Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 322 Old 04-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Very true,

I have just the black screen wall (well every things black lol) and the Screen just floats. I am thinking about adding black velvet curtains and and automated curtain rod so that when I am not watching movies the screen is covered. I just need to make sure I have enough room for curtain stack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 322 Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just received all my black lights... Oh my goodness what a difference, I put up two in one of the corners... Those star really POP now! I can't wait to get them all up there. Have a little electrical work ahead of me, I'd like to have them on their own circuit so I can turn them on and off to my liking. Maybe use my old Lutron Maestro (IR controlled) that would be nice... I'm so lazy. But, I have a few more days of spring break left, so this will have to wait a while. Might be able to get them installed this up coming Monday, we'll see.
post #213 of 322 Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I like the curtains idea better myself, when I saw the render of the shelves idea, it makes it feel more like a big TV, versus a theater.
post #214 of 322 Old 04-21-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I totally agree... I just picked up the two credenzas at Ikea... can't wait to get them home. Im visiting my Mom in Susanville, CA.
post #215 of 322 Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The credenzas are put together and look AMAZING in the theater room (pictures coming soon). $99 per credenza was a steal, they are very good quality and am happy with the amount of customization I can do with them. I was worried my Onkyo AVR and HTPC wouldn't fit, but the shelves are movable to where they'll fit nicely. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I also took a couple pictures of the ceiling area with the new black lights, I will post those here soon too.
post #216 of 322 Old 04-27-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wired up all the blacklights today. Plugged them into the Grafic Eye rope light socket... THE STARS LOOK SPECTACULAR!!!! I tried taking a picture, but my camera does it no justice. You gotta see it, I was awe struck.

I will be constructing a bracket to hold the Xbox Kinect to the bottom of the screen this weekend. Debating on running the wires through the wall??? We'll see.

I will post up some screens tomorrow.
post #217 of 322 Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Wired up all the blacklights today. Plugged them into the Grafic Eye rope light socket... THE STARS LOOK SPECTACULAR!!!! I tried taking a picture, but my camera does it no justice. You gotta see it, I was awe struck.

I will be constructing a bracket to hold the Xbox Kinect to the bottom of the screen this weekend. Debating on running the wires through the wall??? We'll see.

I will post up some screens tomorrow.

I am really looking forward to seeing it. What kind of camera do you have? Can you try and put it on a tripod and put it in Manual Mode (M), turn flash off, set Aperture to something like 4.0, and Shutter speed to about 5 seconds. Set it to shoot on timer of 3 seconds. You might have to experiment with the Shutter speed depending on how much ambient light you have going on.
post #218 of 322 Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

I am really looking forward to seeing it. What kind of camera do you have? Can you try and put it on a tripod and put it in Manual Mode (M), turn flash off, set Aperture to something like 4.0, and Shutter speed to about 5 seconds. Set it to shoot on timer of 3 seconds. You might have to experiment with the Shutter speed depending on how much ambient light you have going on.

I can try. Its an older Cannon... A point an shoot 8mp. It has a few different modes, but I usually just use auto. I will try a few different things and see what I can come up with. The problem with the black light is its UV... Cameras seem to expose more light than what the naked eye sees. I sure wish I had a really good DSLR, some professional pictures might just do it some justice.
post #219 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm still trying to fill that spot where I told that homeowner that I wouldn't be doing his theater room up in the Sacramento area. I think that I may have something in Fresno... and hope to be out there over the weekend still. I'll email you. But, I did a little practicing with the Canon 20D last night and got some really nice pictures of my ceiling... so we should be able to get some nice pictures of yours too.

You think it's nice now... just wait until the Milky Way and a few hundred (or thousand) stars are added to the mural. :-) Still can't wait to get out there. Don't give up on me. THis guy up in SAC messed things up by changing things over and over and over again until I'd had enough.

Sounds like it's working out for you already though. I'll be in touch.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #220 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update Jeff. Still anxiously awaiting your arrival... The mural looks AMAZING!!

Been messing around with my older Cannon A560. It has a feature to adjust the shutter speed, but I hardly notice a difference. I managed to get a couple good shots of it though.

This pic has been Photoshoped. I took a pic with the lights on and one with them off, cut and pasted them together. This picture has me wishing I'd gone with a black base color instead of a cloudy sky mural, it really looks like the ceiling/roof disappeared...

And here is one after I messed with the (minimal available) shutter speed adjustment feature of my camera...

Looking at the two photos side by side, I guess there is a noticable difference with the shutter speed lowered.
post #221 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And as promised, here are some more shots of the nearly completed theater.

post #222 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, its time to adjust my Harmony remote. Seems as though ultraviolet light hinders infrared light useless. When the black lights are on (eight 4 footers) my remote doesn't turn on my PJ, Xbox or PS3... My AVR is the only thing that works. Found this all out the hard way I guess.

Gonna have to add a delay to power everything else off as soon as the black lights are off and vise versa.

May end up getting an RF Harmony and using emitters, we'll see if I can fix it by adjusting power on/off settings on the remote first.
post #223 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmm... I was hoping to have some replies, guess everyone is busy.

I fixed the ultraviolet/infrared issue. Had to adjust when things are powered off, and added a delay to the PJ. All is well now.
post #224 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Totally frickin' awesome, xzener! Totally!

Very jealous! Way to go!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #225 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you very much Hanesian...

I wish my camera took better photo's... These pics seriously don't do it justice.

Now that the sun is down, I took a couple more shots. I played with Photoshop on this one, adjusting exposure, brightness and contrast. This one (on my computer) looks closer to the real thing...

EDIT: I've noticed the screen shots look MUCH better with my laptop as opposed to my 56" DLP.
post #226 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Xzener, Just absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!! I am so behind on my room you make me feel like a total slacker lol!!! Now that you put the credenza's in I totally agree that it looks perfect without the side bookcases.
post #227 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a pic of the bracket I built for the Xbox Kinect.

I'd like to wrap it with the same black velvet material I used for the screen frame, but I can't find the remnants. Oh well, I painted it black, that will do for now. Do youu guys think I should hide the Kinect wire in the wall, or am I going overboard??? I think that when I build the stage, it would be a waste of time... We'll see.

post #228 of 322 Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Xzener, Just absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!! I am so behind on my room you make me feel like a total slacker lol!!! Now that you put the credenza's in I totally agree that it looks perfect without the side bookcases.

Thanks Cheezit,

I totally agree... Thanks for the feedback on that. Can't wait for my wife to sew me some curtains for the screen wall when she is out of school for the summer.
post #229 of 322 Old 04-29-2011, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow! Very nicely done Xzener!
post #230 of 322 Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Liked: 10
xzener- I left PM for you , Meanwhile anyone knows or any suggestion what kind of paint used here for sky then clouds.

Any info appreciated.

Quote:

Well, what do you guys think?? Am I ready for the star mural??

post #231 of 322 Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Xzener - The ceiling looks amazing. I've been debating back and forth between a painted ceiling and a fiber optic ceiling. I really like the look of the painted ones - they definitely look more realistic.
post #232 of 322 Old 06-19-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I used an exterior paint for both sky and clouds. Exterior paint has UV protection which keeps the blacklight from allowing them to glow. The stars really do look amazing. Good luck with your star mural.
post #233 of 322 Old 06-19-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:

I used an exterior paint for both sky and clouds. Exterior paint has UV protection which keeps the blacklight from allowing them to glow. The stars really do look amazing. Good luck with your star mural.

I tried paint from Sherwin williams two days back and feels it is too dark so can you provide little more specific details like which store and which shade or color of the paint that you have used.

I checked your post earlier and understand that you have used rope lighting. When I tried to do the test run at my place it matches with some other post where you posted rope light diffusing effect.But you got very bright cloud here in this post which I like it, So the question is where does that much light coming for the clouds? So I am wondering you are using florescent lamp then rope light then black light to get the different mood ?

Thanks in advance.
post #234 of 322 Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I used Valspar High Def flat base, and found a swatch that looked like a sky blue. Don't recall the actuall color name. The clouds were painted with Valspar too, just a flat base. Make sure they are UV protected paint, you don't want the sky/clouds glowing in the black light.

As far as the cloud brightness.... That picture was taken with a flash. My rope lighting (not in use ATM) was bought at Lowes.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
post #235 of 322 Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used Valspar High Def flat base, and found a swatch that looked like a sky blue. Don't recall the actuall color name. The clouds were painted with Valspar too, just a flat base. Make sure they are UV protected paint, you don't want the sky/clouds glowing in the black light.

As far as the cloud brightness.... That picture was taken with a flash. My rope lighting (not in use ATM) was bought at Lowes.

Love the ceiling....!

post #236 of 322 Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Sure, I got few samples to try it out. I made a mistake of applying of paint last time directly on the ceiling to test it out which I need to cover it now with white coat then put the actual one.Damn!!!

I got some test board this time so going to try and pin it on the ceiling to see how it looks.
post #237 of 322 Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM

I have attached pics after my try at getting this cloud ceiling done. I am not really happy with the clouds so wondering to get someone to redo it. What do you guys think?

I am planning to add soffit to have the star ceiling next but I have question on how the lighting done.

As you can see it in the last two pictures, it pops out because I have used fluorescent lamp. So but it looks like there is NO blacklight rope lighting available because I was planning to use fluorescent to light the clouds then blacklight rope to power the stars. Is that possible?

What is the best option to pop the clouds and starts because I have very limited space in the soffit crown molding.
LL
LL
LL
post #238 of 322 Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I use (but currently have unplugged) incandescent rope lighting purchased from Lowes. It lights the clouds very well when fully lit.

I read your unhappy with your clouds. Luckily, you can just paint the sky blue over them and retry. My technique is really simple... Using a big round paint brush, dip it into the white paint. Then just let your arm have a mind of its own swirling, and stroking the cloud, the cloud should be more dense in the middle, and fade tward the edges (allowing some blue to show through). Try to make each cloud look different than the next. A couple small misty clouds here and there (using little to no paint on the brush).

Hope that helps.

So, the pictures above... Is that the size you have to work with as far as the soffit goes?? What are the dimentions of the ceiling??
post #239 of 322 Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 AM

Awesome job!

Thanks to AVS for helping me with my first home theater system!

Panasonic ST30, Klipsch RB-61 II, RC-42 II, Denon AVR-1611, dual Lava 10" subwoofers

post #240 of 322 Old 08-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
See you soon! Im at least in the same time zone as you... and should be able to be there Wednesday to just add a few things to your star ceiling. BTW... you did a great job already, so I'm not sure Ill have to do a lot, but Im excited to have you teach this non-artist how to paint clouds. I'm almost giddy. :-)

You'll love the Milky Way, I hope. I drove through Las Vegas a couple of nights ago... and when I was about an hour and a half away, I pulled over (no moon out so it was very dark), got out and stood, leaning up against my car for about an hour just taking it all in. The Milky Way was so incredibly bright. Amazing. I feel sorry for people who have never seen it. So... that is a must in your theater room ceiling.

Oh, one quick side note... I was practicing taking night shots with the camera and I was focused in on the Big and Little Dippers. While the shot was exposed... a huge, bright, long-lasting meteor flamed across the sky and burned out just after entering the frame that I was shooting. It looks really cool on the small screen of the camera. I can't wait to see how it looks on a large screen.

OK, I'm rambling. See you soon!

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page