Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #1201 of 1219 Old 08-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
I'm trying to remember your ceiling... but I think I may have done a few too many for my feeble brain to recall it (at least right now). But, I have been testing strip, LED lights that should work fine. I have two strips that I've tried in my office that should work in your area. My office soffit area is about 9x9, so the lights would fit. They did work in my ceiling, but just know that I am still testing lights out. Email me if you'd like to talk about getting one of these sets of lights.

Jeff

I emailed you. I was just about to order some others but I'll see what you got first since you tested them.

And I sent you some pics of my theater to job your memory, but you def did it and it was on acoustic fabric

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1219 Old 08-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post
I have this american DJ panel : https://www.amazon.com/American-Pane...american+dj+uv which I can verify works VERY well for charging my entire ceiling. I have blacklights in my soffit of course, but this can be put on the floor at an angle and hit almost the whole thing, and it has the right frequency. I'd classify it as a UV light cannon, but you wouldn't permanently mount it because it is pretty big.
Yes, I agree I also have the UV Panel, works very well and charges the whole ceiling (12x25) in a very short amount of time and it is 365nm. However as stated above, this thing is HEAVY and large, like 22"x30". I have been playing around with mounting options but no joy yet. Just laying it on the floor on an angle and hope no one puts a foot through it.
NightSkyMurals likes this.
post #1203 of 1219 Old 08-18-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Jeff,

My wife has decided to do our nursery room in a "space" (planet, stars etc) them. I mentioned you and showed some pictures and she is interested.

Have you ever used these products, the stencils, on a wall before? She wants to do a dark gray constellation wall behind the crib so I thought I'd check and see how feasible it was. Otherwise I will try to convince her to do the ceiling.

Thanks!

This is along the lines what she was thinking:

post #1204 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Figured I'd start in this thread and probably email Jeff as well. I'm thinking of trying to do a small galaxy style cluster on my ceiling, there's a pic where someone did it about 4 or 5 pages back if memory serves. They mentioned using a sponge and toothbrush, and I think maybe something else. I wanted to practice this a few times before I try it on the ceiling with the glow paint. Does anyone know of a "cheap" paint that has the same thick, paste-like texture that Jeff's paint has? Most of the stuff I find when looking around seems much thinner, so I'm fearing it wouldn't be a good practice material.

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.
post #1205 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
Figured I'd start in this thread and probably email Jeff as well. I'm thinking of trying to do a small galaxy style cluster on my ceiling, there's a pic where someone did it about 4 or 5 pages back if memory serves. They mentioned using a sponge and toothbrush, and I think maybe something else. I wanted to practice this a few times before I try it on the ceiling with the glow paint. Does anyone know of a "cheap" paint that has the same thick, paste-like texture that Jeff's paint has? Most of the stuff I find when looking around seems much thinner, so I'm fearing it wouldn't be a good practice material.
I did this in my build thread below. Post 140.
post #1206 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
I did this in my build thread below. Post 140.
Yep, that's the one. So I'm looking for some good paint to practice with that close to the same viscosity, so I don't waste the "good" stuff on my practice attempts. Even thinking about just trying to get some plain white toothpaste and thin it with water to see if I can get the right consistency. Basically, other than I want to go back and add a few more background stars in a couple gaps, I've got the ceiling looking pretty darn good, so I want to be sure I know exactly what I'm going to do before I try to add a galaxy or the like to it.

post #1207 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep, that's the one. So I'm looking for some good paint to practice with that close to the same viscosity, so I don't waste the "good" stuff on my practice attempts. Even thinking about just trying to get some plain white toothpaste and thin it with water to see if I can get the right consistency. Basically, other than I want to go back and add a few more background stars in a couple gaps, I've got the ceiling looking pretty darn good, so I want to be sure I know exactly what I'm going to do before I try to add a galaxy or the like to it.
I posted all of that info in my build thread. The link is below. Read around post 140.
post #1208 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I posted all of that info in my build thread. The link is below. Read around post 140.
I did. But I just noticed it's not till around post 240 that you talk about the paint you bought (and 246 where you link it). So did you use any paint from Night Sky Murals, or was everything you used from the glow mania thing?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the answer in there now.

Last edited by Moebius; 08-24-2016 at 08:44 AM.
post #1209 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did. But I just noticed it's not till around post 240 that you talk about the paint you bought (and 246 where you link it). So did you use any paint from Night Sky Murals, or was everything you used from the glow mania thing?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the answer in there now.
Opps.. Yea meant to put 240 not 140.
post #1210 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Opps.. Yea meant to put 240 not 140.
Admit it, you just wanted me to read an extra 100 posts of your build thread (which I had read before anyway) ...

So as to topic, how did you layer with the sponge? Blue then lilac or the other way? Also, did you ever play with the toothbrush idea?
cdy2179 likes this.

post #1211 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Admit it, you just wanted me to read an extra 100 posts of your build thread (which I had read before anyway) ...

So as to topic, how did you layer with the sponge? Blue then lilac or the other way? Also, did you ever play with the toothbrush idea?
HaHa... I hate to discuss that here as it's kinda Jeff's thread. Ask on my build thread, it'll also keep all of the how to on my thread.
post #1212 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 127
How much will the paint show up on a neutral grey ceiling. It's a grey similar to a Kodak grey/18% card. I'm curious if the paint is likely to stand out substantially when I have regular lights on, or warm white or colored LED strip lights lighting up the ceiling, which tend to almost give it a translucent look (depending on the color used).
post #1213 of 1219 Old 08-24-2016, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

From my perspective, it only barely even shows up on my black ceiling, really only the constellation stars. I'd imagine it wouldn't show too much on gray.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #1214 of 1219 Old 08-25-2016, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt you'd notice on grey. I have it on black and on a white ceiling. On black you have to look for it. Except for the nebula... it's pretty easy to see but you still have to look for it .
post #1215 of 1219 Old 08-25-2016, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
How much will the paint show up on a neutral grey ceiling. It's a grey similar to a Kodak grey/18% card. I'm curious if the paint is likely to stand out substantially when I have regular lights on, or warm white or colored LED strip lights lighting up the ceiling, which tend to almost give it a translucent look (depending on the color used).
Mine is on a blue ceiling and you will see the dots of paint depending on what angle you are looking. If you look from the side with a window shining in or something your wall will look bumpy, especially where the constellations are. Does it really matter though when this is a special type of wall anyway? It doesn't change the color of the wall, just has translucent little dots.

James

My theater build 2015 (Circle N theater)
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #1216 of 1219 Old 08-25-2016, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Acoustically Transparent Star Ceiling

I have acoustic treatments planned for my ceiling and am still interested in a star ceiling. I have a 10' ceiling so plenty of space. I found one vendor (Kinetics) which supplies a product called Starcoustix SX which is fiber optic and AT, however, I can find no one that has used it. Does anyone have experience with this product or would it be possible for a painted AT ceiling?
post #1217 of 1219 Old 08-25-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
I have acoustic treatments planned for my ceiling and am still interested in a star ceiling. I have a 10' ceiling so plenty of space. I found one vendor (Kinetics) which supplies a product called Starcoustix SX which is fiber optic and AT, however, I can find no one that has used it. Does anyone have experience with this product or would it be possible for a painted AT ceiling?
Well of course. You can take black GOM or DMD install it on the ceiling using DIY panels etc. The Star paint is nothing more than dots of paint. They'll have minimal effect if any at all. The 1/4 wave of 20k is like .014 of an inch (say a star dot).. even a large constellation star at .2 of an inch would only effect 15k. So only frequencies above that would be reflected.. but only on those tiny spots and even then they hit a 3d sphere with a tail.. basically a tiny little 3d dispersion dot. So they're basically no effect at all.
post #1218 of 1219 Old 08-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Well of course. You can take black GOM or DMD install it on the ceiling using DIY panels etc. The Star paint is nothing more than dots of paint. They'll have minimal effect if any at all. The 1/4 wave of 20k is like .014 of an inch (say a star dot).. even a large constellation star at .2 of an inch would only effect 15k. So only frequencies above that would be reflected.. but only on those tiny spots and even then they hit a 3d sphere with a tail.. basically a tiny little 3d dispersion dot. So they're basically no effect at all.
No concern at all with the size of the dots from an acoustic perspective. If there is an issue, I believe it might be with trying to apply the paint on FR701 in a consistent way. If anyone has tried this, I would love to hear about it.
post #1219 of 1219 Old 08-26-2016, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
No concern at all with the size of the dots from an acoustic perspective. If there is an issue, I believe it might be with trying to apply the paint on FR701 in a consistent way. If anyone has tried this, I would love to hear about it.
I have!

Using a stencil would be difficult but free handing them is a piece of cake. It's paint and sticks to anything.

I put them on my volts Atmos speakers and the DMD fabric above my projector. I have absorption right above the projector to catch any projector noise reflecting back. The paint doesn't care what it's on.. it sticks fine.
mikela likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page