The original concept of my screen has been created around a wooden frame with the screen fabric stapled on it.
This has well worked for about 3 years, until I recently discovered some waves on the fabric.
After a bit of disappointment, I decided to introduce a screen tensioning system to be sure that the fabric can stay well tensioned whatever happen to the wood frame (humidity, temperature and so on).
One of the firm points was about modify the screen frame and not rebuild him from scratch.
The final solution has been to use the same principle of cinemas movie screens: add a subframe using a rope all around for tensioning the fabric.
The subframe has been realized using aluminium pipes (10mm/0.39" diam.) connected to the wood frame via metal plates.
On the fabric side, instead of grommets (tools for a good work are too expensive) I've used nylon P-Clips, normally used for fixing pipes or cables.
The rope is an elastic one.
Without considering the painting of the metal parts in black, I've completed the upgrade in only one day.
I'm very satisfied with this upgrade: waves are disappeared and the projected images looks great as always!
Here are some pictures of the upgrade:
- Screen is down for frame upgrade
- Detail of the subframe with the pipe and the metal plate
- Subframe applied