"Xzener's Dedicated Theater" Construction Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 322 Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
UUGGHHH!!! I hate the trim color. I liked it better when it was white?!?!

Do you guys have a suggestion?? Should I go darker... Black... White??? Looking at it now... I should have stayed white, what do you guys think??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 322 Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Black looks good with darker walls, I think white would be better in your case - or maybe even a satin / semi-gloss of the same color as the wall.
post #153 of 322 Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Im gonna go ahead and reprime. I may end up sticking with a semi gloss white. Not sure at this point.
post #154 of 322 Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally, construction is finished on the soffit. The 1/4" masonite is lining the soffit, ready for rope and black lights.

I've watched a few videos on painting clouds with a brush. Seems rather easy. With my artistic background, I trust myself to do a good job. I received the glow-in-the-dark paint (pigmented with flourescence) from Jeff (AKA NightSkyMurals). Have to finish painting clouds before I can attempt the star mural, not to mention I havent received the stencil yet. Oh well, that gives me time to repaint my trim.

The Berkline Tangiers are being delivered tomorrow too... Very excited.

Pics coming very soon I promise.
post #155 of 322 Old 03-29-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Question: Can you trim rope light??

I bought to long of rope light, is there a way to trim it safely without risk of shorting?? (120v) I've read the instructions and it says not to cut it, but Google says otherwise. Have any of you done it??
post #156 of 322 Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I went against the packaging instructions and trimmed the rope light. I tested it at first and cut a foot off the end... IT WORKED!! So I trimmed it down so I could hide about 6 inches inside a hole in the soffit. I plugged up the trimmed end with a little silicone and am waiting for it to dry.

Received the star mural stencil (recommended by NightSkyMurals) and am ready to start the mural.

I bought some supplies at Lowes today, UV resistant flat and semigloss exterior paint. The flat is for the clouds, and the semigloss is for the trim. Also bought a black light to help paint the mural, recommended to assure each star is painted on the mural.

I primed all the trim, and since its about the same color as the end result... I've decided to show you guys some pics...

Here is a pic of the sky blue ceiling...

Here is a pic of the screen wall...

Here is a pic of the projector mounted...

Here is a pic of the soffit above the screen...

Here is a pic of the worst crown molding junction, it still came out great IMO, hardly noticeable...

And lastly, a pic of the rope light completed...

Hope you guys are liking it so far, dont hesitate to leave feedback.
post #157 of 322 Old 03-30-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looking forward to seeing your results - I'm wavering on my decision to to a fiber optic ceiling. I may end up going the painted route also. It looks like the painted ceilings have some advantages.

The one area I am concerned with is that I think it would be nice sometimes to have the stars visible in a well lit room.
post #158 of 322 Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I pointed the black light at the paint I have... it glows really bright in a well lit room. I plan on lining my entire soffit with black lights... they will be visable for sure.
post #159 of 322 Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The soffit and crown molding turned out really nice. Great job!
post #160 of 322 Old 03-30-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jon_B,

Crown molding is no easy task. By far the hardest part of the build. I'm really pleased how it turned out. Even the bad junction (which in all actuality was caused by the wall not being straight) turned out great.
post #161 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
A little late to this thread, glad I found it...nice job and cant wait to see it finished.
post #162 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, what do you guys think?? Am I ready for the star mural??

post #163 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Nice job, that really turned out great!
post #164 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I cant believe how quickly you are making progress!!! I feel like such a slacker reading your thread. Unfortunately some other projects sidelined the theatre a bit. But seeing your work is motivating me to finish up the last bit of painting and trim! Good job!
post #165 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That looks awesome! Very nicely done!
post #166 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys... I will be starting the star mural probably tomorrow... Ok, yeah... tomorrow. The stencil is large enough to cover the ceiling and the upper soffit walls. That should add to the realism, might even look like the roof is gone. Can't wait to see the final product.

Oh, almost forgot... Berkline 13175's!! Now before anyone says "Why are they blocking the double doors?" The doors will be rehung (eventually) to swing open into the living room. A custom built bar will be behind the berklines, allowing more visitors to watch, sitting on bar stools.

post #167 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I cant wait to see the star mural although I have no idea what you are going to do...but it sounds like its gonna be awesome...(pssst....I am kind of confused as you just put in the sky mural...what are you gonna do? )
post #168 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I cant wait to see the star mural although I have no idea what you are going to do...but it sounds like its gonna be awesome...(pssst....I am kind of confused as you just put in the sky mural...what are you gonna do? )

Sky mural for the day, night-sky mural for... you guessed it, the morning! Wait, or is it the afternoon? Now *I'm* getting confused too!
post #169 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukFilm View Post

Sky mural for the day, night-sky mural for... you guessed it, the morning! Wait, or is it the afternoon? Now *I'm* getting confused too!

So there is some sort of sliding masking system that at the push of a button, one mask slides over the next mask.

I cant wait to see this turn out.

Oh, and those Berklines look sweet (I hear they are going out of business )
post #170 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

So there is some sort of sliding masking system that at the push of a button, one mask slides over the next mask.

No, the stars are invisible when the light is on. When the lights are off you obviously can't see the blue sky but what you see are shining stars
post #171 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You hit the nail on the head LukFilm. The sky blue ceiling and clouds are UV resistant paint. Wont show up under black light. The stars will be the only thing visible in a pitch dark room.
post #172 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looks like a gorgeous room, xzener! Great job on the day mural. I'm amazed at the quality you came up with and I can't wait to see the nigh-sky mural. I know Jeff will steer you right.
post #173 of 322 Old 03-31-2011, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks jdanforth,

The room is AMAZING!! The wife and I spent a few minutes in there, gazing up at the dim ceiling lit up with the rope lights and reminisced on the last couple weeks. She is very happy with the outcome and said she was never worried... Knowing how much of a perfectionist I am. She's right though, but I'm amazed with the outcome (so far) and look forward to the rest of the build. I'm having such a blast building this.

Thanks again.
post #174 of 322 Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thought I'd share a pic showing the rope light diffusion.

post #175 of 322 Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Xzener,

Looks incredible..where did you get your rope lighting....Late to the thread sorry if you already covered it
post #176 of 322 Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got it from Lowes.
post #177 of 322 Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Xzener...

OK, I continue to be amazed at the look of your day-sky. It really came out looking nice. What so many people don't realize is that the theater room doesn't just have to be a theater room. It can double as a relaxation room too. I have so many people tell me that they will go into the theater room, turn out the lights, turn on some relaxing music and listen as they sit under the night sky. And, with your day-sky too, you can also put up some red lights and you can create a nice sunset up there too. Put your different colored lights on dimmers and you would have no stress left in your life. Or at least you would just smile at it while your friends get ulcers. :-)

I was thinking... your room is turning out so nice that after you do the stencil stars, I might be willing to add in a few more of the smaller stars too, besides the Milky Way. So, do what you feel comfortable doing... and then stop. I want that room to look as nice in the dark as it does in the day. Now, don't spread this around because everyone will do the stencil and then call me to add in extra stars, but that is looking so nice that I will help you out if you'd like.

Seriously nice look to the room. And, with the nice soffit that you have, the light from the projector and screen shouldn't bounce up too much, so your ceiling will be nice and dark.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #178 of 322 Old 04-01-2011, 05:50 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
One more quick thing.... I will help you with the small stars if you will show me how to do clouds like that. Deal? I have people ask me all the time if I do those too... but I usually have to find someone in their area to do that part before I arrive. It would be nice to do both.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #179 of 322 Old 04-02-2011, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Again NightSkyMurals... you are too kind. I would love for you to touch it up with smaller stars as well as the Milky Way. I just got finished with the stencil and am amazed at how well it looks. I only have an 18" black light at the moment, but it still looks great. Im a bit upset with the quality of the stencil. Like you said, some of the smaller stars look as though they used a pencil to pop the holes... but I think the wife and I did a great job anyway. I hope to take a couple pictures but feel I need more black lights to really charge them and get them ready for pictures.

I would be honored to allow you to put the final touches on an already AMAZING looking night sky. And feel very much obligated to teach you the extremely easy technique I used to paint the clouds. You will be surprised how easy it really is.

Thank you so much for all your help. I plan on throwing a BBQ when you arrive... As well as a movie to top it all off. Looking forward to your visit Jeff. Im very excited.
post #180 of 322 Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As promissed, here are some pictures of my nearly completed, fully functional theater room. I had my opening night last night, we watched Inception... What an outstanding movie, so glad it was our first.

Here is a shot of the screen wall (this was taken before I added blackout curtains). The image is a bit washed out by the light from the window...

Here is a shot of the seats, soffit and projector...

Here is a shot showing off the sky mural with the rope lights fully on...

And here is a shot of my spanking new Harmony 700 (its so amazing what these things can do in a theater room)

Hope everyone likes my room... I know I do. More pictures to come taken from a real camera (not a phone)

I still need to decide on a stage design and build it, decide on an area rug or carpeting, and order/install black lights in the soffit. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The wife and I are amazed at how the room looks. Can't beleive "I" did this. Thanks for everyone's help so far... I'm sure there will be plenty more questions in the near future.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page