DMan's Academy Theater: Reboot! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been around this hobby a long time. Some of you may remember me from the early days of AVS....most of you probably don't. I can remember when I signed up on here their were like a dozen members. My how time flys, forums grow, and membership exceeds all expectations.

I built my HT room back in the 1998/99 timeframe. Back then it was rather cutting edge with a CRT front projector, video scaler, Stewart screen, RCA DirecTV HD receiver, 5.1 Def Tech setup, etc..... but it was lacking by today's standards. I kept upgrading equipment until I became very ill in 2002 and was hospitalized fighting for my life. When I was released from the hospital I had a new lease on life and the "hot rod" bug bit me. So my HT hobby took a back seat (no pun intended). I still very much enjoyed my HT room for the past 8 years, but my room just became outdated over time and it is ready for an upgrade.

Originally I never planned to remodel this room, as I planned to build a new room in our next house. However since the housing market tanked, we're going to stay in this house for the forseeable future. My wife and I remodeled the kitchen last fall and it got us both thinking about the HT room so I sold off ALL of my A/V equipment over the spring and I'm starting to tear down the room and start from scratch.

Here are a couple of pictures of the old room

Here's the progress pics so far of the tear down....

Week 1

Week 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
From Definitive to Klipsch You are really going to town on the tear down. Looking forward to HT2.0.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

From Definitive to Klipsch You are really going to town on the tear down. Looking forward to HT2.0.

Well to be fair, I went from Klipsch to Def Tech and I'm returning to Klipsch.

Thanks for the post, I'm looking forward to this build as well. Some daunting tasks ahead of me, but I'm looking forward to making it fun. I need to quit buying equipment though as its making it harder to wait.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Damn! if this is me in 15 years times, you'll see me hanging from a tree......no way am I going to rip ours out when its done, never!....ok so you can quote that when it happens

Good luck with the rebuild, ripping stuff out like that is good fun, I love renovation work.....so long as you're not living amongst it and you've got the time

So whats the plan for this one?

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Maybe it's just me but I would have been happy with the old room!

Certainly am jealous of that Klipsch setup! Really looking forward to following your build. That's two Aussies on your subscriber list now!

Greg

Follow my thread here
Old 07-15-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Its got to be fun to start with a clean slate! I cant wait to see the progress. Do you have proposed floor plans for us to gander at?

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Old 07-15-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Nothing like the demo to "make a wondrous mess of things."

Do you have a plan in mind already? Looks like fun, I'm subscribed

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Old 07-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Darren, when are you and the wife gone? Klipsch Robber #1 wants to know.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity." General Maximus Decimus Meridius
Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't have any "firm" plans just yet for the rooms decor (working on that), but I do have an A/V equipment list....

LCOS/SXRD Projector
Panamorph or ISCO Lens
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray Player
*DirecTV HD receiver
*SMX 120" wide Pro-Curv 2.37:1 screen AT Cineweave HD
*Klipsch THX Ultra II 7.2 system
*Integra DTA 70.1 Amp
*Integra DHC-80.2
*Monster Power AVS-2000
*Monster Power HTPS 7000

*Have and waiting in storage for room to be finished.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan View Post

I don't have any "firm" plans just yet for the rooms decor (working on that), but I do have an A/V equipment list....

Epson 9500 UB Projector
Panamorph or ISCO Lens
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray Player
DirecTV HD receiver
SMX 120" wide Pro-Curv 2.37:1 screen AT Cineweave HD
Klipsch THX Ultra II 7.2 system
Emotiva amps (or Integra DTA 70.1)
Integra DHC-80.1 (or 80.2 if it's out when I'm ready to buy)
Monster Power AVS-2000
Monster Power HTPS 7000

That is a nice list. If i could part with one of my kidneys Id probably put together a very similar list. :-)

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

Old 07-20-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, worked on the room's layout/design a little bit and came up with the following using Sketchup. Everything is to scale, still working on color/decor issues but gives you a general idea of where I'm heading. I left one wall transparent to see into the room.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 AM

Is the door to the room the same door as before? Has the room's orientation reversed? Nice drawings in SketchUp. I love the 'head' representations.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18628239 View Post

Is the door to the room the same door as before? Has the room's orientation reversed? Nice drawings in SketchUp. I love the 'head' representations.

The room has indeed been reversed from the previous setup. The french doors are going bye bye, a new single door is going into the game room to the outside. The old door going in to the theater at the bottom of the stairs is gone and the new door is where the old rack was. Are we having fun yet?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I look forward to your version 2.0 conversion, so keep the pictures coming.

What will you do without the 3 eyed monster? I am curious as to why you cose the 9500, as I suspect you have done extensive research. You also need to give a comparison between your old PG and your new projector. I would be very interested in the differences you notice. Especially so, since I still have a dinosaur hanging from the ceiling.

The 120 inch wide screen will really fill the front wall nicely. Do you plan on any masking?

Mark
Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket_fan View Post

I look forward to your version 2.0 conversion, so keep the pictures coming.

What will you do without the 3 eyed monster? I am curious as to why you cose the 9500, as I suspect you have done extensive research. You also need to give a comparison between your old PG and your new projector. I would be very interested in the differences you notice. Especially so, since I still have a dinosaur hanging from the ceiling.

The 120 inch wide screen will really fill the front wall nicely. Do you plan on any masking?

Best I could ever do with my old PG was 720p and with 1080p being the norm with Blu-Ray and breaking out a little on DirecTV I knew I wanted something with a native 1080p panel. Also, with the kinks worked out with anamorphic lens setups, utilizing the entire 1920x1080 for 2.35:1 movies is VERY attractive as well.

I saw both a JVC D-ILA machine and the Epson LCD projector and the JVC had about a 5% better picture to my eyes......at nearly twice the price. For me the savings meant I could put that money towards the anamorphic lens. Also the additional brightness of the Epson unit will bode well for my wide AT screen.

As for masking, I will likely be using the Pro-Panels with my SMX screen.

The entire basment is getting a make over as well which is making this projects timeline grow even longer. But I'm enjoying it thus far.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No new pictures yet. Still removing wiring and drop ceiling from other rooms in the basement. Some updates to the room, I had the gas line in the Home Theater moved up into the overhead joists so that I can sheet rock the ceiling. Also had an HVAC guy out to see about re-routing all of the basement ducts. In addition to the duct work, I'm looking to upgrade the A/C unit and create a dual zone between the basement and the middle floor. Should hear back from him tomorrow with a quote. :Fingers crossed: Hoping this doesn't blow the budget out of the water. Stay tuned.....
Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whoever said deconstruction is fun, never had to contend with the issues that come along with it. For those building out a new room, I am envious beyond belief. I will say that being able to "redo" or "correct" mistakes from when the house was new and built are making me feel a little better.

I have the HVAC guys scheduled for 3 whole days (Aug 18,19,20). They will not only be completely removing the existing duct work and routing new, but also replacing my 13 year old unit with a brand new Trane. In addition, they are adding a thermostat in the basement for zone control between the basement and first floor. Pics coming soon.....
Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan View Post

Whoever said deconstruction is fun, never had to contend with the issues that come along with it. For those building out a new room, I am envious beyond belief. I will say that being able to "redo" or "correct" mistakes from when the house was new and built are making me feel a little better.

I have the HVAC guys scheduled for 3 whole days (Aug 18,19,20). They will not only be completely removing the existing duct work and routing new, but also replacing my 13 year old unit with a brand new Trane. In addition, they are adding a thermostat in the basement for zone control between the basement and first floor. Pics coming soon.....

We replaced our heat pump last summer with a trane unit and couldn't be happier. I hated to spend the money, but now the house is cooler and the power bill is down as well. Money well spent!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Old 08-10-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I remember you well ! Where is your dark glasses avatar for old time sake ?

Best of luck with your rebuild !!

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

Old 08-11-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

We replaced our heat pump last summer with a trane unit and couldn't be happier. I hated to spend the money, but now the house is cooler and the power bill is down as well. Money well spent!

Yeah, we had our upstairs unit replaced about three years ago with a nice Trane unit and it's been joyous ever since. The downstairs/basement unit is dwarfed by comparison, I'll have to take a pic it's kind of funny.

1 week to go till the HVAC phase begins!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I remember you well ! Where is your dark glasses avatar for old time sake ?

Best of luck with your rebuild !!

Art

Hey Art! Good to see you pop in here. I've quietly followed your HT room transformations over the years and just when I thought it couldn't get better than a double stack of G90s you went and changed it. Your room is amazing and along with a large list of others on here are very inspiring.

Great memory on the avatar BTW. I may bring it back for a good laugh or two!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Darren,

I feel like I remember you from the good ol' CRT days (who can say, though...10 years ago, yikes). I went digital years ago and haven't looked back, though I never had a decent CRT. Let's just say that I've never missed doing a manual convergence.

3 days of HVAC? Sounds expensive for a remodel.

Is there a reason you aren't considering the Panasonic AE4000 (or maybe you are)? In your situation, I think I would either do the AE4000 and save the extra money or go all out for a JVC RS15. In either case, I don't think the anamorphic lens is worth it. I lean heavily on the "bang for the buck" calculation, so I definitely see how you can end up paying double for that last 5% of performance. I generally put anamorphic lenses in that "last 5%" category. They are not without drawbacks, either, with the optical distortion they add. Ditching the lens also eliminates the need for a curved screen, which is another cost savings.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Good luck with the demo and the start of the new HT! I'm subscribed...I'll be curious to see how things come together.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Hi Darren,

I feel like I remember you from the good ol' CRT days (who can say, though...10 years ago, yikes). I went digital years ago and haven't looked back, though I never had a decent CRT. Let's just say that I've never missed doing a manual convergence.

