Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 111Likes

Old 11-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone tried using the LED UV lights from PC makers? I've seen a number of custom loop liquid cooled PC's that use UV LED strips and reactive coolant. I'm not sure if those strips put out the right nm wavelength.

Just something I thought of as I have gotten into custom PC builds.
NightSkyMurals likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
Hmmmm....

OK, help me out here. Are you asking if I have used a product as shown in the picture, or my product on a wall?

As for another product... I haven't. That looks pretty cool, though, and would be great behind a crib.

As for my product, yes, I have brought the stars down walls (usually only a foot to 2 or 3 feet). I have done two rooms where we brought the night sky all the way to the floor. That I would not recommend in a child's room. The illusion is so crazy that they'd be losing their balance at night and it wouldn't be pretty. But, you were asking about one wall... and I believe that you would like it painted to be seen in the light, if I understand the question. So, no, I haven't ever painted my product to be visible in the light. I'm not sure how it would look in the light, I think that different techniques would need to be used.

Sorry if I didn't understand your question and was way off in answering you!

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Jeff,

My wife has decided to do our nursery room in a "space" (planet, stars etc) them. I mentioned you and showed some pictures and she is interested.

Have you ever used these products, the stencils, on a wall before? She wants to do a dark gray constellation wall behind the crib so I thought I'd check and see how feasible it was. Otherwise I will try to convince her to do the ceiling.

Thanks!

If anyone recalls, I posted a few months back about doing a star wall in a nursery. Well I finally got around to it and figured I'd show how it turned out. Overall I am pleased.

I ordered some 8'x8' winter constellation stencils, but didn't care for the greenish glow pain included. I decided to order some paint from Jeff's and like the aqua color so much better! I used a white paint pen to get the stars then went over it with the glow paint, finishing by using a gold Sharpie marker to get the constellation lines.

1. First picture is the wall during the daylight.
  2. Second picture is the wall at night.
  3. And the last picture is a long exposure on my phone with the lights off.

Now I just need to find a good way of getting a fairly dim blacklight well concealed to help charge it. I was looking for a blacklight night light bulb for that little moon nightlight at the bottom, but cannot for the life of me find one.

NightSkyMurals likes this.

JVC DLA-RS600
Denon X4300H
2x Rythmik FV15HP
Energy Veritas Fronts and Surrounds
4x RSL C34E for Atmos
Old 11-29-2016, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
If anyone recalls, I posted a few months back about doing a star wall in a nursery. Well I finally got around to it and figured I'd show how it turned out. Overall I am pleased.

I ordered some 8'x8' winter constellation stencils, but didn't care for the greenish glow pain included. I decided to order some paint from Jeff's and like the aqua color so much better! I used a white paint pen to get the stars then went over it with the glow paint, finishing by using a gold Sharpie marker to get the constellation lines.

1. First picture is the wall during the daylight.
  2. Second picture is the wall at night.
  3. And the last picture is a long exposure on my phone with the lights off.

Now I just need to find a good way of getting a fairly dim blacklight well concealed to help charge it. I was looking for a blacklight night light bulb for that little moon nightlight at the bottom, but cannot for the life of me find one.

That turned out really nice! Well done!!!

Good luck finding a black light night light. For a black light to work, it will need to be fluorescent, and I have never seen a fluorescent night light. What about just getting a 2' black light that you can keep under the crib. Then, just pull it out when you want to charge the paint... then put it back under the crib after you finish? If you're holding the light close to the wall... it will take only a few minutes to give it a good charge.

Nice job!

Jeff
Old 11-29-2016, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
@NightSkyMurals ,

Any updates on the new 365nm LED strip lights you were testing?
Not lately. I kind of got burned out trying to get something that worked as well as the tube fluorescent lights. I ordered 4 sets of lights, after being promised that they would work really well. A couple sets of lights worked great, but still not like the tube fluorescent lights. I still have one set in my office and they work fine... just not quite what I'd feel good referring to people.

I'll try again soon.

Jeff
Old Yesterday, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Not lately. I kind of got burned out trying to get something that worked as well as the tube fluorescent lights. I ordered 4 sets of lights, after being promised that they would work really well. A couple sets of lights worked great, but still not like the tube fluorescent lights. I still have one set in my office and they work fine... just not quite what I'd feel good referring to people.

I'll try again soon.

Jeff
When you say the UV LEDs didn't work as well as UV fluorescents, do you mean they didn't charge up the murals as well, or they didn't have as much of the visible purple/blue spectrum as fluorescents? Without having seen any of this in person, I think I would prefer the more spectrally pure 365nm LEDs that put out hardly any visible light. That way while the stars are fluorescing, everything else would be less visible.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
These (or similar) are the strips I'm talking about: https://cablemod.com/product/cablemo...strip-30cm-uv/ these are used in PC building with reactive cables and coolant.

I couldn't find the wavelength but I'm sure you could ask them.
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

They look just like the other lights that I've tested. In fact, I'm finding that what they tell you the wavelength is, doesn't always mean anything. I sent two strips back to China to have tested (by a company who was really trying hard to find out what would work best for me... so they offered to test the lights that worked well)... and they both came back having tested at over 400nm, when they were promised that they were 365nm.

Anyway, I have just been too busy to keep testing lights out when there is a light that works very well. But, I plan to try more things out, and I may even take some of my paint over to China, to personally test a lot of different lights, if I go over to find some parts for my DIY stencil kits. In case anyone is wondering... I have tried sourcing parts here, but even the parts I try to find here are made over there. So, if I do take a trip there... I will plan on spending part of my time testing lights on my paint.

Until then, you can sure try out those lights, but I would suggest sticking with the regular, tube, black lights.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stcode2nd2 View Post
These (or similar) are the strips I'm talking about: https://cablemod.com/product/cablemo...strip-30cm-uv/ these are used in PC building with reactive cables and coolant.

I couldn't find the wavelength but I'm sure you could ask them.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I mead that they didn't charge as well. I would love to find some lights that don't let off much visible light... but the best lights I have found have been from WildFireFX.com. They seem to have less visible light than other black lights that I have seen... plus are powerful and very nice quality.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
When you say the UV LEDs didn't work as well as UV fluorescents, do you mean they didn't charge up the murals as well, or they didn't have as much of the visible purple/blue spectrum as fluorescents? Without having seen any of this in person, I think I would prefer the more spectrally pure 365nm LEDs that put out hardly any visible light. That way while the stars are fluorescing, everything else would be less visible.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
I mead that they didn't charge as well. I would love to find some lights that don't let off much visible light... but the best lights I have found have been from WildFireFX.com. They seem to have less visible light than other black lights that I have seen... plus are powerful and very nice quality.

Jeff
The new SableLED 365nm tubes from Wildfire look interesting. http://wildfirefx.com/products/lamps/sableled.html
Old Today, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Which product from Wildfire do you recommend most of your clients get? There seems to be so many variants to choose from.

Thanks,
Chad (the guy from Omaha you gave a recent quote to)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement