Bella Cineama construction Dedicated Theater build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-16-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finally got the ok to construct our home theater. I started about a month ago and started converting our basment into a theater. I compromised and instead of turning the entire basement into the theater 1/2 is a bedroom. the theater side is about 12 feet wide 18 long and 7 feet finished height. the other side has a counter/ concessions area. Basics are: 2 rows of 3 or one row of 3 with a short riser and a large sofa on the back wall. screen is around 106. Attached are links for some concept pics i did in 3d, so far the walls are studded out, and back recessed cabinet for av stuff is made. I also have made cabinets for speakers which are stained a nice dark walnut as will all the trim and sign. i have ar-3a speakers for front and rear surround. I have celestion sl6's for side surrounds, and a jbl l100 for center. and a powered sub. I was hoping to use the center stage xd material so i could put the front speaker behind the screen but id be up for some thoughts on materials. Bad pics i know they are pics of pics, ill post better ones soon. there is the frame for the sign marquee for the back wall. Those sconces in the images are just place holders. i was going to make some acoustic panels/movie posters for the inside of the theater... I have just about all my electrical done, but i need some help with a few things. i have a grafik eye 3106 that im hoping to control all my lights. the rest of my system includes an epson 1080p projector, marantz blu ray player, marantz av8003 and mm8003, Cant wait to get this done! Ill get some more pics as soon as it doesnt look so messy down there!

http://img8.sellersourcebook.com/use...1279302895.jpg
http://img8.sellersourcebook.com/use...hoto_11111.jpg

http://img8.sellersourcebook.com/use...59/photo_4.jpg
http://img8.sellersourcebook.com/use...59/photo_3.jpg
http://img8.sellersourcebook.com/use...59/photo_2.jpg
http://img8.sellersourcebook.com/use...59/photo_1.jpg
http://img8.sellersourcebook.com/use...59/photo_5.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Sounds like you've got a good start. I've read good things about the center stage XD material, dont think you can really go wrong with that or SMX screens.

Do you have any plans for soundproofing? Seems like turning half the basement into a bedroom and the other half into an HT is a recipe for trouble if you dont address sound.

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of CanntonĀ 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to do the research on sound proofing now... The bedroom concern really wont be an issue since it is only for the wifes relatives or guests when they are in town, we have 2 additional bedrooms upstairs... so this one is more of an auxillary bedroom or multipurpose room, maybe if it doesnt get much use i can take it over and put the movie collection over there... i am putting my arcade machine in one corner and the concessions in the other... I am wondering if i really need to worry about sound proofing much, we usually watch movies together, i play games so maybe theres the reason to do it, but i want to make sure that the room is nicely acoustically ballanced. Id be open to suggestions and what should i do as far as insulation? Any thoughts? My electrical gets done next week so id like to move forward and get the insulation in and get on to dry wall. I was looking into a thread on making acoustic panels that looked nice, making them look like movie posters... looked promising. Man! So over budget
post #4 of 12 Old 07-17-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sound isolation in your theater is key to hearing the full soundtrack. The more outside noise you eliminate the easier it is to just listen to the soundtrack. The average room ambient noise is in the mid 30db and the quietest soundtrack noise is in the mid 20db. So if you do not eliminate the outside noise coming in you have to increase the overall noise of the soundtrack in order to hear the lower noise and then creating even more sound that transmits through the house. I recommend making the sound isolation a priority at this point. In order to address it later will have you ripping what you have already done out and redoing it. See my thread if you want to know how that works out. LOL

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #5 of 12 Old 07-18-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Checked out your build! Wow it really turned out nice! Any suggestions for sound isolation. I know i have at least one issue... I am going to have a large 4 foot opening on the right wall. My wife wouldnt let me put in a door... It was a compromise and the first obsticale just to get the project started. i was planning on a motorized drape for that area. The front wall (screen wall) is concrete as well as the left side wall. The right walls are new and the back wall is new, just studded out. Id be up for suggestions. I was planning sound panels/ movie posters for the front rear and then doing a ceiling mural sound panel backed. I dont have tall ceilings so that is a major issue. they are 7 feet when the floor and ceiling are in. Oh and did i mention its a basement?
post #6 of 12 Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

maybe something like this for the ceiling treatment. those arent the final posters, going with something different...
LL
post #7 of 12 Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am a little stuck, i was hoping someone here would know the answer. I have a ge 3106 and want to use 3 zones for can lights and 3 zones for led low voltage lights. Do i need to do anything special? i am just not sure if i have to buy that loutron ballast or if i just need to put in a transformer. any help would be appreciated. Id like to be putting up sheet rock next weekend and this is putting things on hold.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Yes ... you will likely need an interface (TVI). It really depends on the LEDs you are using. Gather up the make/model of LEDs and contact Lutron's tech support.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #9 of 12 Old 08-07-2010, 04:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
There are two standards, or recommended best practices, for sound isolation depending upon the objective:

1. In room ambient noise level. This is defined as NR or NC 21 or lower (STC does not count since it ignores sub 125Hz frequencies and was never intended for this application in the first place ... so don't use it). In simple terms, with all environmental elements (HVAC, fans, equipment, etc.) running the ambient noise level in the room should be NC/NR 21 or lower. Using dBSPL as an example, if the ambient noise level is 32dB in room, you must lower that to 21dBSPL. 30 to 35 is typical of a residence. Basically, you need to lower the noise floor by 11dB. [NOTE: you cannot use dBSPL for accurate measurement against the NC/NR curves; but, you will get close.] Thus, your isolation strategy is to reduce noise entering the room, or noise from stuff YOU put in the room.

2. Avoid noise contamination outside the space. The generally accepted metric here is that you will not increase ambient noise levels outside the room by more than 3dB. Let's put this in simple context: the dynamic range is from 22dB to 105dB ... 115dB for low frequency. Thus, if your ambient noise level in an adjacent room (or neighbor's apartment) is 33dB, your sound isolation strategy needs to address a requirement to reduce noise transfer by 79dB. Once again, using dBSPL will get you close; but, that is not the method used to determine NR/NC. For reference, a baby screaming or crying loudly is on the order of 130dB ... I'm sure OSHA will try to regulate that level of noise pollution at some point.

Neither of these goals is easily achieved and likely not by anyone other than very skilled and experienced individuals and contractors. One can, however, see the effort to prevent noise pollution in adjacent spaces is a much different challenge than keeping in room ambient to NR21!

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #10 of 12 Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

heres a quick update... getting ready for insulation, the back av area is there... front screen area.. old screen.... pile of flooring! got one poster/sconce/ sound diffuser finished, the others need the outside frame. small concessions area going to have a counter with popcorn and bar with fridge. drywall is going up this saturday!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #11 of 12 Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

aand a few more pics... i convinced the wife to use the majority of the other space for a concessions area, arcade machine, but we do have to have a bed still in that room for guests... ;-/
LL
LL
LL
post #12 of 12 Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well did insulation drywall and painted the past few weeks... and put in the floor last night and made the speaker "stands/cabinets... need to make the grills and finish building them.
LL
LL
LL
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page