Star Ceilings... Painted or Fiber optics? - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 126Likes
post #1261 of 1276 Old 03-29-2017, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I wish I knew of someone. I was about to train someone over there, but they never followed through. I was also about to go over twice to paint, but those fell through too. I believe that there is another company over there somewhere, in Australia who paints similar ceilings... but since I know who they learned from, and I don't know if they've improved on what they were taught, I can't recommend them. But, I can look into options over there for you if you want to shoot me an email.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizza42 View Post
This looks amazing, can anybody recommend someone in Sydney, Australia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1276 Old 03-29-2017, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
That's a bummer, we're looking at your Stencil's now but Wifey and I are hardley Artisan's! How do you think the paint would go on a Polyester acoustic panel?
post #1263 of 1276 Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Don't give up yet... that is just what I found as far as painters over there a while ago. Maybe there is someone better these days. I'd be happy to look into it for you.

As for the stencils on a Polyester acoustic panel... I don't know why it wouldn't work. I've painted on everything.Some materials take a little longer than others, but they have all worked.

Shoot me an email if you'd like. I can try to see if there is anyone over there that I'd recommend, or maybe one of these days I can find someone to train.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizza42 View Post
That's a bummer, we're looking at your Stencil's now but Wifey and I are hardley Artisan's! How do you think the paint would go on a Polyester acoustic panel?

post #1264 of 1276 Old 03-30-2017, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyMurals View Post
I didn't know they went out of business. They seemed to be the best thing out there for Fiber optics. Too bad.

I was thinking that you could use the background star sheets that come in my DIY kit to place your fibers, but I think that there may have too many stars in each sheet. The sheets are 24 x 40 and have 250 stars in each sheet. I'm not sure how they would work with FO. I guess if you were to turn the lights down so they aren't so bright, it might work.

Other than that, you could pull up a picture of a real star field on your computer and then, in a drawing program, copy the locations, and density, of the stars that you want in your star field. Then, have the sheets printed on large sheets that you could then transfer to your ceiling.

I saw that someone was selling their stencil here on AVS, after they used it. Since you won't need any paint, you could probably pick it up cheep.

Good luck. Maybe someone else has some other options.

Jeff
Turns out the owner of FOSI retired at the end of the year. I'm still looking around for patterns - I'm surprised that most places just seem to say drill enough holes for X stars per square foot and thread the fiber-optic cables. The cables come in 3 diameters for different sized stars - I don't want to guess! The FOSI patterns looked like a perfect solution...
post #1265 of 1276 Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh my gosh, no!!! Please don't just drill holes anywhere, trying to make them look random. What I have found that when you try to make things look random (at least in painting), the pattern starts to look like a pegboard with everything evenly spaced and uniform.

You know, something that you might want to look into is the NightSky stencil, from Ursa Major. They are the stencil i used to recommend before I came out with mine. I think that it would be perfect for a Fiber Optic pattern. Their stencils have almost 400 holes for a 12' x 12' ceiling, where mine have 250 holes in a 24" x 40" sheet, or a little over 5000 stars for a 12' x 12' ceiling. The number of stars is quite different, and so are the finished murals... BUT, for a Fiber optic ceiling, I think they would be perfect.

You can see if they would work by checking out their site here. They are %0 on their website, plus shipping. Don't get it here...
https://www.ursamajorstencils.com/pr...nt=16791268103

They start at $35 here, plus shipping.
http://www.willygoat.com/catalogmult...me=Ursa_Major_

I wish that my stencils would help you out... but for your project, these would be much better.

Oh, they have constellations in their stencils, too, but they are smaller than normal. If you don't care about that... then just drill holes for your larger fibers wherever they have their larger, constellation holes.

I hope this helps...

Good luck!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Turns out the owner of FOSI retired at the end of the year. I'm still looking around for patterns - I'm surprised that most places just seem to say drill enough holes for X stars per square foot and thread the fiber-optic cables. The cables come in 3 diameters for different sized stars - I don't want to guess! The FOSI patterns looked like a perfect solution...
cdy2179 likes this.
post #1266 of 1276 Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks for the link. I just bought two from Convoy's Aliexpress store. We will see how they perform... Jeff, one is yours if you ever make it back down to San Antonio....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch View Post
Googling that part number I found a seller for a Convoy S2+ 365nm Nichia UV Waterproof LED Flashlight; http://www.********.com/led-flashlights/pp_277704.html

Wouldn't do a whole star field, but may come in handy where you might need a touch up in spots.
******** = gear best
Quote:
Thanks for this info! I just tested the sample lights that another company sent to me and I am very pleased with the first tests. But, I also sent Nichia an inquiry to see if I can get a sample from them as well to test.

Thanks again!

Jeff
post #1267 of 1276 Old 03-30-2017, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good, let us know how they work out.

It looks like I might be heading down to San Antonio/Austin fairly soon.

Oh, and I ran a second test on that string of LEDs that I just got to sample. Oh. My. Gosh!!!! A 4' strip worked as well as an American DJ panel light last night when I tested it in my bedroom. We have been using just 4 CFL lights under our ceiling fan to charge my mural... and I thought it was doing a great job. Well, last night I was blown away at the mural that popped out after I turned off the strip lights. My son and wife both commented that they hadn't seen the mural like that in years. So, I think that I have found a set that works. Now to see if I can get us a good deal.

But, please still let us know what you find out with your test strips.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaG View Post
Thanks for the link. I just bought two from Convoy's Aliexpress store. We will see how they perform... Jeff, one is yours if you ever make it back down to San Antonio....
post #1268 of 1276 Old 03-30-2017, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, so after testing these LED UV samples... I can report that WE HAVE SUCCESS!!!!!

Oh my gosh, these LEDs are amazing. If any of you have ever used an American DJ panel light (super powerful) to charge up your ceiling... well, a 4' test strip in my bedroom last night (with 12' ceilings) charged up my mural as well as that did. I was blown away.

I just talked with the supplier who told me that he will stock 24 volt lights for my customers, but that he has some 12V in stock now that he wants to sell out. He told me that he would sell it at a reduced price if anyone is interested. They don't take one-on-one customers, so I told him that I would take any requests and send them on.

So, here's the deal... he has 12v LED UV Black lights that he will sell for $9/foot (regularly $15-$24/ft retail), plus whatever the power supply cost would be (I just emailed him for that price).

I know that some of you were wanting to put LED lights in, so this would be a great deal. He only has about 200 feet of the 12v led lights, so please let me know if you want some, and I will pass it along. Oh, and I will probably be taking 40 feet of that strip, so there will be about 160 feet left.

I hope that it is OK to do this since I am not selling it, but passing along what a clearance price for my customers. (Someone please let me know if I should delete this).

Anyway, I am soooo excited that I have found someone who is in the USA, who has lights that work for the glow paint.
Boxozaxu and nandkisham like this.
post #1269 of 1276 Old 03-31-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Just got two Chinly 335 count, 3 diameter cable fiber optic star celing kits on Amazon. Price was great and the bundles are pre-terminated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3898_1490975968629.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2059665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3899_1490975980236.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2059673  
post #1270 of 1276 Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
OK, so after testing these LED UV samples... I can report that WE HAVE SUCCESS!!!!!

Oh my gosh, these LEDs are amazing. If any of you have ever used an American DJ panel light (super powerful) to charge up your ceiling... well, a 4' test strip in my bedroom last night (with 12' ceilings) charged up my mural as well as that did. I was blown away.

I just talked with the supplier who told me that he will stock 24 volt lights for my customers, but that he has some 12V in stock now that he wants to sell out. He told me that he would sell it at a reduced price if anyone is interested. They don't take one-on-one customers, so I told him that I would take any requests and send them on.

So, here's the deal... he has 12v LED UV Black lights that he will sell for $9/foot (regularly $15-$24/ft retail), plus whatever the power supply cost would be (I just emailed him for that price).