3 days of HVAC? Sounds expensive for a remodel.

Is there a reason you aren't considering the Panasonic AE4000 (or maybe you are)? In your situation, I think I would either do the AE4000 and save the extra money or go all out for a JVC RS15. In either case, I don't think the anamorphic lens is worth it. I lean heavily on the "bang for the buck" calculation, so I definitely see how you can end up paying double for that last 5% of performance. I generally put anamorphic lenses in that "last 5%" category. They are not without drawbacks, either, with the optical distortion they add. Ditching the lens also eliminates the need for a curved screen, which is another cost savings.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Good luck with the demo and the start of the new HT! I'm subscribed...I'll be curious to see how things come together.

+1 ... I am very happy with my AE3000 (last year's model) and with the lens memory feature, I wouldn't consider a lens unless I was going all out. If I was going all out, I'd probably pick a different projector as well.

Yes, there are benefits to a lens and many here swear by them, but from my POV, the benefits are not worth the cost to me.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Before this thread gets too far off topic. Please note that a lot of my equipment I already own. I have the Epson projector already and I have the SMX curved screen already from the clearance sale. So I'm all set for an anamorphic lens. I get that some think this projector isn't up to the standards of one who is using a lens, but I disagree. I also feel that my lens and screen will likely outlast my projector choice as those will not be as quickly upgraded as potentially the projector will be.

Anyway, before I get more projector/screen recommendations (which I do appreciate BTW) please know I do own those already so I'm not shopping around for those items.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with Art about the old Avatar. Bring back the cool dude

So permit me to take a trip down memory lane too.

Darren is the reason I got bitten by the Home Theater bug. I had the good fortune of his being the first real home theater I had seen. I had been in the so called theaters in the homes in upscale model homes. But his was done himself and had picture quality I had never experienced.

I have this vivid memory of him demoing a high def source. It was a scene in the movie Miss Congeniality where Sandra Bullock walks out of the hanger in a tight dress. The picture quality had me hooked. That was almost a decade ago, and high def was novel.

Darren helped me out with the design of my room, gave me great advice and set up my CRT projector. He is a true gentleman and a great asset to AVS. So Darren, I am sure your new theater will be grand, and if there is something I could help with, let me know.

Mark
Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM

Mark, too funny. Darren corrupted me, too. Between him and Terry, no one had a chance in Atlanta.

BTW, keep in mind Darren has gotten old[er].

Old 08-13-2010, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket_fan View Post

I agree with Art about the old Avatar. Bring back the cool dude

So permit me to take a trip down memory lane too.

Darren is the reason I got bitten by the Home Theater bug. I had the good fortune of his being the first real home theater I had seen. I had been in the so called theaters in the homes in upscale model homes. But his was done himself and had picture quality I had never experienced.

I have this vivid memory of him demoing a high def source. It was a scene in the movie Miss Congeniality where Sandra Bullock walks out of the hanger in a tight dress. The picture quality had me hooked. That was almost a decade ago, and high def was novel.

Darren helped me out with the design of my room, gave me great advice and set up my CRT projector. He is a true gentleman and a great asset to AVS. So Darren, I am sure your new theater will be grand, and if there is something I could help with, let me know.

Mark,

Thank you for those kind words and the trip down memory lane. I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying your HT room. Sounds like we need to pick up the Atlanta Home Theater Group again. Probably some rooms out there now that will blow away what we were doing back in the day.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18628239 View Post

Mark, too funny. Darren corrupted me, too. Between him and Terry, no one had a chance in Atlanta.

BTW, keep in mind Darren has gotten old[er].

Pipe down there skippy, I'm still younger than you! Though I'm quickly catching up.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Darren,
I miss the enjoyment I got out of learning about Home Theater. I was like a kid in a candy shop. Each bit of knowledge leading to the next sweetest piece. I feel like I came to the party late as far as the Atlanta Home Theater Group goes. But I did enjoy seeing all of the great things folks came up with for their theaters. Your room was well designed and comfortable. I envy your new from scratch build. You can use all that you learned from the first build, and take care of all the little things. I am sure your room will rock. Post lots of pictures.

I have a question for you. What sort of remote are you going to use? I spent big bucks for a Pronto 9600, and have really enjoyed it.

I have made numerous upgrades over the years downstairs. Spent much more than I should have on many things, but the basics are the same after 8 years. Your list of equipment looks to be right on the money and a great bang for the buck system. Would like to do the things you are doing, but finances preclude it. I am kinda where you were. I am sinking time and money in an old '65 Mustang and leaving the HT as is.

When you finish, maybe you could have an Atlanta Home Theater Group reunion.

Mark
Old 08-14-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I was wondering why we had never hooked up to meet each other yet....and then I stumble into this thread! You've been busy. Looking forward to seeing the changes.

tony

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread