Static blackout window film - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking for a static blackout window film. I have 8 windows that I would like to black out completely. I really like the idea of static so it could be removed at a later date.

Anybody have any suggestions. I noticed Amazon had some films listed, but I think they are actual stickers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Have you read the cautions on using black out films on double pane windows?

this vendor has a large array of films including static cling, but the blackout is not static cling.
http://www.concordwindowfilms.com/fo...ple_order.html
post #3 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
At at least some point in the day my windows get direct sunlight. They face north and we do have lots a trees behind the house.

What is the danger on double pane windows?

Thanks for the link.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust View Post

At at least some point in the day my windows get direct sunlight. They face north and we do have lots a trees behind the house.

What is the danger on double pane windows?

Thanks for the link.

Heat buildup between the panes that can blow out the inert gas that sealed between the panes.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I don't have any direct experience with the issue but when the vendor indicates that the black out product is not approved for use on double pane windows it is for a reason. I believe it has to do with heat build up and the effects on the air tight seal required to the window functioning properly. It becomes really obvious when a window loses it seal as the interior begins to haze over. You think the window is dirty but when you try to clean it you discover it is on the inner surfaces.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Gila has a privacy cling film which is safe for double pane windows if you do an outside mount.

http://www.gilafilms.com/Residential...vacy-black.htm
post #7 of 8 Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 AM

Liked: 10
In the window film industry, what we call blackout film would allow no light to pass through and I don't know of any static cling blackout film. You could leave the adhesive protecting clear cover sheet on the standard blackout film and use it in a static cling type installation. However, on sun exposed, dual pane windows, a blackout film can absorb more heat than the window unit can handle and you could experience seal failure or glass breakage. We do have films that allow no light transmission, a silver reflective opaque film for example, that would generally be a safe installation on dual pane glass. Also, window film that is not static cling can still be removed from the glass if desired.

By the way, that gila film is dark tinted, not opaque.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust View Post

Anybody have any suggestions.

This might not be applicable to your situation, but here's one of the DIY approaches I once used for my bay window (which is made up of a lot of relatively small panes): I built packets out of printer paper, clear tape, and kitchen foil, sized to fit each pane. A piece of stiff wire pressing against the trim around the pane was enough to keep it all in place:

Upsides: The foil is 100% opaque. It's easy to try and super cheap.

Downsides: It's ugly as sin on the inside if you don't have blinds or curtains covering it. It's kind of a big pain if you ever do want to quickly peek out of the window, but you'd have the same issue with opaque window tinting. Finally, direct sunlight is really, really bright and if there's the slightest crack around the panel it can light up the entire room. My window takes direct sunlight in the morning and the tiny slivers of light making it around the edges of the panels were enough to show through the interlocking vinyl blinds I had covering everything; it's this last issue that finally drove me to remove the panels and cover the window with large seamless pieces of blackout material.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page