I know that some of you were wanting to put LED lights in, so this would be a great deal. He only has about 200 feet of the 12v led lights, so please let me know if you want some, and I will pass it along. Oh, and I will probably be taking 40 feet of that strip, so there will be about 160 feet left.

I hope that it is OK to do this since I am not selling it, but passing along what a clearance price for my customers. (Someone please let me know if I should delete this).

Anyway, I am soooo excited that I have found someone who is in the USA, who has lights that work for the glow paint.
depending on final price, I'd be interested in 60' or so.
post #1271 of 1276 Old 05-23-2017, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, let me see what we have left. I just got back from painting in the Cayman Islands (I know, it was tough!)... so I need to get back in touch with the company. I'll email, or message you.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsabre View Post
depending on final price, I'd be interested in 60' or so.
post #1272 of 1276 Old 05-24-2017, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I need some help. I am planning on installing a fiber-optic star ceiling in my theater similar to the White Oaks project. My room will have a coffered ceiling divided into 12 squares and I want to have a unique star pattern in each square.

Where do I get the star pattern?
I do not want there to be anything that stands out - no shooting stars, no patterns, no miniature constellations, etc. - ideally I'd like it to look like the plain night sky above my house. Anyway, I was going to use FOSI in NJ to create the patterns for me but they went out of business in December. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I also need to purchase the illuminator and the fiber-optic lines. I was going to reach out to StarCeiling123 but am also open to suggestions.

Thanks!!
Check my thread for how I got my star pattern.

The Vision Cinema
Quote:
I need some help. I am planning on installing a fiber-optic star ceiling in my theater similar to the White Oaks project. My room will have a coffered ceiling divided into 12 squares and I want to have a unique star pattern in each square.

Where do I get the star pattern?
I do not want there to be anything that stands out - no shooting stars, no patterns, no miniature constellations, etc. - ideally I'd like it to look like the plain night sky above my house. Anyway, I was going to use FOSI in NJ to create the patterns for me but they went out of business in December. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I also need to purchase the illuminator and the fiber-optic lines. I was going to reach out to StarCeiling123 but am also open to suggestions.

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
post #1273 of 1276 Old 06-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Oh my gosh, no!!! Please don't just drill holes anywhere, trying to make them look random. What I have found that when you try to make things look random (at least in painting), the pattern starts to look like a pegboard with everything evenly spaced and uniform.

You know, something that you might want to look into is the NightSky stencil, from Ursa Major. They are the stencil i used to recommend before I came out with mine. I think that it would be perfect for a Fiber Optic pattern. Their stencils have almost 400 holes for a 12' x 12' ceiling, where mine have 250 holes in a 24" x 40" sheet, or a little over 5000 stars for a 12' x 12' ceiling. The number of stars is quite different, and so are the finished murals... BUT, for a Fiber optic ceiling, I think they would be perfect.

You can see if they would work by checking out their site here. They are %0 on their website, plus shipping. Don't get it here...
https://www.ursamajorstencils.com/pr...nt=16791268103

They start at $35 here, plus shipping.
http://www.willygoat.com/catalogmult...me=Ursa_Major_

I wish that my stencils would help you out... but for your project, these would be much better.

Oh, they have constellations in their stencils, too, but they are smaller than normal. If you don't care about that... then just drill holes for your larger fibers wherever they have their larger, constellation holes.

I hope this helps...

Good luck!

Jeff
Hi Jeff... I will be installing ceiling panels wrapped in speaker cloth in my HT ( to avoid drywalling/ mudding/ black paint) Would you recommend priming/ sponging a white background ( softly) before directly sponging on glow in the dark galaxy art work? Or just go directly on the black speaker cloth? Im worried about the glow in the dark paint soaking in to the cloth and disappearing. If a primer sponging is needed, what would I use? Acrylic base?
post #1274 of 1276 Old 06-19-2017, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Hi Jeff... I will be installing ceiling panels wrapped in speaker cloth in my HT ( to avoid drywalling/ mudding/ black paint) Would you recommend priming/ sponging a white background ( softly) before directly sponging on glow in the dark galaxy art work? Or just go directly on the black speaker cloth? Im worried about the glow in the dark paint soaking in to the cloth and disappearing. If a primer sponging is needed, what would I use? Acrylic base?
OK... I was confused for a second. I thought you were asking about Fiber Optics, and then painting. I'm all straightened out now.

Well, the fabric will soak up some of the paint, but it depends on which paint brand your are using, and the thickness of it. Are you using one of my stencils, with my paint... or some other paint that you bought somewhere? The reason I ask is because I mix my paint to be fairly thick (not quite as thick as toothpaste, but close. So, if you are using my paint... you won't get as much soaking into the cloth and you can just put the stars right on the fabric. But, you are asking about galaxies too... so, I'd maybe try doing the galaxies on the fabric first, before painting with the white paint, and see what it looks like. Or, if you have a little extra cloth laying around, maybe you can do a test on it.

If it's my paint, you'll want to thin it down a little with water. Take some out of the jar and put it into a new container, or small bowl, then add water to thin it first. If it's paint from the Internet and thick, I would thin that too if it's water based. If it's already fairly runny, then try it straight out of the jar.

Not sure that helps much. If you have other questions about it... you can email me too.

Good luck.

Jeff
post #1275 of 1276 Old 06-22-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Hey Jeff,

Hope you are doing well. I am glad I haven't bought any black light yet and waited until your test results.. came out.
I might need some of that clearance LED strip lighting to charge my ceiling. I got the kit from you and painted it for my daughters room.
Please see attached picture for room layout. (13 X 11). There are stars on the flat and vaulted part of the ceiling as well. All the trays and bookshelves are yet to be built this summer.
I am keeping the tray roughly 16 inches with the trim.

Can you help me estimate the length of strip need and other accessories to light this beauty?

Regards,
NJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perspective for Black Light.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	2199257  

Fronts: RF-82 II
Center: RC-62II
Subs: 2 X R-112SW
Front Surrounds: 2 X RS-52II
Rear Surrounds: 2 X RB-61 II
ATMOS in ceiling: 4 X Klipsch CDT-5800-C II
post #1276 of 1276 Unread Today, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi NJ...

Yeah, and I'm happy to have found some lights that seem to work great. I have found that just because the lights say UV, or 365nm... doesn't mean that they will work for this paint. And, after testing countless types of lights, some working OK, and others not at all... these lights seem to be great. But, I am still waiting to hear back on pricing for the drivers (the power supplies). I have been dealing with the owner of the company, but he travels a lot... so I may have to see if there is someone else that I can speak with. I am still waiting to get some lights for my office as the last test, but the test that I did with a 3' strip was amazing... and charged my entire ceiling better than it's been charged in years.

From the looks of things... I'd say that you'll need about 46', but to make things easier for me to have time to be their go-between... they decided to make the lights into 20' lengths. So, you will probably want to get either 40' or go up to 60'. I may be able to cut the strips in half for people, because I doubt that many rooms will come out exactly to multiples of 20'. Anyway, let me see what happens when I finally get pricing.

Also, I believe that the clearance lights are all sold, but I am not going to charge much more than the wholesale price that they give me (just enough to cover someone having to box and ship them)... so I'l hoping that the pricing will be similar.

I'll write more once I know. And, if you want to email me... that might be a better place to discuss this.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandkisham View Post
Hey Jeff,

Hope you are doing well. I am glad I haven't bought any black light yet and waited until your test results.. came out.
I might need some of that clearance LED strip lighting to charge my ceiling. I got the kit from you and painted it for my daughters room.
Please see attached picture for room layout. (13 X 11). There are stars on the flat and vaulted part of the ceiling as well. All the trays and bookshelves are yet to be built this summer.
I am keeping the tray roughly 16 inches with the trim.

Can you help me estimate the length of strip need and other accessories to light this beauty?

Regards,
NJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction