4Likes

post #541 of 555 Old 11-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice thread and great build.

Couple of questions on your status of things:

1. How did you like the Jamestown Screen. Is it holding up? Any negative issues?
2. How did you make out with the damaged laminate floor and the fix for it?
3. I don't remember any photos of yout THTLP build, can you post pictures?
4. Where did you end up putting your two subwoofers? Can you post pictures of the locations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 555 Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I can answer #4. He just recently placed one in the back of the room and one up front. Both will end up front though...

OK. I am sure that he can answer more specifically than that.

tongue.gif
post #543 of 555 Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuanwater View Post

Nice thread and great build.

Couple of questions on your status of things:

1. How did you like the Jamestown Screen. Is it holding up? Any negative issues?
2. How did you make out with the damaged laminate floor and the fix for it?
3. I don't remember any photos of yout THTLP build, can you post pictures?
4. Where did you end up putting your two subwoofers? Can you post pictures of the locations?

Thanks for helping Nick. You are correct, one subwoofer (the THT) is up front behind the screen. My other sub (currently a BIC) is in the back right corner of the room. I have the driver sitting in my garage waiting for the second THT to be built - I just havent gotten around to it yet. I will do a better job of documenting the process this next time around.

To answer your other questions...

1: Although it took longer to receive the screen than I would have liked, it has worked perfectly. In fact, I have pulled the screen down multiple times to adjust something (or just to show visitors). It comes down, and goes back up easily - and it has always stayed square and tight. Overall, I am VERY happy with the screen.

2: I actually haven't fixed the laminate yet. We had our first child in February and she is keeping us busy. If I wouldn't have to uninstall the quartz countertop and cabinet, I probably would have done it already. If/when I do decide to fix it, I will take a bunch of pictures.

3: There might be one or two pictures from my first THTLP build somewhere in this thread, but as I stated above, I will do a much better job this next time around documenting the process.

4. Nick was correct that I will be putting them both behind the screen when the second one is complete. They are just too big to have out in the open - plus I have room behind the screen, so it makes sense in my situation.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them.
post #544 of 555 Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Brian,

I thought I would give your thread a bump and wish you a Happy Belated New Year! Hope all is well?
It's been a number of months since we compared notes.

Sending you a PM in a few minutes.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #545 of 555 Old 01-14-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Brian,

I thought I would give your thread a bump and wish you a Happy Belated New Year! Hope all is well?
It's been a number of months since we compared notes.

Sending you a PM in a few minutes.

Cuzed,

All is well and good out here in Iowa. Hope you are doing fine as well.

Thanks for bumping my thread, I have been neglecting it lately. Because of the bump I thought I would give a quick update on my recent projects (unfortunately none of which are HT related).

First, a bearing on our front load wash machine went out, so we were forced to replace that unit. That snowballed into a new wash machine and dryer (they have to match you know), and while they were moved out we decided to tile the laundry room floor.

Those with a keen eye above will note the poker table turned into a baby changing table...the things a guy will do for his kid...

The nice part of having the laundry room floor tiled is that I can continue to tinker with the room over the course of this next year. I need to make some storage cabinets, get some countertops installed and get the sink hooked up (all of which were put on hold while waiting for some time to tile the floor).

After the tile project was complete I moved onto a painting job. My wife and I have been promising each other a king size bed for years now and finally pulled the trigger as a Christmas present to each other. We found a clearance bedframe at Homemakers, but it was stained wood and beat up (both dealbreakers for my wife). We ended up buying the bedframe on the condition that I fix it up and paint it....which was great for me because it allowed me to buy another tool - I am now the proud owner of a Titan Advantage 400 airless sprayer! I was torn between a HVLP and an airless sprayer - both had their own merits but I ultimately went with the airless mainly for future projects.

Because the transfer efficiency of airless sprayers can be less than ideal, I was forced to install a "paint booth" in my garage. It seemed like a pain to build, but worked great.

Here is the bedframe before 6 hours of sanding, wood filling and resanding...

Here is a picture of the frame in the paint booth after 1 coat of primer...

...and here is the finished product...

The tiling and bedframe were completed over the holidays during the short periods we were not on the road. For my last project, my coworker (who helped me tile) wanted to build a built-in entertainment center for his home. I wasnt about to tell him no after he helped me tile (plus I enjoy this type of thing) so we got busy this past weekend and built it last Saturday and part of Sunday.

Nothing too fancy, but it turned out nicely. All shelves are dado'd and the back panel of the center section is inset 2" in dados to hide wiring.

I am now in the process of painting two old end tables to be used next to our bed, they have been sanded and have one coat of primer but are still waiting for paint.
post #546 of 555 Old 01-14-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Looks good. Can I spend a few hours in your paint booth some time? biggrin.gif
post #547 of 555 Old 01-14-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Looks good. Can I spend a few hours in your paint booth some time? biggrin.gif

Anything for an Iowa State fan!
post #548 of 555 Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

First, a bearing on our front load wash machine went out, so we were forced to replace that unit.
I thought I remembered seeing a video of your "bearing" going out...

Washing Machine
post #549 of 555 Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Brian,

VERY Nice job on the headboard and entertainment center projects!

So for your laundry room Saga:
I'll bet that bearing failure was on 5~7yr old whirlpool Duet?

Looks like I will be shuttling between Ames and DesMoines for the long MLK weekend.
Helping my brother in DSM pre-wire his basement man-cave remodel, and will be borrowing my son from ISU to help pull wire biggrin.gif

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #550 of 555 Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

I thought I remembered seeing a video of your "bearing" going out...

Washing Machine

Wow. I didn't have to fix any drywall in the laundry room so thankfully mine didn't go like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Brian,

VERY Nice job on the headboard and entertainment center projects!

So for your laundry room Saga:
I'll bet that bearing failure was on 5~7yr old whirlpool Duet?

Looks like I will be shuttling between Ames and DesMoines for the long MLK weekend.
Helping my brother in DSM pre-wire his basement man-cave remodel, and will be borrowing my son from ISU to help pull wire biggrin.gif

Cuzed, thanks for the kind words.

The washer was indeed a whirpool, but it was there when we bought the house. Very well could be from that time period though. I kicked around the idea of tearing it apart to fix it, but decided it probably wasn't worth my time.

As for your trip to Des Moines, if you run into some free time, you are more than welcome to stop by and check out the theater. I will be helping a buddy finish his basement bathroom remodel on Friday night and Saturday, but I should be free all day Sunday. Feel free to bring your son along, Cyclone fans are always welcome! Send me a PM and I will get you my phone number and address if you are interested.

Also, I am sure you have it covered, but if you end up forgetting any tools and need to borrow something, just holler.
post #551 of 555 Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Brian,

Very generous of you; and hopefully our work schedule will allow us to have a quick stop-by, at least a chance to meet.
Right now I have a vehicle very full of tools and equipment (hopefully I have all of our needs covered).

I'll be sending you a PM when I have a better feel for our timeline - Thanks Again!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #552 of 555 Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's been quite awhile since I have posted last - I guess that happens when there is no theater progress. Aside from raising a little one, I have been keeping busy with some side projects (unfortunately not in the theater).

Some updates - in the order of completion since my last post.

First I tiled a buddies basement floor with a friend (the buddy we were doing this for was in another state for officer training). This was also the basement that I helped frame, wire and drywall. The floor had a big slope to a floor drain in the adjacent storage room, so we had to first level the floor. In the future I will build a custom transition from the tile floor to the storage room floor.

Dried leveler the next morning

Bathroom before grout

Start of the main room

Finished product

It's a lot of work, but very gratifying to see the final product.

The next project was a built in storage system for my sister-in-law that lives nearby. This was a Christmas present from my wife and me to them - I just didn't get it completed until March.

Main closet

Small closet

You can't really see from the pictures, but the shelves are dado'd into the main vertical support. The shelves were all pre-painted with my airless sprayer with the fine finish tip (it just does such a great job - much better than a brush or roller). Everything went pretty smoothly with the exception of the bulging plaster walls.

The last project I have been working on has been planned since we have owned our house. While I was finishing my basement, we also converted the open master dining/living room into two separate rooms. This allowed us to make a nice laundry room where the master dining room had originally been (that we have never intended to use). During this process, I roughed in the dryer vent, domestic water and drains for the laundry in addition to a rough in for an additional sink for the laundry room.

Here is the framing for the "sink"

The sink is actually a terazzo mop basin...

There will be tile all around the mop basin. You can also see the rough in's for the sink trim. We are doing a shower head on an adjustable rail on the wall to the right, and a typical mop basin faucet on the back wall.

The next part of the laundry room project is the cabinets. I got some very preliminary pricing for cabinets and they were going to be more than I wanted to spend, so I decided to build my own (still trying to decide if that was a good idea!)

Here is our daughter inspecting the pile of plywood

Here is the start of one of the two main storage cabinets. I have dado'd the small compartment for adjustable shelving.

Here is the upper cabinet that will be located between the two main cabinets

Here is a picture of how I attached the face frame to one of the large cabinets. I think the dado's on only one side of the plywood released some stresses in the wood and caused a slight bow in the panel. I clamped a 6' level to the panel before attaching the face frame.

The three main cabinets that will be located on the wall opposite the mop basin and W/D

Pieces cut for the shaker style doors

Quite a bit of table saw work, as I don't have a bit set to make these with the router

One of the doors for the center cabinets

I think I have some wimpy clamps...

A couple of the big cabinet doors

Here are the three doors for one of the main cabinets. I used poplar for all portions of the cabinet. The plywood was really nice, but the hardwood lumber left a lot to be desired. Almost every piece had a twist, or a bow, or was wavy. It was a real pain to try to find boards good enough to use for the doors (and face frames).

Here is the only picture showing the set of drawers I will use next to the W/D, it is still waiting for a face frame in this picture. You can also see in this picture the upper cabinet for above the W/D.

While building the cabinets I needed to build some door jamb extensions for a couple doors for my buddies house. I wanted to get these done before I started to paint my cabinets, as they needed to be re-primed.

This past Sunday there was no wind, so I started priming. Here are the two doors having the jamb extensions primed.

Here is one picture of the priming process

One thing I did not anticipate was the bird poop from the robins flying overhead...some of them missed...while others were direct hits...mad.gif

As of right now all components have had one coat of primer applied. I have the doors sanded down and have to sand the cabinets at some point this week. While sanding the primer, I found that there was a little color showing through the first coat of primer, so it looks like everything will need another coat of primer before I start with the real paint. It's unfortunate, because its a lot of work, but I guess its better to do it right the first time instead of having that color show through after the cabinets are installed in the laundry room.

Theater related update.

One of the next things I would like to do is work on measuring my room with REW (BEFORE I build sound treatments). I have a UMIK, but I cant seem to get the levels set correctly. If anyone in the DM metro area has an SPL meter that I could borrow, I would appreciate it (even better if they have a microphone that I could use to test against mine).

The results from my meter have never seemed correct, and a whole lot of doubt surrounds that microphone after the troubles they had with my release of mics. It could also be an incorrect set up on my part in the REW software too...

I also have all the components available for a second THTLP (amp driver, etc) but I will not be starting that until the laundry room is complete (or at least until I am at a stopping point)
post #553 of 555 Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 106
You've been busy. Glad to see you back around! smile.gif
post #554 of 555 Old 06-14-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Has something happened since the forum upgrade? I can't see your pictures brausch.

Not liking this update at all yet...

Mfusick likes this.
post #555 of 555 Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Has something happened since the forum upgrade? I can't see your pictures brausch.

Not liking this update at all yet...
Nick,

I don't know what happened. Some of the pictures work, some don't.

It's a shame...that last update was picture intensive! I will fix the links later if necessary. Everything seems to be really slow with this update.

Although I am not a fan of this update, I wasn't a fan of the previous update either. I wish they would go back a couple revisions.
Mfusick likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction