-12-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff
Question for you, Jeff. When you're playing around with the strips, can you try to get an idea for the distance at which the strips are effective? I'm still keeping an eye on this possibility while you're testing. In my case, while the soffit is close to the ceiling at 8", it's also a narrow ceiling, probably just shy of 6 feet across, so if they have a decent range, I may be able to come up with a tiny mount that would angle them towards the middle to get a better spread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement