Cyclone Cinema Build - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #361 of 555 Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks Steve! You have been a HUGE help.

Right now it looks like the center of my lens would be above the screen by about 10" max. Maybe even less, depending on the depth of my mount. My soffit is only 7" deep, and the projector itself is 7" deep so it will stick out below the bottom edge slightly.

Thanks again Steve.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 555 Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Well, no more projector recommendations. I just ordered an RS45 from Mike Garrett at AVS! He was awesome to work with and I would definitely recommend working with him if you are in the market.

Now I just need to determine the best approach for a low profile projector mount. Mike gave me a few good ideas, but I need to dig into it a little deeper before ordering a mount.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #363 of 555 Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I went to Ames today to visit a jobsite. Afterwards I swung by Seymour AV and picked up my screen. Chris was a great guy and gave me a quick tour of his shop. Its a very nice operation he has going there.

In other news, my pocketbook is quite a bit lighter, as I made a few more purchases the last few days...pictures to come as they arrive and get installed.

Brian

post #364 of 555 Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
That's exciting news. Screen in hand and projector on the way. Look forward to seeing them installed.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #365 of 555 Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought my RS45 from Mike, AND I bought my screen fabric from Chris, too! Though I didn't get a chance to visit his shop. I'm jealous!

My home theater build thread

post #366 of 555 Old 04-27-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Check out what the dog drug in....

Brian

post #367 of 555 Old 04-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegravley View Post

I bought my RS45 from Mike, AND I bought my screen fabric from Chris, too!

Same here..

post #368 of 555 Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Congrats on the PJ. I just hooked mine up today and am projecting on a sheet. It looks amazing right out of the box projected on a white sheet, I cant wait to see what it looks like when I get the screen in.

post #369 of 555 Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

I didnt do much picture worthy in the basement this weekend. installed some more trim, painted the A/V closet, installed a couple door latches.

I did build a couple of thresholds. Its times like these, when I am happy i have a good table saw.

Here is the one for the the transition into the storage room.

And here is the one for the transition into the theater room

I wanted to make the theater threshold slightly higher than 3/4" to make sure the automatic door bottom did not interfere with the carpet. So the 1/2" MDF (same thickness as the installed laminate) was glued to the bottom of the 1/2" oak threshold I made on the tablesaw. I put a decent bevel on the threshold in an attempt to minimize any tripping hazard...time will tell if it was enough.

I received a package of dye in the mail on Friday and was going to stain the thresholds and trim, but they sent the wrong color. I called them up on Saturday and they apologized and said they would send out the correct color free of charge and to just keep the wrong color. That color will probably get here late this week.

I checked in on the status of my screen frame. Sounds like a shipment of velvet was delayed and that my screen should get finished up and hopefully shipped by late this week.

In other news. We bought a bed frame/headboard for the basement bedroom. While furniture shopping, I ran across theater seats we really liked. I measured them at the store and thought that would fit...so we bought them (to be picked up this past weekend). Fast forward to the day I was supposed to pick them up...I thought I had better measure one more time to make sure they fit (I knew seating was going to be tight)...turns out they are about 4" too wide. So long story short, I will need to go with my original plan of buying seating from Roman. We got a full refund so not a big deal.

Finally, my question for the day:
I had the theater room measured for carpet on Saturday. My room is 12'x18'-6" (225 FT2). I got a phone call today saying that the room was going to require 300 FT2 of carpet. That seems like an awful lot of waste to me. I could see them adding a 10% safety factor, but 25% seems like too much to me. Am I just off base here? I understand there are some vertical edges that need to be carpeted (for the riser/stage), just not 75 FT2 worth.

I ended up going with more of a standard carpet without a pattern if that matters.

I told them I was going to get another estimate before I made a decision.

Brian

post #370 of 555 Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

I scheduled another carpet measuring appointment for next monday. If they also come back with 25% extra carpet, I guess I was just unaware they required that much extra.

The rest of the basement progress has been pretty boring. I finished installing the toe kick for the cabinets, the painted side for the cabinets and installed the last of the baseboard trim and all the quarter round. Nothing picture worthy.

Brian

post #371 of 555 Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

My wood dye came in the mail yesterday, so I should be able to stain the last of the woodwork this weekend. I hosted poker night on Wednesday night, but last night I was able to work in the basement.

The AC is down at my house, and it was pretty warm and humid - so we focused on the bedroom.

I laid down the pad/area rug, put together the bed and put together the end tables and dressers (from my wifes trip to Ikea, that had been sitting in the boxes unassembled).

Here is the entrance into the spare bedroom.

I put the armoire together last, and it was getting late, so the doors have not been adjusted to match the gap all around.

Here is the rest of the bedroom.

We focused on the bedroom because it was much more comfortable to sleep down there. I am buying a condensing unit, A-coil and a new lineset from a buddy (his dad owns a residential HVAC company), but we are not installing it until Memorial Day weekend, so we will be without air for quite some time yet.

And finally, my RS45 has some company on the kitchen table...my receiver arrived a few days ago.

I am getting pretty close to begin installing some of the equipment. I wanted to wait until carpet is in before getting too ahead of myself...we will see how much self control I have. I have a feeling that when the projector mount arrives it will be too much....

Brian

post #372 of 555 Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Room looks great. Good to see it's not just me that has equipment sitting in boxes, waiting for that day when they get to breathe again...

post #373 of 555 Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Went back home to visit my parents this weekend. After I got home I managed to get a little bit of work completed downstairs.

I installed the rack shelves into the AV rack and set some of my equipment in. I didnt take a picture, as its only a start.

Inside the av closet, I installed the speaker terminal plate.

I also made electrical box extensions and installed them on my front screen wall. I then installed the speaker terminal wall plate for the front three speakers....here is a bad picture...

Here is a closer picture. This plate did not have any print telling which terminal goes to what, so I just used a sharpie. I think that will be right behind my center speaker, so I have not painted it black.

A new carpet installer is coming to measure tomorrow, so I decided to install the threshold. It is dyed and has a coat of shellac sprayed on. When I put poly on, it seems to lighten things up a bit and bring out the grain and looks a little better. Here is the door open...

Here is the door closed on the theater side...

And finally a picture of the door closed from the hall side...

And to end the night I built all my speaker cables. The lengths should be fine for now, I might them as required when I finally get around to doing cable management (in a few years)

I also dyed the last of the baseboard in the theater room and touched up a couple places.

I need to check on the status of my screen frame from Jamestown. I ordered it on 4-13 and I still have not heard on a ship date.

Brian

post #374 of 555 Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Progress is progress!

------

post #375 of 555 Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I need some carpet installation opinions. Some background:

I am trying to get carpet measurements for my theater room. I selected a frieze (short twisted) carpet thinking that it would be easy to hide my seams. I specifically added the stained harwood edges so there would be no edges to wrap.

My room is 12'-3" wide and 18'-6" long. That comes to 226 SF. That should take care of the top of the riser, the top of the stage, the top step and the floor between the stage and the riser.

Add in some carpet for the vertical edges:
8" tall riser X 16' for the two exposed edges 11 SF.
If you want to seam at the corner of the riser you would need two 12' strips of 8" carpet changing that 11 SF to 16 SF.

For the stages vertical edges:
12" tall x 13'-6" when accounting for the angles. This would require two 12' wide strips at 12" tall giving 24 SF.

This leaves me with 260 SF of carpet with plenty of scrap

Now, I got a quote from Lowes that requested 300 SF of carpet. I originally thought this quote was WAY too high. I think they are still slightly high (15% after seaming has been accounted for)

Because I thought the Lowes quote was high, I went to Home Depot to get another opinion. They came in with some fancy tablet PC and a laser tape measure and started drawing the room. I thought I would get a good quote from them, as they seemed to be taking a detailed layout. Well, they called yesterday requiring 360 SF! PLUS, they wanted $213 to install the steps and the riser. I politely told him he was wasting his breath and that I would be buying from somewhere else. Not only did they have 28% more carpet than necessary, they wanted that much extra just to do the stage and the riser.

So my question is, do I just go with Lowes, or do I shop around more? I already gave away $50 when I paid to have HD measure (Lowes did it for me for free, as I waited 15 minutes before being helped).

Brian

post #376 of 555 Old 05-09-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

I asked James for a screen frame update. He said it "looks to finish the 2nd half of this week."

Hopefully it ships this week. I am not really happy with how long this deal is taking, but to be fair he has promptly answered all emails (within the day). Its just a good thing I ordered this a month ago.

My projector mount is scheduled to arrive on Friday, so I might be projecting onto a sheet to "test" my projector this weekend.

Brian

post #377 of 555 Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Personally; I think you would be much better off taking what you have learned from these two big-box estimates and check out a reputable/established Mom and Pop business.

We shopped both when we did our entire basement (over 700sq') in a "frieze" style carpet.

In the end I think there were 3 sizeable pieces of leftovers that totaled no more than 30 sq'of scrap

(less than 5%). My opinion more than 10% excess means a very unique install or inexperienced estimator. Besides the locally owned business has a reputation to uphold , the big box installers are another story.

Just my 2cents worth

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #378 of 555 Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Personally; I think you would be much better off taking what you have learned from these two big-box estimates and check out a reputable/established Mom and Pop business.

We shopped both when we did our entire basement (over 700sq') in a "frieze" style carpet.

In the end I think there were 3 sizeable pieces of leftovers that totaled no more than 30 sq'of scrap

(less than 5%). My opinion more than 10% excess means a very unique install or inexperienced estimator. Besides the locally owned business has a reputation to uphold , the big box installers are another story.

Just my 2cents worth

Thanks for the input Craig. I am starting to think that might be the best route. I dont want to spend an arm and a leg for the carpet in there, which is why I looked at Lowes/Home Depot. But if they are going to quote the extra square footage, maybe I can spend the same on better carpet with a more precise installation measurement.

Brian

post #379 of 555 Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Brian,

You are pondering carpet - just as we are revisiting some plans to carpet a couple of spare bedrooms. Our shopping this next time around will be NO MORE than two locally-owned independently owned shops, (the 2nd source will just to be sure we are in the ballpark on pricing).

At this point; I expect that we will end up with the same guy who did our basement - he was very good, last time around he beat the big box pricing, and really took his time measuring and laying out his installation "plan" (location of seams etc..).

Good Luck in moving on to other sources

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #380 of 555 Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Some carpet is available in 13' 6" widths.

And maybe check out the remnant section for end of rolls. Some of these end of rolls push 30'.
post #381 of 555 Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I want to read up on best practices for running/splitting coax. I dont want to bore you all with my questions, I just want a knowledgable place to go read up.

Here is what I am trying to do:
Right now I have everything being split in my garage. In the future I want to move my router/equipment to my basement.
This means I will need to:
-split some lines off to the existing circuits in the garage
-send signal to the basement av closet for internet/additional cable tv splits

Its hard to explain, so I would like to just read up for my own personal understanding. I am sure some of you have found good places to learn this stuff.

Brian

post #382 of 555 Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a little weekend progress to show.

Here is a center speaker stand I built out of scrap wood I had laying around the garage. It has a shelf for my subwoofer amp and a shelf for something else if necessary (I mainly put a second shelf in there to help the stability). I also added some blocking to keep the whole thing from racking.

After the picture was taken, it was painted flat black.

I installed a makeup air vent below my rack to provide air to the A/V room when my temperature controlled exhaust fan kicks in.

Then I did this...

and this....

I turned it on for a bit just to check the projector out, to make sure it worked as I had not run it since receiving it a few weeks ago. That projector is SO QUIET. I needed to put my ear right up to it just to hear it all all - projector noise should not be a problem. The picture looks amazing, I cant wait to see it on a proper screen.

Speaking of screens. I emailed Jamestown again on Friday. I received an email saying that the screen frame should finish and ship on 5-14...one month and two days after I ordered it.

I also hooked up a center channel and the subwoofer. Buttkickers not required! I cant wait to get my statements and the full system hooked up and EQ'd!

Brian

post #383 of 555 Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

The carpet and countertops have been measured and ordered. Counters are out 2-3 weeks and the carpet is out about 2 weeks.

Screen should ship today (hopefully)....getting closer

Brian

post #384 of 555 Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking good as usual Brian. The "finish" line is just around the corner!

I like the look of your thresholds. Did you use PL or Liquid nails to install, or something else? Anything underneath since they are directly on the concrete?

post #385 of 555 Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Looking good as usual Brian. The "finish" line is just around the corner!

I like the look of your thresholds. Did you use PL or Liquid nails to install, or something else? Anything underneath since they are directly on the concrete?

I used PL premium. I used it when building my THT and fell in love with it. I bought some PL300 (or something like that) and it didnt seem to have the same tackiness that the PL premium had.

I took a chance and put it directly on the concrete. The basement floor has been super dry, so hopefully I dont run into any warping issues...time will tell. I thought about putting a layer of tar paper between the floor and the threshold, but I didnt really want to tapcon it to the floor (mostly I didnt want to ruin the smooth look with screws).

Brian

post #386 of 555 Old 05-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
regarding the cable TV issue...... is there any way you can get the catv co. (don't get me started, but I assume Mediacom) to come out and give you signal level readings from the input point to your house's cable distribution? This will give you the numbers you need to calculate where to split and where to amplify.
You are looking for no less than 0 dbmV and no more than 10 dBmV on analog channels to each outlet. CATV splitters typically have their loss value for each port printed on them. Cable modems will need less signal level relative to TV's as their carriers are digitally modulated and
operated at lower levels 6-10 dB lower depending on modulation type (QAM 64 or QAM 256). PM me if you would like more detailed distribution assistance from a former TCI, ATT, Greedicom headend tech.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #387 of 555 Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselfest View Post

regarding the cable TV issue...... is there any way you can get the catv co. (don't get me started, but I assume Mediacom) to come out and give you signal level readings from the input point to your house's cable distribution? This will give you the numbers you need to calculate where to split and where to amplify.
You are looking for no less than 0 dbmV and no more than 10 dBmV on analog channels to each outlet. CATV splitters typically have their loss value for each port printed on them. Cable modems will need less signal level relative to TV's as their carriers are digitally modulated and
operated at lower levels 6-10 dB lower depending on modulation type (QAM 64 or QAM 256). PM me if you would like more detailed distribution assistance from a former TCI, ATT, Greedicom headend tech.

Thanks for the info weasel. You are correct, I do have Mediacom.

I am going to be making some changes in the neat future - as in keeping mediacom cable internet, but dumping their cable TV. I am going to switch to Direct TV as my introductory rate with Mediacom is about to expire.

Will this help with the signal? The full mediacom signal can be directed to the cable modem, and the full Direct TV signal can be directed to the 3 receiver boxes.

I might PM you in the future when I get closer to modifying my installation. Thanks for the offer!

Brian

post #388 of 555 Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Liked: 14
I just did this. I switched from Comcast TV/Internet and went with Comcast Internet/DirectTV. I LOVE it. DirectTV is just much better, imo. It has great features that work well, like the pause a show in one room - watch it in the other.

Also, the video compression on DirectTV is better that Comcast. The pricing wasn't too bad either.

You will deal with signal issues during a storm. I've had my dish for about 6 months, and I've had two shows partly cut. That's a MUCH better rate than I had with Comcast, which cut shows ALL the TIME.

My home theater build thread

post #389 of 555 Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

When the installer came to measure for countertop, I had attached three support boards to the walls to hold up the new countertop. The guy measuring mentioned that it would probably be sufficient, but if possible he wanted a little more support installed.

Here is what he asked for

Here is the front support added for support. I rounded the front edge over to avoid a sharp edge in case people end up sitting at the counter.

I need a suggestion for trimming around my AV rack. I can do white painted trim, stained wood trim to match the door, or painted black trim. Any suggestions?

Here is a picture

Brian

post #390 of 555 Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Personally I'd do the painted black. I think the stained should be left only on the door to keep it unique and preserve that "grand entryway" feeling. The white next to the black rack with all of those black components would stick out too much for my taste.

Just my 0.02.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page