"Xzener's Dedicated Theater" Construction Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 322 Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I hung the screen in a more permanent position today, in order to get a better feel for how the projector needs to be rehung. Here are a couple pics...

As you can (hardly) tell, the projected image isn't square, the PJ needs to be dropped about a foot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 322 Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I dropped the PJ down to where it should hang. Although its sits very close to the wall. I was able to find a 90 degree power cable for it, I had to order a 90 degree HDMI adapter... The cable presses against the wall, not allowing the projected image to come far enough down on the screen. The adapter will be in tomorrow, I'll post an updated screenie when installed.

I have also hired a guy to paint my mural ceiling (payment being my old 120" electric screen). I've asked him to paint clouds around my ceiling, will be adding glow-in-the-dark stars with black lights in the soffit eventually. Similar to this...

post #63 of 322 Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is an awesome looking ceiling, I may have to, ahem, borrow that.
post #64 of 322 Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedubbadoo View Post

That is an awesome looking ceiling, I may have to, ahem, borrow that.

Well, its not mine (I technically stole it too). Its just the mural I will have painted on my ceiling.
post #65 of 322 Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Well, its not mine (I technically stole it too). Its just the mural I will have painted on my ceiling.

It just looks awesome with the black light, especially that you can still see the clouds. Your airbrush guy did a damn good job!
post #66 of 322 Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Liked: 11
Here's a couple better pics for ya. I'm happy I have stuff to borrow. Makes me feel good. Can't wait to see yours! I love this stuff. Jeff does a great job painting stars. I think if you do it yourself, he can sell ya the paint he uses.

Hopefully, by the end if this week I can post pics of the completed ceiling when I have all the blacklights up.
LL
LL

"Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."
Ronnie
XBL Tag: HKK Lawdog2k
Webshot pictures
Flikr pictures
Click here to see my DVD's
post #67 of 322 Old 09-21-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank goodness... Lawdog2K, people were starting to think this was my ceiling... I was trying to tell them it wasn't mine.

The work you and NightSkyMurals did is AMAZING!!!! I have an artistic buddy who will be airbrushing my sky mural. We will add the stars after its complete. I will also be installing black lights in my soffit. Can't wait to see the end results... Anything close to yours will be fantastic.
post #68 of 322 Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With help from Ikea, I've gone a different route with my final front of the theater design... Here is a pic of what the end result will look like in the end. Minus the soffit and stage, this is the look I'm gonna end up going with.

Two TV stand cadenzas side by side (spanning the length of the screen) with two tall/narrow book cases on either side, What do you guys think??
post #69 of 322 Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A quick update on my theater room. The soffit is coming along nicely. Its all framed out and ready for sheet rock. I was planing on using 1/4" sheet rock to keep it light, but I'm convinced this thing is sturdy enough for 5/8".

I have my sights on pot lights and rope lighting, I'll keep you posted.

post #70 of 322 Old 12-18-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm planning on starting the drywall on the soffit today. I have a couple questions...

What is the best way to tape and mud new drywall with existing drywall??

When I took out my chandelier, I cut back the existing drywalls paper back giving me room to tape and mud. Should I do this around the soffit too?? The areas marked in red in the picture show the areas I would cut and strip down to paper, giving me room to tape and mud. Would this be the correct way to do this??

Or, should I just tape and mud over the existing texture and paint??
post #71 of 322 Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?? I know this is DIY, but a couple hints and tips dont hurt.
post #72 of 322 Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Not in my theater room but in another bed room I just finish I went back and redid some muddying to smooth some sections out. It was already painted. I just spread the mud on and sanded. Didn't cause any issues. After repainting you can't tell at all. You could just sand a little and tape as normal. Shouldn't be a problem.

You know you can use MDF on your soffits? Or other wood if you like. I built mine in 1/2 MDF after framing them like you did. If your room walls are already done I would avoid the mud, tape, sanding rout if it was me. It is such a pain in the arse!
post #73 of 322 Old 12-18-2010, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a quick mockup I did tonight, it turned out looking very good IMO. Please give me some criticism, do you like it, would you use MDF instead??

post #74 of 322 Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Here is a quick mockup I did tonight, it turned out looking very good IMO. Please give me some criticism, do you like it, would you use MDF instead??

That looks great. I am going to have to redo my soffit molding. I want to do a star field on my ceiling now and need to hide the black lights. Looking forward to seeing your completed soffit.
post #75 of 322 Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks edmove,

I've been chatting back and forth with NightSkyMurals. He has convinced me that a glow-in-the-dark star mural will look great in my room. With my artistic abilities, and my friends airbrush experience, I think my mural should turn out great.

I hope to have my soffit near completion before I go back to the boat, Uncle Sam is calling me out again. But being so close to Christmas, my money is being spent on presents instead of toys... for me. I asked Santa for a brad nailer.

Thanks for your comments.
post #76 of 322 Old 12-18-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks edmove,

I've been chatting back and forth with NightSkyMurals. He has convinced me that a glow-in-the-dark star mural will look great in my room. With my artistic abilities, and my friends airbrush experience, I think my mural should turn out great.

I hope to have my soffit near completion before I go back to the boat, Uncle Sam is calling me out again. But being so close to Christmas, my money is being spent on presents instead of toys... for me. I asked Santa for a brad nailer.

Thanks for your comments.

Spent 4 years as a 82nd Paratrooper myself. Got out in 91. Never did the reserve or guard afterwards. But many friends did and deployed today.

I have talked to NightSkyMurals as well. I will DIY it myself but it will probably be the last thing I do.

Stay safe when you head back out on the boat.
post #77 of 322 Old 12-19-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your service! I've been in almost 10 years now. Boy how the time flies.

Anyone else have any incite/pointers before I drop the dime on this thing??
post #78 of 322 Old 12-19-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

How is the crown molding held in place? Is there a brace or gusset behind it attached to the top of the piece of drywall in some way?

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #79 of 322 Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As you can see in the pcture, just to the left of the mockup, the 2X2. The crown moulding will be nailed in every 16 inches. The moulding is a foam form, very light weight. I think it will be ok without a gusset, what do you think??

I have a sheet of 1/4 inch masonite, I could lay that down across the 2X2, giving my a brace/gusset that could be glued in place. That would give me a place to install rope/black lighting too.
post #80 of 322 Old 12-20-2010, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking good!

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #81 of 322 Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:

I'm planning on starting the drywall on the soffit today. I have a couple questions...

What is the best way to tape and mud new drywall with existing drywall??

When I took out my chandelier, I cut back the existing drywalls paper back giving me room to tape and mud. Should I do this around the soffit too?? The areas marked in red in the picture show the areas I would cut and strip down to paper, giving me room to tape and mud. Would this be the correct way to do this??

Or, should I just tape and mud over the existing texture and paint??

You do not need to strip down any paper with paint on it, but if the ceiling is textured you should scrape it down and sand it a bit so when you mud the seam, it is semi flat, then you can reapply the texture back as needed.

As for the crown, if you are using a brad nailer, I would use some reinforcement on the back of the crown in the form of one of those 2x2's you have. Brad nailers rock for wood trim and dont pull out, but the foam, it can come loose. Granted, with the corners of the room supporting each othere where the crown meets, you just need to worry about the long runs in between.

btw..I love how you made the soffit, very functional!
post #82 of 322 Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Casperinmd,

I plan on reinforcing the crown molding, that's a good point. Even though the foam form molding is light weight, I suppose it is possible to sag over time. I will add to my mockup showing how I plan to accomplish this.

Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

Looking good!

Thanks YamahaSHO!!
post #83 of 322 Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

As you can see in the pcture, just to the left of the mockup, the 2X2. The crown moulding will be nailed in every 16 inches. The moulding is a foam form, very light weight. I think it will be ok without a gusset, what do you think??

I have a sheet of 1/4 inch masonite, I could lay that down across the 2X2, giving my a brace/gusset that could be glued in place. That would give me a place to install rope/black lighting too.

Actually, if it were made of wood, it might be okay. But foam, ehhhhh, not so much.

I'd maybe throw another 2x2 across the tops of all those protruding 2x2s and really get some backing behind that crown. As it is, it could either sag down between the supports, or those brads could push too far through the foam and end up not providing any support at all.

--Drew

My basement theater build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243820

Started: 2/20/10
Completed: 10/10/10
post #84 of 322 Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your opinion Drew_V, but I'm sure the foam molding will be fine. It's very light weight, and the way its made leaves no room for sagging. I have yet to commit to my mockup, just throwing it together to get some opinions and pointers.
post #85 of 322 Old 12-21-2010, 06:50 PM

FWIW, this framing is similar to how I did my soffit in my basement and the I had drywall crew hang and they just finished. This is not the ideal way for framing as it doesn't provide a consistent edge for the corner bead at the bottom for the finished product. My work wasn't perfect and I had edges that ran over 20'...this showed the 'waves' when the corner bead was put on....we'll see how the crew finishes to hide my framing sins. bottom line, I had to reinforce the braces as they had 'twist and play'. When I get to my theater, I will change the way I frame the soffit.
Mike

Mike
Started the build...Theater With A View
post #86 of 322 Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I plan to use my laser level to ensure the edges are square. Mine are only about 11' long so it should turn out ok in the end. The crown molding will hide my imperfections nicely.

I plan on building another mockup this weekend. Need to brace that crown molding better.

Thanks for your inputs... Please feel free to post more ideas and pointers, its helping a lot.
post #87 of 322 Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is another mockup of my soffit. I still plan on using a different method of installing the crown moulding (reinforced) . This picture shows the pot light I will end up using in the finished product. I really like how the bulb is recessed as opposed to the earlier light used in the pictures above.

post #88 of 322 Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Where is a good website to by a Luton Grafik Eye 3 Zone Dimmer?? I see all you guys using them, but have yet to find a good place to shop for them.
post #89 of 322 Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a new and improved mockup with crown molding support. What do you guys think?? I'm only hours away from kicking off the soffit sheet rock installation. Input would be great! I'm going to use bull nose corner bead around the edge.

Please give me some feedback.

Thanks
post #90 of 322 Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

how about covering your sofits in fabric on the bottom and making them good use for a bass trap?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page